A Starkweather hero.

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:21 am

A certain player of who's anonymity I'll respect but I will say his initials are T. H. and he now lives on Souther Cali, is the topic.  This former Stormking led the region in charges attempted to be taken in the 93-94 season with a mind boggling 7 per game.  Ol' T H the guy from starkweather but lives in San Diego, CA now, I think in City Heights or something, was so good at taking charges he could get a charging call when his back was to the offensive player, his technique of using theatrics much like a Rodman, Rambis, Laimbeer, Bakken, and almost overzealous emphasis on getting at least 2-3 floorburns per game (FBPG) made him the top charge taker for that one magical season where T H was truely crowned a Stormking.

A tribute to the guys who do the little things in sports.  About knowing your role and contributing to the team in your own special way, no matter if you couldn't score a bucket if you were the only one in the gym, you could help your team gain at least several small morale victories a game.

Cheers to knowing your role.
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby Batman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:18 am

I agree.   There is a lot more to the game than just scoring points. 
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:11 pm

*Bad joke, all I can hear is The Rock going "Know your role!"*

All joking aside, sports is absolutely made up of role players. They make the team. For simply stated, without role players, you have no team.

Good post 4 Winds.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:32 am

I agree with 1337, Role players are the grease for the gears!  Look at players like Mark Maddog Madsen for the T-wolves,  He started out coming off the bench for the Lakers, and he brought that energy that they needed to get over the hump.  He was traded to the T-Wolves, and went from off the bench to a starter.  He knows he is not going to the put up numbers like KG but he is going to make sure that KG can put up the numbers, whether it is setting a pick for him or getting him that ball.  Dennis Rodman was another role player, he was not going to put up points but he is going to stop his opponent from doing so,  His role was defense and rebounding.  Kids on the bench also have a role, to keep their heads in the game and pick up their teammates when they are down.  You look at major college football games, sidelines keep their teams jacked up!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 1337 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:14 am

Indians Alumni wrote:You look at major college football games, sidelines keep their teams jacked up!

A very good visual representation of this concept!
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics