Best Class B Girls Player Ever?

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re: Best Class B Girls Player Ever?

Postby inky » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Wanda Schwab is no doubt one of the top 5 girls in ND history. Have to list her before the Leiers.

Audrey Enockson- Parshall gotta be in the top 10
Favrein to Harvin!
inky
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 am

Fischer from Bowman was obviously the best scorer, but imo Nadine Schmidt from Braddock was the best all around player.
I find it interesting that none of us are bringing up any players from the last few years, seems like every girl mentioned was from 10 yrs ago or more. :?:
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mplsfan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:12 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Fischer from Bowman was obviously the best scorer, but imo Nadine Schmidt from Braddock was the best all around player.
I find it interesting that none of us are bringing up any players from the last few years, seems like every girl mentioned was from 10 yrs ago or more. :?:

Which is unusual on these posts. Seems normally no one can see beyond 3 years ago when talking about "the best ever" which I always find to be really short sighted. I didn't ever see Tonya Fischer play in person but I did see Nadine Schmidt and thought she was amazing. Admittedly I haven't seen all of these girls (women now) play but Nadine is the first one to come to my mind when I think of the best. Also saw Pat Smykowski and Lynette Mund play. They have to be at the top of my list as well.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:44 am

Where did Whitney Meier go to high school? Was it Rolla?
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Rolla is correct. She was all-everything for them, and Stacy Dagner was the sharpshooter from the outside.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby jtdc492 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Hinsa wrote:Rolla is correct. She was all-everything for them, and Stacy Dagner was the sharpshooter from the outside.

You must be from that area to remember Stacey. She was a classmate of mine til they moved to Rolla.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 am

jtdc492 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Rolla is correct. She was all-everything for them, and Stacy Dagner was the sharpshooter from the outside.

You must be from that area to remember Stacey. She was a classmate of mine til they moved to Rolla.

Nope, I had the challenge of trying to put together a defense to stop Rolla. We got lucky and managed to harass Dagner into a poor shooting night. Meier still got her points but we held down the rest of the team.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby justafan86 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 pm

The Waldal's were outstanding and the Leier's were very good as well, but neither should be even be in this discussion. And while Tanya Fischer may hold the scoring record, Laura Hummel played before they put in the 3 point line. Can't imagine what her final totals might have been had she played with it. In my mind, Hummel is the greatest, hands down. Nadine Schmidt is a very close second. Pat Smykowski, Whitney Meier, Rebecca Fiekert and Lisa Herner are up there in the discussion as well. A couple that haven't been mentioned are Melissa Hagel (Balta) and Betsy Emerson(Beach). Should college careers be considered when trying to determine the best ever or are we talking HS alone?
justafan86
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 am

justafan86 wrote:The Waldal's were outstanding and the Leier's were very good as well, but neither should be even be in this discussion. And while Tanya Fischer may hold the scoring record, Laura Hummel played before they put in the 3 point line. Can't imagine what her final totals might have been had she played with it. In my mind, Hummel is the greatest, hands down. Nadine Schmidt is a very close second. Pat Smykowski, Whitney Meier, Rebecca Fiekert and Lisa Herner are up there in the discussion as well. A couple that haven't been mentioned are Melissa Hagel (Balta) and Betsy Emerson(Beach). Should college careers be considered when trying to determine the best ever or are we talking HS alone?

Where's Wanda Scwhab from Esmond on your list?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:06 pm

I would throw Eli Benz into this discussion already.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:33 pm

she is a very good player but that is a little unrealistic.

The Schwab wrote:I would throw Eli Benz into this discussion already.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 pm

rock83 wrote:she is a very good player but that is a little unrealistic.

Why is that unrealistic? All of the other players mentioned played before her, and players constantly are getting better, so the competition is better. I would say she's top 10 all time.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:59 pm

In no particular order
Lynette Mund
Pat Smykowski
Molly Anderson
Lisa Herner
Ruthie Dockter
Rachel Otto
Tonya Fischer
Nadine Schmidt
Pat Smykowski
Laura Hummel
Whitney Meier
Sherry Kliensasser
Nicci Schorsch
Chelsea Hausauer
Jessica Zundel
Andrea Ronderos
Katie Lorenz
Leah Klabo
Lisa Maus
Whitney Meier
Here is just a few that you might want to list first. Girls are not getting better and the competition is not getting better. The skill and competition level has actually went down hill. The good girls are still very good, but kids dont work on skills as much. Name a player that has the post moves of jessica zundel or ruthie dockter. Name a ball handler that can dribble with the skill of molly anderson etc.

The Schwab wrote:
rock83 wrote:she is a very good player but that is a little unrealistic.

Why is that unrealistic? All of the other players mentioned played before her, and players constantly are getting better, so the competition is better. I would say she's top 10 all time.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:21 pm

rock83 wrote:In no particular order
Lynette Mund
Pat Smykowski
Molly Anderson
Lisa Herner
Ruthie Dockter
Rachel Otto
Tonya Fischer
Nadine Schmidt
Pat Smykowski
Laura Hummel
Whitney Meier
Sherry Kliensasser
Nicci Schorsch
Chelsea Hausauer
Jessica Zundel
Andrea Ronderos
Katie Lorenz
Leah Klabo
Lisa Maus
Whitney Meier
Here is just a few that you might want to list first. Girls are not getting better and the competition is not getting better. The skill and competition level has actually went down hill. The good girls are still very good, but kids dont work on skills as much. Name a player that has the post moves of jessica zundel or ruthie dockter. Name a ball handler that can dribble with the skill of molly anderson etc.

Pretty good list except for you have Whitney Meier and Pat Smykowski on their twice, you're missing Wanda Schwab and Katie Richards, and I don't think Hausauer and Klabo belong on there
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Girls aren't getting better? Really? Well I disagree with you, they are getting bigger, faster and stronger. If you put her 1 on 1 with any player you listed I feel she beats them, and she makes her teammates so much better, I respect your opinions but I feel you are way off
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:40 am

Jessie Slinde
Lyndsey Eliason
Wanda Schwab
Jen Lunde
Maren Loe
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 am

I thought Katie Lorenz from langdon was a excellent player not the best probably but I'd put her up there. Lindsey eliason for central valley was another good one
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:35 am

Could probably throw Leah Klabo and Laura Shauer on that list too...

There have been some good players go through the system...
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:49 pm

The Schwab wrote:Girls aren't getting better? Really? Well I disagree with you, they are getting bigger, faster and stronger. If you put her 1 on 1 with any player you listed I feel she beats them, and she makes her teammates so much better, I respect your opinions but I feel you are way off

Schwabby, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I feel the quality of play is down as well, at least in the Northeast. I firmly believe the good teams of the 80s would easily handle the good teams of today. Ballhandling skills are not as good, shooting percentages are not as good. And I dont' think the athletes are bigger either. There were lots of 6' and over post players in the 80s. The full court pressure I see played today is nothing compared to what the Hope Hustlers would do to you in the 80s.

So I respectfully disagree with you Schwab.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Hinsa wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Girls aren't getting better? Really? Well I disagree with you, they are getting bigger, faster and stronger. If you put her 1 on 1 with any player you listed I feel she beats them, and she makes her teammates so much better, I respect your opinions but I feel you are way off

Schwabby, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I feel the quality of play is down as well, at least in the Northeast. I firmly believe the good teams of the 80s would easily handle the good teams of today. Ballhandling skills are not as good, shooting percentages are not as good. And I dont' think the athletes are bigger either. There were lots of 6' and over post players in the 80s. The full court pressure I see played today is nothing compared to what the Hope Hustlers would do to you in the 80s.

I will agree with Hinsa. Your reference to Hope is dead on! There were so many strong teams in the 80's from the east like Hope, Maple Valley, Finley-Sharon, North Central , etc., and many didn't ever make it to state. Finley-Sharon played with a 6 footer, and Hope had probably the fastest athletes in the state. I tell many young players today that they don't need fancy gyms with costly traveling teams...if they could just dribble on a gravel driveway with a rubber ball, they could be an all-stater...lol!
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm

That's the truth, too! Just ask Larry Bird! Playing ball on a gravel driveway with an old hoop nailed to a barn is what he contributes his success to.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby justafan86 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:54 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
justafan86 wrote:The Waldal's were outstanding and the Leier's were very good as well, but neither should be even be in this discussion. And while Tanya Fischer may hold the scoring record, Laura Hummel played before they put in the 3 point line. Can't imagine what her final totals might have been had she played with it. In my mind, Hummel is the greatest, hands down. Nadine Schmidt is a very close second. Pat Smykowski, Whitney Meier, Rebecca Fiekert and Lisa Herner are up there in the discussion as well. A couple that haven't been mentioned are Melissa Hagel (Balta) and Betsy Emerson(Beach). Should college careers be considered when trying to determine the best ever or are we talking HS alone?

Where's Wanda Scwhab from Esmond on your list?

i'll throw her into the discussion, but she won't make my top 5. and katie lorenz, totally forgot about her. definitely, definitely in the discussion as well.
justafan86
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:20 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

I will agree with Hinsa. Your reference to Hope is dead on! There were so many strong teams in the 80's from the east like Hope, Maple Valley, Finley-Sharon, North Central , etc., and many didn't ever make it to state. Finley-Sharon played with a 6 footer, and Hope had probably the fastest athletes in the state. I tell many young players today that they don't need fancy gyms with costly traveling teams...if they could just dribble on a gravel driveway with a rubber ball, they could be an all-stater...lol!

I think the state championship teams now would beat the teams from the past, but that's my opinion and you have yours, and I respect that. I will NOT change my stance on Benz, she is around 6 foot, handles the ball like a point guard, doesnt shoot enough (maybe too unselfish) can shoot with either hand, and is one of the better passers I have seen. She plays with poise and leadership. I notice that some people have thrown Leah Klabos name into this list, basketball skill wise Benz is leaps and bounds ahead of her.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmyb » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:45 pm

SCCconferenceinsider wrote:Nadine Schmidt, Braddock, 1987

Agree 100%
luvmyb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby east sider » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 am

Nina Topp is probably the best I've ever seen. I don't know many of these other women, so I'm just saying...
east sider
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics