2009-2010

Teams of the East

Re: 2009-2010

Postby dillseeds » Sun May 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Most people said that Crary wouldn't win Mr Hockey without Meland on his line. Most people said that Red Rivers defense wouldn't be able to hold up against tough EDC teams. Most people said that Red River wouldn't win the state hockey championship this year. Take a lesson from the past. Jake Laducer will be the state scoring leader and Mr. Hockey in 2010.
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun May 10, 2009 11:25 pm

dillseeds wrote:Most people said that Crary wouldn't win Mr Hockey without Meland on his line. Most people said that Red Rivers defense wouldn't be able to hold up against tough EDC teams. Most people said that Red River wouldn't win the state hockey championship this year. Take a lesson from the past. Jake Laducer will be the state scoring leader and Mr. Hockey in 2010.

As far as I recall I don't know many people that doubted that Crary was in line for Mr. Hockey. He had outstanding statistics his junior year, and as long as he maintained at least some points this year and held up his captainship over his team he was going to win the award. There were no other truly qualifying candidates this year unlike years past. Red River's defense didn't really hold up to the EDC teams, their goalie did. (Argue that goalie is part of your defense all you want, once South and Bismarck both started just walking to the net they scored, that's just a coaching mistake on BHS/FSH's part)

The fact that you're putting it down as a fact that he will be the state leading scorer and Mr. Hockey in 2010 makes you arrogant AND ignorant. Although I think Jake has a great chance of winning it next year as long as he stays on his game, Peter Orson from South looks to be a contender. Whereas Douce had Crary, Orson didn't really have a standout on his line as I recall. If I were to put money down it'd be on one of these two versus a player from the west (probably Romanick? Don't know really). I see the East player winning it.

Quick question, are both Orson and Douce going to be captains next year? Although it's not a requirement, this is a big factor come decision time in my opinion. Being a captain is a big sign of leadership and would expect both players to have it come 2010.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby dillseeds » Sun May 10, 2009 11:44 pm

Dont call me arogant and ignorant when he led the state in scoring as a junior. If Mr. Hockey could go to a junior my vote as well as a majority of the other people in the state would've been for Jake. Ladouceur will be a captain for the Riders next year and might possibly lead them to yet another state title.
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby toews19 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:42 am

HockeyHigh wrote:
dillseeds wrote:Most people said that Crary wouldn't win Mr Hockey without Meland on his line. Most people said that Red Rivers defense wouldn't be able to hold up against tough EDC teams. Most people said that Red River wouldn't win the state hockey championship this year. Take a lesson from the past. Jake Laducer will be the state scoring leader and Mr. Hockey in 2010.

As far as I recall I don't know many people that doubted that Crary was in line for Mr. Hockey. He had outstanding statistics his junior year, and as long as he maintained at least some points this year and held up his captainship over his team he was going to win the award. There were no other truly qualifying candidates this year unlike years past. Red River's defense didn't really hold up to the EDC teams, their goalie did. (Argue that goalie is part of your defense all you want, once South and Bismarck both started just walking to the net they scored, that's just a coaching mistake on BHS/FSH's part)

The fact that you're putting it down as a fact that he will be the state leading scorer and Mr. Hockey in 2010 makes you arrogant AND ignorant. Although I think Jake has a great chance of winning it next year as long as he stays on his game, Peter Orson from South looks to be a contender. Whereas Douce had Crary, Orson didn't really have a standout on his line as I recall. If I were to put money down it'd be on one of these two versus a player from the west (probably Romanick? Don't know really). I see the East player winning it.

Quick question, are both Orson and Douce going to be captains next year? Although it's not a requirement, this is a big factor come decision time in my opinion. Being a captain is a big sign of leadership and would expect both players to have it come 2010.

as to your comment about orson not having a standout player on his line...werent you saying all year that he was playing on the best line in the state and they were all such a talented group of guys? plus all these offensive defensman south had, thats gonna help put up points for a forward also. red river didnt have as many offensive defensman as south did. so dont start saying BS like ladouceur had crary and orson had no one. they both had players to play with. and dont quote me on this but i heard there is no mr. hockey next year? has anyone else heard that?
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Go Sioux » Mon May 11, 2009 10:23 am

I would just like to say once again congratulations to RR for winning that state title. No offense to any other teams or the moderators intended so no need to delete this post. Just thought I'd congratulate the boys again!
Go Sioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 14>35 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 pm

dillseeds wrote:Dont call me arogant and ignorant when he led the state in scoring as a junior. If Mr. Hockey could go to a junior my vote as well as a majority of the other people in the state would've been for Jake. Ladouceur will be a captain for the Riders next year and might possibly lead them to yet another state title.

you have got to be kidding me. they are bigger longshots to win next year than they were this year.

you are correct in saying red river's D "held up" against EDC this year. thats the best they could do - hold up at best. have fun winnning state next year when the already porous defense is returning only one legitimate starter.

and there is no need to generalize the state of north dakota saying the majority would vote for ladeucer this year for mr. hockey. its not the "mr. who scored the most points this year" award. as long as malm is behind the bench ill never rule red river out but talent-wise they are not the strongest
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby dillseeds » Mon May 11, 2009 11:37 pm

It really must have been rough for you to watch Red River win it this year. Your obviously still bitter that they pulled it off this year. If you read my post you would realize that it said "might possibly" lead them to a state title next year, not exactly predicting it. Thank you for backing me up for saying that their defense held up against edc teams. It might have been "porous" but i dont see as to how that matters considering that the Riders have CHAMPIONSHIP rings on there fingers. Ladouceur will be Mr. Hockey next year with out a doubt regardless of linemates, and Chris Waind will be such a huge and powerful force that he'll be tested for steriods and other performance enhacing drugs on a daily basis.
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Tue May 12, 2009 9:17 am

red river only returned on defense men last year and they won it again...
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby Go Sioux » Tue May 12, 2009 2:29 pm

P4KNBD wrote:red river only returned on defense men last year and they won it again...

good point. They easily could win it next year.
Go Sioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 14>35 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 pm

dillseeds wrote:It really must have been rough for you to watch Red River win it this year. Your obviously still bitter that they pulled it off this year. If you read my post you would realize that it said "might possibly" lead them to a state title next year, not exactly predicting it. Thank you for backing me up for saying that their defense held up against edc teams. It might have been "porous" but i dont see as to how that matters considering that the Riders have CHAMPIONSHIP rings on there fingers. Ladouceur will be Mr. Hockey next year with out a doubt regardless of linemates, and Chris Waind will be such a huge and powerful force that he'll be tested for steriods and other performance enhacing drugs on a daily basis.

yes congratulations your school won the championship is it mandatory for you to restate that in every one of your posts? i would like to see one red river fan/player accept victory with humility (that would be a first) because im sure you had a lot to do with their victory from sitting in the stands.

P4KNBD wrote:red river only returned on defense men last year and they won it again...

i like how you dont mention anderson transferring from central and the move of howe from forward to defense. and just like this year, if they wanna be successful next year its gonnna have to be offensively
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Haven't posted here in a bit, incoming long post.
toews19 wrote:as to your comment about orson not having a standout player on his line...werent you saying all year that he was playing on the best line in the state and they were all such a talented group of guys?

No, I said he had the most experienced line, not the most talented. However, I think I also said that earlier in the year when he was on a line with two seniors, I think (can't remember for sure) he got switched with different line mates at the latter half of the year.

plus all these offensive defensman south had, thats gonna help put up points for a forward also. red river didnt have as many offensive defensman as south did. so dont start saying BS like ladouceur had crary and orson had no one. they both had players to play with.

Offensive defensemen are terrible points. I'd much rather have a single standout forward partner than two of the best offensive defensemen in the state on my line. The only way offensive defensemen generate a large amount of points for the forwards (this is, other than the defenseman himself) is by tips/rebounds and that requires you to pretty much camp out in front of the net. The fact is, scoring from the point is rare and most of the time it's pretty lucky. A goalie should make nearly all those saves especially without a screen/tip. Whereas Orson's linemates had 38 and 28 points to his 52. 4 of South's top 9 players in points were defensemen, and refer to my previous point as to why that matters. Ladoucer and Crary had 59/57 respectfully. When they didn't score a goal, they are assisting on 50% of the goals other players on the team had. Both of these players had a ridiculously high number of assists too, with Ladouceur having 11 more assists than the nearest player in the entire state in assists, and Crary with 7 more. I'm assuming Bancroft/Johnson switched off at some point during the year, but that line had 70% of their points nearly. What I'm getting at is, Orson pretty much did it on his own comparatively. Not saying Ladouceur won't get a lot of points next year, I'm sure he will. But that's a forwards job.

and dont quote me on this but i heard there is no mr. hockey next year? has anyone else heard that?

Last I heard there still will be, it's just between one east and one west player.

14>35 wrote:and there is no need to generalize the state of north dakota saying the majority would vote for ladeucer this year for mr. hockey. its not the "mr. who scored the most points this year" award.

People mistake it for this. However, it's actually just a simple vote by coaches and it really doesn't mean as much to the coaches as it does to the kids in most cases. It's pretty much whomever gets the most representation that morning. The 1 west 1 east candidate should make further voting a little better, however.

as long as malm is behind the bench ill never rule red river out but talent-wise they are not the strongest

They won in 07 with probably the best team, lost in 08 with far superior team and won in 09 with an inferior team. I don't know if it's Malm or the puck, but they find a way. I know the GFRR kids will continue to post how it's tradition and how much better they are than the rest of the state, but give it a rest. Maybe I should go get Bloomington Jefferson that manhandled them to post here, and they didn't make state in Minnesota. Have some respect for other teams when you post or don't post at all. (Not directed at you 14>35, to the others bragging themselves/teamates up)

dillseeds wrote:Ladouceur will be Mr. Hockey next year with out a doubt regardless of linemates, and Chris Waind will be such a huge and powerful force that he'll be tested for steriods and other performance enhacing drugs on a daily basis.

How do you expect me not to call you arrogant and ignorant when you make claims like these? Please go look up the definitions of the terms before you knee-jerk react to someone possibly judging you. Chris Waind is no Aaron Ness or Tyler Pitlick and although I'm sure he will do well I doubt he'll have the impact you describe. Same goes for LaDouceur and the same goes for Orson. Players can have a big impact, but I don't see any of these players scoring at will like standouts from years past. However, they're all young and offseason training and determination can go a long ways at this age.

They lost in 08. Saying 'again' is saying it like they back-to-backed, which they didn't. Saying that, they won a year where they had less experience and skill, that either says the state was down or they pulled through when they normally shouldn't have. (See Moorhead)

Go Sioux wrote:

good point. They easily could win it next year.

Just like they 'easily' won it this year. I guarantee you ask that tea- yourself if you were going to take it all after that Central game in EDC you would have been pretty far fetched on how to respond.

14>35 wrote:yes congratulations your school won the championship is it mandatory for you to restate that in every one of your posts? i would like to see one red river fan/player accept victory with humility (that would be a first) because im sure you had a lot to do with their victory from sitting in the stands.

Go easy on them, tiger. They become defensive when they're criticized and they need to reinforce themselves.
Anywho, ever school does it when they win. If South had won it this year, I guarantee there would be a group of South kids talking themselves up on how easy it was to walk through the state this year. Central, same thing. Bismarck, oh baby that would've shook up this board real good, and it would've happened if Bismarck could've kept their heads for one more game. It's disrespectful but it's competition and it'll always be on these and all boards, especially when people have the feeling they're anonymous (even when they're not (emails and IP addresses, hint hint). Some people don't realize after they won how improbable it really was. Take a look at it with pride, but not like you're the best thing since the invention of the wheel.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby PeopleRTalkin » Sun May 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Ok why hasnt any one commented about Devils Lake yet? I know they had a rough season but they return everyone. They were young but they can compete with any one if they want too. I see them as a top 3 team next year.
PeopleRTalkin
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Go Sioux » Mon May 25, 2009 1:42 pm

PeopleRTalkin wrote:Ok why hasnt any one commented about Devils Lake yet? I know they had a rough season but they return everyone. They were young but they can compete with any one if they want too. I see them as a top 3 team next year.

because their whole team was their goalie Freidig. If DL ever had a good game with a team, he was the reason for it. Without him they will suffer. They will continue to give up 40 shots a game and they dont have a goalie that can handle that like Freidig.
Go Sioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon May 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Go Sioux wrote:
PeopleRTalkin wrote:Ok why hasnt any one commented about Devils Lake yet? I know they had a rough season but they return everyone. They were young but they can compete with any one if they want too. I see them as a top 3 team next year.

because their whole team was their goalie Freidig. If DL ever had a good game with a team, he was the reason for it. Without him they will suffer. They will continue to give up 40 shots a game and they dont have a goalie that can handle that like Freidig.

I have to agree. Without Freidig I see DL staying in the bottom half of EDC, definitely not top 3 in the state. DL has always had a strong goalie in the past few years (Freidig, Groves) and that's what carried them. Unless they have another stand-out coming up, I see them getting toasted by the South/RR/Central teams during the regular season.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby PeopleRTalkin » Mon May 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Freidig was not the whole team. he did play good most of the time. but u gotta remember they had 4 seniors, 2 and a half juniors (one was suspended most of the year who isnt returning) and one freshmen while the rest were sophomores. so u can see they were very YOUNG. And with the young team they competed with the top schools for awhile until a goal killed them. but i think all the young kids and juniors from last yr will step up and make a statement.
PeopleRTalkin
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon May 25, 2009 10:24 pm

This is how DL fared against upper tier competition:

South
9-1 Loss (Says only 18 shots against... don't think that's right, was game in DL)
6-1 Loss (With 58 shots against)

Red River
7-1 Loss (42 Shots against)
7-2 Loss (53 shots against)

Central (Mind you this was definitely a defensive team)
5-0 Loss (53 Shots against)
7-1 Loss (Only 25 shots against this time, again in DL, dunno if they're recording stats wrong there)
11-1 Loss (47 shots against)

GPR (Weak in the conference this year and still beat DL up pretty bad)
7-3 Loss (47 shots)
5-0 Loss (41 shots)

All in all, against the top 4 in the EDC they went 0-9, and got out shot so badly that Wahp was even crying for them. Although they might have a shot at knocking off a severely crippled GPR team in a game next year (still doubtful), I still don't see them cracking top 4 EDC.
They may be young, but so are a lot of teams in the EDC. South and Bismarck are really the only teams losing a decent amount of Seniors. RR will get hit relatively hard with losing Meland and Crary, but they should be OK to slip into top 4 in EDC for sure.

On a tangent... Honestly, I'd love to see different teams competing in the EDC. If DL did better next year I'd be right there cheering for em with you, but I don't see it. It's simply refreshing to see teams outside of GF competing at a higher level like South and GPR have been doing lately. If anything, that's why I was disappointed South lost it this year, is because I thought they represented ND very well for a team not from Grand Forks. This goes for Bismarck as well, they were a great team, they just had penalty trouble. Physical and pretty skilled, they played solidly and could have competed in Minnesota if they improved their speed a bit. South's loss to RR and Central (twice) and Bismarck's loss to RR at the end of the year makes it seem a lot worse after that holiday tournament GPR/RR/Central went through. Although, Bloomington was a very strong team and you can't blame them for getting run up by them.

All in all, I still highly doubt teams outside of the top 4 will be touched. Next year these four will be South, Central, Red River and likely Bismarck instead of GPR. I'd focus on these four to represent our state, and hopefully they do it well.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby BTC » Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 pm

DL has no shot. But look out for West Fargo and Fargo North next year. I see one of those two teams to knock out GPR next year to go to state. The big three (RR, Ceneral, and South) shouldn't have a problem making it to state.
BTC
NDPreps Rookie

Postby redwings4life » Wed May 27, 2009 10:50 am

BTC wrote:DL has no shot. But look out for West Fargo and Fargo North next year. I see one of those two teams to knock out GPR next year to go to state. The big three (RR, Ceneral, and South) shouldn't have a problem making it to state.

West Fargo? North? really? i dont think they will have a chance at those three you posted up above.
redwings4life
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BTC » Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 pm

redwings4life wrote:
BTC wrote:DL has no shot. But look out for West Fargo and Fargo North next year. I see one of those two teams to knock out GPR next year to go to state. The big three (RR, Ceneral, and South) shouldn't have a problem making it to state.

West Fargo? North? really? i dont think they will have a chance at those three you posted up above.

As i said "The big three (RR, Ceneral, and South) shouldn't have a problem making it to state." With both WF and north almost making it to state this year and both schools only losing aboot 5 seniors (Labernik leaving might be a problem for north) and GPR losing basically their whole team, WF or north will take the 4 spot going into state next year.
BTC
NDPreps Rookie

Postby fshgirlshockey » Sun May 31, 2009 6:26 pm

I think south and central are gunna do really well this year. I know for sure you have to watch out for Sorenson, Orson, Stellrecht line for south. theses guys are good
fshgirlshockey
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:32 pm

BTC wrote:WF or north will take the 4 spot going into state next year.

I agree with this. It's not for certain, but there are a lot higher chances that WF/North will take 4th in EDC next year than GPR or any other team will. Obviously not certain as said, but likely. If I were to choose, I'd pick WF for sure. They seem pretty level and did fairly well this year as well.
Of course, I still don't see the three seed or the four seed competing with the top two seeds, but there's always a chance. (heck, they won it this year didn't they?)

fshgirlshockey wrote:I think south and central are gunna do really well this year. I know for sure you have to watch out for Sorenson, Orson, Stellrecht line for south. theses guys are good

Not saying they aren't going to be good, but these three didn't even play on the same line for South this last year. Plus, you aren't mentioning Hooey who had the third most points on the team as a defenseman. However, I did see he got drafted by the Wenatchee Wild in the paper a few weeks ago, meaning he'll have to decide whether the NAHL or another year of High School is better for him personally. Both of them have their positives and negatives.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby the freak » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:09 pm

no i think i wud hav to agree wit sauce hahaha :lol:
the freak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby king1869 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:29 am

he got injured before there first game.. and i think they started them three as a line the 1st game but sorenson left the ice early due to his injury. or else i bet they would of been playing together most of the year.
king1869
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyman10 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:28 pm

The only thing about South is that if Hooey leaves to play NAHL then they have no defensemen. Buchholz is a very good tendie, but if there is no one protecting him they will have a very rough season. You can't win games on offense alone.
hockeyman10
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:43 pm

hockeyman10 wrote:The only thing about South is that if Hooey leaves to play NAHL then they have no defensemen. Buchholz is a very good tendie, but if there is no one protecting him they will have a very rough season. You can't win games on offense alone.

Take this with a grain of salt, as it's not a very common or accepted prospect...

With or without Hooey I think South will do just fine. If South loses Hooey as a defenseman, I don't think they'll lose much of anything defensively, but lose a ton offensively. Buchholz, along with pretty much every other goalie out there, perform better when there are more shots, and as long as the rookie defensemen for South can simply stop the other teams from walking Buchholz, he'll do just as well or even better without Hooey, meaning their defense won't suffer. However, the offensive part will for sure. He's (Hooey) very aggressive (as you can tell from his point total alone) and South pretty much thrived off of the combination of their aggressive/passive defense combos and the Orson line scoring.

Take a look at statistics, when a team was doing well and getting a lot of shots against South, they were generally very low scoring games (meaning Scott played well, see the stats against Moorhead, and the first and EDC Central games), whereas when South was pretty much worked a team (See the first RR game, the second Central game, as well as the RR game at State), they were generally higher scoring on both sides because Buchholz got relatively few shots, and became unfocused. This isn't a shot at Buchholz, it happens to every goalie, and is exactly why Meland was playing out of his mind. Sure, goalies seem to get lucky in these games, but I attribute it to simply being more aware of what's going on because they're constantly being attacked.

This is getting pretty long winded for such a simple topic, but hopefully it makes sense. Pretty much if Hooey leaves, I only see South struggling offensively.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to EDC