Best basketball gym in ND

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby ticket0115 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:16 am

At regionals when shiloh played wilton it was packed at umary gym there wasnt any room to even walk around. Concession were sold out before the championship game even started.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby kvrnm » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:23 am

i think "the well" in williston is the nicest court in the state. watching the class  B region 8 championship their is like no other, place is completely full and it seats around 4,000 or so. atmosphere is amazing, might not have as much history but its nice. also new towns gym is unbelivable for a high school court. williston trinity has a brand new facility thats real nice. hettinger mite have one of the best atmosopheres that crowd is seriously like none other.
kvrnm
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:30 am

Correct if I am wrong but Hazelton has a pretty nice gym with an unbelieveable court. 
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:34 pm

hfs77 wrote:Emerado!!

:D

LOL!!! I call your Emerado and raise you Manvel!

Half court was the free throw line on both sides!
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:50 pm

SCC wrote:Hope-Page plays on a tile gym floor at the elementary school in Page.  Any other schools that do this?

Midway had a tile floor. Playing there sucked. It was always dusty and slipery. Nice size and good lighting but crappy floor. But you could usually come out of there with a win as they were not very good with the exception of 99-00 and 00-01.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:53 pm

point/center wrote:so we've covered the barns. anyone play in a hole?

Edgeley for years played games in a hole. seating was about 20' above the court. no out of bounds except a wall.

Fingal a combination hole/barn.

Lakota had a hole until around 99. Stage was on one side and the players bench was on the other side along a brick wall with seating 10ft above the floor over the players and a walk way above both baselines as high as the basket. Great gym for game winning buzzer beating three pointers though;)!
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:58 pm

jimmie44 wrote:Anyone familiar with the "Barley Hall" in Osnabrock?  I've never seen a floor sweat so much as that.  They actually had to move a game a few years back, the whole gym loaded up and drove to Edmore to finish the game.  Talk about a momentum killer. 

Adams has a cozy little gym too, the 3 point line in the corners is actually about 17' from the basket, not regulation!  The out of bounds lines are about 5 inches from the walls there too. 

For its size, Edmore has a pretty decent gym.  The floor is real nice, and they have a fair amount of seating too. 

Langdon of course has the nicest gym out of that district/region.  I think they should have districts there every year.  Waaaay back when I played, they had districts in Rolla (darkest gym in the state).  But at least you could shower there, unlike Munich. (The water was so nasty, you were better off sweaty!) :?

Adams gym was so dark and the lights were so low and cramped all the way around with only three rows of seating. Back in the Tri-County Rebel days it was not a fun place to play. Saw way too many three pointers hit the low hanging lights and saw one game moved to Edinburgh because the floor was sweating too bad during the JV game. Like you mentioned about Munich, the drinking water in Adams was TERRIBLE!!! I brought my own water along whenever we played there.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:03 pm

Best complete throwback gym goes to Piesek who still had 5th/6th and junior high games there before the school closed around 92 and was entirely absorbed by Park River. It was a quanset style gym. Stage on one end and elevated seating on the other baseline over the hoop. The best part was the 1940's Hoosiers style game clock with the moving minute and second hands like a standard 12 hour clock that had the clock face turn red when in the final minute.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby hunter48 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:37 am

New Town has a brand new gym that is amazing.  Im not for sure but i am guessing that it is the biggest Class B gym. 
hunter48

Postby classb_fan00 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

Carrington has a big gym, with nice wood floors
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GodfatherB74 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:41 am

I would agree with Rhame, I coached and was the AD at Rhame.  I went back and looked at the scorebooks over a five year period.  I feel it is safe to say the gyms was worth 12 points a night.  Probably even more before they switch floors

GodfatherB74

Postby baseball » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:14 am

InTheKnow wrote:
SCC wrote:Hope-Page plays on a tile gym floor at the elementary school in Page.  Any other schools that do this?

Midway had a tile floor. Playing there sucked. It was always dusty and slipery. Nice size and good lighting but crappy floor. But you could usually come out of there with a win as they were not very good with the exception of 99-00 and 00-01.

Central Praire plays on a "lego-like" tile when they play in Medina and more traditional tile when in Gackle.  Edgeley is the only other gym i recall with the lego like tile. it has been a few years since i have played there though, maybe they changed it.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:43 pm

Carrington's floor has hollow spots in the lanes.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bearsfan » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:56 am

Beulah has a nice gym...... seating down below the entrance..... no reason for anyone to walk on the floor level.  Mezzanine floor to watch from above.  Pretty nice wood floor.... new lighting and sound system.  Seats around 2000.  Should be rockin' now that Beulah is back to class B!!!  Class B fans are the BEST!!!!
Bearsfan

Postby froggy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:17 pm

[font=georgia]there is nothin like the 2006 region 7 championship game between two top 5 state ranked teams; dicksinson trinity and bowman at the dickinson trinity gym when both teams ran out at the same time to a packed facility. it was so insanely loud that you couldnt hear the person right next to you. with that said, i would have to say dickinson trinity[/font]
Last edited by froggy on Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
froggy

Postby project-pat » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:39 pm

hazen's gym is insane, they have tons of seating in there and the scoreboard really tops it all off.
project-pat

Postby froggy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:10 pm

[font=georgia]haha ya that scoreboard is pretty donk[/font]
froggy

Postby Ted_Kloudt » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:41 pm

Hazelton's gym is by far the nicest one out. They have an NBA sized floor and an amazing amount of capacity including a balcony.
Ted_Kloudt
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cdub1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:55 pm

i love minots gym

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics