Best HS B-Ball Game Ever Witnessed?

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re: Best HS B-Ball Game Ever Witnessed?

Postby BigNorsk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:05 am

I would have to say the 1973 Class A Championship game between Ft Yates and Minot. I think it was 3 overtimes before Ft Yates came out on top. The end of regulation saw an amazing comeback by Ft Yates to tie it. Archambault (sp?) tied the game with a real long shot. Today he would have won the game but it was only worth 2 then.

I can kind of remember when Rugby played Williston to go to state sometime in the late 60's early 70's, it went either 5 or 6 overtimes. That was quite the game too but I don't remember it like the Ft Yates game. I do remember one Rugby player standing all by himself at the line at the end of one overtime and he took the shot and didn't touch anything, it was a couple of feet short. If I remember right it tied the record at that time for the most overtimes and Rugby won the game.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby LuckyIam » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:11 pm

definetly justin behlolaveks 51 point game against williston a few years ago. he was a great player.
LuckyIam
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rowsdower! » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:19 am

NE B-Baller 242 wrote:NRS state championship game against Bottineau. NRS came back late in the fourth quarter. Bottineau's Kirby Johnson took an open three with his team up with less then an minute to go and missed. NRS star Even Bennifield fouled out. and Micheal Cudworths bank shot to win it in double overtime

I was in the MSU Dome for that one. Bottineau couldn't miss in the first half (Johnson was on fire at that point) and was up by 14 at halftime. With about 4-5 minutes to go, NR-S kept pecking away slowly at the lead, and tied it with a Bennefeld layin with less than a second to go in regulation. The atmosphere in the arena when that basket went in to force overtime was like nothing I'd ever seen at that point, and when Cudworth hit the bank shot to win the game, 67-65, the sheer exhilaration I felt at that exact moment in time (just as a photographer covering the event for the local rag) was almost like an out-of-body experience.

(Pardon the over-the-top hyperbole with the last sentence, but that was my story. It was easily the best game I've ever witnessed, and it was a shame someone had to lose.)
Rowsdower! - The artist formerly known around these parts as rocketsphotoguy
I sensed that with my hair. My hair is an elaborate network of nerves, constantly processing information.
Rowsdower!
NDPreps Rookie

Postby chirpchirp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:44 pm

new rockford vs bottinue in the state championship game buzzer beater in double overtime
chirpchirp
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbfever » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:41 pm

2009 Region 1 championship. North Sargent vs. Central Cass.
Unbelievable game.
bbfever
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 pm

bbfever wrote:2009 Region 1 championship. North Sargent vs. Central Cass.
Unbelievable game.

Agreed.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby old lineman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:25 pm

HILLSBURO VS EPPING

The night that everyone in the state execpt for 1900 people in hillsburo cheered for hickory (epping)
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfbfan70 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 pm

92-93 region 1 semi's sargent central vs lisbon. Lisbon was ranked in the top 3 all yr. and might have been undefeated if i am not mistaken. Lisbon up the whole game by never more than 6pts. SC gets in down to the post with 5 seconds left and score with about 1 second left on the clock to put them ahead for the 1st time in the game.

Best game i ever witnessed. sat 2 rows from the top at the NDSCS bball arena and there was not room to move the whole time.

I don't remember every detail of the game, i was pretty young, but i do remember knowing the way the SC boys played that game their is no way they would be denied a state tourney trip(they weren't)
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:49 pm

I don't know if this was the best game I ever saw, but it was certainly unique.

1974, Mayville-Portland vs Hillsboro at Hillsboro's old gym. Hillsboro, undefeated and ranked #2. May-Port, one loss and ranked in top 10. People standing in doorways, chairs set up on the sides of the baseline. The Hillsboro administration closed the front door in the first half of the B game because there was no more room.

May-Port brought posters and taped them up that said "Wipe the Burros" with a roll of toilet paper wiping a Burro's backside.

It was very hot in the gym and very cold outside which caused the wall to sweat. Only 3 feet between the wall and the baseline, so there was water on the court. Tom Olsen of Hillsboro drove the baseline in the second half and slid right into the wall not once, but TWICE.

May-Port wins a thriller by about 8. Huge front line for that time - Ron Halda, 6'8", Lowell Nelson, 6'5", Cal Lee, 6'4" and 6'2" Tim Pratt at guard which was unheard of in those days. They grew 'em big in May-Port long before the Klabos, Krafts, Swifts, and Nelsons of the 90's and 2000's.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller22 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Rowsdower! wrote:
NE B-Baller 242 wrote:NRS state championship game against Bottineau. NRS came back late in the fourth quarter. Bottineau's Kirby Johnson took an open three with his team up with less then an minute to go and missed. NRS star Even Bennifield fouled out. and Micheal Cudworths bank shot to win it in double overtime

I was in the MSU Dome for that one. Bottineau couldn't miss in the first half (Johnson was on fire at that point) and was up by 14 at halftime. With about 4-5 minutes to go, NR-S kept pecking away slowly at the lead, and tied it with a Bennefeld layin with less than a second to go in regulation. The atmosphere in the arena when that basket went in to force overtime was like nothing I'd ever seen at that point, and when Cudworth hit the bank shot to win the game, 67-65, the sheer exhilaration I felt at that exact moment in time (just as a photographer covering the event for the local rag) was almost like an out-of-body experience.

(Pardon the over-the-top hyperbole with the last sentence, but that was my story. It was easily the best game I've ever witnessed, and it was a shame someone had to lose.)

naw man you got it wrong kirby didn't take the shot jeremy cambell took it.. biggest disappointment ever, our school was devastated i'm a senior now i remember being at the game.. it was unbelievable for us..
Baller22
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Schmidty22 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 am

When Billy Michelson of Century hit like7 threes in one game against minot and John Fraase hit the game-winner as the buzzer sounded that is the best game I have ever seen.
"I go out there and get my eyes gouged, my nose busted, my body slammed. I love the pain of the game."
Schmidty22
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Park River vs. Edinburg 2000

Game was played in Edinburg in front of a absolutely packed house. Park River was ranked high in state and would go on to state but have a poor showing. Edinburg won maybe 5 games all year. Tyler Moe had just transfered to PR leaving a bad taste in everyone mouth. PR was supposed to stomp all over Edinburg and Moe was supposed to lead the charge. In Pre-game warm ups he was dunking and cocking off the the crowd and got T'ed up, the crowd goes crazy and Edinburg goes up 2-0 before the game even starts. The game is intense throughout back and forth, neither team builds much of a lead. Regulation end in a tie, 1st OT is a tie, 2nd OT a it, finally at the end of the 3rd OT Edinburgs hits a game winner sending the town into a frenzy. Sad thing is this was probably the last big win Edinburg can really brag about. But this game was THE best HS game I have ever seen. It was about more than winning and losing, it was about a small town losing its best player to a big town and that player ditching his buddies that he had played with since he started playing basketball and for one night in little Edinburg they got their revenge.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby polaris » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:19 pm

1985 state class B championship - Linton 72 and Newburg 70 in OT
polaris
NDPreps Rookie

Postby InsideMan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 am

2004 Class A state championship game. Saints over Demons. Most people I have ever seen in the Civic.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby old#63 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:04 pm

old lineman wrote:HILLSBURO VS EPPING

The night that everyone in the state execpt for 1900 people in hillsburo cheered for hickory (epping)

This one has my vote. If you like David and Goliath stories, this is the best one I know of. If by best, you are looking for the one with the most drama, this is the one.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby GoPack#2 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:21 am

gobison#6 wrote:
bbfever wrote:2009 Region 1 championship. North Sargent vs. Central Cass.
Unbelievable game.

Agreed.

That was a great game!
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I believe it was 92 Reginal Final, we ventured over to Langdon to watch Marty McDonald and squad against Danny Phillips and company...Wow!!! few mistakes and post play at its perfection.....one of the best battles ever....Munich went on to win State...they also won BaseBall that season If I'm not mistaken.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby IplayforHim » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:06 pm

polaris wrote:1985 state class B championship - Linton 72 and Newburg 70 in OT

agreed. also linton in the 2004 region 3 championship against Lamoure. down 17 at half, came back and won. It was insane !!
IplayforHim
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:05 pm

old#63 wrote:
old lineman wrote:HILLSBURO VS EPPING

This one has my vote. If you like David and Goliath stories, this is the best one I know of. If by best, you are looking for the one with the most drama, this is the one.

Same can be said for Triny vs. Parshall.

4-point play!!!!
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:37 am

The two greatest games I have seen in my life were the 2004 region 2 semi-final game between Hillsboro and Cavalier. Hillsboro was up by twenty some points and Cavalier stormed back to beat them. The other was the 2005 state title game.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Stallng » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:08 pm

The 2010 Class A championship game Bismarck High vs Mandan
In Class B the 2009 district 15 championship game when Mandaree upset Watford in New Town was also a very exciting game.
Stallng
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Stallng wrote:The 2010 Class A championship game Bismarck High vs Mandan
In Class B the 2009 district 15 championship game when Mandaree upset Watford in New Town was also a very exciting game.

that would have been fun
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 pm

One would be the Oak Grove vs. Dickinson Trinity at the Shiloh Invite last January; another would be the Oak Grove vs. Berthold game from the 1st round of State last March
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby T$$ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:19 am

I am glad someone finally mentioned the 2010 bismarck vs mandan game. The best game I remember was 1990 (I think) when west fargo beat bhs in ot. Wf was down 1 and a kid was fouled with no time left and made 1 out of two to go into ot. Anyone who saw boschee play his senior year would be hard pressed to find a more exciting environment regardless of who they were playing.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby Old Baller » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:00 am

1969 Fargo Oak Grove vs Ellendale at Ellendale. A late regular season game; ranked #1 and #2 and both undefeated as I recall. Oak Grove won by a basket as Charlie Sizer's shot from deep in the left corner bounced off the rim at the buzzer. Oak Grove won the state title that year. I remember it was a great game but can't recal any details other than the last shot. (It's been a while!!)

The next one was not necessarily the best game I witnessed but it was one of my most memorable:

1965 Wing vs Braddock at Braddock fairly late in the regular season. Wing was undefeated and ranked #3 I believe; this was not supposed to be much of a contest. However, Braddock played tough that night and the game was tied after three quarters. Wing's Ron Pearson, a starting guard, was dressed for the game but hadn't played due to a wrist or arm injury suffered the week before; he was wearing a support brace. He had been begging Coach Bill Michelson to let him play but Bill was reluctant to risk him to further injury. FInally he gave in and let Ron enter the game at the start of the 4th quarter. Well, Ron scored 8 points in the quarter and must have had 3 or 4 rebounds and Wing ended up winning by 8. Not a bad performance for a guy with essentially 1 1/2 arms!
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics