Accurate predictions?

Teams of the East

Re: Accurate predictions?

Postby GoSioux13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:07 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
GoSioux13 wrote:I'm confused at what you were trying to prove here. Was I trying to cut down to 2-3 teams and talk about who has a shot at the championship? or were you just going off my "realist" statement? and yes, grafton has always had great coaching. im just a little lost.

Yes in that case I was going off the realist statement. I was trying to point out that most of the time there really is only 2-3 competitive teams in this state and that we need to work on getting moreso so that our players have a higher chance of going on past high school, rather than being discarded simply because of where they are from even if they have equal or higher talent than a player from say, Minnesota or even Moorhead.
I was also trying to support Grafton, in the opinion that I don't see them struggling as badly as you think they will, but that's opinion.

Ok, i would agree with you. I wasnt trying to argue any facts like these. Thats why i was confused.
GoSioux13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby purple_drank » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:25 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
hockeyboss wrote:true about gpr still having their coach, but i just see them lacking the experience. last year they had a decent team, but couldnt find a way to go too far. i see them falling short this year, definantely below previous years. and wf, solid goalie, but if you get inside his head, i heard he looses it pretty easily.

In the state tournament, I thought GPR put up the biggest fight with Bismarck of any team. Bismarck crushed Central and Red River during the tournament (Though they also ran into the brick wall and couldn't score, also having discipline problems against the small RR team). I honestly can't decide if Bismarck or South was the best team, really wish they would have played again. If you think Grafton is lacking experience, you'd be right, but not to the extent you seem to think. They did player younger players, and they did get time during these games. Grafton will definitely be down, but they're not out. I don't think their coach is a genius, but he knows how to play the one style of play Grafton plays. (High forwards, swinging flyer breakout) It's particularly hard to control play against as it isolates the defensemen and with high school players as they are, forwards often cough up the puck and it's very easy to get the puck up to those high forwards.

I've yet to see Holland play a significant amount of times, but even playing with a pretty subpar team, I felt he handled facing teams like South, Central and Bismarck very well.

Remember Grafton barely even made it to the state tounament last year. The game to make state they played north, who struggled last year, and beat them in 2OTs
purple_drank
NDPreps Starter

Postby saltyapple29 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 pm

If im not mistaken Red River also had a pretty close game with a weak West Fargo team that Grafton handled early in the tournament. Regionals and state is a whole different ball game and anything can happen.
saltyapple29
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:15 am

purple_drank wrote:Remember Grafton barely even made it to the state tounament last year. The game to make state they played north, who struggled last year, and beat them in 2OTs

South destroyed Grafton. Grafton whooped North. Red River barely beat North.
Red River wins state.

Transitive property isn't very effective in sports. Neither RR or Grafton had pretty entrances to State, doesn't mean they struggled all year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby nettell02 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:47 pm

baseballprep wrote:I think DL will be higher then people think. They have a goalie returning he's now a junior. he started most the season with fredeg hurt. and they have a very strong junior class. with that being said i dont think they'll make the state tournament, but higher then 8? maybe 6?

I agree fully except I think they will have a better chance of making state this year because of there experence
nettell02
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyboss » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:07 am

they have no experience. i cant see them making state this year.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nettell02 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:24 pm

They only lost 5 seniors and most of there lines consisted of sophomores last year
nettell02
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:52 am

I'm going to predict a West Fargo vs. GF Central State Title game
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baseballislife4ever » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I'm going to predict a West Fargo vs. GF Central State Title game

Bismarck Century vs. GF Central
baseballislife4ever
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:26 am

central vs south. aside from central its a throw up, i dont see south or anyone else really having outstanding talent to knock anyone out of the race. :o south opens the season tonight though, also, wf beat north and other teams. but i was at the north wf game, and it was a close game till the last 5 mins. not impressed by wf
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gfhockey » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Heres a interesting fact I didn't know.

A grand forks team has been in the state title game every year since the west won it in 1992. What a streak.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:44 pm

gfhockey wrote:Heres a interesting fact I didn't know.

A grand forks team has been in the state title game every year since the west won it in 1992. What a streak.

Thank you, we know.
They also have something like 85% of the state championships. The problem is, they're playing in a state with little to know competition year in and year out. Either North Dakota needs to start putting out a lot more talent or facts like these will continue to plague our State from national recognition for hockey.

But Central should win state this year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Clark17 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:04 am

Ya and if the border would have been the 47th parallel we would have had hockey in every small town across North Dakota, thus a much better product, especially from the west in general. It really wouldn't have mattered though cause we would all be Canadian and we would be talking about AAA midgets on this forum. Do you guys find that somewhat amazing? Why did we get stuck with basketball?
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeyboss » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:33 am

you cant really say the states plagued by grand forks teams being the only talent. was it last year south, tied moorhead 2-2, who later went on to take second in the state of minnesota? north dakota hockey isnt as low as people think it is, its just the low numbers as to a larger state like minnesota, causing us to put out only a few good teams a year.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby P4KNBD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:09 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
hockeyboss wrote:true about gpr still having their coach, but i just see them lacking the experience. last year they had a decent team, but couldnt find a way to go too far. i see them falling short this year, definantely below previous years. and wf, solid goalie, but if you get inside his head, i heard he looses it pretty easily.

In the state tournament, I thought GPR put up the biggest fight with Bismarck of any team. Bismarck crushed Central and Red River during the tournament (Though they also ran into the brick wall and couldn't score, also having discipline problems against the small RR team). I honestly can't decide if Bismarck or South was the best team, really wish they would have played again. If you think Grafton is lacking experience, you'd be right, but not to the extent you seem to think. They did player younger players, and they did get time during these games. Grafton will definitely be down, but they're not out. I don't think their coach is a genius, but he knows how to play the one style of play Grafton plays. (High forwards, swinging flyer breakout) It's particularly hard to control play against as it isolates the defensemen and with high school players as they are, forwards often cough up the puck and it's very easy to get the puck up to those high forwards.

I've yet to see Holland play a significant amount of times, but even playing with a pretty subpar team, I felt he handled facing teams like South, Central and Bismarck very well.

wow i have trouble thinking i am interpreting this right. you say that last year in the state tournament bismarck crushed red river? if you honestly believe that you have some problems
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Idk if i really believe in that arguement of this team A beat this team B by 2 and that team B beat this team C by 1 so team A is better then team c

you do have a point in the ND hockey isnt as low that peopel think it is. THe top 3 ND team coukd comptete wiht the top 20 MN teams but after the top 3 or 4, it falls off dramatically IMO
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby P4KNBD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I'm going to predict a West Fargo vs. GF Central State Title game

west fargo? really?
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Westisthebest wrote:Ok here is my prediction.....from the talent aspect and just my opinion

WEST

#1Bismarck High- Just more returning talent then other teams in the WDA..Strong goaltending.loss of Romanick hurts thoguh.
#2Williston-I just believe that Jordan Nelson will be enough to to take them to a state tournament alone.
#3Minot-Even without scmitt they will be tough.
#4Bismarck Century-Kusler will be tough to handle...the loss of Blair will be felt though.
#5Hazen
#6Jamestown
#7,8,9 who cares

EAST

#1Grand Forks Central -by far and away has the best team in the state no one will even contest them.there is way to much there for the state to handle. It may be bold but I dont see them loosing a game.Pending the Minnesota teams.... they may go undefeated(just to name a few....Moody Hatt Purper Johnson Simonson Gust Amot Okeefe Ray Ladue (lost Spicer can that be verified?) Lang in the nets. I hope someone competes with them though.
#2Fargo South- One line decent goaltending
#3West Fargo- good on defense could be an upset team during tournament time.
#4Grand Forks Red River- Ladoceur will be good and Nies other than that???? anyone?
#5Fargo North- Jake Mcphail is there only hope at a state birth
#6Fargo Shanley-Will probably struggle regardless of what people say
#7Devils Lake has little to no hope
#8Grafton- Will be in trouble the got trounced pleanty last year i believe but i was impressed with there state game against HIGH
#9Whapeton-Not sure what there talent will be like but there team was young. could surprise some people and maybe cause some havoc in the east region tournament.

