EDC Tournament

Teams of the East

Who will earn a place in the state tournament? (Select 4)

Fargo South
24%
Grand Forks Central
28%
Grafton/ Park River
17%
Grand Forks Red River
19%
Fargo Shanley
No votes
West Fargo
7%
Fargo North
4%
Devils Lake
2%

Total votes : 54

EDC Tournament

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Who will come away with 1st? Also, who will go on to State?
Last edited by fargohockey1093 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Re: EDC Tournament

Postby old#63 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:49 pm

Unless some opponent's goalie has the night of his career, Central should walk through the EDC and State as well.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hockey10 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Top 3 in the east will represent the the east well at state. GFC RR and South will compete
Hockey10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargohockey1093 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 pm

I think that South and GFC will be the biggest eastern contenders
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:27 pm

GF Central 13
Shanley 0
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:38 pm

old#63 wrote:Unless some opponent's goalie has the night of his career, Central should walk through the EDC and State as well.

Central has holes, as South and Grafton. Far too confident here.
I see all 4 teams in the EDC capable of an upset this year. I also see WDA teams having a shot at pulling off something extraordinary as well. But in reality, it is up to Central as to whether they're going to get fired up enough to pull this off. Red River and South of the last two years were much farther from the pack than Central is this year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:57 pm

Game #2

Grafton/PR 4
West Fargo 3
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:16 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
old#63 wrote:Unless some opponent's goalie has the night of his career, Central should walk through the EDC and State as well.

I see all 4 teams in the EDC capable of an upset this year. I also see WDA teams having a shot at pulling off something extraordinary as well. But in reality, it is up to Central as to whether they're going to get fired up enough to pull this off. Red River and South of the last two years were much farther from the pack than Central is this year.

I know what you're saying, but I just think that with their attacking power, Central is going to put a lot of shots on net no matter who the opponent is. It's going to take a great performance by a goalie to hold them to a point total that anybody can outscore. Nobody has gotten very many shot on goal against Central all year.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:48 pm

old#63 wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:

I know what you're saying, but I just think that with their attacking power, Central is going to put a lot of shots on net no matter who the opponent is. It's going to take a great performance by a goalie to hold them to a point total that anybody can outscore. Nobody has gotten very many shot on goal against Central all year.

I still disagree with Central walking through state for sure. They are beatable and it has been proven
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby old#63 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:07 am

fargohockey1093 wrote:
old#63 wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:

I still disagree with Central walking through state for sure. They are beatable and it has been proven

I'm not saying they aren't beatable, but to beat them it's going to take an outstanding goalie performance. Central is capable of outshooting everbody in the state. Even in the two games they lost they outshot South 32-24 and Grafton/PR 50-17. To beat them, you need a great night from your goalie.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:48 am

The funny thing about that is that South always relies on their goalie this year. Buchholz is no pushover. They routinely get outshot by opponents, and that's what it takes to get a goalie hot. Lots of a shots. The more shots Central gets on South may actually be less beneficial to them, RR did the same thing with Meland last year. A lot of low quality opportunities (Central is not the best offensive team, hate to break it to you, they're better defensively for sure) can just get a goalie in the zone.

As for other teams like GPR, WF, North, RR, they've also routinely gotten outshot in their games, or been very even shot-wise in their games for the most part. They do rely on their goalies playing well, as does any team. I think the biggest questions as to how well Central does is 1) How well THEIR goalie plays and 2) How well they capitalize
These apply to all teams.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:00 am

I've only seen Central twice this year, so I can't speak against your comment that offensively they aren't the best team. From seeing them the little that I did, I thought collectively they looked pretty darn good. I think there definitely are some stronger lines from other teams, but Central's total package looked better. Their defense is outstanding, so Lang doesn't have to stop a lot of shots. And sometimes that can be a bad thing. Goalies do get in a zone, and if they don't see a lot of shots, sometimes it's harder to react to the quick shots they do. But even with that, I think it's going to be hard for somebody to put up many points against Central. So that means to beat them, your goalie better not give up more than one or two. If Central scores 3 points or more, they win.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:44 pm

old#63 wrote:I've only seen Central twice this year, so I can't speak against your comment that offensively they aren't the best team. From seeing them the little that I did, I thought collectively they looked pretty darn good. I think there definitely are some stronger lines from other teams, but Central's total package looked better. Their defense is outstanding, so Lang doesn't have to stop a lot of shots. And sometimes that can be a bad thing. Goalies do get in a zone, and if they don't see a lot of shots, sometimes it's harder to react to the quick shots they do. But even with that, I think it's going to be hard for somebody to put up many points against Central. So that means to beat them, your goalie better not give up more than one or two. If Central scores 3 points or more, they win.

