Who's next?

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby Photo-man-Bob » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:52 am

[user=1304]The Schwab[/user] wrote:
Ok....let's look at the reasons why Dufault is getting all of these looks from D1 schools.

1. Is it because he averages big numbers against ND competition? No it's not, because many players averaged huge high school numbers in ND and not gotten any D1 looks ex. Chris Reinhart.

2. Is it because his team made it to state and alot of coaches would have the oppertunity to look at him? No, Killdeer lost out in the region tournament.

3. Is it because he went down to major AAU and ECI tournaments and still but up pretty big numbers against great competition? Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner

So if there can be a lesson learned for all of the up and coming talent. I feel it is this. If you have the opportunity to play ECI or AAU ball in the big tournaments, DO IT! and if you play as well as you can, and go as hard as you can, Good things can and will happen. Look at the story of the tall, lanky kid from small town western ND who has had MAJOR D-1 coaches come to Killdeer, ND to watch pick-up games. All because of his performances at Summer Tournaments.

Congratulations Mr. Dufault,

Good Luck with your decision, I know you will make a great impact on whatever team is lucky enough to sign you

well said Schwab. Going down to Vegas and averaging double digits is probably what put him over the top as a legit prospect.
Photo-man-Bob

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:52 am

I agree with Schwab on this topic.  You cannot say that someone in Jr High or even Fresh and maybe Soph is going to be a DI player.  How many DI players has ND produced in the last 10 years?  Not a heck of a lot.  Just because some kid dominates when he is younger doesn't mean squat towards if he will play DI or not.  One thing that almost all DI players from ND have done is play AAU ball in the summer.  That is where they get seen and noticed by major colleges.  But at the same time, just because someone plays AAU ball doesn't mean they are going to end up at a DI school either.  Maybe now that ND and SD have some more DI programs (UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU) the chances of someone going DI is a lot better now than even 10 years ago......granted it would be at a midmajor level, but still counts nonetheless.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Ticket » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Even when you do play in summer tournaments AAU alot of things have to happen even for a coach to look at you. As far as Dufault getting all these looks is because his team played great in Vegas, and Austin played like he normally does wich is really good. I think it would be a different story if Austin's team would have lost out early, AZ state wouldn't know who he is. Even though he is a great player that is definantly capable of playing there. All of this happend for him in that one game, everyone is tryin to get on that main court cause thats where you get the looks and all it takes is one game with the right people watching. It all happend for him the last game of the summer.
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Big Ticket wrote:Even when you do play in summer tournaments AAU alot of things have to happen even for a coach to look at you. As far as Dufault getting all these looks is because his team played great in Vegas, and Austin played like he normally does wich is really good. I think it would be a different story if Austin's team would have lost out early, AZ state wouldn't know who he is. Even though he is a great player that is definantly capable of playing there. All of this happend for him in that one game, everyone is tryin to get on that main court cause thats where you get the looks and all it takes is one game with the right people watching. It all happend for him the last game of the summer.

in the article didnt it say the coaches noticed him early when he made 8 straight 3s on 8 straight possessions???  i could be wrong but i thought thats what it said
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Ticket » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:31 pm

No, I played in that game and no coaches were there that i knew of, it was in Whap like at 10 at night. It was crazy ive never seen anyone in a zone like that before. Thats probably when NDSU started to notice him and look at him but I'm pretty sure what he did in that last game was what did it for him.
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby da_man 23 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:37 am

I think that everything that has been said about him is correct, him being 6 8 and being able to do all the things he can is probably the biggest tho. Hes got a rare talent and him being in that championship game was also huge. Last year, I think Tate Kick went to Vegas and had a 40+ game which was in the top ten for the whole tourney and also avg. 20+ which i think was good for 3 rd team all tourney, but his team didn't do as well as Dufault's did and like Big Ticket said, all the big D-1 coaches were at that championship game, and I'm sure some of them had heard of him before, but he performed great, when it counted!
da_man 23

Postby whateverittakes » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:28 pm

cdub1 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Dufault is the only player from ND right now that has a real shot at playing major D1 ball....PERIOD

space space Allard still can.  May is a possibility.  Hanstad is very likely.  I'm not even really into it and I could name more.  There are many kids right now who are in junior high or that have just started high school that could go D-1.
well then i would like to nominate EVERY 7,8 and 9th grader in the state......because anyone can go D1 if they work all the time....get stronger, faster, and better.....

I am talking about the studs out there.  Hanstad and Crosby are obvious choices, then if you dig a little bit you will get to players like Thunshelle and Collins who are in my opinion very legitimate candidates, I also do realize that many things can happen between now and when they are ready to sign to a college.

Thunshelle isnt even that good so dont go saying he could go d-1 cause he's not that special most likely if he goes to college itll be d-2
whateverittakes
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:40 am

whateverittakes wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Dufault is the only player from ND right now that has a real shot at playing major D1 ball....PERIOD

space space Allard still can.  May is a possibility.  Hanstad is very likely.  I'm not even really into it and I could name more.  There are many kids right now who are in junior high or that have just started high school that could go D-1.
well then i would like to nominate EVERY 7,8 and 9th grader in the state......because anyone can go D1 if they work all the time....get stronger, faster, and better.....

I am talking about the studs out there.  Hanstad and Crosby are obvious choices, then if you dig a little bit you will get to players like Thunshelle and Collins who are in my opinion very legitimate candidates, I also do realize that many things can happen between now and when they are ready to sign to a college.

Thunshelle isnt even that good so dont go saying he could go d-1 cause he's not that special most likely if he goes to college itll be d-2

are you/were you better than thunshelle at the same age? if you aren't/weren't then you shouldn't be passing judgement on his ability.  did you go d-1 or closely know someone who did go d-1?  if you didn't or don't know anyone who did you don't know what it takes to go d-1

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Who's next?

Postby ndsbest44 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:57 am

I hear a lot about the hanstad kid, whats his game like?
ndsbest44
NDPreps Starter

Re: Who's next?

Postby balla45 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:45 pm

He is a point guard in the purest form. He is a great shooter, with a great crossover. After he gets you off balance, he can pull up, draw the foul, or attack the rim, where he will almost always get his desired results. If you send help, he can kick it out incredibly fast and accurate to a good shooter. He is very long and athletic on the defensive end, where he can deflect a lot of passes and block some shots. Very solid and clutch at the free throw line. I would say his best attribute would be his ability to simply take over a game when he needs to.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics