State Tournament a Joke

Teams of the East

Re: State Tournament a Joke

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:15 pm

Comparing a ushl to a high school game is like comparing high school to bantams if you want to start comparing leagues

If you asked the majority of hockey players, particulary the ones out west, they would say they want to play in the rink that some of the best hockey players in the NHL played there collegeiate hockey at and they see it on tv every weekend the sioux are at home. To say you have played a game, at the ralph, on tv is osmething that many peopel don't get the chance to do.

Jw, how many locker rooms does the UPC have?

I talked to some coaches from the east region and id prolly say 3/4 of them ive talk to say state in grand forks, edc in fargo.

Also, when your high school team is in town, why not if you have time check out the 7 time d-1 hockey title team, one that you have growed up idolizing? I no the ralph gives thiese teams huge discounts if the ralph has room and the team has time...
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Why just we dont have every other sport at fargo then?

I knwo they get a share for football, Class A basketball, Class B basketball

heck, give fargo all the marquee events since they have all the nicest facilities

upc <The ralph

enough said!
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby fargohockey1093 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:18 pm

nothinghappend wrote:you must be from fargo. if you went to the state championship game last year you would have seen a full lower bowl. the up centers not even finished yet and there locker rooms have enough room in them to have a peewee team fill them up. and how can you compare a ushl hockey game to a random high school game somewhere from where ever that picture is from. and to really say the ralph isnt the best arena in the state you must have a serious problem

have you been there? the locker rooms are double and easily fit a high school team in them
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:19 pm

nothinghappend wrote:you must be from fargo. if you went to the state championship game last year you would have seen a full lower bowl. the up centers not even finished yet and there locker rooms have enough room in them to have a peewee team fill them up.

I was at the state championship game last year, and it was clearly not a full lower bowl. To fill just the lower bowl itself takes an attendance of something near 6,000 to 6,500 people, and it's pretty clear that they didn't reach that attendance last year. The locker rooms are far from small, they do fit USHL hockey teams in them just fine, and are perfect for High School Hockey. Last time I heard, you didn't need a jacuzzi in your locker room to make it a good locker room.

Also, meant to say it wasn't the best arena in the nation. The Engelstad is clearly the best arena in the state, and there's no competition for that. Let me quote you:
nothinghappend wrote:why would anyone want to take the pleasure away from kids playing in the ralph? its the best in the nation

nothinghappend wrote:and how can you compare a ushl hockey game to a random high school game somewhere from where ever that picture is from.

I used the USHL hockey game from the UP Center, because it's the only time it's been near capacity this year. The picture shows the environment that State would have yearly. That hockey game that I used to the other picture represents to me what I think state looks like every year. A large student section generally shows up for either team, but the stands are relatively sparse otherwise. That's a large crowd either way. I couldn't find a picture of an actual state championship game from ND on such short notice.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby FSHBruins10 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:20 pm

gfhockey wrote:Why just we dont have every other sport at fargo then?

heck, give fargo all the marquee events since they have all the nicest facilities

upc <The ralph

enough said!

ok, if you insist
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 pm

gfhockey wrote:Why just we dont have every other sport at fargo then?

upc <The ralph

I'm not proposing we have state in Fargo every year, in fact a rotation would be more than enough for EDC/State. The fact that you're complaining that Fargo gets a lot of state events because it has better venues is completely contradictory when you mention that the Ralph is a nicer arena than the UPC.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby fargohockey1093 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:22 pm

gfhockey wrote:Comparing a ushl to a high school game is like comparing high school to bantams if you want to start comparing leagues

If you asked the majority of hockey players, particulary the ones out west, they would say they want to play in the rink that some of the best hockey players in the NHL played there collegeiate hockey at and they see it on tv every weekend the sioux are at home. To say you have played a game, at the ralph, on tv is osmething that many peopel don't get the chance to do.

Jw, how many locker rooms does the UPC have?

I talked to some coaches from the east region and id prolly say 3/4 of them ive talk to say state in grand forks, edc in fargo.

Also, when your high school team is in town, why not if you have time check out the 7 time d-1 hockey title team, one that you have growed up idolizing? I no the ralph gives thiese teams huge discounts if the ralph has room and the team has time...

i would have to agree however the size of the ralph is pushing it for a high school game. the upc has atleast 4 double wide locker rooms. probably about 8-10 regular sized ones
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:24 pm

The ralph and the upc are obviously not two rinks to be compared $104 million or about 15 million for the main upc rink?
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby nothinghappend » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:25 pm

haha you say when UND plays there they have a hard time filling it. well if you dont count the people in the rink then yeah they cant fill it up but its sold out every game.

To post on this website you should need to know more about hockey(highhockey), maybe take a hockey IQ test, i dont know im just throwing it out there.
nothinghappend

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:26 pm

gfhockey wrote:If you asked the majority of hockey players, particulary the ones out west, they would say they want to play in the rink that some of the best hockey players in the NHL played there collegeiate hockey at and they see it on tv every weekend the sioux are at home. To say you have played a game, at the ralph, on tv is osmething that many peopel don't get the chance to do.

As the State tournament is right now, most teams "out west" as you have described, get one, yes 1, single game in the Ralph Engelstad. The arena is also generally completely empty and is not televised. After this, they ship them over to the Pur Pur for the consolation games.

gfhockey wrote:Also, when your high school team is in town, why not if you have time check out the 7 time d-1 hockey title team, one that you have growed up idolizing? I no the ralph gives thiese teams huge discounts if the ralph has room and the team has time...

It's pretty sad when our College teams don't have the respect to allow the High Schoolers of our own state to get to know them without paying, don't you think? Especially if this is a state tournament environment. That alone would make the meeting lose its value to me, if I was paying to see a player that was once a high schooler just like I was. I've also never heard of this actually happening, or it wasn't such a big deal that they mentioned it.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:27 pm

I don't know if hockeyhigh said UND has a hard time filling it but when scalpers are getting almost triple face value (gopher series) and almost double face value (denver series), UND does NOT have a hard time fillign it. The waiting list for season tickets is about 65. The suite waiting list is 15. THe ralph will be full for years to come (barring any holidays)
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:28 pm

nothinghappend wrote:haha you say when UND plays there they have a hard time filling it. well if you dont count the people in the rink then yeah they cant fill it up but its sold out every game.

To post on this website you should need to know more about hockey(highhockey), maybe take a hockey IQ test, i dont know im just throwing it out there.

I was talking about the High School hockey games, and if you want to get personal about it, I'd challenge your High School hockey knowledge any day, North Dakota, Minnesota, whatever. However, before you challenge me on that, I suggest you take some reading comprehension tests and pass those first.

See:
HockeyHigh wrote:I was at the state championship game last year, and it was clearly not a full lower bowl. To fill just the lower bowl itself takes an attendance of something near 6,000 to 6,500 people, and it's pretty clear that they didn't reach that attendance last year. The locker rooms are far from small, they do fit USHL hockey teams in them just fine, and are perfect for High School Hockey. Last time I heard, you didn't need a jacuzzi in your locker room to make it a good locker room.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Timmay07 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 pm

The UP Center is a Joke, they cant even get a full house for a USHL, I was at the Force vs. Lincoln stars game on Sunday, and I think there have been more people at a Central/Red River vs. Wahpeton at the Purpur than the UP Center. Maybe most people were at Church in fargo on Sunday!
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
gfhockey wrote:If you asked the majority of hockey players, particulary the ones out west, they would say they want to play in the rink that some of the best hockey players in the NHL played there collegeiate hockey at and they see it on tv every weekend the sioux are at home. To say you have played a game, at the ralph, on tv is osmething that many peopel don't get the chance to do.

As the State tournament is right now, most teams "out west" as you have described, get one, yes 1, single game in the Ralph Engelstad. The arena is also generally completely empty and is not televised. After this, they ship them over to the Pur Pur for the consolation games.

gfhockey wrote:Also, when your high school team is in town, why not if you have time check out the 7 time d-1 hockey title team, one that you have growed up idolizing? I no the ralph gives thiese teams huge discounts if the ralph has room and the team has time...

It's pretty sad when our College teams don't have the respect to allow the High Schoolers of our own state to get to know them without paying, don't you think? Especially if this is a state tournament environment. That alone would make the meeting lose its value to me, if I was paying to see a player that was once a high schooler just like I was. I've also never heard of this actually happening, or it wasn't such a big deal that they mentioned it.

College kids have to pay to get in the state tourney and i think most high school teams do fundraising in advance if they are planning a trip.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby nothinghappend » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 pm

lol this is a joke
nothinghappend

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:31 pm

Wow, seems like a hot topic tonight.

Timmay07 wrote:The UP Center is a Joke, they cant even get a full house for a USHL, I was at the Force vs. Lincoln stars game on Sunday, and I think there have been more people at a Central/Red River vs. Wahpeton at the Purpur than the UP Center. Maybe most people were at Church in fargo on Sunday!

I don't see how the Force having trouble filling their arena to capacity has anything to do with the High School tournament. In fact, if anything it supports the fact that the arena is plenty large to host a title game.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm

gfhockey wrote:College kids have to pay to get in the state tourney and i think most high school teams do fundraising in advance if they are planning a trip.

I was saying that it's a shame that the UND Players (not college kids) would take money from the high school teams in order for the high schoolers to meet them personally. As a college player, I would rather have these simply kids looking up to me rather than having to pay just to talk to me.
Also, to a college team, it's great for there persona to do this voluntarily.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 pm

To fill an arena is all about where its at

GFC vs GFRR is always gunna be a huge fill in grand forks, not so much in fargo
(id say 80% of the time a gf team is in the title game)
A gpr in the title game is always gunna fill good in GF, not so much in fargo
(id say gpr and fs are tied for being in title games) I DIDNT LOOK UP STATS JUST USING MY BRAIN FOR THESE

A fargo south-north in a title game would be crappy in GRand forks but awesome in fargo
(how often does this happen?

Especially when fargos new shcool is going to come in and take some players away, that lessens the strength of both FS and FN while gfc gfrr gpr all stay the same
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Timmay07 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:35 pm

Maybe the out of shape Force Dancers keep the fans away from the UP Center!
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:40 pm

gfhockey wrote:To fill an arena is all about where its at
GFC vs GFRR is always gunna be a huge fill in grand forks, not so much in fargo
(id say 80% of the time a gf team is in the title game)
A gpr in the title game is always gunna fill good in GF, not so much in fargo
(id say gpr and fs are tied for being in title games) I DIDNT LOOK UP STATS JUST USING MY BRAIN FOR THESE
A fargo south-north in a title game would be crappy in GRand forks but awesome in fargo
(how often does this happen?
Especially when fargos new shcool is going to come in and take some players away, that lessens the strength of both FS and FN while gfc gfrr gpr all stay the same

I have the feeling that the attendance would hardly drop for schools like GPR, GFC, and GFRR had the state title game been in Fargo rather than Grand Forks. Hockey is far more important to individuals there than it is in Fargo, therefore they are more willing to make a longer trip. However, the arena would seem far, far, far more filled in the UP Center even if it did have less people.
As for the split, it will only effect Fargo South and Fargo Davies, Fargo North takes no part in the split and will be unaffected.
As for interest in Fargo, I believe that the Squirt International tournament is near the same weekend as State hockey in ND, this would also add a HUGE amount to the draw to the game (Hundred some squirt teams is a lot of people).
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Timmay07 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:43 pm

Well lets just end this argument and say that the State hockey tournament will never be in fargo, but maybe the EDC tournament will be.
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:44 pm

If its far more important here, why not keep it here? (i know i know, you want a better atmorsphere) but Grand Forks is known nationaly for hockey, Hence being on espn2 4 years in a row... I remember reading articles in the usa today about grand forks being called title town or something to that factor. IF the state tourney would be moved to fargo, it would do good its first year ( like the force) but i think after the wow facotr would wear off when the bball fans of fargo that went would be bored with it and not go to it agian

I hate to say it and hope it doesnt happen but i think liek all the other fargo ushl teams, the force will have a tough time keeping 3200 fans a game in its seats in the future.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:52 pm

Timmay07 wrote:Well lets just end this argument and say that the State hockey tournament will never be in fargo, but maybe the EDC tournament will be.

EDC Tournament has already been schedule for Fargo next year, and for the 2011 as well.

gfhockey wrote:If its far more important here, why not keep it here? (i know i know, you want a better atmorsphere) but Grand Forks is known nationaly for hockey, Hence being on espn2 4 years in a row... I remember reading articles in the usa today about grand forks being called title town or something to that factor. IF the state tourney would be moved to fargo, it would do good its first year ( like the force) but i think after the wow facotr would wear off when the bball fans of fargo that went would be bored with it and not go to it agian.

Grand Forks has won like 3/4 of the hockey state titles in tournament history, of course they call it title town. They had little to no competition between anyone but Central and Red River for a good 30-40 years. At least now other teams are beginning to improve and challenge this "perennial powers". I do believe the individual fans are far more devoted in Grand Forks, however I think that making the state tournament more available to other cities than just Grand Forks would allow other towns to become more involved in their hockey and begin to like it far more. A lasting impression only develops after success or utter failure. If you want hockey to expand past Grand Forks, this would help that. I know for sure that the devoted fans from Grand Forks will still show up in full force. This is a completely city relevant topic though.

If you're looking to please the kids, the basic argument is between a packed environment or a college arena. I dare not say beautiful not because the Engelstad isn't incredible, it is, but the UPC is far from being an eyesore as well; it is also a very pretty arena. This argument is completely up to preference, however, and is basically a moot point to discuss. I prefer the environment over a giant rink, but that's me.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:55 pm

I think we must agree to disagree here. I think most kids are going to get pleased when they strap on the pads and skate out on a NHL size arena 104 million dollar arena that there favorite pros (toews, parises, stafford.etc...) have played on and there facorite current hockey players on. I bet most kids have gone to more sioux games this year then to a force game.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 am

gfhockey wrote:I think we must agree to disagree here.

I'd have to agree to agreeing to disagree on the subject. It would all be solved if Grand Forks was a suburb of Fargo (like 5 miles away), and we'd get some impressive attendance numbers like Minnesota does.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to EDC