Best football field in the state.

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:17 am

Alright, I was saving this one for later but I gotta ask now.  Which high school football field would you rank the best in the state and why?  Atmosphere and setting mostly, I love fields which let the fans get right up on the sidelines, does any school still let you park around them?  Man I thought that was cool, horns would be honking!  Which field gives you that feeling like there is no place else you'd rather be on a cool fall evening?

I haven't been to Velva for a while but I used to really like their field.  I had a lot trees around it, beautiful grass and a football tradition.

Oak Grove is nice but too many mosquitos, right by the river.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:40 am

Mayville would be right up there if they didnt have morons up at the college taking care of it. They just need to do something to the field so that when it rains it has somewhere to go and doesnt kill the grass.

Cavaliers field is usually always in good condition but you cant go on the track anymore to get closer to the game so that hurts.

Cushman Field is another nice one, i was at that South-Central game there during regular season. When Central scored that game winning touchdown in the final minutes the electricty there was awesome from the central fans, you could feel it from the other side of the field.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:13 am

The community bowl in bismarck is very nice. I know U-Mary plays on that field but i'm not positive about the H.S.'s in bismarck...

When i went to a 9-man game in Drake this past season for a playoff quarterfinal there were vehicles around the field and everyone was right on the field. I had forgot how much fun that was since Cavalier put in the new rubberized track and doesn't allow fans on the track anymore. The field in drake didn't seem the greatest but the atmosphere made up for that.

Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby itsallabouteddie » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:46 am

SCC wrote:Central Valley's field always seems to be in really good shape and is a fun place to watch 9-man.

best field i ever played on, and its not even close
itsallabouteddie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:33 am

Linton's field is a nice setting once it gets dark.  It would have been better if you didn't have to play Linton while you were there.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby lefty » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:23 pm

I'm not going to say velva is the best field in the state, but it is a great field...especially for just a class A team.  the grass is always in perfect condition, theres is usually little or no wind because of the trees, and there is plenty of room for fans to sit.  it's not out in the middle of the country or in the middle off town.  it is a great atmosphere for high school football
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:03 am

I like Hope. Nice setting, good field. Oak Grove is good to, but mosquitos can be a problem. Another nice field is Kenmare.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:29 am

Anyone speak to Beulah's field these days? Back in the day I thought it was pretty cool place, but of course I was just a little tike.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:51 pm

I really like the community bowl in Bismarck with a view of the Missouri River also.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:37 pm

[user=93]Ming01[/user] wrote:
I really like the community bowl in Bismarck with a view of the Missouri River also.

Yeah I agree. I meant to include that in my post but forgot too. It is a beautiful stadium and with the river you feel even more a part of North Dakota.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:11 pm

point/center wrote:I like Hope. Nice setting, good field. Oak Grove is good to, but mosquitos can be a problem. Another nice field is Kenmare.

When I went to school in Kenmare the field was terrible, the bleachers needed to be replaced and the track went into the endzone.  Parts of the field were rocky and parts had standing water.  I think it was the only field that sunk in the middle :)  I know it's been a lot of years and they've had it all redone but I just think it's ironic.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby lefty » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:03 pm

yeah honestly, kenmare is the worst field i've ever played on, including the school playground which was made of pavement.  there is only grass on the sidelines and the track does cut on to one of the endzones. its like a street is going through the endzone???? and they don't even have lights so all of the games need to be played during the day. every high school football player wants to play under the lights!
Last edited by lefty on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Velva in Iraq » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:08 am

Maybe I am bias, but none the less Velva has to be one of the top fields in the state and the best I have seen in Class A.  The setting is excellent for high school football and the atmosphere is unbelievable.  The whole town is at every game and I if you have ever been to a Velva-Ryan or a Velva-Stanley game you can't get a parking spot in town.  And Larry Sandy treats that field like his baby.  I don't think most coaches put in the time he does to take care of his field.
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lefty » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:07 am

lefty wrote:yeah honestly, kenmare is the worst field i've ever played on, including the school playground which was made of pavement.  there is only grass on the sidelines and the track does cut on to one of the endzones. its like a street is going through the endzone???? and they don't even have lights so all of the games need to be played during the day. every high school football player wants to play under the lights!

ok, sorry guys, that was a little bit too much sarcasm
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 22 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:17 am

Kemare just built a new football field, they should be playing on it next year

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:07 pm

22 wrote:Kemare just built a new football field, they should be playing on it next year

I've followed it a little, a good community effort to raise money and donate whatever services they can to build a better quality field, with lights and everything (I'm assuming).  MAYBE they can start a tradition finally with better facilities and a 9-man schedule.    They big problem I think with the old field was there was zero drainage, because of a construction flaw.

In fairness, I really liked the gym, districts with the bleachers in the band room, that was BIG TIME, but I am biased.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:55 pm

I know putting Kenmare was a strech..maybe it would've been a little better to say it was the most 'unique' field in the stateA? definetly had it's own home field advantage. like the MN Twins in the Metrodome kind of a deal.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:21 pm

not a stretch at all, like I said, I still like the fields that let you park around the field in your cars.  Nothing like hearing those horns on a cold night under the lights.  Kenmare used to do that back before the track went in.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:47 pm

Velva in Iraq wrote:Maybe I am bias, but none the less Velva has to be one of the top fields in the state and the best I have seen in Class A.  The setting is excellent for high school football and the atmosphere is unbelievable.  The whole town is at every game and I if you have ever been to a Velva-Ryan or a Velva-Stanley game you can't get a parking spot in town.  And Larry Sandy treats that field like his baby.  I don't think most coaches put in the time he does to take care of his field.

Back in the olden days, I recall, when I think one of the Gleave brothers was coach at Velva.  We had just gotten our ritual beating and we were getting dressed in the locker room.  All of a sudden we could hear the whole Velva team singing the school song, echoing through the school vents.  Our lockerroom got really quiet, it was almost surreal.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:13 pm

I always loved Roller field in Devils Lake, I never got to play on it under the lights. But I got to watch some really good football players play there in the early 90's.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:37 am

ndfan wrote:I always loved Roller field in Devils Lake, I never got to play on it under the lights. But I got to watch some really good football players play there in the early 90's.

I saw a couple games there myself. I don't really remember the quality of the field, but I do always remember getting the feeling you just didn't want to play there. It was almost unexplainable. Maybe the true definition of home field advantage?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Dude » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:28 am

I would have to agree that Central Valley has the best field in the state.  Yes, it is lacking the stadium seating atmosphere of triple A stadiums, but the field quality and fan atmosphere is second to none.  When a huge region or playoff game is held there, the place is nuts.  In '99 when they won the title we played them on their homecoming and it was the most insane game I've ever been a part of. (that's right, we were the lone blemish on their record).  Enough said, CV has the best field in the state.
The Dude
NDPreps Rookie

Postby DL-in-DL » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Roller Field has one of the nicest kept fields in the state and it's a great atmosphere to play in.
DL-in-DL
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDhockey6b » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:02 pm

i would have to agree with DL-in-DL i have seen Roller feild in Devils Lake. The feild itself looked as if an artist painted the lines and numbers and as if no team had ever stepped a foot on it. The stands and concession area didnt seem above average. Grand Forks's Cushman feild is also very kept up.
every practice matters...but every game Counts
NDhockey6b
NDPreps Starter

Postby blaze88 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:12 am

I would have to say that Strasburg has to have one of the best fields i have ever been on. All of the trees and nice grass was great to play on, we played there the year they won state i think in 2001 and when we played there in the playoffs it was still in great condition. Even though we lost 48-0 it was still the best h.s. field i ever plaved on. Once Dickinson gets their field redone that will be the best.  Also in Parshall you can park all the way around the field.
blaze88

Next

Return to Football