Teams of the East

Shanley Deacons

Postby Knight55 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:41 am

Do they have a chance?
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Shanley Deacons

Postby Knight55 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:44 am

Shanley beat Fargo North tonight 7-2. They have lost to bothe Devils Lake and Grafton 6-2 while giving up leads. State? Maybe? The way that team has come together and the play of Opheim in the net, I believe they can compete with Devils Lake, Central, Grafton, South, and the rest of the EDC. Call me crazy but I don't think Shanley can even be considered to be the laughing stock of the EDC anymore. It looks like they could put up a good fight at EDC and could end up state bound.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:50 am

Knight55 wrote:Shanley beat Fargo North tonight 7-2. They have lost to bothe Devils Lake and Grafton 6-2 while giving up leads. State? Maybe? The way that team has come together and the play of Opheim in the net, I believe they can compete with Devils Lake, Central, Grafton, South, and the rest of the EDC. Call me crazy but I don't think Shanley can even be considered to be the laughing stock of the EDC anymore. It looks like they could put up a good fight at EDC and could end up state bound.

Thanks for the update! Rumor was a handful of players who were "Shanley bound" transferred up to Fargo North this year. Maybe they jumped the gun on the program too soon?? I would not put them in the same level as the top tier teams in the state, but if they can continue to have solid efforts on the ice, they will earn their spot just as the other teams do! It is always good to see a team start to make the up-swing. Hopefully that is the case for Shanley and not just a case of 1 team playing well and the other not so well. We will see how Shanley fares the remainder of the season.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Hmm sounds like the Faithful(yes - a pun on the Catholic school thing--hahaha)-- lost faith and transfered to North, instead of sticking with their friends at Shanley.

i see thomas is getting some points. My source says he plays a whole ton of minutes, so he should be getting pts.
North is NOT strong, in fact, I see it as if GFC hadn't lost to them, North would be looking at the play in game possibly(unless they can beat Wahpeton--maybe, maybe not).

shanley beating North 7-2 a little surprise, but I would have picked that(not the score) maybe 3-2 or something.
As for shanley heading up to the top of the EDC?? hold your horses-- they haven't beat anyone tough, and have to play South yet and return play with DL, and some others.
do all the teams play Shanley for 4 pts?? I think North plays them again-sometime.
GFRR, south play only one game vs. Wahp and Shanley, but do others play 4 pt games also??? Someone will let us know.

good to see Shanley winning a few games, but they are not up in the top end and maybe some think they can run at EDC and make state-- I do not think that is in the cards this year or even in the next three years(I may be wrong, but that is what I think).....

West is going to heat up as is the East, now that the holidays are over-- and some teams wavering on the cusp of bad seasons have come around to play some good hockey(ie: South). Now the fun begins--

Mandan keeps rolling, BHS is running high, williston could be heating up--
In the east-- GPR tough guys, GFRR, GFC, SOUTH, and Shanley?? who will take home the prize?
who will make it to state and make noise?
my picks from earlier looked like I might have been wrong-- now they are shaping up to where I believed them to be.
IT will be a fun two months starting NOW! Drop the puck--let's play!
GO ND HOCKEY!
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I think Sportshound will be going crazy this upcoming week. All the games he's so excited about. :lol:

Bismarck High at Williston 7:30 PM
Devils Lake at Fargo North 7:30
Grafton / Park River at Grand Forks Red River 7:30 pm
Fargo South at Grand Forks Red River 7:30 pm
Grand Forks Central at Grafton / Park River 7:30 pm
Devils Lake at Fargo South 7:30 PM

Likely see what teams are the real deal in the upcoming week.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby EDC » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:20 pm

And the Forum won't cover any of them!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby LBL » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:28 pm

EDC wrote:And the Forum won't cover any of them!

When there are potential verbal commitments that could be given to NDSU by a running back from somewhere in Arkansas, which in turn creates a two-story, front-page section about how this would effect the Bison's play-action game, something has to give. Combo that with Moorhead hockey and any North Dakota hockey is pretty much out of the question. They only have 43 people on staff in the sports department - how much can you really expect that many dozens of people to do. :roll:
LBL

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:31 am

A decent story on a ND high school game more than once per year would be nice though.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Knight55 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:51 am

Sportshound wrote:Hmm sounds like the Faithful(yes - a pun on the Catholic school thing--hahaha)-- lost faith and transfered to North, instead of sticking with their friends at Shanley.

i see thomas is getting some points. My source says he plays a whole ton of minutes, so he should be getting pts.
North is NOT strong, in fact, I see it as if GFC hadn't lost to them, North would be looking at the play in game possibly(unless they can beat Wahpeton--maybe, maybe not).

shanley beating North 7-2 a little surprise, but I would have picked that(not the score) maybe 3-2 or something.
As for shanley heading up to the top of the EDC?? hold your horses-- they haven't beat anyone tough, and have to play South yet and return play with DL, and some others.
do all the teams play Shanley for 4 pts?? I think North plays them again-sometime.
GFRR, south play only one game vs. Wahp and Shanley, but do others play 4 pt games also??? Someone will let us know.

good to see Shanley winning a few games, but they are not up in the top end and maybe some think they can run at EDC and make state-- I do not think that is in the cards this year or even in the next three years(I may be wrong, but that is what I think).....

West is going to heat up as is the East, now that the holidays are over-- and some teams wavering on the cusp of bad seasons have come around to play some good hockey(ie: South). Now the fun begins--

Mandan keeps rolling, BHS is running high, williston could be heating up--
In the east-- GPR tough guys, GFRR, GFC, SOUTH, and Shanley?? who will take home the prize?
who will make it to state and make noise?
my picks from earlier looked like I might have been wrong-- now they are shaping up to where I believed them to be.
IT will be a fun two months starting NOW! Drop the puck--let's play!
GO ND HOCKEY!

I'm not saying they will be in the top of the EDC just saying they have a fighting chance. and Thomas plays quite a bit...but isn't that what all teams do with their good players. The kid has quite a few goals, like 12...that takes more than just playing time. The EDC will be unpredictable like always...i'm just saying their are some new teams in that running with a chance.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:06 am

OK So scoring at a pace of 12 goals-- is playing quite a bit.
I guess they use their top guns every other shift. And he is OK good.(my sources say)-- I have only seen him once this year.
AND Yes Hockey High-- I am in heaven checking sources(good ones too-- they have a good eye on hockey)-- The games coming up and or already played like today/tonight-- are special.

I love this time of year......

I hear that the Spoliers gave RR a tussle tonight. Sounded like it could have gotten ugly but you know those spoliers always fight back tough. RR wins 5-4 (after GPR took a 4-3 lead)---
RR not unstoppable, they could run hard for the tape and like last year have some hick-ups later??? maybe...
South Beat WF 5-3. I hear that Groth again looked like the best player on the ice(again-sources say he has been playing excellent--plus when I saw him play in Rochester he was all that too).
But South played all 4 lines again.
Groth with two goals(1 shorty) after WF scored first in the 1st period.
My scout at that game said That some weak netminding by South(or maybe a little less focused-since not many shots came his way), coupled with a multitude of penalties called on South ,made them play shorthanded most of the 3 periods.
Plus a tyrate by Mcbain(who got tossed) didn't help.
He had a goal
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Knight55 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:53 am

I've seen Shanley play a few times....they definitly run 3 lines and sometimes throw a 4th line in there...and games are 51 minutes so if you run three lines thats 17 minutes a game...so he scores about a goal a game....thats not a ridiculous pace. They also have started there back up goalie in a few games who no offense is no good.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Checked the Sources and they say Shanbley doesn't even have a 4th line-- that can play.
ANyway-- They'll run into the tough teams and have some trouble, I think.

Side note to the South vs. WF game-- News article has:
Groth 2g/1a figured in on South's first 3 goals.
Huguelet 1g, Mauch 1a
Powers 1g, McBain 1g
Burdick 1a, Wagner 1a.

WF scoring- Smith 1g, Lester 1g, Holm 1g

I think things keep pointing to that Groth kid as the leader of the South Bruins-- Thought that before the season too.
He has some good credentials.
As far as seniors for the state:proving their worth as Mr. Hockey candidates
East standouts-
Meland-RR
Schaefer-RR
Groth- South
Out West-- The guys standing out as leaders--
Seeburg- BHS
Martin-Mandan
Rehak- Williston

Still a ton of games to be played-but it is good so far
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Shanley Is looking like they needed the head coach to retire to spur some hope.

They beat Mandan in a close game in Fargo before Christmas, That was-I hear a throw away game for Mandan. (as stated before)-- that could be the game that stands out as a push in the direction for Shanley's recent up swing.

I still say they lose to South, GPR, maybe even WF in upcoming weeks.
they still struggle to make a run in EDC-- with the likes of RR, GFC, GPR, South, DL-- they will have to upset one maybe two of these teams to get through EDC and to state. That will not happen(not this year-- maybe in 3-4 years)
Just my thoughts, and that is what these posts are for right? thoughts....
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lucky7 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Sportshound...I think you may be the parent of a player from Fargo South...possibly Groth?
lucky7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brownbomber » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:05 pm

[quote="Sportshound"]Checked the Sources and they say Shanbley doesn't even have a 4th line-- that can play.
ANyway-- They'll run into the tough teams and have some trouble, I think.

Side note to the South vs. WF game-- News article has:
Groth 2g/1a figured in on South's first 3 goals.
Huguelet 1g, Mauch 1a
Powers 1g, McBain 1g
Burdick 1a, Wagner 1a.

WF scoring- Smith 1g, Lester 1g, Holm 1g

I think things keep pointing to that Groth kid as the leader of the South Bruins-- Thought that before the season too.
He has some good credentials.
As far as seniors for the state:proving their worth as Mr. Hockey candidates
East standouts-
Meland-RR
Schaefer-RR
Groth- South
Out West-- The guys standing out as leaders--
Seeburg- BHS
Martin-Mandan
Rehak- Williston

GP G A PTS P PIM
7 2 3 5 7 30.I dont know if mr. martin is having a mr. hockey type year. lucky 7 might be on to something. maybe? i would see where he gets that connection by all your posts, maybe he thinks thats who you are idk.
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:23 pm

Sorry to disappoint. No kids that old, but someday they'll play HS hockey(I hope)
Plus not in the East.

More middle ground for those that care.
Lucky 7 May I assume you are a player? For Shanley? Or For Mandan?

Pts are not everything that people look at when looking at players.
Helps to get noticed sometimes-- But I never scored a ton in my day.
Got noticed and played college.

And you might have it, Martin is probably not in the top 5 in the West-- with Geiss, and Labare at BHS.
But he is solid when he plays.
Go ND HOCKEY pplayers-- it is shaping up to be a good year, better for some.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:00 am

Really, I could care less who Sportshound really is, but at least he makes reasonable posts unlike a vast majority of the people on these forums. (See that sophomore thread, for example) Respect people's opinions if they aren't vastly biased. Groth seemed to have had a great game, Sportshound was just commenting on one of his past picks.
Anywho, pointwise, it seems that Meland is running away with Mr. Hockey right now.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:20 am

HockeyHigh wrote:Really, I could care less who Sportshound really is, but at least he makes reasonable posts unlike a vast majority of the people on these forums. (See that sophomore thread, for example) Respect people's opinions if they aren't vastly biased. Groth seemed to have had a great game, Sportshound was just commenting on one of his past picks.
Anywho, pointwise, it seems that Meland is running away with Mr. Hockey right now.

I agree. Based on the posts sportshound makes, he has a lot of information on the ND High School scene. His posts are unbiased. He seems to have the right people watching the games around the state for the games he does not make it to in order to get the information he does. Keep on posting, it is good to hear about these players.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lucky7 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 am

You are right. His posts are positive and informative, and it doesn't matter who he is.
lucky7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 am

thanks for the vote of Confidence sioux4ever and hockeyhigh.
You are right--I am not biased-- don't have a dog in the fight. Just have my opinions and views-- that is what these forums are for --right??? thanks again!

GO ND HOCKEY! drop the puck --let's play.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JGFan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:20 am

Any thoughts from Shanley fans as to the Shanley JV game against the Flyers JG this week? Curious to know who to watch, what you expect---
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:16 pm

shanley Jv playing the Flyers Jr. gold team?

I understand that the Flyers Jr. Gold team is pretty good.
they have taken it to the other Jr. gold teams in the State, pretty good.

I heard that they made a swing out West here, and into Sydney earlier(around 1st of dec. ) and beat up on Jr. gold powers of the past-- Watford City and Sydney. also the others that have had strong JR.gold Teams-- Rugby and langdon have taken lumps from them.

I would have to say that the Jr. gold Match-up with Shanley JV will be entertaining.
not sure who the JV players would be for Shanley, but they will have to play hard to beat a primarily upperclassmen Jr. gold team in the Flyers.
The coach for the Flyers is a good one-- Giggs (spelling?)-- Ryan--- I think his first name is. he has been involved with NDAHA Select program over the past few years.
Shanley people do not be surprised to get beat. Jr. Gold or not-- they have kids(the way it sounds) that could be or even should be playing HS hockey. some would be a big benefit to teams in Fargo/West Fargo-- IE: north could use some of that talent and West fargo could use some of them.

I also have had conversations with smaller towns hockey guys that don't have HS hockey and they say over the past few years the Jr. gold Bad Rap-- has been put back in the background. some good players int he smaller towns(even one or two made team ND(Sr.) last yr. and went to the Chicago Showcase ), so cleaned up the act of Goon hockey and Now is good Club hockey for the State.
more kids playing is a good thing.
just my thoughts--as always...............................
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Riders10 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:38 am

I see Shanley Jv having no chance in that game unless their goalie plays on his head...I've seen him play I think he is pretty good...but i still don't see them having a shot
Riders10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby puckfan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:56 am

I am looking forward to our Flyer JG playing Shanley JV. I am afraid though; Shanley may not give us the same effort they put up in their win against Moorhead JG (2 wins for Shanley JV) and their win against Red River JV. Things seem to be building up for Shanley to hunt down every EDC point they can; and maybe not burn out some of their shared talent that skate JV and Varsity periods. I am sure they would be more focused on the Varsity Game for Thursday night. It is not as big of a game for Shanley JV as it is for the Flyers JG. I hope it is a good one though...

I would like to see more of this in the future.
puckfan

Postby Knight55 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 am

Ok well first off...Shanley is playing a conference game tomorrow....thats the game that matters. JV has absolutely no meaning ever except for younger players to earn their spot on the varsity team. Think about it, the Flyers dominate the Junior Gold league...they are made up of a ton of juniors and seniors and they will be playing basically freshman with a few sophomores. People can honestly say this is a big game and has huge meaning to the Flyers?!?!?!?! They should win with how much older they are and a few of those kids could play high school. But JV hockey is not an important subject so who cares.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to EDC