Coaching Legends

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby mitchstrand » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:14 am

i am from Regent, and i think our town has been blessed to have two of the top ten coaches in class B in the last 20-30 yrs.  We had Curt Honeyman when it was just Regent, and it seem like every yera he would have us contending for a regional championship with only 12-15 guys in the HS playing.  That was a big accomplishment, since we were regularily beating towns at least 4X our size in enrollment.  Now with it being Mott/Regent, we convinced John Butterfield to come out of retirement, and if you remember, he coached some great years in Hettinger's high time in the 80's, then went to Harding County, SD for like 4-6 years and produced vvery good teams.  You saw him do it agian this yr with Mott/Regent, doing what no one thought our district could do again Beulah, Killdeer, Trinity, R/T, and hazen.  We upset Killdeer and nearly upset Trinity, and in my opinion, gave them the biggest test in the regional tournament.  He did this with a team that played 10 players the whole game, without have anyone who averaged more that like 13 ppg...no stars.  Just commitment. Both coaches get the most out of their players.
mitchstrand
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:09 pm

mitchstrand wrote:i am from Regent, and i think our town has been blessed to have two of the top ten coaches in class B in the last 20-30 yrs.  We had Curt Honeyman when it was just Regent, and it seem like every yera he would have us contending for a regional championship with only 12-15 guys in the HS playing.  That was a big accomplishment, since we were regularily beating towns at least 4X our size in enrollment.  Now with it being Mott/Regent, we convinced John Butterfield to come out of retirement, and if you remember, he coached some great years in Hettinger's high time in the 80's, then went to Harding County, SD for like 4-6 years and produced vvery good teams.  You saw him do it agian this yr with Mott/Regent, doing what no one thought our district could do again Beulah, Killdeer, Trinity, R/T, and hazen.  We upset Killdeer and nearly upset Trinity, and in my opinion, gave them the biggest test in the regional tournament.  He did this with a team that played 10 players the whole game, without have anyone who averaged more that like 13 ppg...no stars.  Just commitment. Both coaches get the most out of their players.

Honeyman is a genious...
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby busch3434 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:41 pm

one person who i didn't see on this list......steve carnal, granted he has had some very good teams, but this past season his team wasn't the greatest and he took them to the region championship, oh and he's got over 500 wins.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Postby allsport » Tue May 01, 2007 7:26 am

Bob Hunskor was a great coach.
allsport
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Minnow34 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 am

Barry Haggin of Divide County.  He took 3 boys and 3 girls teams to state.  He won a championship in each, a runnerup in each, a third, a fifth, and a seventh.  He is in the ND Coaches Hall of Fame.  In the same year he took the girls to a runnerup and the boys to the title.
Minnow34
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Minnow34 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:14 am

Whoops on the fifth place finish...different coach.
Minnow34
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 am

BaldEagle wrote:
bruins44 wrote: the true test of a great coach is when he has average talent and his team overachieves!!!

Cooter Symington, around 10 years as coach, 2 state appearances, 1 title, out of a tough region 2.  Both state teams were not expected to get as far as they did.

Eddie Beyer best of all-time.

by far the best of all time.

baller01, do you happen to know if Carr coached in Minnesota before ND and if so how many wins he has there??
Last edited by baseball on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:43 am

baseball wrote:
BaldEagle wrote:
bruins44 wrote: the true test of a great coach is when he has average talent and his team overachieves!!!

Cooter Symington, around 10 years as coach, 2 state appearances, 1 title, out of a tough region 2.  Both state teams were not expected to get as far as they did.

Eddie Beyer best of all-time.

by far the best of all time.

baller01, do you happen to know if Carr coached in Minnesota before ND and if so how many wins he has there??

Not 100% positive... I think he was assistant. I'll find out for you.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gbpackers » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:58 pm

i'd have to say eddie beyer and dave nelson
gbpackers
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Hinsa » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:59 am

Ed Beyer - Discipline, motivation, and attention to detail - his teams knew exactly what they needed to do to be the best they could be

Bob Hunskor - a class act and a gentleman

Dave Nelson - see Bob Hunskor; really, how many coaches still wear a suit coat every time they coach? What a role model.

Gene Manson - to be able to be successful for so many years in one place, especially a big school like Minot, the man has to have superb communication skills
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Nodak Guy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:17 pm

Most of you might not like this answer, but you have to start thinking about Grinsteiner at Trinity and Dwyer at Shiloh.  I know, private schools.  But they are still getting to the show.  Comments??
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:Most of you might not like this answer, but you have to start thinking about Grinsteiner at Trinity and Dwyer at Shiloh.  I know, private schools.  But they are still getting to the show.  Comments??
Well most schools don't have the budget to go out and get players like they do.  But in all reality they are getting the job done year after year.  Grinnsteiner is probably the most successful coach in the last 15 years.  Dwyer keeps getting his team to state.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Spiritof76 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:08 am

Honeyman was one of the best......and funnest coaches.....you had fun....you did it right and more often than not...you ended up winning.
Spiritof76
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vikes705 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:11 pm

i agree with a lot of the other posts about ed beyer. i think that he was the best coach north dakota has seen

as for current coaches, Carr and Nelson are very good. in the 04-05 season, mayville was a very young team and weren't expected to do very well at all. they ended up making it to state.

here's a fun fact that most of you probably already know: dave nelson's father-in-law is ed beyer
vikes705

