What was the best game ever played in North Dakota.

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby cubsfan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:47 pm

In recent history the game that comes to mind is the Bottineau vs. NR-S.  NR-S comes back from being way down to win in double OT.  It was a very exciting game to watch.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rumbles » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:55 pm

Last years state game was pretty exciting too with Trinity beating mpcg on a last second shot
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:18 pm

cubsfan wrote:In recent history the game that comes to mind is the Bottineau vs. NR-S.  NR-S comes back from being way down to win in double OT.  It was a very exciting game to watch.

IMO this was the greatest, most exciting game in the history of class B basketball. I know MPCG-Trinity last year was a last second shot too but NR-Botno was way more exciting. NR had to come all the way back, plus it went double overtime, and was won on a great last second shot.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rumbles » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:04 pm

baller01 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:In recent history the game that comes to mind is the Bottineau vs. NR-S.  NR-S comes back from being way down to win in double OT.  It was a very exciting game to watch.

IMO this was the greatest, most exciting game in the history of class B basketball. I know MPCG-Trinity last year was a last second shot too but NR-Botno was way more exciting. NR had to come all the way back, plus it went double overtime, and was won on a great last second shot.
i agree the NR-bottineau game was more exciting
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:00 pm

rumbles wrote:
baller01 wrote:

i agree the NR-bottineau game was more exciting

NR-S vs Bottineau definately has my vote.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:07 pm

I'd have to agree with the NR Botno game being the best ever in recent memory, if not ever...period.  Does anyone know of any great games from way back in the day??  Another great game was the year Leeds beat Trinity for the championship.....coming back from double digits and hitting a three with 15 seconds left, then an exciting defensive stand to end the game.  The comeback North Border put on Cando was ver impressive as well.  Are there any other great championship games that people can remember?? 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:23 am

The Epping vs. Hillsboro game for the state championship must have been a very good game.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby itsallabouteddie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:46 pm

cubsfan wrote:The Epping vs. Hillsboro game for the state championship must have been a very good game.

I was just gonna say that i have an old tape of that game in my collection and every time i watch it, it is so unreal, sure it wasn't a buzzer beater game, but just the contrast in the two teams. Hillsboro had been two years removed from wrapping up their 2nd straight title and Epping was just coming off of a losing streak of biblical proportions, and managed to make the title game. just watching the starting lineups of that game was crazy the emotion of the crowd. Everybody in the civic center but the Hillsboro fans were booing Hillsboro as if Hitler came back to life and cloned himself enough times to make a basketball team. Dave Nelson and the Burros eventually held on for the win. A few years after the game not so sure on the exact time line, Epping's school closed down. They even had a reunion/rematch game i believe 10 years later, I believe in Epping. It was just an awesome game.
itsallabouteddie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Hettinger 4

Regent 2
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby rumbles » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Tiger Pride wrote:Hettinger 4

Regent 2
Seriously, when was this
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby huskers » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:23 pm

One of the better games in recent Class A history would have to be the 2004 state title game between Bismarck and St. Mary's. Bismarck was in control for the first three and a half quarters, leading by as much as 12. But then St. Mary's came back to take the lead and Tom Verdouw hit a jumper with 40-some seconds left to all but ice it. Maybe I'm bias because I was in the SM student section, but it was still one of the better games I've ever witnessed live.
huskers
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:29 pm

huskers wrote:One of the better games in recent Class A history would have to be the 2004 state title game between Bismarck and St. Mary's. Bismarck was in control for the first three and a half quarters, leading by as much as 12. But then St. Mary's came back to take the lead and Tom Verdouw hit a jumper with 40-some seconds left to all but ice it. Maybe I'm bias because I was in the SM student section, but it was still one of the better games I've ever witnessed live.

That was the greatest clas A game I've ever seen.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:29 pm

rumbles wrote:

Regent 2
Seriously, when was this

Early 90's. Funny thing is, Regent had a shot to win that game. I believe the last shot of the game went down and then out.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:14 pm

SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:
rumbles wrote:

Regent 2
Seriously, when was this

Early 90's. Funny thing is, Regent had a shot to win that game. I believe the last shot of the game went down and then out.

1992 or 1993, I believe.  Was that in the district or region tournament?

I think it was the regional tournament. I believe when they played earlier in the year Hettinger won by a huge margain.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:31 pm

are you kidding me??????6 points total?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:are you kidding me??????6 points total?

Nope. That game is actually brought up from time to time when discussing the shot clock in class B.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:17 pm

were both teams THAT BAD offensivly or what?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:47 pm

The Schwab wrote:were both teams THAT BAD offensivly or what?

Haha wow, you have never heard about this game before huh? Hettinger was one of the best teams in the state that year. Hettinger got the jump ball, went down and scored. Hettinger-2 Regent-0. Regent then got the ball and got it across the halfline. Regent then managed to hold the ball right across the halfline for the remaining 7:30 or so. Hettinger had a really old school coach who just decided to have his players stay back in the lane. With the clock running down Regent then went for a shot and missed. End of the first quarter, Hettinger-2 Regent-0

Start of the second quarter Regent got the ball and stalled the whole quarter. With time running down Regent went for two and got it. Halftime score Hettinger-2 Regent-2.

Start of the third quarter Hettinger got the ball and went down and scored right away. Regent then got the ball and stalled the remaining 7:30 once again. At the end of the quarter they failed to score. End of third quarter, Hettinger-4 Regent-2

Start of the fourth quarter Regent got the ball and stalled the whole quarter out again. With time running down Regent fired a 3-pointer and it went in and out. Had he made that shot Regent (who wasn't very good) would have beat one of the best teams in the state. Final score, Hettinger-4 Regent-2.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:00 pm

That had to have been the most boringest game to watch ever.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:33 pm

wow...thanks for the information
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:49 pm

baller01 wrote:

Haha wow, you have never heard about this game before huh? Hettinger was one of the best teams in the state that year. Hettinger got the jump ball, went down and scored. Hettinger-2 Regent-0. Regent then got the ball and got it across the halfline. Regent then managed to hold the ball right across the halfline for the remaining 7:30 or so. Hettinger had a really old school coach who just decided to have his players stay back in the lane. With the clock running down Regent then went for a shot and missed. End of the first quarter, Hettinger-2 Regent-0

Start of the second quarter Regent got the ball and stalled the whole quarter. With time running down Regent went for two and got it. Halftime score Hettinger-2 Regent-2.

Start of the third quarter Hettinger got the ball and went down and scored right away. Regent then got the ball and stalled the remaining 7:30 once again. At the end of the quarter they failed to score. End of third quarter, Hettinger-4 Regent-2

Start of the fourth quarter Regent got the ball and stalled the whole quarter out again. With time running down Regent fired a 3-pointer and it went in and out. Had he made that shot Regent (who wasn't very good) would have beat one of the best teams in the state. Final score, Hettinger-4 Regent-2.

wow...hettingers points per possision is amazing.  that is something not said in the score haha
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rumbles » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:09 pm

baseball wrote:
baller01 wrote:

wow...hettingers points per possision is amazing.  that is something not said in the score haha
So there were no turnovers or anyting thaey stalled and passed the ball around or what
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:13 pm

rumbles wrote:
baseball wrote:
baller01 wrote:

So there were no turnovers or anyting thaey stalled and passed the ball around or what

No, they just stood and held the ball. Thats it. Stand with a basketabll for 7-8 minutes and thats what they did.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:16 pm

does anyone have a copy of the tape of that game....because i dont believe it
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rumbles » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:22 pm

Got to be boring to play defense.....or offense
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference