Best FB player from North Dakota

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:45 pm

point/center wrote:not about who went on to excel in the college game or in the pro's. but Brian Dykema was a machine at Strausburg Zeeland.

I saw some game film on Dykema from Strasburg,.....scary stuff, talk about a kid who could control a game single handedly.

When he was a junior I think he played with his brother and was surrounded by some other good athletes plus they when to state in basketball that year, but his senior year he was all they had, and what a freaking animal.

too bad he never had the desire to excel at the next level.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:24 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:Here's a name from the past.

Anyone remember Fred Walker from May-Port?

He carried May - Port on his back for three years as a running back. And I think at least one state championship if not two.

He was the state champ in the 200 meter dash and runner up in the 100.

And took 3rd in State wrestling in the heavy weight division. I think he weighed around 230 his senior year.

He was the male athlete of the year in 1986 I think.

He was going to play football at UND but broke his neck in the Shrine game and never played a down of football again.

just to add a bit of info, i believe walker is the all-time single season rushing record holder for the patriots. no. 2 is danny hefta (who was a tremendous bowling ball back).
rep

Postby ndfbfan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:34 pm

rep wrote:
GRIDIRON GURU wrote:Here's a name from the past.

He carried May - Port on his back for three years as a running back. And I think at least one state championship if not two.

And took 3rd in State wrestling in the heavy weight division. I think he weighed around 230 his senior year.

He was going to play football at UND but broke his neck in the Shrine game and never played a down of football again.

just to add a bit of info, i believe walker is the all-time single season rushing record holder for the patriots. no. 2 is danny hefta (who was a tremendous bowling ball back).
Is his brother Coach Walker from Killdeer?? My old wrestling/football coach
ndfbfan

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:10 am

[user=1355]GRIDIRON GURU[/user] wrote:
Here's a name from the past.

I never got to see him play cause i was way to young, but my dad said he was a total stud. Definitely deserves to be mentioned in this category.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hfs77 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:20 am

If we're talking about just the high school level, dude Lavin from Hatton pretty much dominated. 

[font=verdana]He went to UND to play football, but transfered after one semester to UMary (to play basketball)[/font]

[font=verdana] [/font]

[font=verdana]In 9 games his senior season, he had 1,586 yards rushing & 27 touchdowns.  But the most impressive numbers were his all-purpose yards.  He also caught plenty of passes, and returned kicks & punts.  All together, he had 3,355 yards during the 1987 season.[/font]

[font=verdana] [/font]

[font=verdana]He was also a two-time All-Stater in basketball (Mr Basketball candidate the year Guldseth won) with over 1,700 career points, and a standout centerfielder/pitcher for a baseball team that was runner-up in ’87, and won state championships in both High School & Legion in 1988.[/font]
hfs77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:02 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
point/center wrote:not about who went on to excel in the college game or in the pro's. but Brian Dykema was a machine at Strausburg Zeeland.

I saw some game film on Dykema from Strasburg,.....scary stuff, talk about a kid who could control a game single handedly.

When he was a junior I think he played with his brother and was surrounded by some other good athletes plus they when to state in basketball that year, but his senior year he was all they had, and what a freaking animal.

too bad he never had the desire to excel at the next level.

Turned down a scholarship to Nebraska to stay close to his girlfriend (and now wife) I believe. Went to U of Mary and quit after his freshman or sophomore year I think.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tu-Big » Mon May 14, 2007 7:53 pm

cardinal10 wrote:
rumbles wrote:[user=566]#50mandan[/user] wrote:
DID JIMMY KLEINSASSER RUN THE 100 METER IN HIGH SCHOOL? I HEARD HE DID? AND WAT WAS HIS WEIGHT IN HIGH SCHOOL BECAUSE RIGHT NOW HES LIKE 270 AND THATS ALOT OF WEIGHT OUT ON THE TRACK BUT THATS AN ATHLETE
im not sure if he ran the 100 but i think he still holds the record for longest shotput throw unless it has been broken by now. Weather he ran or not i dont know but i know he was very fast for his size

I'm not sure if he ran the 100, but I know he qualified for state in the 200 (23.0), no one like being in the lanes next to him for fear of being hit by a stray elbow plus he ran the 4 x 200 relay for Carrington, besides being state champ in shot and discus.  I could start a rumor about him running the hurdles and breaking every one of them and people would probably believe it.
Ive heard about Jim Kleinsasser playing at the state basketball tournament and throwing one down that made the basket shake for the rest of the quarter...from what i heard it was incredible, the athleticism that he showed was amazing.
Tu-Big

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 16, 2007 4:45 am

ndfan wrote:[user=1355]GRIDIRON GURU[/user] wrote:

I never got to see him play cause i was way to young, but my dad said he was a total stud. Definitely deserves to be mentioned in this category.

Freddy Walk, is at Jamestown.  He coached the running backs for Jamestown college.  I think he is working at the Civic Center there.  Very nice guy. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed May 16, 2007 8:27 am

[user=1355]GRIDIRON GURU[/user] wrote:

From what i've heard from my dad on him is he was a stud. When he talks about best football players he's seen play he is right up there.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Best FB player from North Dakota

Postby old lineman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Fred Walker of MP was the best high school football player that I remeber seeing. State champ in the shot put, 100 yard dash, and 200 and one relay. Also STATE Champ heavyweight wrestler. Played in a game against Phil Hanson of Oakes and ran over everyone. Hurt his neck in the Shrine Game red shirted one year at UND then ran track at Jamestown for Rollie. He was one of a kind. He was also ND high school athlete of the year. OK, his list of fans is small but he was still a stud.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:52 pm

old lineman wrote:Fred Walker of MP was the best high school football player that I remeber seeing. State champ in the shot put, 100 yard dash, and 200 and one relay. Also STATE Champ heavyweight wrestler. Played in a game against Phil Hanson of Oakes and ran over everyone. Hurt his neck in the Shrine Game red shirted one year at UND then ran track at Jamestown for Rollie. He was one of a kind. He was also ND high school athlete of the year. OK, his list of fans is small but he was still a stud.

is walker still no. 1 in single-season rushing totals for mpcg? followed by danny hefta?
rep

Postby old lineman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:21 am

Danny played quit a few years behind Ross Almie and Shawn Moore. i did not relize Danny had that many yards, he was a man amongst boys when he played. My thought is that Almie would of been in that spot.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB11 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:28 am

old lineman wrote:Fred Walker of MP was the best high school football player that I remeber seeing. State champ in the shot put, 100 yard dash, and 200 and one relay. Also STATE Champ heavyweight wrestler. Played in a game against Phil Hanson of Oakes and ran over everyone. Hurt his neck in the Shrine Game red shirted one year at UND then ran track at Jamestown for Rollie. He was one of a kind. He was also ND high school athlete of the year. OK, his list of fans is small but he was still a stud.

He actually hurt in in the semi-final game against Cavalier his senior season. He was a great player and unreal athlete - an early version of Kleinsasser - only not as massive. Strong as an ox and faster than lightning. Like you said Shot put champ and 100 meter dash champ at the STATE MEET - never has happened before or since. Good guy too.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby old lineman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:33 pm

ndfb fan asked if Fred and Larry were brothers, They were not they were cousins. Both families lived in Mayville. Fred is the youngest of Danny's boys. All the Walkers were good athletes, Fred's next older bro. Pat was a big part of MP's STATE Champion track team in 1981. Larry played at Mayville State for 4 years of Football, and was a standout at MP. Larry has helped develop alot of great Killdeer Cowboy's.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wombat » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:25 pm

No he wasn't... MPCG has never had a heavyweight state champion wrestler. The closest they have is Brad Osland and Marty Amb who won 185 pound state titles. Fred Walker never won a state wrestling title at ANY weight.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby old lineman » Thu May 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Mike Osland at 185 in 1983 Marty Amb 185 champ 1977
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jarudy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:21 pm

Tyler Roehl?
He's giving out Rick Roehl's for free
Jarudy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rodgers4ever » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 am

this is a pick from way back. doug eiken from portland b4 the merger. was all-american tight end and d-end at mayville state. drafted by what today would be the tennesee titans. opted not to play pro football and instead played baseball for the phillies. all american at baseball basketball and football. in college career picked up 16 letters (threw shot and high jumped on the off weekends).
If their shooting at you, you're doing something right
Rodgers4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby fightingsioux » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:07 pm

Mike Watson could be up there as one of the best for Cavalier. He had records in rushing and tackles and was an all american.
fightingsioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Old Baller » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:56 pm

Here is one from way back...Doug Beaudoin, Jamestown. Outstanding running back and ND Male Ahlete of the Year in '72 I believe. Started out at Dickinson High and transferred to Jamestown as a junior. Played college ball at U of Minnesota during the days when freshmen were ineligible for varsity level sports. He was drafted by the New England Patriots in the 19th rouind of the 1976 draft as a defensive back. Played about 3 years there and a year each with Miami and San Diego. U of M recruited him as a running back but switched him to defense his sophmore year there, although I think he had some punt return duties. He was asked once why he was switched to defense. He said "I can tell you in two words - Rick Upchurch." (Upchurch came to U of M a year after Beaudoin and was such a talented running back that it was felt Beaudoin's talents weren't needed on the offensive side of the ball.)
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 am

Steve Hanson, Oaks....Phils (Bills) younger brother, Played for NDSU until he hurt the knee bad....some say he was better than Phil, I hunted Deer with him on there land just north of Ludden...He is one big boy!!!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:55 pm

How bout Josh Duhamel from Minot High. lol
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby biggame » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:17 am

go maji wrote:How bout Josh Duhamel from Minot High. lol

Greg Caro could probably be on the list
biggame
NDPreps Rookie

Postby LarryHoover » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Steve Cichy. Easily. My dad played with him in high school and from what he's told me he was incredible. He started at safety his freshman and sophomore year for shanley, which was a state championship team both those years. He was all state his sophomore year. Junior year he started at quarterback and safety, and I guess he was around 6'2, 220 pounds, and just a beast. He also was the kicker and punter. He lead them to state championships in his junior and senior season. The NDSU coach said if he went there he could play any position he wanted to. He decided to go to Notre dame, where he played safety and was an all-American his freshmen year. He suffered from injuries through college, and eventually played in the CFL
LarryHoover
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Football