What was the best game ever played in North Dakota.

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:28 am

Wasn't the Regent game from the night before about the same thing?  I think I remember the two teams stalling all game to prepare for whoever won to play Hettinger the next night.  Correct me if I'm wrong here...
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby itsallabouteddie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:49 pm

back in the late 60's, Hillsboro and Mayville battled i think it was in the district tournement to a 7-5 game. I believe the game was also a double ot game, with the Burros coming out on top. It was one of those games where the one team was much better than the other and the weaker team stalled the clock out. I think from what i heard Mayville didn't even have a field goal the entire game. Coach Beyer said that if he had played that game over again, he would've pressed the whole time.
itsallabouteddie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:06 am

This was a district tourney game and the last second shot, didn't count because the kid traveled.

Regent was a bad team but Hettinger had 6'9" Vlem, 6"7" Vlem (sorry about the spelling, Then the had the remaining starters all over 6'.  Regent started mostly 9th and 10th graders.

I think if memory serves me correctly the radio announcer said that Steve Wiseman was standing at the time line talking to a spectator and laughing.  Announcer was wondering what joke had been told.

Radio took commercial breaks during the third and fourth quarter. 

I just called a friend to confirm, it was Scott Sheldon (future Mr. Basketball candidate) that had the ball at the end of the game.

Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:24 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Wasn't the Regent game from the night before about the same thing?  I think I remember the two teams stalling all game to prepare for whoever won to play Hettinger the next night.  Correct me if I'm wrong here...
seriously? it was to stay fresh for the next game? didnt it make ESPN or something. I thought it was jeff sheldon?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Larrylegend33 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:15 pm

Am I missing something here?  Why would Hettinger's coach tell his players to sit back in the lane and allow Regent to stall?  If your team is more physically gifted than your opponents, you need to pressure the ball at every opportunity and try to force a turnover.  You can't force Regent to take a shot, but you can at least make them pass the ball around.  It sounds like Regent's only hope was to stall, so I don't understand why Hettinger would allow them to do that.
Larrylegend33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:44 pm

Larrylegend33 wrote:Am I missing something here?  Why would Hettinger's coach tell his players to sit back in the lane and allow Regent to stall?  If your team is more physically gifted than your opponents, you need to pressure the ball at every opportunity and try to force a turnover.  You can't force Regent to take a shot, but you can at least make them pass the ball around.  It sounds like Regent's only hope was to stall, so I don't understand why Hettinger would allow them to do that.

No body knows.... haha
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:59 am

baller01 wrote:
Larrylegend33 wrote:Am I missing something here?  Why would Hettinger's coach tell his players to sit back in the lane and allow Regent to stall?  If your team is more physically gifted than your opponents, you need to pressure the ball at every opportunity and try to force a turnover.  You can't force Regent to take a shot, but you can at least make them pass the ball around.  It sounds like Regent's only hope was to stall, so I don't understand why Hettinger would allow them to do that.

No body knows.... haha

That has to rank up there with calling a timeout and tellin your player that you have no clue what to do.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby VikeMike » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:56 am

I'll put in a vote for the Fort Yates Warrior's 3OT come-from-behind upset win over Minot in the State A title game in 1973. If it wasn't the greatest game, it is one of them. It was certainly one of the best championship games, as well as the greatest finish.
VikeMike
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BaldEagle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:09 pm

VikeMike wrote:I'll put in a vote for the Fort Yates Warrior's 3OT come-from-behind upset win over Minot in the State A title game in 1973. If it wasn't the greatest game, it is one of them. It was certainly one of the best championship games, as well as the greatest finish.

This game gets my vote too. :cool::cool::cool:
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby the truth » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:10 pm

1991 state championship game watford city beat munich by 1 pt i believe
the truth
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baller01 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:21 pm

baller01 wrote:

No body knows.... haha

Just so everyone knows, Jon Butterfield was Hettinger's coach (present coach at Mott-Regent and former Hettinger standout) and Regent's head coach was Curt Honeyman.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby football#1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:47 am

Just not to long ago devils lakes 2 buzzer beaters in the EDC championhip to win all and win the title
football#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndhoopscoach » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:47 am

I was at the Hettinger/Regent famous 4-2 game.  It by far was not the best game ever played.  It was horrible to sit there and watch one guy hold the ball, while the other players stood there and talked.  It was ridiculous.
ndhoopscoach

Postby baller01 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:49 am

ndhoopscoach wrote:I was at the Hettinger/Regent famous 4-2 game.  It by far was not the best game ever played.  It was horrible to sit there and watch one guy hold the ball, while the other players stood there and talked.  It was ridiculous.

Think of it like this... In the history of North Dakota basketball, how many buzzer beaters have there been compared to how many 4-2 games there have been...

