Nd Players at USA Hockey NTDP This Month

Teams of the East

Nd Players at USA Hockey NTDP This Month

Postby Sportshound » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Congrats to the young men---(D) K.Thompson(Devils Lake, HS/Fargo Force) & (F) A.Schoenborn(Minot,HS/Fargo Force) for making the Invite list to this great tryout camp.
Only bigger things can come from this for them. What does everyone think?
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Nd Players at USA Hockey NTDP This Month

Postby Clark17 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Probably a camp that shows most kids they are a "dime a dozen". However it is a NTDP event. If you are there most likey you are above the "dime a dozen" catagory. I truely wish both kids success there. I still believe this however. If you are really that good they will find you. I hope kids in ND (higher caliber players) realize what they may give up to chase their dreams. We saw a very good example of this this past season in Bismarck. A hand full of players back home watching their old teams play in the WDA and State because they weren't playing. What was the gain? Sure, if these players actually move on to the next level it will be worth it but the odds are not that great. Like I said earlier if they are truely that good they will be found, even in ND.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportshound » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Clark17---Agree with you.
But to extend yourself out----somtimes in the only way to get seen. IE: Blair(NAHL), Kusler(NAHL--but was dropped later in season--sitting home watching his old teammates play HS hockey)--
I totally agree IF you are good enough, you will be found.
But I also believe that IF you do not get out there(away from the Western side or even--eastern side)--you will have a harder time % wise of achieving your dream. Partly with the ND behind your hometown.
If it is a MN behind that town name, you will have a better Opp. That is imho....
Can't hold kids back from dreams. because that would be telling them they are not good enough.
Nobody believes for a minute that Irman, and the Pultouny brothers would have gotten where they are--without leaving. Or at least I do not ever hear that. They had to leave the State to get their opps.
That is just seeing it for what it is.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby oly2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Is A.Schoenborn really playing for the Fargo Force? or why do you have that behind his name. Because im pretty sure he is not there.
oly2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Grinder » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:19 am

oly2 wrote:Is A.Schoenborn really playing for the Fargo Force? or why do you have that behind his name. Because im pretty sure he is not there.

He is not on their roster so I would have to say no. I thought maybe he was a draft pick but I could not find anything on that either.

Does anyone know how these 2 did at the tryout camp? I have heard rumors that they both made the team but I don't think it is from a reliable source. I didn't think that this team got picked right away. I would think that a program like this would be doing a ton of evaluating players and would take quite a bit of time selecting it.
Grinder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Rumor is that Minot Product(alex S.) did not get an offer.
Have not heard anything about Thompson kid. Although he is back at the Force.
Not sure if either got offered.
the U17 team did have 7 offers ouot--prior to the Camp. that was public Knowledge.
A Kid from Apple Valley (Fascsing is quoted as accepting the offer...I guess he was offered last yr. As the only 1995 born player to be asked)... He played for apple Valley in the GF Hs tourney before Christmas.
they took it to GF central in the Championship.
hope the best for the ND Guys! If they get asked--I would Tell any kid to JUMP on that. Almost 95% of all kids that play at USA NTDP are playing DIV 1 and or get drafted when they are 18!!!! GO for it boys!
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Grinder » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:03 pm

I agree with you a 100%, if any kid gets a shot at doing this they should go for it, same with if they have a chance to play in the USHL. I'm not sold on leaving early for the NAHL though, although that league is starting to put more kids on div. 1 hockey teams. I really think if the NAHL wants you as a Jr. or Sr. they will still want you after you graduate.

Does anyone know if anyone other than Fylling from ND has ever played for any of the NTDP teams under 17/18 etc...?
Grinder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Ok-- Here is the Info:
A. Schoenborn(F) of Minot--was practicing with the Force. Prior to their end of season.
After he attended the Camp at Ann Arbor.
He was recently picked by Lincoln in 1st round of Futures draft (USHL)
He was Not offered a spot at Ann Arbor.

Thompson (D) from Devils Lake--Offered a spot and is going to Ann Arbor for the 2 yr. deal.
Another kid that is close to ND----A Def.: aasmus of East Grand Forks--offered also and is going.

that is out there on the web. And most already knoew these things. but wanted to set the record.

I have heard that there are about 3-4 other kids that will not play HS hockey next yr in ND(that either were youth players in 10-11 or HS in 10-11)..
I guess it is maybe that they may not leave ND(IE: Bismarck and or the NEW Minto-NAHL or Force)--but still be in State just not in HS hockey.

My best guess is that some will leave for AAA teams also....Because the NAHL vs USHL is much tougher on the young kids...USHL caters to the 16-17 yr old.... NAHL caters to the 19-20's..
Good luck to all that leave and spread their wings---represent ND proud and Loud!
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Gr8HockeyMind » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:48 am

If all the top end players from across the state start jumping ship for the NA, USHL or AAA, how horrible is the product left behind going to be to watch?
Gr8HockeyMind
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Leprekan317 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:07 am

I agree that if a player is good enough he will at least get an oppurtunity to play no matter where he is from. As for kids leaving early, it has to be a case by case thing, the 18U oppurtunity is something no player should pass on, but leaving early for the NAHL doesn't always seem to work out. One good example is that Scmitt from Minot, he hasn't really seemed to shine as much in Bismarck as one would hope, compare that to Nelson from Williston who stayed his SR year, still played in the NAHL, and now was the Force's 1st round pick in the recent USHL entry draft. It can happen both ways as long as the player is committed to constantly improving their game. On the otherhand Lamoreaux left early to play for Bismarck too and that seems to be working out, so again, I guess it would really depend on the player.
Leprekan317
NDPreps Reserve

Postby LarryHoover » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:03 am

What does everybody see in Schoenborn? ive played with him and Thompson and Keaton is twice the player Schoenborn is. Sure he is very good. but is he really USHL good? he put up good numbers last season.. but he plays in the West, which isnt saying much.
LarryHoover
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clark17 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:39 am

Sportshound wrote:Congrats to the young men---(D) K.Thompson(Devils Lake, HS/Fargo Force) & (F) A.Schoenborn(Minot,HS/Fargo Force) for making the Invite list to this great tryout camp.
Only bigger things can come from this for them. What does everyone think?

Ya, guess you're right. Schoenborn signed with the Portland Winterhawks. Thompson with the Sioux. It will be cool to follow these guys. I find Schoenborn's choice a little surprising, thought for sure he would commit to a WCHA school or whatever the new league will be called school. NCHA???? Hope them both the best.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Return to EDC