Best ND high school QB

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:34 pm

Who's the best quarterback to play football in North Dakota? Give the one person who you think was the best in the state at QB.

I'm gonna go with Tim Oksendahl

2004 AA Senior player of year
2004 Gatorade player of year
3 time class AA all state, 3 time all region pick
4 yr starter, starting QB for 3 undefeated State championship teams
Threw for 5,776 and 77 touchdowns for career

Will start with this postion and go with other postions later.

let the debate begin :cool:
Last edited by ndfan on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:00 am

Did Rick Hedberg play HS FB in ND?

Also team accomplishments are not always a marker of individual ability.

Clay Wagner for example (embarassing that I couldn't recall his name)  had a great arm but no one to throw it to. 

Many nine man QB's put up big numbers but get pushed aside based on the level of competition.

Class AAA QB's are usually subjected to run orientated schemes so they don't have very impressive stats.

In the last decade I would say that my would be Oksendahl as well.

Kevin Feeney was a very talented player for the decade previous decade.

Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby UND9296 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:16 am

When I saw Brooks Bollinger play in high school, I remember thinking he was the best high school quarterback I'd ever seen. And obviously that was well before he became a four-year starter at Wisconsin and played in the NFL.

Also, I think you have to strongly consider Randy Hedberg from Parshall (?). Granted, he was before my time and I never saw him play, but he had to have been a heck of an athlete to make it to the NFL.

Other outstanding quarterbacks who I saw play were Chris Berg from South, Todd Kovash from Trinity, and the Wahl brothers (Ted and Korey) from Jamestown.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:39 am

My mistake Randy not Rick.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby 1337 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:48 am

UND9296 wrote:When I saw Brooks Bollinger play in high school, I remember thinking he was the best high school quarterback I'd ever seen. And obviously that was well before he became a four-year starter at Wisconsin and played in the NFL.

Oh yeah. I had the exact same feeling and I got to see him play multiple times. Foot work, reads, ability, it was all there. That's my vote.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby exwestcoach » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Shane Walth from Bismarck St. Mary's  from the late 1970's early 1980's was unbelievable, he had such field awareness, could throw (didn't need to), but his most amazing trait was his elusiveness, balance and propensity to turn any play into a thing of beauty with his scrambling ability, extremely quick.
exwestcoach

Postby Honus355 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:37 pm

I think one player that not many think about is Waye Terry from Valley City (1999). He only played one year of football in high school, but that year he was outstanding, just ask anybody that played against him in the East in AA that year. Could throw the ball a mile and could run like no quarterback I have ever seen. Ended up having a very successful first two years of college FB at first Rochester CC (led them to the National Junior College Championship) and then at Foothill Junior College in CA. Tranfered then to iowa State where some people thought he could be better then Seneca Wallace but unfortunately got injured (and never was the same player when he was healthy).
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballer2 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:12 am

I believe back in the day Jack Biesterfeld was an absolute stud from Wilton.  I beleive they retired his number and he does have a picture up in there school.  From what ive heard he had "1,000 rushing yards, and 900 pass yards" but i am not sure and that was just one season leading his team to the playoffs. Don't know anymore stats.  He also was a great blocker... i heard he blocked 3 guys at one time as a sophomore
Last edited by bballer2 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby flatlander » Fri May 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Kevin Feeney was pretty dang good - pretty much put a single-handed whooping on the Montana all-stars in the Badlands Bowl.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1_Chevy_1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:59 am

come on people havent u heard of the carrington kid Diilon Hewitt just wait till he brings carrington to the state championship
1_Chevy_1
NDPreps Starter

Postby klg_11 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:10 am

1_Chevy_1 wrote:come on people havent u heard of the carrington kid Diilon Hewitt
just wait till he brings carrington to the state championship

i think they are looking for people who have already proved themselves. Not people yet to come.----- This is in the legends forum:stir:
Last edited by klg_11 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
klg_11

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:31 am

Tim Oksendahl??? Come on people... Mike Salwei from Bismarck had similar team credentals in a level up and with all respect to Mike (He's a great guy!) no one throws him into this arguement... Oksendahl had ridiculous tools around him at all times... a 2,000yard runner and pretty decent receivers... Without the Trenbeaths, Anderson, Samson and a host of other guys Oksendahl doesn't do much of anything... Also the kid never did anything at UND nor is he still there so I don't think he belongs in at least the discussion of top 5 - 10. This could change if he plays well at VCSU... lets keep him out of it for the time being.

I think the kid is lucky if he makes it into the top 20 of QB in the state... I can name five right off of the top of my head from the last 20 years that are better (Meaning I'm missing at least another five and at least ten from before my time)... Todd Kovash, Brooks Bollinger, Kevin Feeney, Jared Essler, Jay Sheldon, Kyle Odermann. These are by no means my top five... just guys I could think of off the top of my head...

If you want reasoning behind any of these guys I'll give them but everyone of them went on to have great college careers except Sheldon... He backed up Nick Walker at DSU for like 8 yrs it seemed like but I'm told could have played anywhere else in the DAC-10... Nick Walker was All-American his last two years and holds just about every passing record at a pretty good football school in ND. Some may say Essler was just a running back who got the ball snapped to him every play but so was Eric Crouch or Tommie Frazier and they are looked upon pretty well when it comes to Legends at a College football powerhouse (Nebraska)... Essler single handily took Ryan to a state title...
Last edited by NorthDakota11 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:14 am

Sheldon also dislocated his hip in the Shrine game (ugliest injury I have ever seen).  Joined the guards and was away from the team.  Much better passer than Walker but not as overal athletic.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:16 am

NorthDakota11 wrote:Tim Oksendahl??? Come on people... Mike Salwei from Bismarck had similar team credentals in a level up and with all respect to Mike (He's a great guy!) no one throws him into this arguement... Oksendahl had ridiculous tools around him at all times... a 2,000yard runner and pretty decent receivers... Without the Trenbeaths, Anderson, Samson and a host of other guys Oksendahl doesn't do much of anything... Also the kid never did anything at UND nor is he still there so I don't think he belongs in at least the discussion of top 5 - 10. This could change if he plays well at VCSU... lets keep him out of it for the time being.

I think the kid is lucky if he makes it into the top 20 of QB in the state... I can name five right off of the top of my head from the last 20 years that are better (Meaning I'm missing at least another five and at least ten from before my time)... Todd Kovash, Brooks Bollinger, Kevin Feeney, Jared Essler, Jay Sheldon, Kyle Odermann. These are by no means my top five... just guys I could think of off the top of my head...

If you want reasoning behind any of these guys I'll give them but everyone of them went on to have great college careers except Sheldon... He backed up Nick Walker at DSU for like 8 yrs it seemed like but I'm told could have played anywhere else in the DAC-10... Nick Walker was All-American his last two years and holds just about every passing record at a pretty good football school in ND. Some may say Essler was just a running back who got the ball snapped to him every play but so was Eric Crouch or Tommie Frazier and they are looked upon pretty well when it comes to Legends at a College football powerhouse (Nebraska)... Essler single handily took Ryan to a state title...

alot of college arguements in that. Isnt this about who was the best HS QB? For that I'll put my money on Todd Wagner from Ellendale. Guy had a rifle...
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:22 am

About 6'4" and 215 as a senior.  Too bad he did't have kids around him to put up huge stats.   Threw about 65 yards feet planted shoulder width apart.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:57 pm

point/center wrote:
NorthDakota11 wrote:Tim Oksendahl??? Come on people... Mike Salwei from Bismarck had similar team credentals in a level up and with all respect to Mike (He's a great guy!) no one throws him into this arguement... Oksendahl had ridiculous tools around him at all times... a 2,000yard runner and pretty decent receivers... Without the Trenbeaths, Anderson, Samson and a host of other guys Oksendahl doesn't do much of anything... Also the kid never did anything at UND nor is he still there so I don't think he belongs in at least the discussion of top 5 - 10. This could change if he plays well at VCSU... lets keep him out of it for the time being.

alot of college arguements in that. Isnt this about who was the best HS QB? For that I'll put my money on Todd Wagner from Ellendale. Guy had a rifle...

I think in a thread like this we have to talk about what a kid went on to do... because there are lots of kids that had careers where there teams were very successful... I gave an example of one with Mike Salwei from Bismarck High. Great high school QB... but will never be mistaken as one of the greats... he was a game manager and he was good at it but he also had a great line and Weston Dressler among other great players around him.  Another guy I would like to bring up that I thought about later today is Fred Fridley Jr.... Great QB in high school but choose basketball over football in college... definitely a more dangerous all around football player then Oksendahl.

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:01 pm

All the guys I mentioned had stellar high school careers... with less talent around them...
Last edited by NorthDakota11 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Re:

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:13 pm

1337 wrote:
UND9296 wrote:When I saw Brooks Bollinger play in high school, I remember thinking he was the best high school quarterback I'd ever seen. And obviously that was well before he became a four-year starter at Wisconsin and played in the NFL.

Oh yeah. I had the exact same feeling and I got to see him play multiple times. Foot work, reads, ability, it was all there. That's my vote.

AMEN, when we played central, we just wondered who on our team was going to get burnt the most. can laugh about it now, it was to the point where we didnt necessarily play to win, just to make the rest of the team beat us.
ndbsktbllfan

Re: Best ND high school QB

Postby bighouse » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:01 pm

cherwinski richadton taylor didnt play college but could of if he didnt get injured
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Return to Football