2009-2010

Teams of the East

Re: 2009-2010

Postby BTC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 pm

Actually Meland played out of his mind because he's a good goalie and he saw the majority of his shots. He made the saves he had too. "Getting few shots and became unfocused" sounds like an excuse for why Buchholz let in shots he should have saved. Anyway, next year Cenral will be very hard to beat and should be more of a favorite to win then South.
BTC
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hockeyman10 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:05 pm

BTC wrote:Actually Meland played out of his mind because he's a good goalie and he saw the majority of his shots. He made the saves he had too. "Getting few shots and became unfocused" sounds like an excuse for why Buchholz let in shots he should have saved. Anyway, next year Cenral will be very hard to beat and should be more of a favorite to win then South.

Actually Buchholz played very well in the state tourney. He doesn't need any excuses. I was at the game and the goals that went in were because of a screen and the overtime goal went off one of his forwards shoulders. Buchholz played very well all season.
hockeyman10
NDPreps Rookie

Postby 14>35 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm

BTC wrote:Actually Meland played out of his mind because he's a good goalie and he saw the majority of his shots. He made the saves he had too. "Getting few shots and became unfocused" sounds like an excuse for why Buchholz let in shots he should have saved. Anyway, next year Cenral will be very hard to beat and should be more of a favorite to win then South.

true...most good goalies split time three ways with a sophomore and freshman.
im sorry but i agree with the "more shots, better performance" ideology. most athletes will perform better when they are under pressure or in "heat of the moment" type situations. in fact, the lack of shots is probably why bucholz let in easy shots, just like meland did in his first game, and just like most goalies when they aren't under constant pressure
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby Favre#1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:52 pm

I thought I would get back on topic and give my predictions for next year:

1. Grand Forks Central- They just reload every year, and next year looks to be no exception.
2. Fargo South- They only return one D man from last year's team (Hooey), and he might not even be back. They have a very strong offense that should keep them up in the 2-4 spots.
3. West Fargo- Call me crazy, but this team looks to be solid next year. They lose one guy, basically, and return alot of talent.
4.Grand Forks Red River- Lost alot from last year, but do have talent coming back. It will be interesting to see where Johnson will be next year. I could see them slipping to 5 maybe even 6.
5.Fargo Shanley- Call me crazy again, but they return basically everyone from last year's team. If their new coach is a good coach this team could have a shot a state.
6.Fargo North- Return alot, but this team has alot of issues between the players, coaches, etc.
7.Grafton- Lost everything, next year will be rough for the Spoilers.
8.Devils Lake- Lost their tender, they return players, but just have no talent.
9.Wahpeton-Looks to be another long year for the Blades.
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportshound » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Farve#1 has some good views. could be close to right too.
The EDC is so strong. I know you talk like things will be down. But down in the East is NOT like down in the West.
Think of that........
Top teams in the East still better than our best of best in the West.....
Heard that some of the Central guys could be going to Jr's....??? Any word?
And that the Johnson Kid from GFRR is possibly going to GFC or maybe to Canada to play next yr.
We have some of that out here too-- guys that will probably look to go Jr's instead of staying in HS.
Partly because they have seen even the best guys stay in School and not get the opportunity when they finish. They seem to think they have to leave to get out of ND to have a good shot at other opportunities.
How many guys from the East will not play HS next yr.
And Really-- about Shanley??? Who is the NEw Coach. Heard it could be a Coach from Minnesota HS Ranks coming across the river. Though Not looking at the School as a HS program. but more Like a Shatick school.(Private and recruit and play AAA)
Any word on that from anyone?
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby slapshot » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:11 am

I heard a rumour that Johnson will be the Force's new head Coach. Luke will be playing for Fargo North this year.
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby P4KNBD » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Favre#1 wrote:I thought I would get back on topic and give my predictions for next year:

1. Grand Forks Central- They just reload every year, and next year looks to be no exception.
2. Fargo South- They only return one D man from last year's team (Hooey), and he might not even be back. They have a very strong offense that should keep them up in the 2-4 spots.
3. West Fargo- Call me crazy, but this team looks to be solid next year. They lose one guy, basically, and return alot of talent.
4.Grand Forks Red River- Lost alot from last year, but do have talent coming back. It will be interesting to see where Johnson will be next year. I could see them slipping to 5 maybe even 6.
5.Fargo Shanley- Call me crazy again, but they return basically everyone from last year's team. If their new coach is a good coach this team could have a shot a state.
6.Fargo North- Return alot, but this team has alot of issues between the players, coaches, etc.
7.Grafton- Lost everything, next year will be rough for the Spoilers.
8.Devils Lake- Lost their tender, they return players, but just have no talent.
9.Wahpeton-Looks to be another long year for the Blades.

okay, first off central does not "reload every year" they dont even reload this year. they get all their talent back. that is not called reloading, at least not to me. and if central so called "reloads EVERY year" then how come last year was their first year at making the state tournament in like three years (maybe two years i am not sure, but the main point is they werent in the state tournament for a couple years yet they still supposedly reload every year) just something to think about...however this being said i think central will be very solid next year but you never know what can happen come edc and state tourney time.

as for west fargo, i didnt see them play. but they gave some team some troubles. i think they will be in the running for a state tourney birth, but not the third best team in the edc.

Now red river is a team that truely does reload every year. last year they were supposed to be down. but they reloaded with talent not a lot of people saw coming and won yet another state championship.

i just have a hard time believing shanley will finish 5. i think north will be ahead of them. i will not say my whole prediction becuase i dont have one at this point. but i believe central rr and south will be battling for the top spot in the edc tourney as well as the regular season title.
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsman101 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:26 pm

how bout danny ray being drafted by st louis and hooey by wenatchee? the two teams in the national championship last yr in the NA
sportsman101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby saltyapple29 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:30 pm

RidersHockey wrote:GPR doesnt have much left here are the stats from Gillens site.
Skaters
Alex Gaustad F Sr. 27 18 27 45
Cody Boyle F Sr. 26 23 21 44
Ryan Mohagen F Sr. 27 15 23 38
Ryan Hills D Sr. 27 7 13 20
Sam Tweten F Jr. 25 8 9 17
Tyler Lindell F Sr. 27 7 6 13
Christian Miller F Sr. 26 4 8 12
Cole Anderson F So. 27 5 6 11
Adam Schaefer D Sr. 27 2 8 10
Tyler Vold F Sr. 27 6 3 9
Reilly Mathiason D Jr. 24 1 8 9
Paul Dusek D Jr. 27 0 7 7
Joey Demers D So. 25 1 3 4
Austin Campbell F Fr. 27 3 1 4
Colby Aasand F Jr. 23 2 1 3
Casey Moe F Jr. 27 0 2 2
Evan Horter F Sr. 26 0 1 1

Goalies
Eric Monsebroten Sr. 24.33 71 657 586 2.92 89.2 [12 - 12 - 0 ] 2
Dylan Offutt Jr. 3.83 8 72 64 2.09 88.9 [3 - 0 - 0 ] 0 - His 3 wins came against DL, Whapeton, and North...Started the game agaisnt Bloomington Jefferson which he was yanked after giving up 3 goals on 6 shots.

Yes offutt played against DL, Wap, and North but he didnt start vs. Bloomington Jefferson he was thrown in at the end. He also play a period and a half against South only allowing 2 goals after being thrown in cold with no warm up after monsebroten got ''hurt''. Offutt also saw some time against central. Not saying this is going to totally change the Spoiler season just setting the facts straight.
saltyapple29
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:49 pm

I agree with Salty here, give him a chance. With the amount of players that Grafton has lost, he will be seeing a lot of shots nearly every game, and he will get better very fast, trust me. The place Grafton takes, and the chance of them getting to state this year is very much on his shoulders.

Chase from DL didn't play more than a couple of games on Varsity before he started because of Groves. However, he was the only reason that DL didn't get lit up like Wahpeton. He'll do fine next year, but Grafton loses all of its offensive power.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby saltyapple29 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Grafton is losing a lot this year and it is going to be a tough year for them but like i have read on here before grafton is the bermuda triangle of the state.. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by what these kids can bring to the table now that they are out of the shadow of their very talented upper classman.
saltyapple29
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ctrain1369 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:13 am

South has another year left as the only team and im sure they will do anything they can to make this team a championship team. Im not saying its going to happen im just sayin that anyone would wanna go out with a bang and with this school only having 3 state titles to their name, another one in the last year would be nice. South will always be around but with fargo spreading out like it is it will be nothing compaired to davies (the new school in south fargo 2012) in the future. This is their teams last shot at a title before they completely decline. there going to do anything for it.
ctrain1369
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ctrain1369 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 am

sportsman101 wrote:how bout danny ray being drafted by st louis and hooey by wenatchee? the two teams in the national championship last yr in the NA

also josh hooey isnt leaving. wasnt excited about staying for his senior year, but really wanted to play his senior year of football at south. still going to be a bruin for the hockey season
ctrain1369
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockey123 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:56 pm

what kids from the 08-09 are playing juniors this year? player name? team ? thanks
hockey123
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:47 am

saltyapple29 wrote:Grafton is losing a lot this year and it is going to be a tough year for them but like i have read on here before grafton is the bermuda triangle of the state.. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by what these kids can bring to the table now that they are out of the shadow of their very talented upper classman.

I'll put this rather bluntly, although Grafton is known for its shady antics, bizarre referees and delicious stuffed potatoes, they will be very, very down this year. You can't play EDC or the State tournament in Grafton, so I don't even see them getting past the EDC tournament and definitely not in title territory.

ctrain1369 wrote:South has another year left as the only team and im sure they will do anything they can to make this team a championship team. Im not saying its going to happen im just sayin that anyone would wanna go out with a bang and with this school only having 3 state titles to their name, another one in the last year would be nice. South will always be around but with fargo spreading out like it is it will be nothing compaired to davies (the new school in south fargo 2012) in the future. This is their teams last shot at a title before they completely decline. there going to do anything for it.

I can guarantee that the team felt this same exact way last year, and they did in fact do that to an extent. Negate the terrible Bismarck game and the wishy washy loss to Central in the regular season, South had an undefeated regular season and for most of the year it looked like they were going to put up the best season record in Bruin history that would likely stand as long as South is a school. However, after the loss of their entire defensive core minus Hooey, and a good portion of their offense this year, I don't see them taking State. The state in itself isn't down enough for that to happen, and Central should have a significant advantage over South in both skill and talent this upcoming year. South will rely on a strong goalie and a line of offense to get it done. I just don't foresee Benson being capable of coaching a team like that to victory like Malm did this year.

ctrain1369 wrote:
sportsman101 wrote:how bout danny ray being drafted by st louis and hooey by wenatchee? the two teams in the national championship last yr in the NA

also josh hooey isnt leaving. wasnt excited about staying for his senior year, but really wanted to play his senior year of football at south. still going to be a bruin for the hockey season

This is pretty much the only sigh of relief South will get, they're still severely lacking defensively aside from Buchholz.

hockey123 wrote:what kids from the 08-09 are playing juniors this year? player name? team ? thanks

I know there's a good few ND players from last year going juniors/college teams in various places/divisions. I don't have a list that'd be worth posting though, so I'll leave it up to someone else.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mallards » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 am

I can guarantee that the team felt this same exact way last year, and they did in fact do that to an extent. Negate the terrible Bismarck game and the wishy washy loss to Central in the regular season, South had an undefeated regular season and for most of the year it looked like they were going to put up the best season record in Bruin history that would likely stand as long as South is a school. However, after the loss of their entire defensive core minus Hooey, and a good portion of their offense this year, I don't see them taking State. The state in itself isn't down enough for that to happen, and Central should have a significant advantage over South in both skill and talent this upcoming year. South will rely on a strong goalie and a line of offense to get it done. I just don't foresee Benson being capable of coaching a team like that to victory like Malm did this year.

BHS and Cenral were ready and took it to Fargo South. A loss is a loss. Give some credit to a STONG TEAM EFFORT by BHS and Central. I don't see why you would discredit BHS or Cenral when they did in fact beat Fargo South. I was looking forward to a Fago South vs BHS game at State but South could not make it. Was this another wish washy Red River loss? South had alot of talent but could not make it to the championship game. Fargo South actions off the ice after the Red River loss during the State Tournanment shows no respect to the game. The peanut butter....mess was hard to believe. What a disappointment to read and hear about this at State. The Bruins players showed no respect to the game of hockey and the Ralph Engelstad Arena. What a way to end the 2008-09 season.
Mallards
NDPreps Reserve

Postby purple_drank » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:59 pm

my picks

1. GFC
2. SOUTH
3. WEST FARGO
4. NORTH
5. RED RIVER
6. GRAFTON
7.SHANLEY
8. DEVILS LAKE
9. WHAPETON
i think that 3 through 5 is hard to choose from and those could go anyway. especially how red river pulled that off last year in the state turney
purple_drank
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Mallards wrote:BHS and Cenral were ready and took it to Fargo South. A loss is a loss. Give some credit to a STONG TEAM EFFORT by BHS and Central. I don't see why you would discredit BHS or Cenral when they did in fact beat Fargo South. I was looking forward to a Fago South vs BHS game at State but South could not make it. Was this another wish washy Red River loss? South had alot of talent but could not make it to the championship game. Fargo South actions off the ice after the Red River loss during the State Tournanment shows no respect to the game. The peanut butter....mess was hard to believe. What a disappointment to read and hear about this at State. The Bruins players showed no respect to the game of hockey and the Ralph Engelstad Arena. What a way to end the 2008-09 season.

Honestly, once the season ended I talked to parents, and a couple of the kids from the team that both graduated and are currently on the team this year, and they pretty much summed up what I thought and knew about South's coaching staff. Maybe BHS and Central did have a strong team effort those games, but a majority of it was a conjoined effort of bad coaching, bad motivation, and a mixed effort by South.

You can dig up and look at what is posted in any of the three Bismarck/South threads (quote linked here) for that game, most of them say the same thing, but here's my quote for you:
HockeyHigh wrote:Bismark wins a rather unimpressive game 5-2. Take this as excuses if you will, I'm just taken aback by South's coaching. South looked very, very underwhelming and were playing players that I have literally never even heard of. South didn't play Scott Buchholz and several of their best players weren't on the ice, even though they had to know that Bismarck would be coming to win a game. Seems very unreal that a coaching staff would do this. Bismark didn't impress me at all. They played a very simple dump and chase and whenever there was any pressure on them at all they just iced the puck.

Maybe it was a Christmas break that slowed the teams down, but that was not the game I was expecting. Congratulations to Bismarck, if that's the kind of competition that South is willing to put forth, I see Bismarck holding up the state championship trophy in February. South was doing so well, and they obviously changed something for the definite worst over the break.

I know I'm taking away from Bismarck's win, but I am seriously disappointed in Fargo South's performance, and don't think South's performance is how North Dakota should be represented.

And South/Bismarck were both undefeated at this point, that's sad.

I don't recall if I posted on the Central game, it wasn't nearly as bad as the Central game if I recall correctly, but I still believe the coaching staff of South was still playing with their lines and playing Junior Varsity (4th liners) during the game which is incredibly bad for the team, it doesn't make players happy when they're getting shorted time in high school to players that shouldn't be on the ice during a close varsity game. Granted South clinched the EDC title already, there's no excuse to not play your best players and lose a game like that.

The Red River game had a lot of things happen, I thought South actually played well during that game, they just couldn't bury at all. They also seemed to lack a little spirit that they had during the EDC tournament. They almost seemed to expect to be in the championship game, I know their student section looked like it.

As for the peanut butter mess, I don't believe this was formally addressed at any point except for being closed or deleted so far, but I'll make that clear to everyone on the forum having heard it from the coach, players and parents with the exact same story, and I'm right:

South's players that actually played at state (1st, 2nd, 3rd liners) didn't do anything in the locker room, it was a sulky sullen mood that everyone gets after they lost something big. The JV players (4th line and below) went into the showers with a plastic jug of peanut butter (one of the foods South brought for their players to the rink, they generally bring a whole buffet of healthy fruits/carbs to eat) and were throwing it around, some of which got on the walls. Not a single one was a senior or a player that had actually had any significant time at state. The coach wasn't present because he was giving his players time to vent to themselves and let the team have their alone time, like any respectable coach should (this may be one bit of credit I will give to Benson and his staff). There was no property damage in the rink, none at all (peanut butter was only in shower, easily cleaned), and the peanut butter was promptly addressed, and completely cleaned by the team and the team alone the next morning. The Fargo Fool'em or any other paper for that matter had no right to put this in the paper other than to attempt to overreact to something or to ruin a school's reputation. I know of FAR worse things that have happened after teams lose at state (Red River, Central included, and is actually more common from them but they are there more) that have never been addressed in public view. Maybe it was just really bad damage control by South's coaching staff, as usual. Either way, the graduating class and most of South was the utmost respectable possible after losing a game like that, and feel in no way they should have received treatment like that, especially a newspaper article. That's shameful. Don't believe everything you read, that's just a bad thing to get accustomed to.

If you wanted to bash South for anything all year, you should have seen their warm-up for the Central/South game in the 3rd place game. I actually laughed through the entire thing.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby siouxhockey » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:27 pm

"Don't believe everything you read, that's just a bad thing to get accustomed to."

Haven't believed any of your posts. Haha
siouxhockey
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:37 pm

siouxhockey wrote:"Don't believe everything you read, that's just a bad thing to get accustomed to."

Haven't believed any of your posts. Haha

Good, continue derailing threads and you won't be able to read any posts. Considering your only 3 posts, it won't be long.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyboss » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 am

very true hockeyhigh, i didnt understand the coaching in that game. not playing scotty, and also playing jv kids. everygame is a game, you need to coach and play to win. no matter what the circumstance. but you also have to remember that the bismark coach does run four lines the majority of the game, correct?
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:16 pm

hockeyboss wrote:very true hockeyhigh, i didnt understand the coaching in that game. not playing scotty, and also playing jv kids. everygame is a game, you need to coach and play to win. no matter what the circumstance. but you also have to remember that the bismark coach does run four lines the majority of the game, correct?

I don't know how the Bismarck coach runs his team, but I'm assuming he has it rather established. That's a huge difference, and one he likely addressed with his team. Thankfully, I'm rather involved with all four Fargo program's social circles, and I know what went through the players' and parents' heads for South.

If the Bismarck coach did establish something like this, even being new as he was, his team knew how they were going to do it and they did do very well with it, there were no problems. The team seemed to be fine with it, as they also had success doing it.
South on the other hand, this was their first year with the new coach as well, but I know he didn't set any ground rules play wise (Wilson, the previous coach, strictly played his best players as much as possible, nearly regardless of game situations). Now I don't really have to tell you how this would effect you, if you were pushed back to one of the JV teams or 3rd or 4th line during Wilson's years (Only play the best), and when you finally get to the cream of the crop, you end up splitting time with 4th liners and otherwise junior varsity players? After all, South generally plays to win, not make everyone on the team happy. It's how the east runs, and has always run. If you want to win, you have to play your best guys. If you want to play more, you improve yourself. It's like capitalism, just translated to sports. I think it's a great system, and it works. Of course some of the players that aren't naturally as talented and don't try as hard don't get to play, but life isn't fair, High School is the point were competition begins, and people need to 'learn their place' (to put it as harshly as possible). When this ideal is changed at random, you're gonna cause drama and create collapses in your team. I felt like this was severely detrimental to the South team all year. This year, Benson will have to control his team much better, and set his motives for his team. Would he like to appease the team, or would he like to play the best as much as possible, getting them prepared for tournament time? Of course when you're destroying a team, you play your younger less experienced players, but when you're facing another undefeated team, you don't play your backup goalie and your inexperienced players without reason. Ever.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:33 am

i do agree with the lack of good choices on the coaches part, but ive also heard that benson or whatever stays in very close contact with wilson.. bottom line, you have to play everygame to win. especially when its two of the top teams from each divison facing off in an undefeated battle.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to EDC