Old Hoopsters

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Old Hoopsters

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 pm

I was flipping through some old hoopsters today and it's crazy how much the co-ops and school closings have changed the face of Class B basketball in just 20 years.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Re: Old Hoopsters

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:43 am

Yes it has and i think there's going to be alot of changes in certain regions of the state yet and distances between teams is only going to get wider. I am from NE Nd and in next 5 years if things continue as they are there will be number of teams missing up in this area. Already several of the schools are talking coops because of lack of numbers and not being able to compete. I also think some schools may coop with others but the amount of participation will be low from some of these smaller schools where there will be very little interest in some sports. In boys and girls basketball there have been several years when there hasn't been a team from Grand forks to almost Minot and there north to Canadian line back to minnesota quite area not having team participating in state tournament. Last couple years Grafton and Northstar have represented boys and Lakota AE for the girls last year. I hope we get some of the growth that rest of state
is getting because it sure would be nice if we could maintain schools we have and have some growth where there won't need so manny coops.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 am

I thought the NE part of the state would be pretty stable in teams. If you look at district 4 you have Cavalier, Grafton, Drayton-Valley-Edinburg, Midway-Minto, Park River-FL, and North Border. These are all pretty decent size enrollments for schools and co-ops if you compare them to other areas of the state (especially central ND where I'm from). If they are struggling that bad for participation numbers there are problems.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 am

Drayton valley edinburg numbers are okay now but a friend of from Valley-Edinburg area said last several
classes starting were from 5 to 10 range. The schools i was more thinking about are district 8 Munich-Starkeweather numbers are getting really low, Rollette-wolford and Rolla looked at cooping basketball last year. Lakota AE and Dp did coop about football and were discussion on some of the other sports as well.
Also have heard for awhile that Northborder and Cavalier have talked about cooping more sports but i think that one may take awhile. Also Langdon has struggled with basketball when they have junior gold in
hockey for girls and boys. Hockey seems to be winning battle for the numbers and talent there now. I don't know much about midway-minto but not to long ago each had there own programs and now they are coop in everything. The number of school competing are going to change with these talks going on already.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14 am

I was wondering if you were thinking a little more west. I agree with the Region 4 teams you mentioned. Don't know how much longer RW can hold on before going to Rolla. Same with Munich Starkweather, but they always seem to have decent numbers. Down the road I can see Munich going to Langdon and don't know where Starkweather would go. Will be interesting to see what happens with Edmore (school and co-op) now that Adams is out.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 pm

try going back 30 years....its even scarier....
this is why I say co-ops are not the answer anymore, and consolidating the school district's themselves makes way more sense for thew future and whats to come.

there are only 2 places in ND that are actually increasing in population....western oil country, (and I would be curious to see if there are actually many school student age kids coming in with this influx).....and Fargo where there are more kids in first grade at just one elementary, than there are in 4 of our k-12 schools on the prairie or in the valley
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:40 am

The merging of schools are about to the end of where its feasible to merge many more of these schools. I can tell you don't live in these rural area's and don't have children that are going to school. Size of some of these school districts are huge right now. Ifthe Munich school district would close that would put nearly everything in Langdon School district which would mean that one way trip for a student coming into langdon would between 40 to 50 miles. So kids would have over an hour on bus before and after school. The langdon district would from one corner to other would be over 65 miles as crow flies and by roads would even be farther. I could lead through more scenarios of this to Say dakota Praire, Lakota, and Edmore now you are talking school district of at least 1500 square miles. No I think day of the consoldidation because of distance is about reached the
maximum. I do think the small schools are going to use more Ivt classrooms where children will still be going to smaller schools but having class with children maybe all over the area. This brings us to sports the cooping is going to continue but even that is reaching the limits of distance. The state is growing if oil boom continues and i think were going to see growth all over the state eventually and my hopes are were going to stabilize. The path were on now will mean that organized sports will only be for the few that live in larger towns and for the kids that parents are willing to provide traveling costs and time for the kids to participate. I had relatives that lived in Montanna and for the kids that wanted to participate in things they moved into town during winter splitting up the families. I don't think thats going to fly around here. I also wanted to add i think on another thread you said schools should be murged in schools of 6oo in highschool do know how many schools that would take up here. District 8 school enrollments now are about this Langdon 160; Munich 35; Rolla 80; Rollete about 45; NorthStar 85; St John about 90; Benson county about 120 when you add all these up you come up with around 600 kids. Now tell me how you going to pul all these kids into one school or even couple of schools and make it work. This is the problem were facing here in rural ND and anything that will help keep schools having as many options for the kids to particpate in and be able to compete i am for.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am

You build the school in the middle....and yes I am from Rural ND, and have done my part in helping fill the class rooms.....and it wouldn't have to be 600 but yet 400 to 500 would be a great atmosphere, and would give opportunity to many kids in different extracurricular ... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics