Best basketball gym in ND

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby Honus355 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:30 pm

I think that, although there are some nice gyms in class A, and most of them are pretty decent, that the Class B ranks are definitely where the best gyms are, mainly because of the atmosphere. Most of these new gyms are too big they then lose some of the atmosphere during the regular season.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNC1 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:17 pm

Next year Bowman will probably have one of the nicest gym. They r getting a new wood floor. The people who put in the Pistons floor is putting in Bowman's.
UNC1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ibleedcarolinablue » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:12 pm

they should put "[glow=darkred]The palace of Bowman Buttes[/glow]" on the floor. Or "[glow=violet]Coach Z court[/glow]" Tha'd be sweet. I also heard they're getting new motorized bleachers
ibleedcarolinablue

Postby UNC1 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:25 pm

ibleedcarolinablue wrote:they should put "
The palace of Bowman Buttes
" on the floor. Or "
Coach Z court
" Tha'd be sweet. I also heard they're getting new motorized bleachers

That would be dumb to put on it
UNC1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:29 pm

UNC1 wrote:Next year Bowman will probably have one of the nicest gym. They r getting a new wood floor. The people who put in the Pistons floor is putting in Bowman's.

Pro teams dont have permanant floors!! they are all portable floors layed on concrete or ontop of Ice,so how does the Pistons floor come into this? unless its their practice facilities floor?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:38 pm

Honus355 wrote:I think that, although there are some nice gyms in class A, and most of them are pretty decent, that the Class B ranks are definitely where the best gyms are, mainly because of the atmosphere. Most of these new gyms are too big they then lose some of the atmosphere during the regular season.

I guess if playing in a gym that seats 200 over most Class A gyms that seat 2000 - 3000 is better then thats your opinion...  funny that during Class B districts and Regions they play in Class A type gyms, and the atmosphere is great because of the # of people attending... Class A gyms do have good atmosphere, its just 1000 people in a gym that holds 2000 just doesnt seem like a gym that holds 200 and there are 190 people there, Where would you rather play??:cool:
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Honus355 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:25 am

Good point Bruins44. I never really thought of it that way. The consistency of the gyms on the class A level is very good, the courts seemingly all are in good condition. I guess what I was trying to say about the Class B courts that i didn't get out is the uniqueness of each of them. Its seems like they all have their own little quirks and twist whether it be the flooring (tile, tartan) or the stage being right next to the court...they all seem to have some defining feature (as some have been eluded to before). I was just wondering some of the memories that people have of these features. I used to watch games in Sheyenne (when they were still co-oped with Minnewauken) and I remember that during the fall, which was then girls basketball season, that it would get so hot in the gym that bubbles would form under the tartan floor. Any other experiences?
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby ibleedcarolinablue » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:41 am

[user=14]bruins44[/user] wrote:

Pro teams dont have permanant floors!! they are all portable floors layed on concrete or ontop of Ice,so how does the Pistons floor come into this? unless its their practice facilities floor?

the pistons floor comes into this cause I saw the letter that the Detroit Pistons wrote to the guys doing the bowman floor congratulating them on what a great job they did. Meaning, the group who did the Detroit Pistons floor, is doing bowmans.
ibleedcarolinablue

Postby jimmie44 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:47 am

Anyone familiar with the "Barley Hall" in Osnabrock?  I've never seen a floor sweat so much as that.  They actually had to move a game a few years back, the whole gym loaded up and drove to Edmore to finish the game.  Talk about a momentum killer. 

Adams has a cozy little gym too, the 3 point line in the corners is actually about 17' from the basket, not regulation!  The out of bounds lines are about 5 inches from the walls there too. 

For its size, Edmore has a pretty decent gym.  The floor is real nice, and they have a fair amount of seating too. 