I predict a state championship game of williston vs central!!!

just to add to your red river. they have chris waind who has played varsity hockey since his freshman year. he has been in the past three state championships. they returned a good amount of players from last years team. experience has to keep them out of fourth in the edc. behind west fargo? come on. remember last year red river supposedly had a "down year" they were not supposed to be good as some people said on this site. i dont think you can ever count red river out of competing well in the post season tournaments
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby just another guy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 am

HAHAHHA you clearly need to excuse yourself from the Hockey forums. West Fargo is not good as RR proved that last saturday (7-3) get it right West Fargo has never been good since mites and its definitely not going to start now in Varsity HIgh School Hockey.
just another guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby just another guy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:12 am

P4KNBD wrote:
Westisthebest wrote:Ok here is my prediction.....from the talent aspect and just my opinion

WEST

#1Bismarck High- Just more returning talent then other teams in the WDA..Strong goaltending.loss of Romanick hurts thoguh.
#2Williston-I just believe that Jordan Nelson will be enough to to take them to a state tournament alone.
#3Minot-Even without scmitt they will be tough.
#4Bismarck Century-Kusler will be tough to handle...the loss of Blair will be felt though.
#5Hazen
#6Jamestown
#7,8,9 who cares

EAST

#1Grand Forks Central -by far and away has the best team in the state no one will even contest them.there is way to much there for the state to handle. It may be bold but I dont see them loosing a game.Pending the Minnesota teams.... they may go undefeated(just to name a few....Moody Hatt Purper Johnson Simonson Gust Amot Okeefe Ray Ladue (lost Spicer can that be verified?) Lang in the nets. I hope someone competes with them though.
#2Fargo South- One line decent goaltending
#3West Fargo- good on defense could be an upset team during tournament time.
#4Grand Forks Red River- Ladoceur will be good and Nies other than that???? anyone?
#5Fargo North- Jake Mcphail is there only hope at a state birth
#6Fargo Shanley-Will probably struggle regardless of what people say
#7Devils Lake has little to no hope
#8Grafton- Will be in trouble the got trounced pleanty last year i believe but i was impressed with there state game against HIGH
#9Whapeton-Not sure what there talent will be like but there team was young. could surprise some people and maybe cause some havoc in the east region tournament.

I predict a state championship game of williston vs central!!!

just to add to your red river. they have chris waind who has played varsity hockey since his freshman year. he has been in the past three state championships. they returned a good amount of players from last years team. experience has to keep them out of fourth in the edc. behind west fargo? come on. remember last year red river supposedly had a "down year" they were not supposed to be good as some people said on this site. i dont think you can ever count red river out of competing well in the post season tournaments
Although Wand or Waind is a good defensive defensemen he doesnt put up points even being that experienced
just another guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:39 am

i think red river will beat central, player wise, skill wise their not up there. but it just seems like somethings clicking this year. wf is very good, but weak goaltending, and central was looking sloppy last i saw. red river dominated shanley the first and third period. although shanley had them way on their heals the second period, redriver looked good, my word would be "crisp". and i think thats enough for them to be the team to beat this year.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby just another guy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 am

Central is the messiest talented hockey team i have ever seen. Against west fargo last night they were so desperate to score a goal they were shooting from the goal line. The only thing that saved central was Aaron Hatt who is an absolute camper at the back door. Someone needs to get this kid a tent and marshmellows cause this kid is too lazy to move. But whatever scores the goals i guess
just another guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:57 pm

Clark17 wrote:Ya and if the border would have been the 47th parallel we would have had hockey in every small town across North Dakota, thus a much better product, especially from the west in general. It really wouldn't have mattered though cause we would all be Canadian and we would be talking about AAA midgets on this forum. Do you guys find that somewhat amazing? Why did we get stuck with basketball?

Yes, hockey in this state would be greatly improved if we had as much attention devoted to it as say Canada or Minnesota does .However, we don't. We have to do it ourselves by providing incentive for younger kids to be able to get into the game, and then get them hooked on the great sport of Hockey. It's already working Grand Forks, Grafton, and Fargo is starting to convert as well. And Football/Class B Basketball seem to get all the attention in this state, even though if you compare them nationally as Hockey is at the end of each year, Hockey is far better talent wise (South was #23 last year out of 1700 teams after losing 3 games at the end of the season, and Red River and South in past years both had top 15 teams as well) We just need more interest in the game.

hockeyboss wrote:you cant really say the states plagued by grand forks teams being the only talent. was it last year south, tied moorhead 2-2, who later went on to take second in the state of minnesota? north dakota hockey isnt as low as people think it is, its just the low numbers as to a larger state like minnesota, causing us to put out only a few good teams a year.

