Best Class Be player ever

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby gonzaga » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:13 am

My vote goes to Hunter Berg from Grenora, this guy was one of the greatest player I have ever seen in Class B, people would pack the big games just to watch him and Gunlickson go to town on ther players. Who say you?
I love to watch other people run!!!!
gonzaga
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:17 am

gonzaga wrote:My vote goes to Hunter Berg from Grenora, this guy was one of the greatest player I have ever seen in Class B, people would pack the big games just to watch him and Gunlickson go to town on ther players. Who say you?

Why isn't this topic in Class B?
project-pat

Postby O_Snap » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Move to Class BE
O_Snap

Postby project-pat » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:54 pm

gonzaga wrote:My vote goes to Hunter Berg from Grenora, this guy was one of the greatest player I have ever seen in Class B, people would pack the big games just to watch him and Gunlickson go to town on ther players. Who say you?

this cat's got some sweet grammar.
project-pat

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:45 pm

#1- Steve Blem (School for the deaf, North Dakota's all time leading scorer even without the three point line)

#2- Scott Guldseth (Edinburgh, UND's all time leading scorer)

#3- Hunter Berg (Grenora)

#4- Travis Kraft (MPCG)

Tough to top those 4.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby OilCanBoy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:51 pm

InTheKnow wrote:#1- Steve Blem (School for the deaf, North Dakota's all time leading scorer even without the three point line)

#4- Travis Kraft (MPCG)

Tough to top those 4.

Doug Walters was also a great player from Buchanan.
OilCanBoy

Postby Anchorman » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:45 pm

i woudl have to say that steve holen was a pretty darn good class b  bball playa
Anchorman
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:30 am

OilCanBoy wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:#1- Steve Blem (School for the deaf, North Dakota's all time leading scorer even without the three point line)

#4- Travis Kraft (MPCG)

Tough to top those 4.

Sorry, I just can't put Kraft up there that high.  Yeah, he had a great career but not one of the tops ever.  Marty MacDonald, Jason Haagenson, Todd Olson, Kyle Carr and a few others deserve to be the top 5 for me along with Gulseth and Berg.  I never saw Blehm play, but I've heard a lot of negative things about his scoring record, too.  Coach would keep him in when they were up by 40, just so he could get 50 pts a night.  Don't know how much truth is to it, but I have heard a lot of other things as well from people who saw him play back in the day.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:50 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
OilCanBoy wrote:

#4- Travis Kraft (MPCG)

Tough to top those 4.

Sorry, I just can't put Kraft up there that high.  Yeah, he had a great career but not one of the tops ever.  Marty MacDonald, Jason Haagenson, Todd Olson, Kyle Carr and a few others deserve to be the top 5 for me along with Gulseth and Berg.  I never saw Blehm play, but I've heard a lot of negative things about his scoring record, too.  Coach would keep him in when they were up by 40, just so he could get 50 pts a night.  Don't know how much truth is to it, but I have heard a lot of other things as well from people who saw him play back in the day.

He played for the School for the Deaf, so how deep could have the bench have been?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tigger » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:05 am

Blehm is 12th highest scorer in the nation all-time.  Hard to ignore.  Kraft belongs on the list too.

For Blehm national records and 6-player girls records:

http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmanager ... etball.pdf
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mauer07 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:05 am

Chad Glasser from DT should be considered for maybe top 10 all time
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:24 am

six-footer guard from 1969 to 1973, Steve Blehm is still the most prolific high school basketball player in the State of North Dakota. At the North Dakota School for the Deaf, Steve scored 3,930 points in his five-year high school basketball career, which is still the state all-time scoring record. The 3-point play was not instituted in North Dakota until 1983; some 20 years after Steve’s graduation

Nice math...... 1983-1973=20 years??
i also have to wonder how its possible to old 12 state records but yet on 7 school records
Last edited by baseball on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Dude » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:07 am

Chad Glasser in the top 10?  That could be the most insane thing I've heard all week.  I can think of at least 5 players from one district that would belong higher up than him.  As sad as it is to say this, I would even put Brandon Badding from Langdon and Evan Lindahl from cando up there before him.  Maybe even Derek Flanagan from Bisbee-Egeland.
The Dude
NDPreps Rookie

Postby rep » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:09 am

The Dude wrote:Chad Glasser in the top 10?  That could be the most insane thing I've heard all week.  I can think of at least 5 players from one district that would belong higher up than him.  As sad as it is to say this, I would even put Brandon Badding from Langdon and Evan Lindahl from cando up there before him.  Maybe even Derek Flanagan from Bisbee-Egeland.

i dunno...for a three-game period glasser absolutely dominated the class b tournament. those were the only games i saw of his, but in those three, he was absolutely a difference-maker for that state title.
rep

Postby point/center » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:12 am

I'll inch out on a limb and throw Brian Buhr's name out there. Page late 1980s. Played and NDSU and Minot State.

ANYONE that saw him play will nod their head and agree he's gotta be in the top 5.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby digger » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:53 am

I'm going to break it into two groupings:

Modern Era: (1970's-today):

Scott Guldseth: Best wing player I've seen out of North Dakota.  Run, jump, shoot, post-up, pass, handle the ball, defend, a bit of a mean streak, made his teamates better.  He attacked the basket and shot from deep equally well.  He didn't leave LSU because he couldn't play there, it just wasn't a good fit.  At the time he played high school in ND he was a one of a kind; beyond modern day athleticism and flair with old school fundamentals.

Hunter Berg: Legendary guard.  Lightning quick, unlimited range, unbelievable court sense, handle like no other. Could not be stopped man to man. In the middle of perhaps the most intense recruiting battle ever between the UND and NDSU basketball programs.  Had offers from numerous D-I schools after his Juco days but he and his wife wanted to stay here. 

Early Era: (pre 1970's): Didn't see  these guys play but I've talked to those that have:

Jerry Pyle: 6'7-6'8 post for Casselton late 60's.  Scored over 100 points and had 60 boards in the state tourney in '68 or '69.  Later played at the U of M.

Henry Milkey: Guard for Minot Model back in the day.  Old timers say he was like North Dakota's version of Bob Cousy; handle, pass, score.  Style and ability before his time.

I'm sure there are many others, these were the first guys to come to mind.

digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:27 pm

WOW!:shock::shock:, thanks for the info on Steve Blehm! His stats are mind blowing, I wish I could have watched him play!

Best player no question about it with those kind of stats!

Check it out, looks like someting that movies are made of!

[align=left]A six-footer guard from 1969 to 1973, Steve Blehm is still the most prolific high school basketball player in the State of North Dakota. At the North Dakota School for the Deaf, Steve scored 3,930 points in his five-year high school basketball career, which is still the state all-time scoring record. The 3-point play was not instituted in North Dakota until 1983; some 20 years after Steve’s graduation, and Steve would have scored many more points because most of his points came from the range of 20 to 23 feet. To illustrate Steve’s all-time state scoring record clearly, the distance between his record and the second place is 1,216 points – the equivalent of a player averaging 22 points a game for two years. Steve was also an outstanding rebounder and free throw shooter.[/align]
[align=left]

[align=left]Steve holds seven school, 12 state and three national records. The state and national records are outlined below:[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]

[/align]
[align=left]

State:
All-Time Scoring – 4 years
[/align]
[align=left]

All-Time Scoring – 1 year
1,134[/align]
[align=left]

Most points – 1 game
85[/align]
[align=left]

Most Field Goals – 1 year
448[/align]
[align=left]

Most Field Goals – 4 years
1,516[/align]
[align=left]

Most Free Throws – 1 game
17[/align]
[align=left]

Most Free Throws – 1 year
239[/align]
[align=left]

Most Free Throws – 4 years
827[/align]
[align=left]

Most Rebounds – 4 years
1,352[/align]
[align=left]

Best Average – 1 year
47.3 ppg[/align]
[align=left]

Best Average – 4 years
41.1 ppg[/align]
[align=left]

National:
Most Points Averaged Per Game (career)
41.1 ppg[/align]
[align=left]

Most Points Averaged Per Game (sophomore)
47.3 ppg[/align]
[align=left]

Most Points Averaged Per Game (freshman)
35.8 ppg[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[/align]

[align=left]

[align=left]Steve also holds scoring records in a district playoff tournament with 72 points in the quarterfinals game, 61 in the semifinal game and 50 in the championship game for a total of 183 points in the same tournament, another tournament record. Steve’s four-year shooting accuracy was 47.6 percent from the field and 71.8 percent from the free throw line. He averaged 14.4 rebounds, finishing with 1,352 rebounds, a state record.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Steve was named to the All State First Team in 1973, the All State Second Team in 1972, All State Honorable Mention in 1971 and 1970, Deaf Prep All American First Team in 1973 and 1972, Deaf Prep All American Second Team in 1971, All District Tournament Team in 1973, 1972 and 1971, and All Ramsey County First Team in 1973, 1972 and 1971. Steve was named the Deaf Cager of the Year in 1973 and 1972, the American Athletic Association of the Deaf Athletic of the Year in 1972, and the Gallaudet University Athlete of the Year in 1978.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]At Gallaudet University, Steve became the seventh all-time scoring leader at Gallaudet University where he was named the most valuable player twice. Steve was the star player on the United States men basketball team that won the gold medal at the World Games for the Deaf in 1977.[/align]
[/align]
[align=left]Steve is the only deaf athlete to make the Sports Illustrated 50 greatest sports figures by being named the 22nd greatest athlete in the State of North Dakota. Steve is arguably the greatest legend of North Dakota high school basketball and deserves the nod from the USADSF Hall of Fame committee for induction in the prestigious USADSF Hall of Fame.[/align]
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Jeez, thats amazing.
project-pat

Postby ballin6 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:18 pm

How can you average 47.3 ppg and only get all-state honorable mention?  That's just not right.
ballin6
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:07 pm

[user=2318]Mauer07[/user] wrote:
Chad Glasser from DT should be considered for maybe top 10 all time

Chad was a great player, but he wasn't even considered the best player in class B his senior year.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gator-nation » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:50 pm

i just drooled all over my keyboard.....haha jk.....but those are some amazing numbers, 1000+ pts in one year.....that takes a lot of shots.
gator-nation

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:13 pm

I would put Jeff Boschee on the top of the list.  Boschee is the Big Ten leader in three point field goals made and is the best player in the history of North Dakota because the level of competition was much higher for him then say Steve Blehm.  Not taking anything away from nearing 4,000 career points but I guarantee he wouldnt've been half as effective playing at the time Boschee did for Valley City.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:14 pm

Boschee is also the only McDonald's High School All-American from North Dakota that got to play in the game.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:42 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Boschee is also the only McDonald's High School All-American from North Dakota that got to play in the game.

I dont' disagree but he was class A this is discussing the best B player ever
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:52 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I would put Jeff Boschee on the top of the list.  Boschee is the Big Ten leader in three point field goals made and is the best player in the history of North Dakota because the level of competition was much higher for him then say Steve Blehm.  Not taking anything away from nearing 4,000 career points but I guarantee he wouldnt've been half as effective playing at the time Boschee did for Valley City.

I find that hard to believe because he played for Kansas which is in the Big Twelve.  JK
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics