Best football field in the state.

Postby hunter48 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:45 pm

I would say the best two fields i played on were Velva and Stanleys.  They both are kept up very nicely and the atmoshere is awesome at both. 
hunter48

Postby Takedown » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 pm

Stanleys field is pretty good but bowman always keeps their field emacualte.

Respect must be earned but honor must be proven.
Takedown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kvrnm » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:17 am

i enjoyed playin on hettingers filed, also center stantons was very unique.
kvrnm
NDPreps Starter

Postby letsgosox » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:06 pm

Takedown wrote:Stanleys field is pretty good but bowman always keeps their field emacualte.

bowman has a nice football field but as far as playing there it isnt that great. bowman isnt a football town so there is abosolutely no football atmosphere.
letsgosox

Postby DC_ALUM-9-78 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:48 pm

id have to say towners field we played there a few years back and it was in awsome shape.  i also like centers field to it was fun playing there
DC_ALUM-9-78
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the low down » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:49 pm

Velva definitely.  Great Atmosphere. Great Scenery.  It is not in an open field where you can sit on the top bleacher and see for the next 10 miles on one side and the school's shop garage on the other.  It is tucked away on the edge of a city park in trees and beside a river, making for a great place to be on a Friday night. You can count on the field being in great shape too whether it being the last weekend in August or the middle of November.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:30 am

I agree, I think Velva in general has great facilities for all athletics. The football field, the baseball field, and let's not forget the track. Their track is rivaled only by places like the Community Bowl in Bismarck, and Herb Parker in Minot. I used to love running there when we came to town for a track meet. I have not seen a public school track that compares.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby berry186 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:53 am

A - Football Fan wrote:I agree, I think Velva in general has great facilities for all athletics. The football field, the baseball field, and let's not forget the track. Their track is rivaled only by places like the Community Bowl in Bismarck, and Herb Parker in Minot. I used to love running there when we came to town for a track meet. I have not seen a public school track that compares.

there baseball field isnt that great, bad infield, brown grass
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the low down » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:58 pm

It's above average for a Class "B" field, but you're right, it's been a work in progress for the better part of the last decade.  Coach Thingstad though deserves some props for the endless hours of taking care of it beginning in the early spring and through the fall.  Most Class "A" ballfields have full time workers taking care of the fields, so coaches like Thingstad are doing this mostly as a 3rd job (coaching is 2nd, obviously) and mostly out of charity.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:32 am

I played and coached against  Central Valley, I do not remember anything special about that field, that would make it the best field in the state.

The Communtiy bowl in Bismarck is very nice if it did'nt have turf.

Roller field in Devils Lake? It's a barren waste land to the west, cold and windy. Nice facility but not the best place to play a football game.

Maddock has a nice field

McVille has a nice field

Mayville has the worst field in a nice setting. May-Port should build their own field at the high school.

Finley has a nice field down in a bowl with a huge crown on it.

Walhalla has a nice field.

Hope has a nice field with a great 9-man atmosphere. I have never won a game in Hope playing, coaching, or watching as a fan.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby cardinal10 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:41 pm

Velva, definitely has a great FB/track facility.  Bleachers, trees, on the river--very nice.  I think the thing about Central Valley is the grass is like a golf course fairway...immaculate.  You would be hard pressed to find a better grass field anywhere.  If they had nice bleachers instead of standing around the outside that place would be awesome.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby kevin1633 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:09 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:I played and coached against  Central Valley, I do not remember anything special about that field, that would make it the best field in the state.

The Communtiy bowl in Bismarck is very nice if it did'nt have turf.

Roller field in Devils Lake? It's a barren waste land to the west, cold and windy. Nice facility but not the best place to play a football game.

Maddock has a nice field

McVille has a nice field

Mayville has the worst field in a nice setting. May-Port should build their own field at the high school.

Finley has a nice field down in a bowl with a huge crown on it.

Walhalla has a nice field.

Hope has a nice field with a great 9-man atmosphere. I have never won a game in Hope playing, coaching, or watching as a fan.

i played in hope..the field is hilly and has huge holes in it. i watched a few kids tear up knees by getting caught in the holes.. the atmosphere is what a class b school should have.
kevin1633
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:30 pm

yeah i agree with takedown. now that bowman has their new bleachers, they're field has got to be the best in the state. Kent harding(girls basketball/volleyball coach) works on it all summer so its perfect by the time season goes around. They also have one of the best tracks i would say. all around 2 thumbs up
project-pat

Postby tommykramer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:34 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:I played and coached against  Central Valley, I do not remember anything special about that field, that would make it the best field in the state.

Gridiron Guru, you obviously have not been to C.V. in the past decade.  Coach Vigen has made that field awesome.  The playing surface is in perfect shape.  Plus other than the school to the west, the field is  pretty well protected by trees all around it.  It is still in the same location, but they really did some nice work to the surface!

That's one thing that considering the weather conditions in good ol ND, schools should try and protect their fields.  A couple of the places G.G. mentioned definately do that, Finley, Mayville, and Hope (3/4 of it),  
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby froggy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:21 pm

[font=georgia]i was down in bowman in the later summer towards the beginning of the football season and with their new bleachers and nicely done field, i was impressed.[/font]
froggy

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:56 am

Bowman's field is nice and i have seen the new bleachers and they look nice. 

The topic is best field.  But I think if you are looking at the complete package there are nicer places.  Bowman has done a great job with the location but it is so wide open.  No back drop.  Just not a real football friendly atmosphere.

Mayville is great for HS, College ball it is cramped.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:47 am

Tiger Pride wrote:Mayville is great for HS, College ball it is cramped.

early in the season i loved the field. late in the season, i hated the astro-dirt. the field couldn't handle the games being played on it and your cleats wouldn't dig in...might as well have worn tenni-runners.

but all in all, for a high school field at a smaller north dakota school it was pretty nice.
rep

Postby region1 football » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:29 am

Harvey and Linton were always two of my favorite places to play. 
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:14 am

i don't think i've ever been to a game in harvey early in the year...been to a couple of games in either late october or early november and both were miserable weather-wise...i've always wanted to go in the early fall just to be able to soak in the field a bit more and not be so concerned about what extremity was going to freeze off.

the one thing that sticks out to me about the harvey field is the steps going up to the press box are wobbly...when i went up there for a playoff game between the hornets and stanley last year i took about three steps up those steps and decided against it
Last edited by rep on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby ND_Coach » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 am

region1 football wrote:Harvey and Linton were always two of my favorite places to play. 

I hate Lintons field, mainly because I do not like having both the teams on the same sideline.  Its annoying to not be able to go from the 25 to the 25.

Also I don't like Hope's field.  The atmosphere was nice, but there is no room on the visitors sidelines
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby u no it » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:20 pm

Carringtons got a nice  one i tell ya!!nice new one
u no it

Postby ndfan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:31 pm

[user=2079]u no it[/user] wrote:
Carringtons got a nice  one i tell ya!!nice new one

How new is it? I was there to watch the Carrington-Cavalier game in '03 not sure if that was there new field or not.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:29 am

ScaTMaN wrote:i like playing at the DSU field. it blocks a lot of wind because its in sort of a semi-bowl. but it does get a little tore up towards the end of the season because DSU, DHS, and Trinity all use them for home games.

What!?  DSU  is the windiest field I have ever played at.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby rumbles » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:32 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=2079]u no it[/user] wrote:
Carringtons got a nice� one i tell ya!!nice new one

How new is it? I was there to watch the Carrington-Cavalier game in '03 not sure if that was there new field or not.
It was first new in 05 they redid the field and the track
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heelsfan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:59 am

Beulah has a really nice field.  It's located in the park by the Knife river and is protected from the wind surrounded by trees.
heelsfan
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Football