Best FB player from North Dakota

Postby Claz B Fan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:42 pm

Steve Cichy was the best high school football player to ever play in North Dakota----he single handedly dominated action bothon offensive and defensive side of ball.

Notre Dame does not recruit Chumps
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby boysbballfan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:03 pm

what about Jared Esslinger from BHS then went to Minnesota as a walk on and ended up starting all four years and should have been drafted by the vikings instead of that kid from new mexico.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:56 pm

uh...do you mean greg eslinger?
rep

Postby Notorious » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:11 am

How about naming the Top 5 based purely on high school dominance, with no regard to success after high school?

I will let someone else go first............

Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby boysbballfan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:14 pm

yea
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:38 pm

[user=701]Notorious[/user] wrote:
How about naming the Top 5 based purely on high school dominance, with no regard to success after high school?

A few guys from Cavalier that I saw play alot that were dominant were

Brady Trenbeath- No position he couldn't play at a high level on the field
Rob Hunt - Quick and agile for his size, not many guys if anyone in the state could go one on one with him.
Matt Anderson - Could take ya outside with his speed or just put the shoulder down and run people over. Defensively you didn't wanna be hit by him and covered a lot of ground, 10 interception this year think that was a school record.

Those three were dominant for some pretty good Cavalier teams. They may not be the greatest to come out of the state but they were one of the best the years they played.
Last edited by ndfan on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Claz B Fan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:55 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=701]Notorious[/user] wrote:

Rob Hunt - Quick and agile for his size, not many guys if anyone in the state could go one on one with him.
Matt Anderson - Could take ya outside with his speed or just put the shoulder down and run people over. Defensively you didn't wanna be hit by him and covered a lot of ground, 10 interception this year think that was a school record.

Those three were dominant for some pretty good Cavalier teams. They may not be the greatest to come out of the state but they were one of the best the years they played.

Ther you have it folks, the All Time Cavalier team............
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby TJayU » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:11 am

I know we changed to "HS dominance only" but I just wanted to throw this in there as who I think the best football player ND produced...

Palmer Edward "Pete" Retzlaff (b. August 21, 1931) is a former professional American football player and general manager.

Retzlaff, nicknamed "Pistol Pete" and "The Baron", played football at Ellendale High School in Ellendale, North Dakota and starred in track and football at South Dakota State College. In 1952, he rushed for 1,016 yards.

He was drafted in 1953 by the Detroit Lions of the National Football League but did not make the team. After two years in the army, he was sold to the Philadelphia Eagles, where he played at running back, wide receiver, and tight end for eleven seasons. In 1958 he led the NFL with 56 pass receptions. He went to the Pro Bowl five times, and won the Bert Bell Award for NFL player of the year in 1965. He also served as president of the NFL Players Association.

From 1969 to 1972, he served as the Eagles' vice president and general manager.

Retzlaff's number 44 jersey has been retired by the Eagles.
TJayU

Postby BenchRanger » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:04 pm

The two top RB's inND were at UND in 94. One of them played hockey instead.

Philip Moore GFC/UND

Tom Philion Minot/UND Hockey

It's not how high you climb, but how high you bounce after you fall. Gen. George Patton
BenchRanger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby flatlander » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:02 am

Lots of good ones to choose from... I kinda think Weston Dressler had the best high school career.

My pick for running back would be Satter though. Can't argue with a guy who could run up the gut, make defenders look like statues in the open field, and catch the ball. He also punted at the collegiate level as well as being a record-setting return guy at NDSU.

At NDSU, Satter had 558 rushes for 4473 yards and 8.0 ypc. The bigger the game, the more yards he got too (128 carries for 1261 yards in the post season).

[url=http://www.diaafootball.com/graphics/test.wmv]
[/url][media=320,256]http://www.diaafootball.com/graphics/test.wmv[/media]

Credits: Clip from WDAY, Ed Schultz and Dana Mogck doing the announcing.

Last edited by flatlander on Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby Notorious » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:43 am

I would go with Satter.  Had he been blessed with just a little more speed, he would have been in the NFL for a long, long time.  I think he was realistically a 4.6 - 4.7 guy, but he had incredible vision and the sickest cutback move I've ever seen.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4life » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:54 pm

I know this is a post about people that are from north dakota and u have to take into regards there careers after high school, but if it was a post about High School players i would say that one would have to throw Jared Essler into the mix. he only went to NDSU but he was a solid QB and was Sneaky Fast
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 72 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:19 am

what about jim kleinsasser?
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:54 am

72 wrote:what about jim kleinsasser?

i think that if jimmy k was used more in the passing game (and why not, i'm pretty sure he can catch the ball a lot better than their wr's) he would get more respect as a great football player. right now he is a 'just' a great blocker, but blocking aint sexy...its hard work and no thanks.

rep

Postby carolina blue » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:23 am

[font=tahoma]Kyle Steffes, running back of Dickinson Trinity and NDSU . 2nd all time leading rusher of NDSU.[/font]
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby cardinal10 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:23 am

Obviously anyone that played high school ball in ND and played in the NFL has got to be among the best ever.  Retzlaff, Osborne, Kleinsasser, Hanson.  Even if these players developed in college, you know they were absolutely outstanding high school players.  Satter was a tremendous HS and college player, probably the fastest player with moves until Dressler has come along.  Steve Cichy was a freshman All-American at Notre Dame but then had injuries or he probably would have been a very good NFL player.  It will be interesting to see if Eslinger can come back from his injury, his potential with Denver is very high.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:46 am

bollinger played today, and looked pretty good for a cruddy Viking team
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:14 pm

One player who was awesome in hs but never played in college was Brian Dykema from SZ. I'm not sure how he would compete on this list as I think this is more for those who went on to college, but one can only wonder how far this kid could have gone.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby putupnumbers » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:49 pm

For one 10 interceptions by Anderson in still five shy from the cavalier season record. That record is held by Mike Boudire with 15. And his senior season he was not as big of a force defensively as his previous years.
putupnumbers

Postby fruit snack » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:54 pm

bob jenson
fruit snack

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:15 am

[user=2231]putupnumbers[/user] wrote:

For one 10 interceptions by Anderson in still five shy from the cavalier season record. That record is held by Mike Boudire with 15. And his senior season he was not as big of a force defensively as his previous years.

He wasn't as big a force defensively his senior season???? Are you serious??? If he isn't as big a force as he was in the past they don't go 11-1 and play in another state championship game. WHat he did his senior year was just as big as the three years before. The three years before he had studs all around him, and for what he did his senior year was amazing.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ballin24/7 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:12 pm

I think Kyle steffes is one'a the better running backs to come out of north dakota.He's being looked at by a couple ah nfl teams.He came out of trnity and play for ndsu.
ballin24/7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:04 pm

[user=2561]ballin24/7[/user] wrote:
I think Kyle steffes is one'a the better running backs to come out of north dakota.He's being looked at by a couple ah nfl teams.He came out of trnity and play for ndsu.

No doubt he is right up there in my book, i played against him in high school he was a stud!! Hands down the best to come out of Dickinson Trinity!!
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mauer07 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Kyle Steffes is the man
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby #50mandan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:56 pm

DID JIMMY KLEINSASSER RUN THE 100 METER IN HIGH SCHOOL? I HEARD HE DID  AND WAT WAS HIS WEIGHT IN HIGH SCHOOL BECAUSE RIGHT NOW HES LIKE 270 AND THATS ALOT OF WEIGHT OUT ON THE TRACK BUT THATS AN ATHLETE
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Football