South Overrated??? I THINK SO!!

Teams of the East

South Overrated??? I THINK SO!!

Postby Goalie3939 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:31 pm

South tied Devils Lake and gave up two goals to whap and played a very close game with north, north just had a few breakdowns in the d zone. SOUTH is OVERRATED PERIOD.
Goalie3939
NDPreps Rookie

Re: South Overrated??? I THINK SO!!

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 am

i was at the south north game. south has nothing this year, one good line, in which they play very dirty. second line is two sophmores and a freshman, who also have nothing. and their d is minimal to none in the bottom of the state. south is way down, and yes, very overrated.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby penguinshockey15 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:21 pm

hockeyboss wrote:south has nothing this year.

I could not agree more.
penguinshockey15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Answer me this? if South has nothing... then who does?! North Dakota hockey must be bad all around because South is undefeated with one tie. Is any team in the state good?? Why is it that ND hockey isnt getting any better?? I can look back at the 80s and 90s and in my opinion it was better quality back then. Is GF Central the only good team?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 pm

bruins44 wrote:Answer me this? if South has nothing... then who does?! North Dakota hockey must be bad all around because South is undefeated with one tie. Is any team in the state good?? Why is it that ND hockey isnt getting any better?? I can look back at the 80s and 90s and in my opinion it was better quality back then. Is GF Central the only good team?

South has 5 good players. Stellrecht, Orson, Sorenson, Hooey and Buchholz. Other than that, they go extremely downhill. They lack size, speed, confidence and experience that they had last year. North Dakota hockey is down, and it's not hard to understand that. It never really was exactly 'up' as one or two teams would dominate the entire year and focus would just be on them. Nationally, I would put the early-mid 00's as the most competitive nationally, maybe even the top ranked teams the past few years. This year though, I don't see any team but Central even being worthy of a top 100 place nationally. But we'll see. They don't play Blaine or BJ this year... South doesn't even play WBL, not that they would want to.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Damus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:42 pm

bruins44,

To answer your question, this is how this site works. People come on here and say "It's not as good as it once was..." Blah, blah, blah...and claim teams are "overrated." Well, who's doing the rating? South, as someone mentioned, is unbeaten. Granted, they haven't played EVERYONE yet, so it's all speculation, bu they are formidable. You then say "80s and 90s was better competition." As someone who played in the 90's, I can tell you that hockey in North Dakota has improved TEN FOLD. Players are more skilled, bigger, faster, stronger, and there's much more attention to goaltending skill then "back in the day."

For some reason, this chat board, (as most chat boards on the internet are), is pretty negative. I only come on here, for a good laugh every now and then, and to see who is playing who.
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Damus wrote:bruins44,

To answer your question, this is how this site works. People come on here and say "It's not as good as it once was..." Blah, blah, blah...and claim teams are "overrated." Well, who's doing the rating? South, as someone mentioned, is unbeaten. Granted, they haven't played EVERYONE yet, so it's all speculation, bu they are formidable. You then say "80s and 90s was better competition." As someone who played in the 90's, I can tell you that hockey in North Dakota has improved TEN FOLD. Players are more skilled, bigger, faster, stronger, and there's much more attention to goaltending skill then "back in the day."

For some reason, this chat board, (as most chat boards on the internet are), is pretty negative. I only come on here, for a good laugh every now and then, and to see who is playing who.

I like you.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby undsoccer24 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:19 pm

they are trying there best
undsoccer24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby penguinshockey15 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 pm

undsoccer24 wrote:they are trying there best

Haha no one is saying that they aren't trying their best or hardest. :lol:
penguinshockey15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:03 am

penguinshockey15 wrote:

It's not the kids' fault. They simply aren't as talented as they were last year. Unfortunately, they don't have the coaching staff of say RR/GFC/GPR to pick up the pieces (in fact, South's coaching staff is very unimpressive). They'll have to rely on that first line and Buchholz to step up and make it to state, and pull off the RR miracle of last year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby PeopleRTalkin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:32 am

Goalie3939 wrote:South tied Devils Lake and gave up two goals to whap and played a very close game with north, north just had a few breakdowns in the d zone. SOUTH is OVERRATED PERIOD.

So what u saying about dl and north? that they are terrible? the way those two have been playing this yr, by the way dl beat north this afternoon, i think they are both solid teams this yr in the EDC and compete with anyone which they have shown so far.
PeopleRTalkin
NDPreps Reserve

Postby P4KNBD » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:38 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Damus wrote:bruins44,

I like you.

thats a little weird..
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:43 pm

bruins44 wrote:Answer me this? if South has nothing... then who does?! North Dakota hockey must be bad all around because South is undefeated with one tie. Is any team in the state good?? Why is it that ND hockey isnt getting any better?? I can look back at the 80s and 90s and in my opinion it was better quality back then. Is GF Central the only good team?

easy briuns. obviously you are heavily favoring south considering your name..but yes south has not lost yet. but neither has central or red river to a north dakota team. they have both lost to a very good apple valley team in this years stadstad tournament. red river won against an always talented roseau team and after centrals loss they dominated a grafton team. south hasnt nearly played the competition that rr or gfc has played. gfc hasnt had a huge win against a good team yet but gfc is a talented team. and rr like i said, beat a very good roseau team and i believe if south played either roseau or apply valley they would have lost. south is undefeated but they havent been so impressive to where you have to freak out when someone says they are overrated.
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:23 pm

South is pretty much collapsing right now in their Holiday tournament against not very special competition.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby tj_4 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:10 am

HockeyHigh wrote:South is pretty much collapsing right now in their Holiday tournament against not very special competition.

That's what happens when their coach splits up the lines right before they leave. Spliting up orson sorenson and stellrecht. Also they put in their back up goalie. Sorry this is sounding like an excuse... but it was pretty stupid of the coach to do that
tj_4
NDPreps Rookie

Postby JGFan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Watched Red River vs South last night. Wow was South bad. Very undisciplined with numerous ridiculous penalties, very poor passing, and only fantastic goal tending kept this from being a blowout. Whatever lines were used was not working. Looks like about any team could beat South this year if they keep playing like that.
Red River was not exactly disciplined either. Penalties mostly dumb. Better than South tho.
If these are the "top of ND" talent, wow has ND hockey dropped in quality.
Simply not worth the attendance fee....
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsman101 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 pm

hooey isnt even playing.....
sportsman101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyboss » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

the team name is bruins, not hooey's. idc who there missing. they looked very unexperienced and could not keep up. shots were 2:1 or 3:1. if not for bucholtz it would have been a 8-1 or 9-1 game. whether hooeys playing or not, its the team struggling.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby L00PS » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:37 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
penguinshockey15 wrote:

It's not the kids' fault. They simply aren't as talented as they were last year. Unfortunately, they don't have the coaching staff of say RR/GFC/GPR to pick up the pieces (in fact, South's coaching staff is very unimpressive). They'll have to rely on that first line and Buchholz to step up and make it to state, and pull off the RR miracle of last year.

south's coaching staff is quite bad over the last how many years? Pretty much forever. Correct me if i'm wrong, but South has won 2 state championships with Dean Wilson in how many years? I dont even remember the last time they won before 98'. Its been a long time with very few championships. South has had LOTS of tallent over the years, they just can never seem to pull off the big wins at state. South has had the same coaches for quite some years now including the back up coach Brian Davidson (who also coached with Dean Wilson). They need to branch out and try new things with new people. The "old blood" isn't working anymore. Teams are starting to figure out what to change to defeat South. South will keep struggling for years to come due to the new high school being built and lack of tallent in younger kids. Its sad to say this but something needs to change in that program if they want to be successful. I've heard many complaints about South's current coaches not being fair and playing "mind games" with the kids. To win, you can't be doing that. Everyone must work as a team and build confidence. Mind games screw young high school players up and lose self esteem and confidence therefore making them more vulnerable towards making mistakes. Making the team suffer. I've heard too many stories about south and now i understand why people dont like south.
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:33 am

To correct the previous post, South did not win in 1998. They did win in 1994, 1999, and 2006 though. I am guessing, without having a tournament program to verify, that puts them only behind GFC and GFRR as most titles won in the last 15-16 years. I am also guessing that is 3 more titles than you have won as a high school hockey coach, so for you to sit behind a screen name and tell us how bad Fargo South's coaching staff is and has been is quite intelligent.

You've heard comments about coaches being "unfair". Life is unfair, Welcome to life. Not everyone is entitled to everything. You've heard stories about the coaches playing mind games. Who has told you these stories? Comments and stories, comments and stories, that seems to be all you have, along with incorrect facts about when a team won state. I saw in the newspaper that South beat Moorhead, MN tonight 4-2. So I suppose tonight it was all the players, and not any coaching. Just as when South loses, it is all coaching, and not any responsibility on playing.

To talk about horrible coaching, I read about a guy who had a career NHL record of 219 wins, 222 losses, 66 ties, never made it past the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs, and was fired. That is horrible! Man, that Herb Brooks sure was a horrible coach!
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JGFan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 am

Well I see South took Moorhead 4-2. That surprised me.
Maybe I watched them on a BAD night...
I had planned to not waste time watching them again, but might have to reconsider.
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyboss » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:33 am

moorhead didnt play their game.. everyone knows their a far better team.. bottom line.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sioux789 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:03 am

I just love listening to the Moorhead people squirm and say "oh we didn't play well". You can't buy entertainment better than watching parents of Moorhead players whose team is losing. They come up with every excuse in the world. What a load of crap. I was at the game and South didn't play well either. I suppose it wouldn't have anything to do with the team they were playing though? The Flyers consistently beat the Moorhead teams every year at all levels. Why wouldn't they beat them in high school?
sioux789
NDPreps Reserve

Postby FSHBruins10 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm

sioux789 wrote:I just love listening to the Moorhead people squirm and say "oh we didn't play well". You can't buy entertainment better than watching parents of Moorhead players whose team is losing. They come up with every excuse in the world. What a load of crap. I was at the game and South didn't play well either. I suppose it wouldn't have anything to do with the team they were playing though? The Flyers consistently beat the Moorhead teams every year at all levels. Why wouldn't they beat them in high school?

it was the greatest thing to see that night watching south beat them. they are a pretty big rival of ours even if south has only won 3 times in 20 years. it was even better when we were walking into the arena and moorhead parents/fans were yelling at how much south is bad and how its going to be a blow out...yeah, that game will shut them up.
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby Clark17 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:10 pm

FSHBruins10 wrote:
sioux789 wrote:I just love listening to the Moorhead people squirm and say "oh we didn't play well". You can't buy entertainment better than watching parents of Moorhead players whose team is losing. They come up with every excuse in the world. What a load of crap. I was at the game and South didn't play well either. I suppose it wouldn't have anything to do with the team they were playing though? The Flyers consistently beat the Moorhead teams every year at all levels. Why wouldn't they beat them in high school?

it was the greatest thing to see that night watching south beat them. they are a pretty big rival of ours even if south has only won 3 times in 20 years. it was even better when we were walking into the arena and moorhead parents/fans were yelling at how much south is bad and how its going to be a blow out...yeah, that game will shut them up.

Not to mention it was a ND team beating a Minn. team. Good for South.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to EDC