It might not have been the most exciting, it's just the fact that it will never happen again. There will always be buzzer beaters and double overtime games and such, but those will always happen. This game was a once in a lifetime game.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:03 pm

baller01 wrote:
ndhoopscoach wrote:I was at the Hettinger/Regent famous 4-2 game.  It by far was not the best game ever played.  It was horrible to sit there and watch one guy hold the ball, while the other players stood there and talked.  It was ridiculous.

Think of it like this... In the history of North Dakota basketball, how many buzzer beaters have there been compared to how many 4-2 games there have been...

It might not have been the most exciting, it's just the fact that it will never happen again. There will always be buzzer beaters and double overtime games and such, but those will always happen. This game was a once in a lifetime game.

i pray it was once in a lifetime. it would be one short story. *edit - after writing a pseudo story, i guess it wouldn't be horrible. more horrible to watch than to write about.*

dunkville raced to a 4-2 lead over dribble high tuesday and then the game's pace slowed considerably.

the two teams combined for a total of six shots in the game. as both used stall tactics throughout a game competitive only in the score.

'i thought we had em when we scored our two points,' said baldy bingledorf, dribble high basketball coach.

scooter mcgruder led all scorers in the game with two points, also grabbing a team-high three rebounds.

'i'm pretty happy,' said dunkville high coach scotty skywalker. 'our offense had a gameplan going in and we executed. and our defensive pressure was great. those kids were really laying it all out there. i've got to hand it to the other team, they really came to play, too.'
rep

Postby bcourtbraves » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:37 pm

How about the 97 Class A State Championship?? OT, i was a little tyke then but i remember watching the game and everyone in the gym was absolutely crazy
Believe Big
bcourtbraves
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tu-Big » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:37 pm

rumbles wrote:Last years state game was pretty exciting too with Trinity beating mpcg on a last second shot

Are you serious? That might have been the most boring game ive ever seen, what was the final...32-34??? I remember after that game just being happy that it was over and that i didnt have to watch anymore of it. For a Mayville or Trinity fan that would have been very exciting but for an un-biased fan...incredibly boring. My vote DEFINATELY goes to the NR-S vs Bottineau game. It was fast paced...high scoring...with a couple of overtimes, still one of the best combacks ive ever seen. If cambell doesnt put up that 3 in the corner with about 20 seconds left Bottineau would have won it all.
Tu-Big

Postby Jefferson Clark » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:09 pm

how did the hettinger/regent game end up 4-2 and why was it so low? also what year was it played in
Jefferson Clark

Postby Jefferson Clark » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:12 pm

nevermind my post above i read through the whole thing as saw everything i wanted to know sorry
Jefferson Clark

Postby ballaholic#3 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:45 pm

how about Leeds vs. Trinity in 1999 (?) for the state title. i remember the whole crowd being nuts the whole game and a great ending. oh and the NR-S vs. Botno game was good ending but for 3 quarters it was not a good game. so for that reason i say the Leeds vs. Trinity game.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:47 pm

The one that will always be talked about is Hillsboro/Epping

But my personal favorite was Newburg/Linton the second time, when Newburg won.
Last edited by NDSportsFan on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:36 am

NDSportsFan wrote: The one that will always be talked about is Hillsboro/Epping

But my personal favorite was Newburg/Linton the second time, when Newburg won.

That was a great game but sorry Linton won the second one too. 

Linton beat Newburg for the title in 1984 with Dennis Beck and company. Then Linton beat them again for the title in 1985 which was a great game, two great coahces and Linton upset Newburg, they were Loaded in 1985 but Linton made some miracle shots to stay in the game and won.

Newburg beat Belfield for the state championship in 1986 which was their least talented team during that incredible run.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:46 am

You are right, I was thinking of 86 when Newburg finally won it after two losses.  Althought the two earlier teams were probably more talented, they just couldn't beat the Becks and Co.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:56 pm

bcourtbraves wrote:How about the 97 Class A State Championship?? OT, i was a little tyke then but i remember watching the game and everyone in the gym was absolutely crazy

yea Beulah vs Mayport CG. I dont believe it was OT. Mayports starters were all 6'5..one of beulahs starters was 5'7 put it this way he was on the bench most of the game..Mayport won 47-46. Beulah got the ball with 5 seconds Beulahs 6' point guard Jayden Olsen who was a future Mr. BB canidate drove the lane got a good shot but put up a airball against the Mayport giants, shoulda kicked out. That Mayport team best team in 'B' history no doubt.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:48 am

The best game i have ever seen was Williston at Mandan last year.  Belohlavek went off for 51 points 10 rebounds and 2 buzzer beaters.  Qvale had something like 38 points 15 rebounds 8 blocks.  I think it was the most exciting and the game that showed the most talent.

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics