Best Class B Girls Player Ever?

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re: Best Class B Girls Player Ever?

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:32 am

east sider wrote:Nina Topp is probably the best I've ever seen. I don't know many of these other women, so I'm just saying...

She's a good one, on a side note I can't believe they awarded a "tri-miss basketball" that year.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:12 am

My list would be Nadine Schmidt, Lynette Mund, Wanda Scwab, Whitney Meier, Nina Topp, Katie Richards, Angie Welle, Pat Smykowski. Tanya Fischer, and Katie Lorenz. When we're talking the best ever I think you have to limit it to a top 5 or top 10....the people that really stand out above the rest.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 am

ndlionsfan wrote:My list would be Nadine Schmidt, Lynette Mund, Wanda Scwab, Whitney Meier, Nina Topp, Katie Richards, Angie Welle, Pat Smykowski. Tanya Fischer, and Katie Lorenz. When we're talking the best ever I think you have to limit it to a top 5 or top 10....the people that really stand out above the rest.

Great list except Welle was Class A
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tigger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 am

The Schwab wrote:
east sider wrote:Nina Topp is probably the best I've ever seen. I don't know many of these other women, so I'm just saying...

She's a good one, on a side note I can't believe they awarded a "tri-miss basketball" that year.

Why not? All three girls that won it that year have been mentioned here.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 am

Baller wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:My list would be Nadine Schmidt, Lynette Mund, Wanda Scwab, Whitney Meier, Nina Topp, Katie Richards, Angie Welle, Pat Smykowski. Tanya Fischer, and Katie Lorenz. When we're talking the best ever I think you have to limit it to a top 5 or top 10....the people that really stand out above the rest.

Great list except Welle was Class A

Yeah, my fault.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 am

Tigger wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Because there have been many instances where there were multiple players deserving of the honor, and those years they picked just 1. I'm not saying that the 3 that year weren't all deserving, but they should have picked just one, just my opinion.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:28 pm

scc wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Tigger wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Because there have been many instances where there were multiple players deserving of the honor, and those years they picked just 1. I'm not saying that the 3 that year weren't all deserving, but they should have picked just one, just my opinion.

You can't break a tie on a secret ballot vote. A three way tie isn't ideal, but the fact they were all Class B players led to the beginning of the NDHSAA Senior award.

So how did they break the tie between koenig and craig nelson? I heard there was a questionable decision during that vote.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:57 am

I never saw Lisa Maus play, and Richards only at UND where she was pretty good, but I'd put Topp at the top that year(pun intended). I think she was a 5 year starter, definitely 4. Took her team to at least 3 State Appearances and TOPPed (I'm on a roll) it off with a Championship. And she went D1 but blew out her knee, so no one will ever know how good she could have been after HS.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Hinsa wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Girls aren't getting better? Really? Well I disagree with you, they are getting bigger, faster and stronger. If you put her 1 on 1 with any player you listed I feel she beats them, and she makes her teammates so much better, I respect your opinions but I feel you are way off

Schwabby, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I feel the quality of play is down as well, at least in the Northeast. I firmly believe the good teams of the 80s would easily handle the good teams of today. Ballhandling skills are not as good, shooting percentages are not as good. And I dont' think the athletes are bigger either. There were lots of 6' and over post players in the 80s. The full court pressure I see played today is nothing compared to what the Hope Hustlers would do to you in the 80s.

So I respectfully disagree with you Schwab.

HInsa and Schwab: First of all this will totally date me :D ...I used to play against the Hope "Hustlerettes" in the early 80s and they were so imtimidating. How many Irhys were there? It seemed like it never ended. I believe Heidi Ihry was one of them that could plant and swish more consistently then many today. THere were more that followed but I graduated and can't remember the quick little ones for the mid 80s. MOM
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Beth Ihry's athleticism was phenomenal - very fast, very feisty. Went to UND and together with Whitney Meier, Durene Heisler, and ? Chase (6'4" from Devils Lake) helped Gene Roebuck get his career rolling at UND.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Hinsa wrote:Beth Ihry's athleticism was phenomenal - very fast, very feisty. Went to UND and together with Whitney Meier, Durene Heisler, and ? Chase (6'4" from Devils Lake) helped Gene Roebuck get his career rolling at UND.

I agree with you on Beth Ihry, and she also played with her sister Sarah who was a year older. I believe Beth went on to start her college career at Lake Region to play for Roebuck there, and then transferred with him to UND.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportslover77 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Hinsa wrote:Beth Ihry's athleticism was phenomenal - very fast, very feisty. Went to UND and together with Whitney Meier, Durene Heisler, and ? Chase (6'4" from Devils Lake) helped Gene Roebuck get his career rolling at UND.

The girl from Devils Lake was Colleen Chaske.
sportslover77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dolphinfan20 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:58 pm

east sider wrote:I never saw Lisa Maus play, and Richards only at UND where she was pretty good, but I'd put Topp at the top that year(pun intended). I think she was a 5 year starter, definitely 4. Took her team to at least 3 State Appearances and TOPPed (I'm on a roll) it off with a Championship. And she went D1 but blew out her knee, so no one will ever know how good she could have been after HS.

Topp WAS a five year starter. Made the winning bucket at the buzzer in the semi-finals of the state tournament to put her team in the state championship game when she was an eighth grader. Also scored at the horn to get her team into the state tournament as a junior. She lead Midkota to 4 state tournament appearances in five years where they finished 2nd, 8th, 3rd, and finally got a state championship when she was a senior. Pretty impressive!
dolphinfan20
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 pm

dolphinfan20 wrote:
east sider wrote:I never saw Lisa Maus play, and Richards only at UND where she was pretty good, but I'd put Topp at the top that year(pun intended). I think she was a 5 year starter, definitely 4. Took her team to at least 3 State Appearances and TOPPed (I'm on a roll) it off with a Championship. And she went D1 but blew out her knee, so no one will ever know how good she could have been after HS.

Topp WAS a five year starter. Made the winning bucket at the buzzer in the semi-finals of the state tournament to put her team in the state championship game when she was an eighth grader. Also scored at the horn to get her team into the state tournament as a junior. She lead Midkota to 4 state tournament appearances in five years where they finished 2nd, 8th, 3rd, and finally got a state championship when she was a senior. Pretty impressive!

I don't want to take anything away from Maus or Richards, but Topp's career was so strong and accomplished that it was strange that they felt it was a 3-way tie at all. I think the 2nd year of the Miss Basketball award they split it between a Class A and a Class B player which is somewhat more understandable.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby east sider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:48 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
dolphinfan20 wrote:

I don't want to take anything away from Maus or Richards, but Topp's career was so strong and accomplished that it was strange that they felt it was a 3-way tie at all. I think the 2nd year of the Miss Basketball award they split it between a Class A and a Class B player which is somewhat more understandable.

Agreed. I remember when they announced it and Maus and Richards were named, and my sister was about to storm the court in protest b/c nobody expected a third name, then they finally said Topp last. Does anybody know how many career points all these girls ended up with? I think all of them averaged around the mid 20s their senior years.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 am

Well after watching Benz play for a 5th time this year last night, She is definatly in this discussion, I would put her top 10.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 am

The Schwab wrote:Well after watching Benz play for a 5th time this year last night, She is definatly in this discussion, I would put her top 10.

I would have to agree. I have seen her play a dozen times in the last 2 years and she is about as well rounded a player as I have seen. (She is not a great outside shooter but I bet she can become one if thats what her college coach wants.) Great work ethic, great temperment, good ball handler, very good rebounder/shot blocker (for the HS level) and good leadership qualities. She is fun to watch and I look forward to seeing her play in Minot next weekend1
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:32 am

I know that other people will disagree with me, but I just ask you to watch the girls state tournament next weekend (if you haven't been able to see her play) you will not be disappointed.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:24 pm

I agree she is a very good player watched her play a bunch. But we get a little carried away sometimes about some kids these days. We forget how truely good and how many great kids north dakota has had. Top 10 player in the HISTORY of class b girls basketball are you sure you want to go that far. Is it without question she has been the best player in the state by far the last two years. If you cant say that its a little hard to say she is top ten ever!

The Schwab wrote:Well after watching Benz play for a 5th time this year last night, She is definatly in this discussion, I would put her top 10.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:36 am

rock83 wrote:I agree she is a very good player watched her play a bunch. But we get a little carried away sometimes about some kids these days. We forget how truely good and how many great kids north dakota has had. Top 10 player in the HISTORY of class b girls basketball are you sure you want to go that far. Is it without question she has been the best player in the state by far the last two years. If you cant say that its a little hard to say she is top ten ever!

Yes I would, no questions asked, she won a region championship this year by putting the entire county of Kidder on her back. Last night when the game was on the line and everyone in the gym was going crazy their was one poised face in that gym, it belonged to her, one of the better coaches in the history of ND girls bball probably spent the entire season thinking of a way he could contain her, and it simply wasn't possible. She is close to 6 foot, handles the ball like a PG and can shoot with either hand. I have no doubts when I say she is one of the best every in ND. I'm sure I will be disagreed with telling me how great these players from the 80's were, Eli Benz is better than almost every single one of them, no questions asked.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:51 am

My question is, is she even the best girls basketball player in the state this year?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:09 pm

ndfan wrote:My question is, is she even the best girls basketball player in the state this year?

Yes, without question
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:53 pm

The Schwab wrote:
rock83 wrote:I agree she is a very good player watched her play a bunch. But we get a little carried away sometimes about some kids these days. We forget how truely good and how many great kids north dakota has had. Top 10 player in the HISTORY of class b girls basketball are you sure you want to go that far. Is it without question she has been the best player in the state by far the last two years. If you cant say that its a little hard to say she is top ten ever!

Yes I would, no questions asked, she won a region championship this year by putting the entire county of Kidder on her back. Last night when the game was on the line and everyone in the gym was going crazy their was one poised face in that gym, it belonged to her, one of the better coaches in the history of ND girls bball probably spent the entire season thinking of a way he could contain her, and it simply wasn't possible. She is close to 6 foot, handles the ball like a PG and can shoot with either hand. I have no doubts when I say she is one of the best every in ND. I'm sure I will be disagreed with telling me how great these players from the 80's were, Eli Benz is better than almost every single one of them, no questions asked.

^^^^I have a new nominee for Common Man's Preposterous Statement tournament for next year!

First, the level of play is WAY down in comparison to what it was in the past. Are there still some great players absolutely, but the depth of teams and the overall fundamental skill level is not even close. I have seen Benz play at least 5 times and she is not even close to that level of play. You are saying she is better then Kleinsasser who was at one time the NCCs all time leading scorer. Or Nadine Schmidt or Lynett Mund who were two of the best players in D2 history! She is a talented player, deserves all the recognition she has gotten and will get, but she is no where close to those players.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:05 am

One player who is being forgotten about is Kami Winger from Midway-Fordville-Lankin from the early 90's. Finished with over 1,800 points and is the state all time leader in rebounds with just short of 1,600. she has over 200 more rebounds then Fieckert who is second. Went on to be a 4 year starter at UND as their Power Forward and scored over 1,000 points in her career which included 3 national titles.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:25 am

InTheKnow wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

^^^^I have a new nominee for Common Man's Preposterous Statement tournament for next year!

First, the level of play is WAY down in comparison to what it was in the past. Are there still some great players absolutely, but the depth of teams and the overall fundamental skill level is not even close. I have seen Benz play at least 5 times and she is not even close to that level of play. You are saying she is better then Kleinsasser who was at one time the NCCs all time leading scorer. Or Nadine Schmidt or Lynett Mund who were two of the best players in D2 history! She is a talented player, deserves all the recognition she has gotten and will get, but she is no where close to those players.

Ok so then she's four, so she is better then almost every single one of them.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics