MIDSEASON STANDINGS AND PROJECTIONS

Teams of the East

MIDSEASON STANDINGS AND PROJECTIONS

Postby ctrain1369 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 pm

What are the rankings as of now and what are your projections for the end of the season?
ctrain1369
NDPreps Reserve

Re: MIDSEASON STANDINGS AND PROJECTIONS

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:32 pm

I'll post what I think matters as of state competition:

Prediction as of 1/13/09
1. Fargo South
2. Grand Forks Central
3. Grafton / Park River
4/5. Bismarck High
4/5. Grand Forks Red River

I could see 4 switching either way (With 5th), as the 4th in the East plays the 1st in the West, which would be those two seeds between RR and Bismarck. Whoever wins that game would take their respective places.

However, statistically it's (As of 1/13/09):
1. Bismarck High
2. Fargo South
3. Grand Forks Central
4. Grand Forks Red River
5. Grafton / Park River

This of course, is going by who has beaten who so far this season. I don't think Bismarck will be knocked off their high horse until they get to state, unless they face some more east competition, which I haven't seen on their schedule.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:57 pm

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think Bismarck may have a chance against the east at state. I think they will win their first game and may very well get further than we think. Again, I can't believe I'm saying it.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 pm

central hockey fan wrote:I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think Bismarck may have a chance against the east at state. I think they will win their first game and may very well get further than we think. Again, I can't believe I'm saying it.

Were you at the Bismarck/South game? I'm assuming that's what you're basing your assumption on.

If South plays like they did against Bismarck, I'm assuming they'll get dropped by the 4th team in the west in the first round of state. South looked absolutely terrible in that game, and I'm not even exaggerating.
If Bismarck plays like how they did in that game, I'd put them at 4th or 5th in the state. I don't know how well they did in the game against South, whether they played well or not though...
It wasn't a very good game to watch, it really looked like a Bantam game, and that's far from Varsity hockey... I'm very skeptical about the game itself and still wonder what was going on. South seems to have lost a lot of the momentum they had at the start of the season against Moorhead and White Bear.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby heisman10 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:50 pm

i think that grafton is overrated this year. ya they had alot of kids come back from last years very good state championship team but they are not doing so well this year. i think i saw in the paper the other day they are below .500 but im not completely positive. but if they are below .500 they shouldnt be considered as a top team in the state at this point. they got blown out by south and lost to central as well as red river. they are pretty overrated at this point in the season...
heisman10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:19 pm

heisman10 wrote:i think that grafton is overrated this year. ya they had alot of kids come back from last years very good state championship team but they are not doing so well this year. i think i saw in the paper the other day they are below .500 but im not completely positive. but if they are below .500 they shouldnt be considered as a top team in the state at this point. they got blown out by south and lost to central as well as red river. they are pretty overrated at this point in the season...

They're 6-7 overall, I believe. It's also a tribute to the fact that they also play a lot more competition than most of the state, excluding the Grand Forks teams and South. The Grand Forks teams and Grafton have struggled against their out of state competition so far this year, South has done very well.

I wouldn't say they're overrated, they're being outmatched. Last year Grafton had a scoring line that kept the pressure up in the offensive zone the entire time they were out there, and their second line simply got garbage goals and played a defensive zone similar to North or Wahpeton, by filling the slot with players and blocking a lot of shots. By doing this Grafton kept the pressure off their weak defense and a lack of depth so that their first line could do the heavy lifting. With the loss of that second line and Demers (scored half of Grafton's goals, and assisted on the rest, basically), it's really crippled their team. They need to find a depth to play with, or else they're going to struggle against the teams that are capable of having 2 heavy scoring lines like South and Central.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby slapshot » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:35 pm

I agree Bismarck High is going to be a tough team to beat in first round of State Tourney. But as far as the edc goes I believe any team can win on any given night. South will probably be #1 seed. After that no one knows. There have already been several 1 goal games that could have went either way. The rest ef the edc is up for grabs!
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Almost all the big EDC games have been one goal games, so that's a tribute to your point. I'd have to agree with your prediction, but I have the feeling it'll end up as I expected, with South in first, Central in Second, Red River in third and Grafton in fourth. Grafton has fallen a bit lately.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby FSHBruins10 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:28 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
central hockey fan wrote:I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think Bismarck may have a chance against the east at state. I think they will win their first game and may very well get further than we think. Again, I can't believe I'm saying it.

Were you at the Bismarck/South game? I'm assuming that's what you're basing your assumption on.

If South plays like they did against Bismarck, I'm assuming they'll get dropped by the 4th team in the west in the first round of state. South looked absolutely terrible in that game, and I'm not even exaggerating.
If Bismarck plays like how they did in that game, I'd put them at 4th or 5th in the state. I don't know how well they did in the game against South, whether they played well or not though...
It wasn't a very good game to watch, it really looked like a Bantam game, and that's far from Varsity hockey... I'm very skeptical about the game itself and still wonder what was going on. South seems to have lost a lot of the momentum they had at the start of the season against Moorhead and White Bear.

youre right they did lose a lot of that momentum, but i believe they are actually a stronger team now. during moorhead and WBL, only a certain amount of players from south would play, or play together well. with benson's changes (which is still questionable) any player on south can play on the same line together. This team has a lot of scorers and THE BEST defense in the state. hands down.
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby central hockey fan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:06 pm

FSHBruins10 wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:

youre right they did lose a lot of that momentum, but i believe they are actually a stronger team now. during moorhead and WBL, only a certain amount of players from south would play, or play together well. with benson's changes (which is still questionable) any player on south can play on the same line together. This team has a lot of scorers and THE BEST defense in the state. hands down.

I hate to say this but it is very easy to well...hate is a strong word but it is easy to strongly dislike the South team at this point. From what I have seen they are very frustrating to play against. They make the most of their scoring opportunities and they are just down right irritating in their own zone at times. I will caution the South fans though, its not how you start the season but how you finish. Just remember what happened to RR last year.

Here is how I see the EDC:

South: Very opportunistic but will they be there at the end??
Central: Gaining chemistry, they are the deepest team in the state but will it matter?
RR: Dangerous, lacks some depth but not nearly as shallow as Grafton.
Grafton: Coach Haugland has his hands full trying to manufacture wins with the kids he has.
North/DL: Can either of these teams catch Grafton?? No, no way.
The other three teams aren't in the picture. Not being mean here, just the facts based on the standings.

Games to look forward to:
2/14 GFC at South and GPR at RR

This is the last night of games for the year and the EDC seeding won't be a done deal until the smoke clears. Man I love this game!
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 pm

central hockey fan wrote:I hate to say this but it is very easy to well...hate is a strong word but it is easy to strongly dislike the South team at this point. From what I have seen they are very frustrating to play against. They make the most of their scoring opportunities and they are just down right irritating in their own zone at times. I will caution the South fans though, its not how you start the season but how you finish. Just remember what happened to RR last year.

Here is how I see the EDC:

South: Very opportunistic but will they be there at the end??
Central: Gaining chemistry, they are the deepest team in the state but will it matter?
RR: Dangerous, lacks some depth but not nearly as shallow as Grafton.
Grafton: Coach Haugland has his hands full trying to manufacture wins with the kids he has.
North/DL: Can either of these teams catch Grafton?? No, no way.
The other three teams aren't in the picture. Not being mean here, just the facts based on the standings.

Games to look forward to:
2/14 GFC at South and GPR at RR

This is the last night of games for the year and the EDC seeding won't be a done deal until the smoke clears. Man I love this game!

South does what it has to do to win games. I will be anxious to see if Central has what it takes to beat South in their next meeting. Should be a good battle for the top spot in the East. Not sure how I would argue for or against either of them as they are 2 very good teams. The rest of the EDC....a step behind at this point in the season.

GFRR/G-PR-It all depends on which team shows up on any given day. Red River won the 1st game in OT, should be a great rematch at the end of the season. Most likely taking home the 3rd and 4th spots for state, but anything can happen.
The rest
Devils Lake-2-4-1 in 7 EDC games. Beat Shanley and Wahpeton, tied North.
Fargo North-Both 2-4-1 in 7 EDC games. Beat Wahpeton and Devils Lake, Tied Devils Lake.
Shanley-2-3 in 5 EDC games. Beat Wahpeton 2 times. Shanley and West Fargo have played the fewest EDC games.
West Fargo-1-4 in 5 EDC games. Beat North, have not played Shanley, Wahpeton, or Devils Lake yet. Based on comparisons, could be wins, could move them up the standings.
Wahpeton-0-6 in 6 EDC games. 2 9th grade goalies, could be a long year but hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel for the Blades.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to EDC