Minnesota State Hockey tournament vs North Dakota State

Teams of the East

Minnesota State Hockey tournament vs North Dakota State

Postby Westisthebest » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:43 pm

Any thoughts?

just to consider

South tied Moorhead
Central lead Warroad 5-1 before an epic fold.
RedRiver Central and Grafton played Blaine to close games. Central only lost 3-1 with an empty netter.
Westisthebest
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Minnesota State Hockey tournament vs North Dakota State

Postby central hockey fan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:54 pm

Westisthebest wrote:Any thoughts?

just to consider

South tied Moorhead
Central lead Warroad 5-1 before an epic fold.
RedRiver Central and Grafton played Blaine to close games. Central only lost 3-1 with an empty netter.

I have thought about this since Warroad and Moorhead have had so much success. I can say that I think the top 4 teams in the EDC could be very competitive in MN.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:00 pm

I'm fairly certain South scrimmaged Breck at some point at the beginning of the season as well. (Class A champs who throttled Warroad)

I believe that South would likely have been able to go to state this year in a battle with Moorhead in 8AA. However, I think that the MN State Tournament is a far better showing as far as talent and skill goes. Compete? Yes. Win? Probably not.

Central was the only 'close' game with Blaine, but none of them won either way. Warroad still beat Central, and South didn't beat Moorhead. These are also all regular season games that are out of conference and have very little showing for the Minnesota rankings unless they lose. Not trying to bash ND HS Hockey, but I doubt Moorhead even considers FS a rival in Hockey, just as FS wouldn't consider Moorhead a rival in any other sport.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:27 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:I'm fairly certain South scrimmaged Breck at some point at the beginning of the season as well. (Class A champs who throttled Warroad)

I believe that South would likely have been able to go to state this year in a battle with Moorhead in 8AA. However, I think that the MN State Tournament is a far better showing as far as talent and skill goes. Compete? Yes. Win? Probably not.

Central was the only 'close' game with Blaine, but none of them won either way. Warroad still beat Central, and South didn't beat Moorhead. These are also all regular season games that are out of conference and have very little showing for the Minnesota rankings unless they lose. Not trying to bash ND HS Hockey, but I doubt Moorhead even considers FS a rival in Hockey, just as FS wouldn't consider Moorhead a rival in any other sport.

I submit to you that if South, GFC, GFRR, and GPR were able to play the level of talent that is available across the river on a regular basis (league play, twice per year etc.), they would not only be competitive but would have their share of section titles. I don't think the top teams in this state are any less capable of winning than their MN counterparts. The level of competition here is the key.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:05 pm

central hockey fan wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:I'm fairly certain South scrimmaged Breck at some point at the beginning of the season as well. (Class A champs who throttled Warroad)

I submit to you that if South, GFC, GFRR, and GPR were able to play the level of talent that is available across the river on a regular basis (league play, twice per year etc.), they would not only be competitive but would have their share of section titles. I don't think the top teams in this state are any less capable of winning than their MN counterparts. The level of competition here is the key.

I think they could be competitive, this is why you see the Border city schools using their non-EDC games against Minnesota competition whenever possible.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Westisthebest » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Just a question not quite sure but if Willistons goalie is on could they compete? or is BHS plays physical with the minnesota teams?
Westisthebest
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Westisthebest wrote:Just a question not quite sure but if Willistons goalie is on could they compete? or is BHS plays physical with the minnesota teams?

If your goalie is 'on' you can 'compete' with anyone. Consistency is key, and I don't believe any of the West teams would be capable of being as consistent as the top 3-4 teams in the EDC are. Even with the top 4 teams in the EDC, it's rare that we have consistent skill levels over here in the east. With the incredibly low number of teams (18 in the entire state), you'd expect certain schools to win more often. In the past few years, there's been hardly any schools winning more than 1-2 years in a row. That's good for the state, but with only 18 teams and 3/4 of them not being competitive with the top 1/4 it's not that impressive. Especially when the state champ in ND got demolished by the higher level MN teams. (Blaine, Jefferson, even Roseau beat Central and Grafton. Roseau was bad.)

As for Bismarck, I think their stress on physicality would get to them. Most teams in ND tend to play physical and try to hit. Few teams in Minnesota focus on this, and rarely any of them get to state. Moorhead was about as physical as a team from MN got, but they also had a tremendous amount of speed. I think MN teams would just be too skilled and fast for Bismarck and would skate around them instead of trying to go toe to toe with them like ND teams did (Grafton, Central). Red River avoided this, and when Bismarck continued to attempt to be physical, they got penalties, and if they missed they got walked and lead to an odd man rush and a good scoring opportunity.

Even South would have had a hard time just getting to State in Minnesota this year. They had a highly skilled team and a great record against MN teams (Moorhead, White Bear, Crookston, Rochester Century, John Marshall, Apple Valley and whomever they played in their scrimmages, believe they played Breck, Burnsville and some other team?), they would have had to get through Moorhead to simply get to state. They went 5-0-1 against Minnesota teams, and (especially how they played at state) I doubt they would have gotten as far as Moorhead did.

Edit: Long post, eh?
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby nothinghappend » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm

well i would have to say south pretty much would beat every team in the united states if they were to try. i mean they tied moorhead, oh but they took thrid at state. they should have tried harder i guess because they should have won state hands down. im sure if they played state was played in the UP center south would have won with a completely sold out crowd
nothinghappend

Postby sweeper » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:02 pm

didn't south take 4th at state this year?
sweeper
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bcsportsfan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:09 pm

North Dakota teams would have a very tough time competing at the MN state tourny. I do believe some of the teams could do well in certain sections, but you have to ask yourself what sections, because some are extremely competitive. MN does have better talent than ND, but thats the way it should be, considering MN is a more of a hockey state, and has more kids to pick from. If you put a RR, FS, or GPR in a mildy competitve section in MN, and after a couple of years, they could start to be section winners and possibly make a run for a state title. Overall, MN hockey beats ND hockey.
bcsportsfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:49 pm

Of course, what does Minnesota have, about 30 times more guys out for hockey? I understand WestistheBest's point in asking how a team from North Dakota would do in the MN state tourney, and I think that they would compete, but still be about a 10-1 long shot at best. Metro schools have enrollments of about 3000 or more to field teams every year. South is about half that, Central, Red River, etc., much less. Moorhead has an advantage in that they have built a good program in the past 20 years and they arguably have an easier path to the the tournament since most years they just need to get by Roseau in the section tournament. Even with Moorhead's outstanding talent in the previous years, they haven't been able to bring home the trophy yet. So I could see a ND team perhaps winning a game, maybe two at best. But never say never, that is why they play the games.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 pm

sweeper wrote:didn't south take 4th at state this year?

Yes they did, nothinghappened was banned for all the crap he's posted.

NDSportsFan wrote:Of course, what does Minnesota have, about 30 times more guys out for hockey? I understand WestistheBest's point in asking how a team from North Dakota would do in the MN state tourney, and I think that they would compete, but still be about a 10-1 long shot at best. Metro schools have enrollments of about 3000 or more to field teams every year. South is about half that, Central, Red River, etc., much less. Moorhead has an advantage in that they have built a good program in the past 20 years and they arguably have an easier path to the the tournament since most years they just need to get by Roseau in the section tournament. Even with Moorhead's outstanding talent in the previous years, they haven't been able to bring home the trophy yet. So I could see a ND team perhaps winning a game, maybe two at best. But never say never, that is why they play the games.

I'd have to agree. But what more can you expect from a state that is 10 and a half times larger in populace than another along with an outstanding tradition of high school hockey? I'm proud to say that North Dakota can do so well that they can even compare themselves with a state founded excellence in this sport. Whereas most athletics in North Dakota get compared to lower classes (AAA football obviously can't compete with the titans of HS Football from other regions), Hockey actually gets compared to some of the top tier in the nation.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby nd0606 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:12 pm

well said...most important thing to do...get the young kids in ND involved in hockey...whether it be going to Force games, supporting the local hs, or going to some sioux games...keep them coming to the rink and build the passion that is so evident in Minnesota as they pack in 18,000 for their State hockey tournament games...
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Return to EDC