Best HS B-Ball Game Ever Witnessed?

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re:

Postby asiantangy99 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:New Rockford state title.

Im not saying this because I went to NRS but I agree I have never seen a team since this title play like them. Teams before that I havnt seen could have but from what ive seen they were on top.
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Re: Best HS B-Ball Game Ever Witnessed?

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:41 pm

hp fan wrote:Hettinger -4
Regent - 2

Not the most exciting game I have ever seen, but I bet I never see anything like it again.

What year was this
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:29 am

Maybe 92-93.
Hettinger had the Vliem brothers, Mack, I think a Morey and Regent had Sheldon, Monkey, Wiseman.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby robdooley » Sun May 04, 2008 11:44 pm

I am honored to hear that someone commented on the Sheldon-Chaffee 1993 team as being one of the greatest class B teams ever. I am the one that broke the backboard at the district tourny and still feel that on our best night, we could have beaten anyone. We had a team that was unlike any other. I remember nights when we had 5 to 6 guys that were in double figures. There may have been a shining night for one person, but we were unselfish and deticated to the team because of our coaching staff. Dave Schill and Kevin Bratland ( sorry if the spelling is wrong) were the best coaches that I have been around and I still use the teachings that I recieved from them to this day. Thank you to Dave and Kevin for giving us the memories that everyone on this team still holds and thank you to the fans that still remember the greatest days of our sporting careers. After 16 years I finally found the sports bloopers dvd of me breaking the backboard thanks to a teammate and best friend of mine Jason Schatzke.
A team with an abundance of talent doesn't make it a good team, but a team that plays as a team with a common goal makes it a legacy.
robdooley

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue May 06, 2008 10:12 am

How far did the Sheldon-Chaffee team of 1993 get?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby robdooley » Mon May 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:How far did the Sheldon-Chaffee team of 1993 get?
Don't get me wrong, I just thought it was cool for someone to remember our team the way that we did.  We took 3rd in Regionals.  We got beat by Oaks in the semifinals by two(they shot 75% from the field) the only other loss came in the regular season with a 7 point loss with starters riding the bench with injuries.  I'm not claiming to be one of the top class B teams by any means I just thought it was nice to even be mentioned.  23-2 season and losing 2 games by a total of 9 points, winning the Barnes County tournement, District tournement and being knocked out by 2 points in Regionals isn't bad for a small school team that played ironman ball  with 6 or 7 players every night.
robdooley

Postby Hunterlaf » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Parshall beating trinity last year with Neil an Nathaniel Packineau an Rudy Youngbird unstoppable

an edgely vs dunseith in 1990 when dunseith fell short of winnin state myuncle played on that team an my gramps coached that team to two state tournaments
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:16 am

robdooley wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:How far did the Sheldon-Chaffee team of 1993 get?
Don't get me wrong, I just thought it was cool for someone to remember our team the way that we did.  We took 3rd in Regionals.  We got beat by Oaks in the semifinals by two(they shot 75% from the field) the only other loss came in the regular season with a 7 point loss with starters riding the bench with injuries.  I'm not claiming to be one of the top class B teams by any means I just thought it was nice to even be mentioned.  23-2 season and losing 2 games by a total of 9 points, winning the Barnes County tournement, District tournement and being knocked out by 2 points in Regionals isn't bad for a small school team that played ironman ball  with 6 or 7 players every night.

I wasn't knocking your team, I just geniunely didn't know how far you guys got.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby toddjames » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:49 am

I have a couple: the first one I witnesses on T.V., but I can't remember for sure what year it was... But it was Bismarck High's Russell Archambault banking in a half-court shot to give the Demons a win that placed them in the Class A State Championship game... I want to stay it was around 1994, but I'm not for sure... The other game I witnessed in person and it was during the 1997 season... Belcourt at St. Mary's, the game went into three overtimes, with Belcourt having to hit last second shots at the end of regulation and at the end of the first and second overtimes, all were made by different players... and the game was won by Belcourt on a fade-away three pointer in the corner made by Mark Desjarlais with no time remaining, just an awesome game, I couldn't hardly talk after that one!
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Re:

Postby cornerback*22* » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:30 pm

tdog09 wrote:
Y-not Daily wrote:Last year's State B Championship game when Landon Smith hit the buzzer beater for Trinity

No offense, but I thought that was one of the worst championship games I'd ever seen. Great ending, no doubt, but I thought it was pretty boring for the first 30+ minutes. I mean, 34-32, give me a break. I imagine both teams played better games at times earlier in the season.

Are you kidding me one of the worst championship games?? that was the most exciting game that i have ever watched. it was a defensive game which, in my opinion is way more exciting than a nba 100-96 game. Who cares about offense, trinity's trademark defense won them the championship

not a chance, 34-32??? that is really boring. im going with belohavek's 51 point game and the fade away bank shot to win it at the buzzer, and williston was number one at the time i believe
cornerback*22*

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:26 pm

robdooley wrote: isn't bad for a small school team that played ironman ball  with 6 or 7 players every night.

welcome to class b basketball??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby smalltowner » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:42 am

Does anyone remember the 1988 region 7 championship, undefeated Ray at 22-0, number 3 in the state, and Divide County? Divide County made a shot from the hash mark with a guy in his face, at the buzzer to win the game, Divide went on to play Edmore in the state championship and ended up finishing 2nd.
smalltowner

Postby stunt double » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:12 am

how about the Leeds state championship game in 1998 or 1999 i believe...
stunt double

Postby mjwanab » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:46 pm

smalltowner wrote:Does anyone remember the 1988 region 7 championship, undefeated Ray at 22-0, number 3 in the state, and Divide County? Divide County made a shot from the hash mark with a guy in his face, at the buzzer to win the game, Divide went on to play Edmore in the state championship and ended up finishing 2nd.

Yes, I was there, lived there, Darwin Lindsey is the name of the guy that made the huge three coming off the curl right in front of us! That was an awesome game!!!
mjwanab
NDPreps Starter

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:52 am

NRS state championship game against Bottineau. NRS came back late in the fourth quarter. Bottineau's Kirby Johnson took an open three with his team up with less then an minute to go and missed. NRS star Even Bennifield fouled out. and Micheal Cudworths bank shot to win it in double overtime
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rodgers4ever » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:06 pm

i may be a little biased with this one cause i played in the game. but the williston-mandan game of 2007 at mandan. behovlacek went of for 51 including a three to put into over time. the place was goin nuts. i didnt realize how good of game it was until i sat down and watched the tape. even tho we didnt win it was still an amazing game
If their shooting at you, you're doing something right
Rodgers4ever
NDPreps Starter

Re:

Postby Rodgers4ever » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:08 pm

shs01240 wrote:i will have to continue the trend of being a homer and go with any game where Jacobson and Boschee went head to head. i was just a little guy and jacobson was my hero.
also this year shanley had 3 buzzer beating vicories over Wahp, North, and RR. sent the fans into a crazy frenzy. but mainly the old-school jacobson-boschee dual.

that would have been an awesome game to have seen
If their shooting at you, you're doing something right
Rodgers4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:45 pm

I have witnessed many good games but the one that sticks out as the best was St. John and Dunseith at the turtle mt. community college last year. St.john dominated the whole game and led by 12 with 2 minutes left, then dunseith turned it on and came back to beat st.john by like 8. It was an awesome display of defense and teamwork.
ndbsktbllfan

Postby tdog09 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:43 pm

I would still have rather seen the 4-2 game than behlovak dropping 50. I'm not taking anything away from him by saying this, but the 06 championship game was an amazing game. It was a defensive struggle the whole game and neither team got a lead of more than six or seven points. Either of those teams could have won the championship,but, that game showed that defensive wins championships. Look at some teams today in the nba who are dropping almost 100 pts a game but are terrible because they have no defensive, anybody can score, you don't have to work half as hard on offensive then you do on defensive. Do you have any idea how trinity made seven trips to state in a row? It's because they worked their butts off on defense and the offense came. Also, trinity plays like a team, grinny hates stud ball and if they play stud ball they get to ride the pine, not play. Once again i'm not taking anything away from behlovak's ability, he's a great player, but how do you score 50 points in one game? i didn't see the game but, from what i hear williston would have won that game if they would've played some d to stop behlovak.
tdog09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:18 pm

tdog09 wrote:I would still have rather seen the 4-2 game than behlovak dropping 50. I'm not taking anything away from him by saying this, but the 06 championship game was an amazing game. It was a defensive struggle the whole game and neither team got a lead of more than six or seven points. Either of those teams could have won the championship,but, that game showed that defensive wins championships. Look at some teams today in the nba who are dropping almost 100 pts a game but are terrible because they have no defensive, anybody can score, you don't have to work half as hard on offensive then you do on defensive. Do you have any idea how trinity made seven trips to state in a row? It's because they worked their butts off on defense and the offense came. Also, trinity plays like a team, grinny hates stud ball and if they play stud ball they get to ride the pine, not play. Once again i'm not taking anything away from behlovak's ability, he's a great player, but how do you score 50 points in one game? i didn't see the game but, from what i hear williston would have won that game if they would've played some d to stop behlovak.

The shots Belohlavek was making were incredible. He would hit fade away's over Brian Qvale's outstretched arms. He would hit running jumpers off the backboard while falling sideways. On the other end, Qvale had 38 points, so it was a great game on both sides. There were numerous charges taken, many lead changes, and it has been, by far, the single most amazing ND game I have watched.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:29 pm

this is about a loaded question if I have ever seen one :lol: no matter what, you are going to have others that disagree with you. The 50 pointer would have been awesome to see, especially against williston. Good for you, you got to witness this first hand.
ndbsktbllfan

Postby balla45 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:45 pm

ndbsktbllfan wrote:this is about a loaded question if I have ever seen one :lol: no matter what, you are going to have others that disagree with you. The 50 pointer would have been awesome to see, especially against williston. Good for you, you got to witness this first hand.

I don't think there is any one right answer. The 4-2 game could have been amazing, but if someone isn't there to see it, they can't appreciate the game's greatness.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:38 pm

balla45 wrote:
ndbsktbllfan wrote:this is about a loaded question if I have ever seen one :lol: no matter what, you are going to have others that disagree with you. The 50 pointer would have been awesome to see, especially against williston. Good for you, you got to witness this first hand.

I don't think there is any one right answer. The 4-2 game could have been amazing, but if someone isn't there to see it, they can't appreciate the game's greatness.

very true, that is why we will have to take your word for it. You make it sound amazing though, and I have to admit, I would have like to see ANYONE drop 50 on williston. burning qvale. just awesome :P
ndbsktbllfan

Postby ButtonsTheClown » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Central Cass over Sherwood in 1955 - 50-46. Undefeated State Champs.
ButtonsTheClown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison101 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm

2005 Class B Championship with NRS vs. Bottineau. The game had everything. There were way too many storylines to name!
Bison101
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics