Biggest Upsets in ND B-Ball History

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby VikeMike » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:53 pm

So what would you say were the biggest upsets in North Dakota High School Basketball History?
VikeMike
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:33 pm

state tourneys, regular season....or what?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Larrylegend33 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:35 pm

I nominate Leeds over Trinity in the state title game, in 1999 I believe.  That Trinity team was undefeated and ranked #1 most of the year.  All 5 starters were seniors and all 5 averaged double figures in points per game.  Leeds hung around, took a late lead on a 3 pointer, and blocked a last-second shot by THS to win it.  That was arguably Trinity's most talented team ever.  I believe that that team was better than Trinity's 2004 and 2006 state champs, but Leeds was 1 point better on that Saturday night.
Larrylegend33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby g_baller » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:29 pm

Larrylegend33 wrote:I nominate Leeds over Trinity in the state title game, in 1999 I believe.  That Trinity team was undefeated and ranked #1 most of the year.  All 5 starters were seniors and all 5 averaged double figures in points per game.  Leeds hung around, took a late lead on a 3 pointer, and blocked a last-second shot by THS to win it.  That was arguably Trinity's most talented team ever.  I believe that that team was better than Trinity's 2004 and 2006 state champs, but Leeds was 1 point better on that Saturday night.

YES. also, this trinity team just came down from class A the year before so they definitely were very experienced. i think leeds had a guy by the name of brett moser?? he was great. dont know where he went to college though.
g_baller
NDPreps Rookie

Postby thundercat 99 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:55 pm

g_baller wrote:
Larrylegend33 wrote:I nominate Leeds over Trinity in the state title game, in 1999 I believe.  That Trinity team was undefeated and ranked #1 most of the year.  All 5 starters were seniors and all 5 averaged double figures in points per game.  Leeds hung around, took a late lead on a 3 pointer, and blocked a last-second shot by THS to win it.  That was arguably Trinity's most talented team ever.  I believe that that team was better than Trinity's 2004 and 2006 state champs, but Leeds was 1 point better on that Saturday night.

YES. also, this trinity team just came down from class A the year before so they definitely were very experienced. i think leeds had a guy by the name of brett moser?? he was great. dont know where he went to college though.

actually, that team did not come from class A the previous season

trinity came down from class A in like 92' or 93'
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:54 am

Leeds also played in the title game the year prior to that and a ton of experience back as well...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 am

Biggest upset team in recent memory would be the Bisbee-Egeland team of 1989. They weren't ranked the entire year - weren't supposed to win their District and did - weren't supposed to win the 1st game of the region - and won the whole thing - supposed to get 8th at state and took 1st.
Not bad for a team that ended the regular season 12-7.
Beat a highly ranked and way more dominant Newburg Eagle team for the championship.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:15 pm

Maybe not an upset but who can forget Epping in the 70's..One of the smallest schools and they made it to the title game.  The entire state except for those living with in the city of the Burro's was pulling for them...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Re: Biggest Upsets in ND B-Ball History

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:19 am

One big upset in my opinion was in the 2000 state tourney. #1 and 25-0 Litchville-Marion-Montpelier took on a Minot Ryan team that made it to the Region tourney via a play-in game. That was such a shocker because everyone was expecting the big #1 L-M-M v.s. #2 Oak Grove matchup in the championship. Oak Grove went on to beat Minot Ryan in the championship.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Biggest Upsets in ND B-Ball History

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:27 pm

The biggest upset I can think of off hand is Larimore over Hillsboro in the first round of districts back in 98 or sometime around there. Larimore had won one game all year and Hillsboro had only lost one all year (I think) and were ranked in the top 5 at state and were suppose to end MPCG's run at the state tourney. Larimore beat Hillsboro and wound up taking 4th...Hillsboro easily took 5th, but this was back before their district went to double elimination format and had the old challenge game format when the 5th place team could take on the 4th place team and the winner would go to region. BUT, since Larimore already beat Hillsboro they couldn't challenge and Larimore went on to regions and were eliminated in their first game.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics