Fargo South?

Teams of the East

Fargo South?

Postby phil7416 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:29 pm

After these last games what do you think is in fargo souths future this year?
phil7416

Re: Fargo South?

Postby RazorsEdge » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:08 pm

How many counted the Vikings out in mid November?
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:43 pm

RazorsEdge wrote:How many counted the Vikings out in mid November?

How many still count the Vikings out?
/raises hand

But really, I hope they get it together. They have their Holiday tournement coming up and they'll need to start playing better. Knowing the program, I'm sure that Wilson will have them ready for February.
They're in a pretty deep slump right now though, hope they can drag themselves out of it.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:46 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:But really, I hope they get it together. They have their Holiday tournement coming up and they'll need to start playing better. Knowing the program, I'm sure that Wilson will have them ready for February.
They're in a pretty deep slump right now though, hope they can drag themselves out of it.

Every team goes through slumps, learning experiences in a season. It is not even Christmas yet, so let's not exactly write any team off. It takes 2 wins at EDC to get to state.... I believe their starting goaltender played something like 1 period of varsity hockey last season behind Diechert (sp?), it's an adjustment for any player. Add in the two additions (Narveson/Burdick) at defense being the only defensemen with varsity experience coming in to the season, and the loss of one of those players, just an early season struggle to get experience. It can happen to any team, better in December than in january I say.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:42 pm

Seems to me that South just has those Growing pains going on right now.
In Bismarck-- they struggle in the Net and at Def.
The Forwards seem to be as agressive as they can be, but they didn't have many opportunities to break out of the zone clean. plus the Def. on the Blue-line had a hard time playing with confidence. (that was obvious)
The talent level at South on South's team was far superior than Bismarck(overall).
It appeared to me that when a couple weak goals went in on South vs. BHS, they got a little tail between the legs and couldn't fight back for a few minutes.

I think they will get the experience they needed in the Def. corps, and Maybe they will Change things in the Net to put a tester in the water to see who wants to have the Job, or earns the job.
their roster shows two Sr. Goalies (Kelly- starter right now, and Ownes (??) don't know anything about that kid).. but they have a Soph and Jr. on JV, they seem to be playing with some focus... Or at least one did vs. BHS JV last Fri.....

HMM- ??? marks arise-- when South has a record of 2-5-0.... They do go to Rochester this week, maybe that is their time to get everyone competing at a high level...
for the West I hope that south doesn't get out of the Slump, But I know they will pull themselves up and be there at the end. Who couldn't with all that talent.
Hooey the Capt. Got a 10/2 Misconduct Vs. BHS-- not sure what he said, but must have been frustrated.
He didn't check from behind or anything, so it had to be a Frustration comment.
Groth looked like he had a step on our guys. But needs more help form the Def. to get the puck out of the zone. Powers --was not even noticed, neither was McBain(too bad he didn't stay out here in the west-- then H/B might actually play hard in some games)--- He was nothing either, didn't notice him all except a goal on a nice pass that happened because of a Def. break down by the 3rd liners from BHS.
Seeburg, Norman, Geist all played solid, as did Labere.
Bismarck is the class of the West.. With Mandan, BCentury and Williston-- these are still my picks from the west for state.
I know South-- they will come out of the Slump and then look out, just like always look out fro GFC when it is Tourney time (although bina-- the good coach that he is.. Yes a dig on those that think otherwise, has his team 6-2)-- they will be a threat along with GPR and GFRR...

Happy holidays to all that are reading--
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:33 am

Thanks for the update on the game, glad to hear someone's perspective that was at the game.

I wanted to note though that Grand Forks Central is 6-3, not 6-2.....ha ha :D
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsman101 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:48 pm

i was also at the fargo south-bismarck game and fargo south was out working bismarck the refs were making some weak calls and 5 out of the 6 goals bismarck scored wont go in when it comes february it wasnt so much a breakdown in defense or goaltending by south just all the bounces seemed to go the bismarck way while south made a strong stab at a comeback in the middle of the 3rd period there just wasnt enough time left. not taking anything away from the demons they were the team that came out ready to play.
sportsman101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:33 pm

sportsman101 wrote:i was also at the fargo south-bismarck game and fargo south was out working bismarck the refs were making some weak calls and 5 out of the 6 goals bismarck scored wont go in when it comes february it wasnt so much a breakdown in defense or goaltending by south just all the bounces seemed to go the bismarck way while south made a strong stab at a comeback in the middle of the 3rd period there just wasnt enough time left. not taking anything away from the demons they were the team that came out ready to play.

I am sure that come February both teams should be in state, and maybe get to see them battle each other once again.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsman101 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:19 pm

yeah the both teams should improve and it should be a good game to watch in february. this one i was at was very sloppy and it was almost brutal to watch. it seems as though south it under achieving right now. they're definately in a slump. i believe they have their holiday tourney upcoming someone will have to see how they do in that. maybe king1869 could help out with that :D
sportsman101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:07 pm

sportsman101 wrote:yeah the both teams should improve and it should be a good game to watch in february. this one i was at was very sloppy and it was almost brutal to watch. it seems as though south it under achieving right now. they're definately in a slump. i believe they have their holiday tourney upcoming someone will have to see how they do in that. maybe king1869 could help out with that :D

I'm guessing either one of you could give us an update after the South games at their holiday tournament. Good Luck to the South Bruins and hopefully they get it turned around!!
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:37 am

Yes-- updates from anyone that will be at those games in Rochester would be good.

I had planned to travel to Mpls. sometime this week. If all works out, I may sneak down to Rochester for a game. I checked out the teams int hat tourney-- Fargo South plays Hastings, MN to start out,
Others in the tourney: Buffalo vs. Roch. John marshall, New Richmond, WI vs Roch. Mayo, Apple Valley vs Roch. Century.
Century a legit team(played well at state AA tourney MN last yr), Hastings(stuggled some early is now playing well), Mayo is good(obviously beating GPR-so we know what they can do), Buffalo (played Mhd. tough a few games ago- 6-3 game I think), Apple Valley (is a BIG school and always has good sports). The WI team is a little hard to find things on, but NEw Richmond(last yr. was a top team in Middle class of WI hockey)

Good Luck South and the rest of the teams in ND hockey-- drop the puck--have fun and play hard!
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:35 pm

Hey got back from Mpls-- Roads Good(long drive though)
Rochester is a long ways from Mpls.
Made it down to Rochester to watch a little hockey. Wife Shopped I drove and watched a very good game.
Saw The South Vs. Roch. Century game Sat. 3rd place game.
South dominated.--even though being down 3-1 after 1 period.

They certainly looked like a diff. team then in Bismarck just a week before.
The D-played with toughness, the forwards looked like a South team should and usually does.
They won that game 5-3--outshot RCentury pretty bad.
Groth, Hooey and Orson(whom some have said isn't good?? hmmm Saw him play very well)
That line is going to be the force of that team.
I understand that they were the three guys to play all three games hard and fast and with purpose on the weekend.
Vs. Roch.Century- Groth had two assists, 1- goal-- the game winner(they were 4 on 4) He just out muscled the Def. and made the goalie look like a Pee Wee(well maybe not that bad-- but he did get him flat on his face sprawling to try to make a save).
Groth also had the lone goal vs. Buffalo the night before in the tie game.
People I talked to said that Groth was starting to show his scoring ability(he seems to always be a set up man and doesn't get much credit for that--which is probably true) And still being the passer that we have seen before. Hooey just strong and that line looked like they were clicking, they will be ahrd to stop in the upcoming weeks in EDC and the state.
News articles on-line show(for the three games) Groth with 2g/3a, Hooey 1g/3a, Orson 2g/1a
Plus Hooey assisted on another teammates goal and Groth on another Hooey(Josh) goal.
That is 7 of 10 goals scored--pretty impressive.
Didn't notice Powers until he got a 10/2 for getting into a scuffle in the 3rd.
No pts in three games-- hmmm-- did he peak as a soph???
The line that plays hard and fast(as they did in Bismarck) was Hugelet/Mauch-- But sorenson wasn't playing with them??? Not sure why----no matter they were a factor(with whoever played with them.
The other two lines-- were ill-effective mostly--- but one line can give up goals-- McBain/Haslu/briggs- I think they gave up two of the first 3 in this game.
We have seen Groth and Hooey's names as Mr. Hockey candidates-- They proved that-- when they play together with another fast passing player good things happen. They are both very good and against good competition--I was impressed with South's Huge turn around.
Look out ND-- Glad they don't come out to Bismarck again- BHS should be happy too.

Good for the South Bruin's-- good for ND Hockey..
They finished with 2 wins/ 0 losses/ 1 tie-- not bad considering where they were at last week--Hey also heard that Hastings the team South beat the first game (4-1) BEat Roseville, MN before Christmas--4-1, and that team beat Moorhead in the Schwanns cup 3-0...??? Wow-- didn't South lose 6-0 to Mhd??

Happy NEw Year to all-- I hope to get to a few more games in the next week or two-- and will post my thoughts and what I hear from good sources, as I get that info... helps to have contacts.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:45 am

Thanks for the update on their tournament weekend. Sounds like they may be turning it around.

Good Luck to them 2nd half!
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby king1869 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:29 pm

i know i saw that sorenson wasnt playing, he did play the first game and had one assist i believe? not sure though.. i was talking to some of the parents and they said that spencer wolf, and brian bauer all got one game? dont know why.. also orson/ hooey/ groth looked great i thought this weekend.
king1869
NDPreps Reserve

Return to EDC