Sorry, maybe I made that come out wrong or appear wrong. I do think that Central has the best Offense and Defense in the state, but it's not going to take an outstanding performance to topple them. They aren't THAT far from the pack this year like teams have been in years past, and they've still lost games to mediocre teams. South just put up four goals against Central so I really think they're gonna have to come to play to ever game if they want to win. If they come to play, they got this all in the bag. If they don't, this'll be a far more interesting two weeks.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:25 am

South and Central in the finals tomorrow!! South takes down RR tonight 3-2 in OT. Orson two goals and Hooey one goal. Very tight game and it was a back and forth battle. can't wait for tomorrow
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby october23sp » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:30 am

FSHBruins10 wrote:South and Central in the finals tomorrow!! South takes down RR tonight 3-2 in OT. Orson two goals and Hooey one goal. Very tight game and it was a back and forth battle. can't wait for tomorrow

With South in the EDC finals it looks like the number 3 team from the west might make it to the semis. Central, Red River, #1 from the West, #3 from the west will be the semi-final teams at state.

Serious question about Fargo South: What's up with their uniforms?
october23sp
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 am

october23sp wrote:
FSHBruins10 wrote:South and Central in the finals tomorrow!! South takes down RR tonight 3-2 in OT. Orson two goals and Hooey one goal. Very tight game and it was a back and forth battle. can't wait for tomorrow

With South in the EDC finals it looks like the number 3 team from the west might make it to the semis. Central, Red River, #1 from the West, #3 from the west will be the semi-final teams at state.

they had to get new ones because of the spoked "B" like how the Boston Bruins have it. There was a reason that they couldn't use that type of logo anymore and that is the jersey they got instead.

and why does south going to the finals mean that the #1 and #3 team will be in the semis?
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby october23sp » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:44 am

FSHBruins10 wrote:
october23sp wrote:

they had to get new ones because of the spoked "B" like how the Boston Bruins have it. There was a reason that they couldn't use that type of logo anymore and that is the jersey they got instead.

and why does south going to the finals mean that the #1 and #3 team will be in the semis?

Their road jerseys look blue and yellow. When South came to Bismarck they got absolutely stomped by BHS and CHS is my reasoning.
october23sp
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:45 am

october23sp wrote:
FSHBruins10 wrote:
october23sp wrote:

Their road jerseys look blue and yellow. When South came to Bismarck they got absolutely stomped by BHS and CHS is my reasoning.

the thing about the bruins is that they dont really want to or care to play the west teams like BHS or CHS. the match up at state will be so much different than in the regular season when it didnt affect south at all.
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby october23sp » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:51 am

FSHBruins10 wrote:
october23sp wrote:
FSHBruins10 wrote:
october23sp wrote:

the thing about the bruins is that they dont really want to or care to play the west teams like BHS or CHS. the match up at state will be so much different than in the regular season when it didnt affect south at all.

I see the not caring because it didn't count anyways but still, they got rolled.
october23sp
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:26 am

My honest opinion is that south is a far better hockey team than the two bismarks, however if they don't show up to play they arent talented enough to just win. I watched the South vs. Red River game today, South got worked the first period and a couple of questionable called off goals. South did come out to play after this and definitely was the better team in the 2nd and 3rd.

Has anyone else noticed the questionable reffing that is taking place in this tournament? I have watched a couple games already that seem to have some one sided calling. Its ok not to call much but to call something one way but not the other is unacceptable.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby king1869 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:36 pm

now we dont have to worry about all the RR players getting on this thing cuz they lost and have nothing to say about that one. nice stuff yellow hair guys. have fun watching from your home guys
king1869
NDPreps Reserve

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:59 pm

king1869 wrote:now we dont have to worry about all the RR players getting on this thing cuz they lost and have nothing to say about that one. nice stuff yellow hair guys. have fun watching from your home guys

hahaha wow let me tell you what, the fargo south student section was SO HAPPY that red river lost to west fargo!! :D :D
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hockey10 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:10 am

was the south student section also SOOOO HAPPY that they lost to Central 5 to 1?
Hockey10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ih8gophers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Hockey10 wrote:was the south student section also SOOOO HAPPY that they lost to Central 5 to 1?

Now that's funny.

I don't think Fargo South will lose to the #3 seed Williston though. If they were facing one of the Bismarck schools I would say yes but Williston has 1 line and 1 good defenceman. Not much at all after that.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 pm

from the numbers central posted this weekend, I dont know if they have a shot in heck of losing. If they play this hockey next weekend i believe they will cruise through state just fine
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to EDC