Best football field in the state.

Postby Saas25 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:23 pm

I would have to say the Community Bowl is the best facility in the state.  If anyone hasn't experienced what field-turf is like, they should.  Once you play on it nothin ever feels the same.  The bad part about the bowl is the atmosphere because it feels as if you are watching from the nosbleed section but it still gets pretty loud.  I know up in Williston people pull up in their cars and watch the games so that is a fun place to play. 
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby DL-in-DL » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Playing on turf is so much different than grass. The turf just has that feel to it where it seems like your moving faster and everything you do is smoother, and almost gets you pumped up just stepping on it. But there is nothing better than playing on a real, grass field on a nice, cool fall evening under the lights.
DL-in-DL
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd0606 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:30 pm

As far as a good regular outdoor field, how about Jamestown's Gates Field.  That place is a fun place to watch a football game on a friday night (granted I am from the city).  Jamestown always has a good student section that get pretty rowdy and a pretty large amount of seating.  I think it's a nice atmosphere for football though...I'd like to hear what you guys think.
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby #50mandan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:47 pm

id say the community bowl because you are faster and more mobile on that field, worst field is dickinson
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby A2000 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:14 am

I would agree that Roller Feild is one of the best feilds in the state.  The Bowl in Bismarck is also very nice.
A2000

Postby #50mandan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:52 pm

what up brothers

ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Where is Roller Field?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:38 pm

[user=93]Ming01[/user] wrote:
Where is Roller Field?

Roller Field is in Devils Lake where the Satan's i mean firebirds play.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Notorious » Tue May 23, 2006 5:20 am

Hughes Field in Bismarck was always great.  It was pure old school high school football.  Also, Whitney Stadium in Dickinson is a pretty cool place to play and watch.  Roller field was a tough place to play because of the chain gang "allegedly" helping the Satans by signally the opponents plays as run/pass???

The Community Bowl in Bismarck is a great facility.  I am sure kids love to play there.  It is also decent to watch events there.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun May 28, 2006 7:30 pm

Hughes field in Bismarck,the ambiance on a Friday night, especially when Bismarck was playing St.Mary's was unbelievable.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Mon May 29, 2006 9:43 am

Fargodome
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_Coach » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:33 pm

blaze88 wrote:I would have to say that Strasburg has to have one of the best fields i have ever been on. All of the trees and nice grass was great to play on, we played there the year they won state i think in 2001 and when we played there in the playoffs it was still in great condition. Even though we lost 48-0 it was still the best h.s. field i ever plaved on. Once Dickinson gets their field redone that will be the best.  Also in Parshall you can park all the way around the field.

I agree with you blaze, Strasburg has a great field.  For those who have never been there it is the outfield of the softball field and is surrounded by trees on all sides except the south (hardly ever windy on the field level).  The grass looks nice and is fairly soft. 
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:55 pm

Saucesauer wrote:Hughes field in Bismarck,the ambiance on a Friday night, especially when Bismarck was playing St.Mary's was unbelievable.

Hughes Field was an awesome place to watch high school football right in the smack dab center of Bismarck.  I wish they still played games there!
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball1niner » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:35 am

[align=center]i really dont see wats wron with a field like Thompson i mean thats a class b school that has a great feeling to play there plus u can enjoy a game without alot of bugs[/align]
Last edited by bball1niner on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bball1niner

Postby scruffy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:31 pm

Any stadium that is outdoors is all right by my standards.  If the concession stand is good, so much the better....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:36 pm

insert random comment about how ndsu and und have ruined the integrity of the game of football by playing football indoors here
rep

Postby kvrnm » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:44 am

i would have to say the commounity bowl in bismark its amazing to play on. also willistons is very nice even tho they dont let williston trinity use it. but hey we will have a brand new football field starting this year

kvrnm
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:48 am

not a fan of the bowl personally...i like the feel of real grass...always liked watching my qb have to pick it out of his facemask after one of my ole blocks...
rep

Postby point/center » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:48 pm

the bowl is a hole. i'll take any natural grass over turf. i've always been a fan of  FB fields that share part of the sideline with the agrilime of the baseball field

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:30 am

You are not entirely correct.  The bowl is more of a draw than a hole.  I think watching a player slide across agrilime and come up dirty, muddy, or bloody is always a crowd pleaser.  As far as playing on the stuff I can recall three places i wouldn't want to play at again 1. Glen Ullin behind the school (watched our RB take a scoria chip out of his arm after the game)2. Minot State's Herb Parker Stadium (got tackled onto the long jump runway and still have the scar) 3. Dakota Field thank God we don't have to worry about this one.  Turf burns, no padding and it didn't help us slow guys.

Love watching any event at the bowl(except soccer).
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Notorious » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:41 pm

I disagree about Dakota Field.  It was an incredible home field advantage, and there was a certain mystique about that place.  It may have been different for high school games, but the Bison dominance ended when Dakota Field went away.  You are right about the turf though.....it was brutal, but it was fast. 
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:05 pm

I will agree concerning the Bison.  I recall sitting in the stands at games not being able to see the players unless they crossed the near hash.  I grew up thinking the Bison ruled the earth.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:56 am

Bison may not rule the Earth....they still rule the prairie.

Some of my fondest FB memories are from watching the mid-80s Herd at Dacotah Field. I think the arguement could be made that no other FB program in North Dakota dominated like the 80s Bison. From the history, to the home field advantage and on field destruction, the Herd was the law of the prairie.

excuse me while i grab a tissue and wipe my eyes...

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Notorious » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:43 am

Once a Bison, always a Bison!  I am glad the Bison are DI and doing well, but some of the tradition and history of the Bison seems to be a distant memory.  The Herd used to have a "cult" following, now games are more of a social event!?!  I remember when Cal Poly came in 1990 thinking all they needed to do is stop the dive.  Two quarterbacks later and a 49-0 score and they were elated to get on a plane and get out of town.  By the end of the first quarter, nearly their entire team was crammed into the heated "pen" on the sidelines.  Although Cal Poly would've lost 100 times out of 100, Dakota Field did not hurt that day, and nearly all of the fans stayed until the end, wearing snowmobile suits, carhardts, or anything else rated for about 50 below.

I would add, however, there was probably no field in the world that saw more knee injuries......it was like playing on a concrete parking lot with old carpet from someone's garage laid on top to make it green.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:23 am

i'll throw out playoff games agaist Ashland and Central State---also vs Cal-Davis...those teams couldnt get on the plane out of Fargo fast enough

point/center
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football