Grand Forks Central

Teams of the East

Re: Grand Forks Central

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:01 am

Can anyone figure out the GFC team? Up 1 day, down the next. It makes no sense. They swept Fargo South this year, lost 3 out of 4 points to North. Swept by both GPR and GFRR. Maybe it is just youth, and not showing up to play every day in and out. Best of luck to GFC in the EDC and earning a trip to state.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Just back from out of town.
WOW that is a little surprise. 2-1 OT over F. SOuth

Now that is a plus for GFC, but don't think it mattered which one of those teams ended up 4th Seed for EDC.
The BRackets are such that it is unlikely that either GFC or South will be limited and not make the State tourney.

Oh and by the way-" Bina is a Good Coach"-- again had to put that in there.(for all you out there that didn't believe me, way back when.

I see the East shaping up as such:
GFRR beats Shanley
F.South beat DL GFRR Beats South
GPR beats WF GFRR losses to GPR for EDC title
GFC beats North GPR beats GFC

Play in games: South beats WF and is #4
GFC and DL play close GFC wins is #3 to State
So they do not get shut out of the State tourney 2 yrs. in a row.

Good luck to ALL the teams, the 4 best/ top 4 seeds will still emerge to battle each other at State Tourney (most likely), also.
Get there, then you have a chance to win the BIG prize.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DWeigs » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Wow... Missed the State Tournament for the 2nd straight year in a row...
DWeigs

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:28 pm

DWeigs wrote:Wow... Missed the State Tournament for the 2nd straight year in a row...

That's really unfortunate. They were young though. Too bad for their seniors. Make the underclassmen hungrier for next year!
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:42 am

Next year i will say GFC=2009 title game vs grafton. guarentee it.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:13 am

Oh -OK Now I have to do this. Gloating just a little bit.

Did I or Did I not say Tony Bina is a GOOD COACH?

Voted by his peers, the other coaches, as 2007-08' Coach of the Year, coming out of the EDC.

Great job coach Bina(if he ever would see this).
He is a Good Coach.

Now I am done with that. Awards given, it is proven.
from out here we could only dream of having a young coach with scruples and discipline and hockey knowledge coaching the kids here.

We could use him back if GFC wants to see him go so bad. that will not happen now.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 am

I wonder what all the bina haters think now.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:09 pm

gfhockey-- you were not on that or with that group of thinkers were you?

Bina did what he had to do as a coach to solidify the team.

I heard that one parent wasn't shocked when their Sr. son was aksed to leave the team.
his actions were not warranted as a student and or athlete that should be giving respect to their elders/ coach.

I also know that he made some real tough decisions these past couple of years that were tougher than anyone else can think.
he has now primed the pump, and is ready to start pumping out some winning seasons and maybe(GOD help us all in the State, especially out here in the West), the Dynasty can be resurfacing and some Title banners will be hung again.

in my opinion he has making mostly the right moves as a young coach trying to build up and gain respect.

GOOD FOR HIM!
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:42 pm

No im prolly one of the most pro bina guys in grand forks. A lot of parents though dislike him extremely. Some have even said to me that they would rather have there son play for the stallions.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby blldg29 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Why do they dislike Tony Bina?
blldg29

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:28 pm

cuz of players leaving team, him playing younger, better kids then the parents own kids, gfc hasnt been to state last two years... that about sums it up.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:08 pm

If it requires removal of players to discipline a team, I'm all for it. It's the players privelege to play on the team, and it can be easily removed. Playing the best is how high school athletics are won, and I also support that full-heartily. Youth hockey is about development, HS athletics is about school pride and team/individual accomplishments, as for many it's likely their last years.
Also, after watching that GFC game against South (was actually pretty intense) I did think that the GFC kids were a bit undisciplined. I saw multiple cheap shots by Central players behind the play and after the whistle. It's hockey, but it's also a stupid thing to do, as a few of them (a good few were missed too) were caught, killing GFC chances.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:13 pm

Im not trying to blame the cheap shots or saying that the sioux are cheap but most of the kids in grand forks as im sure some around the state too look up to the sioux. This is weekend is like the 4 or 5th major fighting that the sioux have been in. could be more idk. They set the example the kids think they play the best hockey so for them to be the ebst, they gotta be like the sioiux. Again im not trying to bash anyone or saying the sioux are cheap is just the kids follow the people at the top of the chain.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:26 pm

First of all I am a huge supporter of Tony, and I think that he does a great job, but if the idea of his team taking multiple cheap shots is true then it is his job to do something about it. He is the one that looks bad if he is in fact allowing this. It is his job to inforce his brand of discipline. gfhockey the sioux excuse is/was is lame. As a high school coach you are trying to first and foremost make those kids into better citizens then hockey players.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 pm

gfhockey wrote:Im not trying to blame the cheap shots or saying that the sioux are cheap but most of the kids in grand forks as im sure some around the state too look up to the sioux. This is weekend is like the 4 or 5th major fighting that the sioux have been in. could be more idk. They set the example the kids think they play the best hockey so for them to be the ebst, they gotta be like the sioiux. Again im not trying to bash anyone or saying the sioux are cheap is just the kids follow the people at the top of the chain.

This is quite possibly the lamest excuse or example, whatever you want to call it, I have ever heard. Blaming the Sioux for undisciplined team play by Grand Forks Central. They don't "gotta be like the Sioux." If your theory was plausible, why was Red River not doing the same thing? Even you can not believe this.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 pm

if u go to the RR games, u will see they play with extra grit. and u obviosuly werent at any of the gfc gfrr games when big brawls broke out. dont attack me. and yes they prolly are like the sioux. gfc has an asisstant coach that played for the sioux and tony is robbie binas brother adn have heard he skates with gfc from time to time.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 am

gfhockey you put yourself out there to be attacked!!! :D You really can't justify the discipline it ultimately falls back on the coaching staff because they are the ones that look bad if they do nothing. You, bottom line, have to control your kids, and sometimes that can be the difference between winning and losing but ultimately it is on the player. For example if one of your best players takes a cheap shot behind the play and it doesn't get called you can bench him for say a period. If you had a two goald lead going into that period and you ultimately lose by one goal now who does the blame fall back on the coach, possibly, but at the same time if your best player doesn't take the cheap shot and have to get benched then you probably win, and you save face with the rest of the players and they know that it is unacceptable to play this way, and the problem is solved just by making one example is all it usually takes. You may have to have some reinforcement down the road, but you need to "show them who is in charge".
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Well then both of the GF teams must be the most undisplined because they both have like a lot mor PM then there opponents.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Maybe you should ask some of the central parents what they think of him?
Seriously, you might want to. I will predict there is probably a storm coming in the near future.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Sportshound wrote: heard that one parent wasn't shocked when their Sr. son was aksed to leave the team. his actions were not warranted as a student and or athlete that should be giving respect to their elders/ coach.

I can think of two that were dismissed.

Sportshound wrote: I also know that he made some real tough decisions these past couple of years that were tougher than anyone else can think..

So are you applauding the removal/dismissal of Alex Simmonson?
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:56 pm

I already know what most of the GFC parents think of them. I know many of them personally. But im just saying that maybe they should try and coach there own kids once. Kids don't act the same when they are with other kids. Parents thinkt ehre kids are little angels cuz they dont do nothing around them but ocne they get with freidns, its lets see whose the tougher guy.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:25 pm

gfhockey wrote:I already know what most of the GFC parents think of them. I know many of them personally. But im just saying that maybe they should try and coach there own kids once. Kids don't act the same when they are with other kids. Parents thinkt ehre kids are little angels cuz they dont do nothing around them but ocne they get with freidns, its lets see whose the tougher guy.

So all of these parents are wrong? Is that what your saying?
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:29 pm

I think no matter where you are at, some parents always dislike their coaching staff. A few years ago, the Red River parents were calling for Matt Malm to be fired. He wasn't playing the right players, etc... You always get some parents who like the coach and some who don't.
Is Coach Bina doing everything right? Probably not, there is probably not a single coach out there who does do everything right. It is easy to "armchair" or "rail" coach from the stands.
Someone posted earlier, it takes a very committed person to basically give up their personal life from 3-6 on practice days and from 4-10ish? on game days and I believe that he and his coaching staff are very committed. Could they improve at some points? Sure. Do they do everything right, no, but who does?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Finally me and sioux4ever agree on something. 4-10 is an understatement. maybe 5-10 for a hoem game cuz head coaches have to be at JV games but when the travel its a lot more.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby grandforks1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:51 pm

I agree that parents shouldn't be the ones to judge how the coach is doing. It is the kids who should make that decsion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I believe Coach Bina has made the right moves on a lot of tough situations. He also has set his team up to be successful after coming off last season and more than doubling their record. Wait until next year and even more parents/fans will be eating their words. The storm will be on them!
grandforks1

PreviousNext

Return to EDC