Yes, but it appears to other people (just look at the past state championships and also who's played in them) that Grand Forks is all that North Dakota has. Even when Bismarck, North, Grafton or South throws out a good team into the mix, it doesn't add much recognition to our state, especially when one of these teams flops against a far lower rated team. (South last year, Bismarck last year, Red River in 08, etc) When that happens, it drops a national ranking like a rock since our teams have a lower numerical rating on scales due to the competition they face. Whereas when Edina dropped to Moorhead last year, they still took the #1 rating in the country because of who they had played and beaten before. It's a numbers game. The fact we don't have the numbers to consistently put out teams like this is also a big factor. Look at the Stadstad tournament, teams like Blaine and BJ left the tournament, likely because they weren't being challenged.

P4KNBD wrote:wow i have trouble thinking i am interpreting this right. you say that last year in the state tournament bismarck crushed red river? if you honestly believe that you have some problems

Honestly, not going over this again. But yes, Red River actually did get crushed, quite literally throughout the tournament. I mean Bismarck's goalie had nine saves. South's goalie had twelve, while both of these teams put up 40+ on Meland. Sometimes people say take a loss with a grain of salt, you ought to take the win with a grain of salt. Bismarck and South were better teams than RR.

gfhockey wrote:Idk if i really believe in that arguement of this team A beat this team B by 2 and that team B beat this team C by 1 so team A is better then team c

you do have a point in the ND hockey isnt as low that peopel think it is. THe top 3 ND team coukd comptete wiht the top 20 MN teams but after the top 3 or 4, it falls off dramatically IMO

The transitive property obviously doesn't work in sports or betting wouldn't occur, predictions wouldn't be needed, and none of the less skilled teams would ever need to play. That's the point of sports. Play to win every game. And ND hockey is great. There is generally a team every year that gets placed top 20-30 nationally, which is incredible if you think about it. The problem is that it just gets no attention from media, and we're isolated so it makes it difficult for scouts to reach out. That means it's the job of the players to get themselves out there on their own. They can't rely on scouts to come to them. And at that they have to prove that they're better than players from more 'pronounced' areas. Increasing the strength of the state as a whole would counter this.

P4KNBD wrote:

west fargo? really?

Not likely, but not impossible either. Same goes for Century, but likely even less probable.
Probably not a state championship team, but West Fargo could very likely do something at state this year. There one of few teams getting better over the past few years and still at it.

just another guy wrote:

HAHAHHA you clearly need to excuse yourself from the Hockey forums. West Fargo is not good as RR proved that last saturday (7-3) get it right West Fargo has never been good since mites and its definitely not going to start now in Varsity HIgh School Hockey.

A lot changes since mites. You'd be surprised. And that game was remarkably closer than the score.

just another guy wrote:Central is the messiest talented hockey team i have ever seen. Against west fargo last night they were so desperate to score a goal they were shooting from the goal line. The only thing that saved central was Aaron Hatt who is an absolute camper at the back door. Someone needs to get this kid a tent and marshmellows cause this kid is too lazy to move. But whatever scores the goals i guess

Central has great control over the game, but they've always struggled offensively. I don't know exactly what it is but they have trouble getting offensive flow going. They do control play effectively enough where it usually doesn't matter, but in games where getting goals is more difficult than going in and shooting they definitely do struggle.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:04 pm

HH we know you are from fargo and lets leave it at that. To say that West Fargo will have a chance at the title game is beyond me. I htink tehy barely have a chance at state.

RR
GFC
FS
last spot is take ur pick which wf has a small chance

You guys are just in denial that grand forks has a great team EVERY year and has been in the title game every year sine 92. take that with a grain of salt i may add
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:08 pm

just another guy wrote:Central is the messiest talented hockey team i have ever seen. Against west fargo last night they were so desperate to score a goal they were shooting from the goal line. The only thing that saved central was Aaron Hatt who is an absolute camper at the back door. Someone needs to get this kid a tent and marshmellows cause this kid is too lazy to move. But whatever scores the goals i guess

It looked to me like GFC dominated WF

44 shots on goal to 14 shots on goal abd bina was riding his 3rd and 4th line in the third period mostly.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to EDC