Langdon of course has the nicest gym out of that district/region.  I think they should have districts there every year.  Waaaay back when I played, they had districts in Rolla (darkest gym in the state).  But at least you could shower there, unlike Munich. (The water was so nasty, you were better off sweaty!) :?
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:10 pm

I remember back in 1999-2000 when Litchville-Marion-Montpelier had the #1 ranking in the state, games in Marion would be packed, that was one of the funnest places to be.  Basically the whole town was in the gym.  It got very hot in there.  We still get good crowds, but everyone wanted to see the 1999-2000 team play.  Marion still has tile floor.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedWings7 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:39 pm

i love the north and south domes in fargo, they have so much character...jamestown also has a nice and new remodeled gym which is very nice
RedWings7

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:44 am

The gym in Rhame has to be on some list.  The 3-point arch runs into the side line at the elbow (extende) and the jump circle is only a step away from the top of the key.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saas25 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:13 pm

Bismarck High may not have the best gym in the state, but one of the best atmospheres.  It usually packed full and the student section is probaly the best in the state, just ask any team in the west!  South and North have pretty nice courts also.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby Southwest supporter » Sun May 14, 2006 5:41 pm

I have played in many gyms around ND From Lansford to Grand Forks to Linton.  I do have to say the craziest gym and one of the best home court would have to be Rhame.  I have seen crazy games in that gym where Rhame sucked and faced Hettinger which was ranked #1 in state and Rhame took them to the end.  They don't have full three point lines and the out of bounds in some areas are like a couple of inches away from the way.  Lets just say it got very hot in that Gym.  So I would chose Rhame. 
Southwest supporter
NDPreps Rookie

Postby #50mandan » Sun May 14, 2006 5:51 pm

saas is right, they do got the good fans.   by the way saas, is ur first name brandon?

ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby jrh22 » Sun May 14, 2006 5:53 pm

I also agree with Saas, BHS has the best atmosphere.  Their fans are loud and it is definetly a tough place for an away team to play at.
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby boysbballfan » Tue May 16, 2006 6:44 pm

I believe Trinity has the nicest in western ND haven't seen any out east
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby demonfan74 » Thu May 18, 2006 4:07 pm

Bismarck for sure.  The facility is okay, but the karlgaard krazies are awesome.  They don't have any sportmanship, but they have spirit! It is one of the few class A schools that still gets a packed gym even if the game won't be the greatest.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan21 » Sun May 21, 2006 9:55 am

if you want to talk about atmosphere, have you ever been to a north/south baseketball game??  when those two teams are both good (which is almost every year) theres no better atmosphere to watch a game.  The students are crazy and its a cross town rival, which are always the best!
cubsfan21

Postby Ditka14 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:24 am

you guys want to talk about atmosphere and home court avantage if your walking into the mandan high girls home, odds are your coming out with a loss. That place is packed full every night. Thats an atmosphere and advantage.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby jrh22 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:06 pm

demonfan74 wrote:Bismarck for sure.  The facility is okay, but the karlgaard krazies are awesome.  They don't have any sportmanship, but they have spirit! It is one of the few class A schools that still gets a packed gym even if the game won't be the greatest.

BHS fans are Crazy.  I doubt any fans are louder or more into the game.  Ask any player from the west who played in the Karlgaard gym.
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsioux » Tue May 23, 2006 6:50 pm

karlgaard is awesome. youre right the fans have no sportsmanship or class, but it's high school so i suppose that's to be expected
ndsioux

Postby carolina blue » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:37 pm

im sorry but nick zenker(sorry if i spelled it wrong) isnt coaching or teaching there anymore i think and he didnt even get them to state.....so why would they put Coach K or that other dumb name you had.
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby Claz B Fan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:46 pm

Nicest In the east for class B would be Central Cass and the School with the most home court advantage would have to be Ligerwood but they tore it down it was barn and it seated like 100
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:35 pm

I agree, I think Hillsboro's new gym is very nice, and convenient to all sports, including wrestling upstairs and the football field right out the back doors.  Kulm's gym is like a cracker box, with the old-style gym floor that has no half court line, but instead has the double half court lines.  The first time I played there I was waiting for Jimmy Chitwood to come out of the locker room and run the picket fence play.  Definate home court advantage for the Gophers and a neat little place.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics