Roseau vs. Red River

Teams of the East

Roseau vs. Red River

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Possibly the two best teams from each state are playing tonight.... Last i heard Roseau tied it 1-1 with 24 seconds left.. Game is still in progress....
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Roseau vs. Red River

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Roseau beats Red River 2-1 in Overtime. Sounded like a great game.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 pm

Was a doozy, RR only had to cling to their lead of 2 periods for 23 more seconds to win it, but choked and let Roseau take over.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:12 pm

I wouldn't say they choked, but I did think the terrible penalty call to put RR down two men was ridiculous especially at home. Congratulations to the referee he must have thought that the 3000 people that were at the Purper Arena came to watch him ref. Absolute terrible call to make at that point. Took the game away from the kids. YOU DON'T MAKE THAT CALL AT THAT POINT!!
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:25 am

Choke?? You've got to be kidding me!!! Obviously you did not go to the game. They controlled the majority of the game, with the exception of a few minutes here and there throughout. A "WEAK" penalty call with a minute to go put Roseau on the PP. Congrats to Roseau for being able to score on the 6 on 4. If only the Red River kid who got 3 breakaways could have scored on 1 of them..
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 am

dont' turn this into a slam fest on refs or it will be locked in a heartbeat.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:55 am

Ok- ok-- GFRR played very well.
Roseau was less than impressive(especially in the first two periods)
I attended (as did many)--long, long drive home in not so nice weather.......

what I noticed was that GFRR played with real emotion--afetr the bouncing/misplayed dump in--- GOAL.
that was a change right there.
Roseau was a little to easy going int he first two periods. kind of like-- well this is justa ND team and we are the Defending State AA Chumps from MN-- I mean Champs....oops--
they did turn up the heat in the 3rd..... Ness can play... flat out....
But he alos is on the ice a ton and is skating on his tongue in the late minutes-- good thing he got a penalty late in the 3rd-- (that is when RR had their chance to drive a stake into the Rams--but didn't)--

I think the better team did win the game. They did win--
but a great effort by all in that one...

hope to see more of those soon..
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JGFan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:02 am

This is not a "ref bash".
That really was a terrible call.

The call was holding on RR, a really difficult one to see.

The puck was gliding down the boards out of GF defensive side, with roseau D chasing it slowly. The RR forward trying to overtake him to get to the puck was obstructed by the Roseau D (not playing the puck) but pushing the RR player away from the boards about 10 feet out onto the ice. To make THAT call (holding vs RR) at such a crucial time in the game was really a bad one. To me, Roseau's D was clearly interfering with RR forward, pushed his man away from the puck going down the boards.
Should have been a "no call" or vs Roseau if any call....

It looked to me like RR really controlled the game for the most part (I have no "vested interest" in either team, just a fan who went to see a great game) but saw it end by poor ref call- kind of spoiled it).

But give roseau credit- they made that gift opportunity pay off, and really worked it hard in OT to win.
All in all it was a really great game to watch!
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:57 pm

JGfan-- good call--
Reffing is all subjective. they have guidlines--but what they see is what they see-- not we see all the time.

It was a good game. glad it went into OT-- more good hockey--

Drop the puck...

hey composite schedule shows GFRR playing Fargo South at South Sat. night--- that has the potential to be a burner too.
Will try to get the wife to go shopping in Fargo that eve-- Best game on the docket for that night.

Agreed?
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Anyone see what Malm said in the herald today? He really called out the refs

You know it was a bad call when Scott Oliver, the roseau coach, was on the news saying that they got really lucky with that call and stole one from RR. He also said the RR is probably the best team they will face this year unless someone in MN improves.

Rumor is that Spivey aka red beard is on probabiton now for reffing and won't be allowed to ref any more RR games.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Reminder from the moderator - this is not the place to spread rumors. Wait until you have facts.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldSchool » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:44 pm

gfhockey wrote:Anyone see what Malm said in the herald today? He really called out the refs

You know it was a bad call when Scott Oliver, the roseau coach, was on the news saying that they got really lucky with that call and stole one from RR. He also said the RR is probably the best team they will face this year unless someone in MN improves.

Rumor is that Spivey aka red beard is on probabiton now for reffing and won't be allowed to ref any more RR games.

Agreed....gfhockey what are you trying to do here? That is ridiculous!!! First of all Spivey is not red beard, and secondly Spivey didn't make the call. Way to try and look important though.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportshound » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Don't bash the refs--- they see what they see and call it that way.
subjective to a point.
they have rules to follow-- and try their best I am sure....

let's get off the refs so things can be about the players the games and the scores.

RR lost--so what! they lost to the #1 team in MN Not to bad either-- it was in OT!

Say yeh for ND hockey..... good for the state maybe ND can get a little deserved respect from playing tough hockey..,
We all know our kids can compete at the level of MN-- Just not all of them and we are not as deep as the State of MN-- but we also were not a State in the union before them either.. we have trailed MN every step.
I look at that game a positive for all.....
Way to go GFRR! Go ND hockey!
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Nice post Sportshound! Way to go!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportshound » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:15 am

hinsa-- you know it and I know it---
You can't play the game without refs...... and If things get worse there will not be any refs, that want to do Hs games....
the sad fact is the state seems to be lacking younger officials, to replace the older ones, and that means you have the same guys for almost every game.
And they get over-used, and that has them making some mistakes in their judgement.
Not their fault completely........
We need good younger refs, to replenish the system..... I have seen some along the way in the state.
But very few.
It isn't easy to do that job, let me tell you. but good ones are needed all over the state.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Absolutely in agreement with you Sportshound. We need more young referees entering the game in all sports. Not sure how we accomplish that....
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Return to EDC