Re:

Postby chevyman11 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:14 pm

mitchstrand wrote:i am from Regent, and i think our town has been blessed to have two of the top ten coaches in class B in the last 20-30 yrs.  We had Curt Honeyman when it was just Regent, and it seem like every yera he would have us contending for a regional championship with only 12-15 guys in the HS playing.  That was a big accomplishment, since we were regularily beating towns at least 4X our size in enrollment.  Now with it being Mott/Regent, we convinced John Butterfield to come out of retirement, and if you remember, he coached some great years in Hettinger's high time in the 80's, then went to Harding County, SD for like 4-6 years and produced vvery good teams.  You saw him do it agian this yr with Mott/Regent, doing what no one thought our district could do again Beulah, Killdeer, Trinity, R/T, and hazen.  We upset Killdeer and nearly upset Trinity, and in my opinion, gave them the biggest test in the regional tournament.  He did this with a team that played 10 players the whole game, without have anyone who averaged more that like 13 ppg...no stars.  Just commitment. Both coaches get the most out of their players.

John Butterfield is a great coach, and im a little surprised that he came out of retirement to coach M/R, but when i guess when you're that dedicated to the game there really only was one optoin for him.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Coaching Legends

Postby old lineman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 pm

1. Coach Beyer
2.Nelson M-P
3. Kessler M-P
4. Honeyman Lost a game 4-2 once didn't he??
5. Jim Howson Hatton
6. Olson Beulah
7. Manson class A doesn't get the popular small town vote

FOOTBALL
Sandy Bros.
Doctor Bros.
Hank, Jim Dew, and all the other Mayville State grads'

Craig Smith x Mayville State would be crowned best performance on a K-mart budget. 2 in the nation
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:34 pm

What about Ron Carlson from Minnewaukan?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old lineman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:42 pm

Son of Dusty Carlson, also a Mayville State Grad. Let's put him at a solid number 2 He was a Portland Pirate not a MP Patriot. He reminds me of his old B squad coach Warren (Jake) Jacobsen. Carlson put together alot of real good teams.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:25 am

There are a lot of Mayville St alums that became excellent coaches
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:32 am

old lineman wrote:1. Coach Beyer
2.Nelson M-P
3. Kessler M-P
4. Honeyman Lost a game 4-2 once didn't he??
5. Jim Howson Hatton
6. Olson Beulah
7. Manson class A doesn't get the popular small town vote

FOOTBALL
Sandy Bros.
Doctor Bros.
Hank, Jim Dew, and all the other Mayville State grads'

Craig Smith x Mayville State would be crowned best performance on a K-mart budget. 2 in the nation

Really gotta add Collette Folstad to the list...she basically started girls basketball in this state both in high school and at NDSU
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:43 am

not really trying to take a shot here or anything, out of curiosity, why do you feel kessler should be on that list?
rep

Postby BB11 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:01 pm

rep wrote:not really trying to take a shot here or anything, out of curiosity, why do you feel kessler should be on that list?

I was wondering the same - Also - you can't forget Fred Fridley, or Rod Oksendahl as two of the greatest FB coaches in ND History - I believe the two winningest in 11-man anyway.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby old lineman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:27 pm

I would gladly add Coach Oskendahl and Fridley to the List. That would be as easy as a breakaway layup in Pisek against the B Squad.

Item 2
Coach Kessler--His first year in Mecca my senior year- I didn't like his x's and o's to start and thought bad thoughts. we eventually beat the Burro's that year first time in over 3 years. He had some tremendous players that he taught to work together. With those young arrogant athletes he never once had problems with the "I am the team" and had everybody working together. So if he did't bring the monster team to where they went he would have been a scape goat. To coach those athletes, with all the pressure that no one should beat them is huge and he did it. His best coaching was the year his son Kelly was a senior, Kelly was a big boy to say the least and that team was not blessed with alot of gifted teammates. When the cupboard was bare the teams were still competitive.

The job of mentoring alot of young men came pretty easy to him. Look at where some of his boy's are now. Ben and Matt Jacobson, Swift, Klabo's, Ewen, and the list could go on and on. The point lots of trips to the State Class B. Alot of young men learned lessons on the court and in the classroom.

So if you have doubt's about his coaching ability we could have a disagreement. On his end product that he produces ten years down the road he has done a great job. We could add many to this list that produce the great end product. That is why I enjoy looking at ND Preps so old fat guys can think of the glory days. "Glory Days" what a great title for a song.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby old lineman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:35 pm

To vikes 705

Do you think Eddie ever has found it in his heart to Cheer for the Patriots? Or would Eddie put on a 80's leasure suit, get Kyle Meyer, Bobby Beach and the boys back in shape and give his son-in law a run for his money??
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:15 pm

old lineman wrote:
The job of mentoring alot of young men came pretty easy to him. Look at where some of his boy's are now. Ben and Matt Jacobson, Swift, Klabo's, Ewen, and the list could go on and on. The point lots of trips to the State Class B. Alot of young men learned lessons on the court and in the classroom.

having spent time in kessler's class room, i can you firsthand they likely didn't learn much. other than that, i can't say i disagree with what you had to say. like the year they lost to jimmy k and carrington...can't remember the year offhand...94(?)...seemed like he caught some flack because mayville 'was a stacked team' even though the carrington team wasn't exactly a group of pushovers...some added pressure there with everyone gunning for them.
rep

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics