Best Class Be player ever

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:58 am

WildWarrior wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:i would say robert lawrence was one of the best players in class b history.  he was amazing.

Agreed, talk about tremendous offense.  Was going to bring him up in the topic of TI getting robbed.  No Sr. athlete of the year for him either and no big college offers and I have to think with his body and offense he was much more college ready.  Both were great players from the local area and I have said I would love to have both on my team!!!!

do u have his career numbers becuz i remember out of the mr bball candidates he averaged by far the most points and rebounds on the season and that year when warwick played wells he had 29 and everyone was happy to shut him down hahaha
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:28 am

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I don't drool over Lindahl...you just can't argue with his stats.  Give me some stats to backup with Kraft is top 5 to EVER play class B ball in ND.  And don't give me this junk about him playing at SC....If you're 6'7" and can play a guard you get looks at DI schools.  Now if he had a great DI career, then maybe.
Alright...i will try my best....but remember...be patient........Travis Kraft in two of his years of high school played on teams that have been argued as the greatest teams of all time.......thus he didnt get as much playing time as evan lindahl did.......when did lindahl start playing varsity.....7th, 8th grade....i bet he was a four year starter at least....so then arguing stats doesnt really make much sense now does it? also competition makes a pretty big deal when you talk about stats too.....and we all know that region 2 has been one of/if not the strongest region for a LONG, LONG time.

Shouldn't one of the greatest all time players been a starter on the greatest team of all time??  If not, I think the 5 starters deserved to be ranked higher
as a freshman he came off the bench and hit a huge shot in the state title game.....I honestly hope that your kidding when your saying that kraft wasnt top 5 in north dakota history......Travis Kraft is definatly top 5 material....if you think that Lindahl deserves to be up there that might be...but below travis kraft.....

Nope, not kidding.  Schwab...you were probably in elem or JH when Kraft was in high school so he looked like Michael Jordan to you.  The only ones in my top ten that you've seen play are Carr and Lindahl.  There are a lot more players in ND that were great players that people haven't heard of or seen play because they didn't get the media coverage today's athletes get.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby jetblue12 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:39 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I don't drool over Lindahl...you just can't argue with his stats.  Give me some stats to backup with Kraft is top 5 to EVER play class B ball in ND.  And don't give me this junk about him playing at SC....If you're 6'7" and can play a guard you get looks at DI schools.  Now if he had a great DI career, then maybe.
Alright...i will try my best....but remember...be patient........Travis Kraft in two of his years of high school played on teams that have been argued as the greatest teams of all time.......thus he didnt get as much playing time as evan lindahl did.......when did lindahl start playing varsity.....7th, 8th grade....i bet he was a four year starter at least....so then arguing stats doesnt really make much sense now does it? also competition makes a pretty big deal when you talk about stats too.....and we all know that region 2 has been one of/if not the strongest region for a LONG, LONG time.

Shouldn't one of the greatest all time players been a starter on the greatest team of all time??  If not, I think the 5 starters deserved to be ranked higher
as a freshman he came off the bench and hit a huge shot in the state title game.....I honestly hope that your kidding when your saying that kraft wasnt top 5 in north dakota history......Travis Kraft is definatly top 5 material....if you think that Lindahl deserves to be up there that might be...but below travis kraft.....

Nope, not kidding.  Schwab...you were probably in elem or JH when Kraft was in high school so he looked like Michael Jordan to you.  The only ones in my top ten that you've seen play are Carr and Lindahl.  There are a lot more players in ND that were great players that people haven't heard of or seen play because they didn't get the media coverage today's athletes get.

ok well i am old enough to get schooled on by kraft and see carr, lindahl play.  no comparsion.
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 am

Did you play against Carr and Lindahl??  Its a bit different playing against someone than just watching them play. 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WildWarrior » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:46 am

sodadrinker wrote:
WildWarrior wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:i would say robert lawrence was one of the best players in class b history.  he was amazing.

Agreed, talk about tremendous offense.  Was going to bring him up in the topic of TI getting robbed.  No Sr. athlete of the year for him either and no big college offers and I have to think with his body and offense he was much more college ready.  Both were great players from the local area and I have said I would love to have both on my team!!!!

do u have his career numbers becuz i remember out of the mr bball candidates he averaged by far the most points and rebounds on the season and that year when warwick played wells he had 29 and everyone was happy to shut him down hahaha

No I don't have numbers but I think he was right around 1500 points.  He had an incredible knack for knowing where the ball was gonna come off the rim and I remember thinking many times from the bench, how the heck did he get that ball. I think Rich Glas was crazy for not coming after him.  He called the school one day and I visited with him and his comment was "we will keep an eye on him".  He did eventually go there but I think was overwhelmed and didn't care for it so he went to Mayville.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jetblue12 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:46 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Did you play against Carr and Lindahl??  Its a bit different playing against someone than just watching them play. 

no i didnt, i respect that point,    but i watched kraft too in other games, and i feel i have a decent bball mind to judge tho..
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby jimmie44 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:57 am

Of course Evan Lindahl had ridiculous numbers....He had at least 5" on the next closest player in that Region.  He may have played varsity in 7th or 8th grade, but I'm sure he was freakishly tall even then!  Imagine him playing against the kids his own age in Jr. High?  You'd be foolish not to move him up.  He was so dominant because he was head and shoulders above (literally) the competition.  Must be something in the water.  :drink:
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:59 am

I have been a bball nut for years and have always followed class B bball.  Kraft was an extremely talented player that played on some excellent teams in his career.  However, to put him as one of the top 5 in the history of ND is just too much for me.  I've seen Guldseth and Berg play and they were just flat out amazing.  They are right up there with Boschee.  You can't argue against Blehm with all his records.  Todd Olson had an amzing career as well.  Watching Lindahl play, I probably wouldn't put him up there with those 4, but looking at his stats he's only one of 2 players ever to have 2000pts and 1000 boards.  That's pretty dang impressive.  I have also seen Haagenson, Fridley, and McDonald play and they are close to these top five, but just not quite there.  What a class for 1992, huh?  Three 2000 pt scorers in one graduating class?!?  Never seen Pyle play, but he must have been a stud.  Carr had 1000 pts his sophomore year - amazing.  Ben Jacobson was an outstanding player and Mr. Bball.....and then comes Kraft in my mind.  Nothing against him, that's just where I think he stands in the history of class B bball. 
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:01 am

jimmie44 wrote:Of course Evan Lindahl had ridiculous numbers....He had at least 5" on the next closest player in that Region.  He may have played varsity in 7th or 8th grade, but I'm sure he was freakishly tall even then!  Imagine him playing against the kids his own age in Jr. High?  You'd be foolish not to move him up.  He was so dominant because he was head and shoulders above (literally) the competition.  Must be something in the water.  :drink:

Never played varsity until his freshmen year and I don't think he even started that year....could be wrong tho.  Reffed a game when he was a 6'3" 8th grader and saw him put 2 down.....never seen a JH kid do that before but I'm sure there are others.

Also, Lindahl was 6'9" and Kraft was 6'7".....if we're talking about height as an advantage Kraft could have put up the same numbers as Lindahl......2 inches isn't that much.
Last edited by ndlionsfan on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby fastbreak43 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:08 am

1. Steve Blehm

2. Scott Guldseth

3. Brian Buhr

4. Todd Olsen

5. Hunter Berg

I never had the fortune of watching Steve Blehm play, only stories.  I played against or with Guldseth, Buhr, Olsen, Berg. 

The toughest matchup by far is Guldseth.  To big, to strong, to athletic, dominant.  Buhr could score from anywhere at anytime, 6 foot and had no problems dunking a basketball, unlimited range.  Todd Olsen, could score, period.  Hunter Berg was to unselfish, he could have scored at will, best anticipater ever, had his hands on everyball, true team player that could dominate.

Travis Kraft, might be in the top 25. Maybe.  If your bored go try and guard the wolf kid from wing-tuttle.  Pack a lunch.
fastbreak43

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:08 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I have been a bball nut for years and have always followed class B bball.  Kraft was an extremely talented player that played on some excellent teams in his career.  However, to put him as one of the top 5 in the history of ND is just too much for me.  I've seen Guldseth and Berg play and they were just flat out amazing.  They are right up there with Boschee.  You can't argue against Blehm with all his records.  Todd Olson had an amzing career as well.  Watching Lindahl play, I probably wouldn't put him up there with those 4, but looking at his stats he's only one of 2 players ever to have 2000pts and 1000 boards.  That's pretty dang impressive.  I have also seen Haagenson, Fridley, and McDonald play and they are close to these top five, but just not quite there.  What a class for 1992, huh?  Three 2000 pt scorers in one graduating class?!?  Never seen Pyle play, but he must have been a stud.  Carr had 1000 pts his sophomore year - amazing.  Ben Jacobson was an outstanding player and Mr. Bball.....and then comes Kraft in my mind.  Nothing against him, that's just where I think he stands in the history of class B bball.
hey come on now.....just cause i didnt see them play doesnt mean that i cant read stats and watch tape of them and listen to people who have played against them......I also have seen hunter berg play he was amazing and i did see Lindahl play.....i'm sorry but i didnt see anything that would make him a top 5 player.......I did see Kraft play and yes i would put him up in the top 5....Jerry Pyle played in a time where he was a GIANT.......Ben Jacobson i dont know if he was even the best guard to come out of mayville.......
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby jimmie44 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:11 am

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I have been a bball nut for years and have always followed class B bball.  Kraft was an extremely talented player that played on some excellent teams in his career.  However, to put him as one of the top 5 in the history of ND is just too much for me.  I've seen Guldseth and Berg play and they were just flat out amazing.  They are right up there with Boschee.  You can't argue against Blehm with all his records.  Todd Olson had an amzing career as well.  Watching Lindahl play, I probably wouldn't put him up there with those 4, but looking at his stats he's only one of 2 players ever to have 2000pts and 1000 boards.  That's pretty dang impressive.  I have also seen Haagenson, Fridley, and McDonald play and they are close to these top five, but just not quite there.  What a class for 1992, huh?  Three 2000 pt scorers in one graduating class?!?  Never seen Pyle play, but he must have been a stud.  Carr had 1000 pts his sophomore year - amazing.  Ben Jacobson was an outstanding player and Mr. Bball.....and then comes Kraft in my mind.  Nothing against him, that's just where I think he stands in the history of class B bball.
hey come on now.....just cause i didnt see them play doesnt mean that i cant read stats and watch tape of them and listen to people who have played against them......I also have seen hunter berg play he was amazing and i did see Lindahl play.....i'm sorry but i didnt see anything that would make him a top 5 player.......I did see Kraft play and yes i would put him up in the top 5....Jerry Pyle played in a time where he was a GIANT.......Ben Jacobson i dont know if he was even the best guard to come out of mayville.......

I concur :up:
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:23 am

The Schwab wrote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  Since no one has seen all of these guys play its' almost impossible to compare a lot of them.  So you look at stats.....Kraft stats would maybe put him in the top 20 all time in ND, that's it.  However, because I've seen him play I know he had more talent than his stats show so I put him at 12.

Also, read more about what I said about Lindahl.  Watching him play, I wouldn't put him in the top 5.....but looking at his stats, definately top 5 material.
Last edited by ndlionsfan on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:25 am

fastbreak43 wrote:1. Steve Blehm

2. Scott Guldseth

3. Brian Buhr

4. Todd Olsen

5. Hunter Berg

I never had the fortune of watching Steve Blehm play, only stories.  I played against or with Guldseth, Buhr, Olsen, Berg. 

The toughest matchup by far is Guldseth.  To big, to strong, to athletic, dominant.  Buhr could score from anywhere at anytime, 6 foot and had no problems dunking a basketball, unlimited range.  Todd Olsen, could score, period.  Hunter Berg was to unselfish, he could have scored at will, best anticipater ever, had his hands on everyball, true team player that could dominate.

Travis Kraft, might be in the top 25. Maybe.  If your bored go try and guard the wolf kid from wing-tuttle.  Pack a lunch.

Who did Buhr play for?  I'd like to know more about him, sounds like a heck of a player.  I've heard that Wolf kid is good, too.  I hope you're not talking top 5 material, but sounds like he's a heck of a player as well.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:26 am

2. Scott Guldseth

3. Brian Buhr

4. Todd Olsen

5. Hunter Berg

you must have played competitive bball for a while
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby fastbreak43 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:08 am

ndlionsfan wrote:

2. Scott Guldseth

3. Brian Buhr

4. Todd Olsen

5. Hunter Berg

Who did Buhr play for?  I'd like to know more about him, sounds like a heck of a player.  I've heard that Wolf kid is good, too.  I hope you're not talking top 5 material, but sounds like he's a heck of a player as well.
Brian Buhr played for Page  from 1983-1987 roughly.  He was not an area favorite.  Very competitive player to say the least.  High School teams today would have a hard time stopping him.  Most say he shot too much but hard to argue when you are shooting over 50%.  I think most just figured the only way to try and stop him was to ridicule him.  Off the court he was nothing but a gentleman.  No, the Wolf kid is not a top five player, just demonstrating how you will never be able to pick a top five.  It would be tough to pick a top 50 for that matter.
fastbreak43

Postby lotta bb » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:27 am

Jerry Pyle without a doubt is one of the best BB players to ever grace the hardwood of this prarie state. Along with that one of his comrades on the court, Jerry Ford, is one of the best gds. in the ballhandling catagory . He also had a stellar career at Valley City State where he played with the legendary Cavin Anderson and the former coach at MPCG-Del Kessler. A lot of great players have been mentioned and those that have seen Guldseth know how well he could play. Blehm was a heck of a shooter and I think way back in the day there was a fella named Baumgartner, I think from Oriska, (not sure) that could light them up also.
Last edited by lotta bb on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
lotta bb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Ticket » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:52 am

Paul Shlafmann from Turtle Lake in the early 90s was amazing. To bad he got hurt his senior year in football. He had alot of D1 colleges looking at him.
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:08 pm

What about Craig Nelson? Sure, he didn't put up the 25+ nights a game and stuff, but the guy could flat out shoot and my dad has seen a lot of basketball in his day, and to this day, he still says he is the best point guard he's ever seen play. He didn't ever make a mistake, could shoot the lights out, and knew how to win. Maybe Nelson isn't top 5, but I would say for sure top 10.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BaldEagle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:33 pm

baller01 wrote:What about Craig Nelson? Sure, he didn't put up the 25+ nights a game and stuff, but the guy could flat out shoot and my dad has seen a lot of basketball in his day, and to this day, he still says he is the best point guard he's ever seen play. He didn't ever make a mistake, could shoot the lights out, and knew how to win. Maybe Nelson isn't top 5, but I would say for sure top 10.

I saw Nelson play, good shooter, great playmaker.

I put Randy Helling on my list because he was a great shooter, and all around talent.  He took an undefeated Lakota team into the 1976 tourament that included LaMoure, one of the top 3 all-time teams.  Baseballer Ricky's Brother.  I believe he died in a automobile accident a few years later.  Someone out there might have more details.
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:20 pm

Todd Olson gotta be top five on the list another thing you can put on his resume is that he is one of the few class B players that have won Mr. Basketball.

Craig Nelson fundamentally was probably one of the best bb players this state has seen. He's the kind of player coaches would love to have.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gmac90 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:54 pm

What about Robert Eaglestaff from Ft. Yates?  I don't know any statistics off hand, but from what I've heard he was an incredible player, possibly even played in the NBA? Any truth to this, or am I way off base?
Go Big or Go Home
gmac90
NDPreps Starter

Postby BaldEagle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:07 pm

gmac90 wrote:What about Robert Eaglestaff from Ft. Yates?  I don't know any statistics off hand, but from what I've heard he was an incredible player, possibly even played in the NBA? Any truth to this, or am I way off base?

Ft Yates was Class A when Eaglestaff played.  Great player. He went to BYU and then to UND.  I don't think he played in the NBA.

Robert Eaglestaff scored 69 points for Fort Yates against Hettinger on Dec. 12, 1970, for the Class A single-game record. Fort Yates was a Class A school at the time. In that game, Eaglestaff made 29 of 46 shots from the field and sank 11 of 15 free throws, according to newspaper reports. The 6-foot-7 Eaglestaff also grabbed 22 rebounds in that game. - Fargo Forum
Last edited by BaldEagle on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic715 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:11 pm

best 5 players i personally ever saw were:1) Hunter Berg 2) Scott Guldseth 3) Dustin Undlin 4) Brian Buhr 5) Fred Fridley Jr

not necessarily the best, just the best i personally saw
magic715

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:17 pm

BaldEagle wrote:
gmac90 wrote:What about Robert Eaglestaff from Ft. Yates?  I don't know any statistics off hand, but from what I've heard he was an incredible player, possibly even played in the NBA? Any truth to this, or am I way off base?

Ft Yates was Class A when Eaglestaff played.  Great player. He went to BYU and then to UND.  I don't think he played in the NBA.

Robert Eaglestaff scored 69 points for Fort Yates against Hettinger on Dec. 12, 1970, for the Class A single-game record. Fort Yates was a Class A school at the time. In that game, Eaglestaff made 29 of 46 shots from the field and sank 11 of 15 free throws, according to newspaper reports. The 6-foot-7 Eaglestaff also grabbed 22 rebounds in that game. - Fargo Forum

Wow.... There are a lot of games that a TEAM doesn't even get up 46 shots.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics