All-Decade team of the 80's

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

All-Decade team of the 80's

Postby BB11 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:39 pm

We've done the 90's and 00's - How about the 80's for some of us older timers.
My team -
PG - Ben Jacobsen - Mayville - Portland
SG - Chris Lamoureax - Newburg
SF - Todd Olson - Cavalier
PF - Scott Guldseth - Edinburg
C - Les Jepsen - Bowbells
OTHERS:
Brian Buhr - Page
Rob Stefoniwicz - Divide County
Jason Haagenson - Leeds
Sheldon Braaten - Rhame
dude Lavin - Hatton
Doug Gerving - Glen Ullin
Chipper Hanson - Hillsboro
Pete Erickson - Kenmare
Argue to your hears content - These are just off the top of my head - I'm also thinking of a guy from Hettinger - I believe that played in the early to mid 80's - a Uecker or something like that. I remember his game but not his name.
Any others that I missed.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Re: All-Decade team of the 80's

Postby tommykramer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:23 pm

BB11 wrote:We've done the 90's and 00's - How about the 80's for some of us older timers.
My team -
OTHERS:
Brian Buhr - Page
Jason Haagenson - Leeds
Sheldon Braaten - Rhame
dude Lavin - Hatton

Haagenson graduated in 92, and Chipper graduated in 91. A couple other names that could be possibilities are Waters and Rotvold from Hillsboro, Dennis Beck from Linton, Ross Heningsgard from Tolna, Mark Hochstetler from Wolford, Burckhard from Lakota,and Aronson from Crary (yr?). Not sure who's better, but these guys are a couple of names that came to mind right away.
Pete Erickson - Kenmare
Argue to your hears content - These are just off the top of my head - I'm also thinking of a guy from Hettinger - I believe that played in the early to mid 80's - a Uecker or something like that. I remember his game but not his name.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:57 am

Thanks, I wasnt sure about Haagenson and Hanson - I knew they were close to the end of the 80's and beginning of the 90's. Beck and Rotvold would be good additions. By the way for all viewers - this topic would be for CLASS B PLAYERS ONLY.
Also, as I was looking through my list - I think I would take this top 5 over any other decades five best in Class B. There are 4 Mr. Basketballs in Jacobsen, Lamoureaux, Olson, and Guldseth, and one NBA player in Jepsen. Not too shabby for small town Class B.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby old lineman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:34 pm

Uecker handle MP in the state championship game in 1983. He is worthy. How about Dave Agnes, Lyndon Hoshtetler, Kyle Meyer of Hillsburro, Jerry McLean of Hatton
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND_9296 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:29 pm

A couple of others from the early 80's who I never saw play in high school but who were good college players at UND were Roland Jacobs (Center?) and Pete Stewart (Parshall).
UND_9296

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:20 am

Kevin Burkhardt from Lakota was awesome...Star for Lake Region, and later stared on a Northern State team that I think was national runners-up. Doug Waters from Hillsboro was excellent, as was Dennis Beck from Linton. A name not often mentioned is Lance Renville from Watford City...he could play. Kyle Morehart from Hillsboro was a stud. He can still bring it at over age 40...numbers don't tell his story. dude Lavin from Hatton was spectacular. Finally, Todd Olson and Scott Guldseth...say no more, two of the best the state ever produced.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Kevin Beerman (sp?) Newburg. He seemed clumsy, but he had some impressive numbers for Newburg and was a key ingredient with Chris on that team.

Dennis Beck rocked!

Wasn't there a stud from Hazen. They made the state tournament in 86 was it???

Rothman from Washburn?

Steve Poitra from Underwood was tough. I believe he was an all region when they lost to Newburg at Regionals in Minot. Gotta love those chairs at the Minot Auditorium, they are stacked just about right on top of one another. Some great games of basketball have been played there.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:38 am

BB11 wrote:Thanks, I wasnt sure about Haagenson and Hanson - I knew they were close to the end of the 80's and beginning of the 90's. Beck and Rotvold would be good additions. By the way for all viewers - this topic would be for CLASS B PLAYERS ONLY.
Also, as I was looking through my list - I think I would take this top 5 over any other decades five best in Class B. There are 4 Mr. Basketballs in Jacobsen, Lamoureaux, Olson, and Guldseth, and one NBA player in Jepsen. Not too shabby for small town Class B.

better make that 5 mr. bballs....cause if i'm not mistaken...the guy from Divide County won it.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:41 pm

The Schwab wrote:
BB11 wrote:Thanks, I wasnt sure about Haagenson and Hanson - I knew they were close to the end of the 80's and beginning of the 90's. Beck and Rotvold would be good additions. By the way for all viewers - this topic would be for CLASS B PLAYERS ONLY.

better make that 5 mr. bballs....cause if i'm not mistaken...the guy from Divide County won it.

Yes he did - in 89-90 season. Thanks for the refresher I forgot about that. Pretty good crew of players I think.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby jtdc492 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:20 pm

old lineman wrote:Uecker handle MP in the state championship game in 1983. He is worthy. How about Dave Agnes, Lyndon Hoshtetler, Kyle Meyer of Hillsburro, Jerry McLean of Hatton

Dave Agnes graduated '78, Lyndon Hochstetler graduated '79 or '80.

His little brother Mark Hochstetler ('84), would get my vote for all 80's team.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby old lineman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:21 pm

Dave Agnes is a young man locked in a old body. Sorry Dave, you are still the man.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ticket0115 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:22 am

Lonnie Jacobs of TLM 1986. big player with RANGE. great passer
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:30 am

BB11 wrote:We've done the 90's and 00's - How about the 80's for some of us older timers.
My team -
OTHERS:
Brian Buhr - Page
Jason Haagenson - Leeds
Sheldon Braaten - Rhame
dude Lavin - Hatton
Pete Erickson - Kenmare

How about Jon Richter from Linton? Graduated in 1985 and led Linton to back-to-back state championships in '84-'85. Lost Mr. Basketball to Pintar and Lamoureax even though at the Lion's All-Star game he played both of them and beat them. Had a terrible ankle sprain the semi-finals of the '85 tournament and still played championship night.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:51 pm

baller01 wrote:
My team -
OTHERS:
Brian Buhr - Page
Jason Haagenson - Leeds
Sheldon Braaten - Rhame
dude Lavin - Hatton
Pete Erickson - Kenmare

How about Jon Richter from Linton? Graduated in 1985 and led Linton to back-to-back state championships in '84-'85. Lost Mr. Basketball to Pintar and Lamoureax even though at the Lion's All-Star game he played both of them and beat them. Had a terrible ankle sprain the semi-finals of the '85 tournament and still played championship night.

I think Dennis Beck was a bigger reason Linton won in 84. Jon Ricter in my opion was good but as good as Pintar and Lamoureax. The person from Linton at that timeframe that doesn't get much recognition is Bob Petrik.
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB11 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:00 am

Agreed - Petrik was tough. Richter couldn't have beaten Lamoureux at the Lion's game as they would have been on the same team.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:09 pm

BB11 wrote:Agreed - Petrik was tough. Richter couldn't have beaten Lamoureux at the Lion's game as they would have been on the same team.

1 on 1. Yes I know, hard to judge how good someone is based on a 1 on 1 game. I'm just saying. Obviously he deserves to be up there too.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby JW_14 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:27 am

Doug Waters anybody???
JW_14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 70-5 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Have to include Doug Waters on the team. Could handle the ball, defend, and was an offensive force. He was practically unstoppable in the lane. Wouldn't neccessarily jump over people (could though), but unbelievable body control. Fake and fade. duck under, power slide. Fun to watch.
70-5

Postby point/center » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:58 am

My team -
OTHERS:
Brian Buhr - Page
Jason Haagenson - Leeds
Sheldon Braaten - Rhame
dude Lavin - Hatton
Pete Erickson - Kenmare

The Uecker I think was Ted??? Him and Bill Butterfield were as tough as a two-some as you'd find in the early 80s
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby coast-to-coast » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:06 pm

what about the Pyle brothers from central cass or were they earlier
leave nothing
coast-to-coast
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:14 am

weren't the pyles from like the 50's? correct me if I'm wrong.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:24 am

I was thinking the late 60's
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:06 pm

60's is correct. Jerry Pyle was about 6'7" and played on the state championship team of '68 and went on to play for the Gophers. Bob Pyle was a little younger I believe and not nearly as tall, but still a very good player.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:55 pm

I would throw Dan Saville of Souris in the discussion also. He didn't get alot of recognition because he played in the same District as Newberg (Lamereaux) and Westhope (had a couple of good players Cooper and Artz) They were all in the same class. Saville led the District in scoring his Jr & Sr year but he was basically a 1 man team. He ended up playing 2 years at Williston State and finished with 2 years at Jamestown College. He had great shooting range, rebounded well for a 6 footer and could play good D. He was also a terrific competitor. His Sr. yr, Westhope wanted to co-op with Souris just to get him because they were only losing to Newberg by single digits every game the year before and they thought he could put them over the top.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby coast-to-coast » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Hinsa wrote:60's is correct. Jerry Pyle was about 6'7" and played on the state championship team of '68 and went on to play for the Gophers. Bob Pyle was a little younger I believe and not nearly as tall, but still a very good player.

ya sorry about that i thought it must of been back then ha ha
thank you for the correction
leave nothing
coast-to-coast
NDPreps Reserve

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics