A Track Star all along

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

A Track Star all along

Postby winner-within » Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 am

N.D. Class B high school track and field meet preview: He's making it look easy
Cavalier senior Chrest is one of state’s best in first season of track

By: Greg DeVillers, Grand Forks Herald

There never was time for track for Brandon Chrest.

The Cavalier High School senior plays baseball in the spring. And, until this year, his time away from the diamond was taken up by travel-team basketball tournaments. But with no college basketball in his future, Chrest had some free time.

“Everyone said I should try track,” Chrest said. “And I’m glad I did.”

Chrest may be a track rookie, but he’s taken to the sport quickly. He’s not only a qualifier for the North Dakota Class B high school track meet this weekend in Bismarck — Chrest is a top-five seed in two events.

“Now I wish I’d done track before,” said Chrest, who plans to play football at North Dakota State University in the future. “It would have helped my form. I’m going on natural athletic ability now; I have no form.”

The 6-foot-4 Chrest is tied for the No. 2 seed in the high jump, one of four who enter state with a season-best jump of 6 feet, 2 inches, and he’s cleared 6-5 in practice. In the 100, the senior is seeded fifth with a season-best time of 11.15 seconds. He also qualified individually in the 200 and long jump, but instead plans to run the 4x100 and 4x200 relays.

“Anything I put Brandon in, he’s excelled,” Cavalier coach Andrew Hay said. “It’s one of the craziest things I’ve seen. He’s just a total natural athlete. If he went out for golf, he’d be good at that, too. He excels at everything he does.

“When we convinced him to come out, it was pretty much just to run relays. Then he wanted to try the 100, and he barely missed qualifying the first time he ran it. It’s been a high ride for him ever since.”

Chrest, a pitcher-infielder who bats fourth in the Cavalier baseball lineup, said, “It’s surprised me. I thought I could be decent and help the team some. I was hoping I could qualify for state. I never thought I’d do this well.

“Now I’ll be disappointed if I don’t place high. When you do something well once, the expectations change.”

This figures to be a busy week for Chrest and fellow senior track-baseball athletes Brennan Thorlakson and Brady Robbins. They’re playing in the Region 4 baseball tournament, which began Monday and concludes Wednesday. On Thursday, it’s off to Bismarck for the trio. Thorlakson is a state qualifier in the triple jump. Robbins, like Chrest a first-year track athlete, qualified in the javelin.

“It will be a tough week for them,” Hay said. “But they’re all good athletes. I think they can do well at state.”

The seniors also are trying to close a school year that has been a mixture of success and disappointment. Cavalier was undefeated region champion in football, but was eliminated in the state playoff semifinals. In basketball, the Tornadoes’ bid for a second straight trip to the Class B state tournament ended with a loss to Grafton in the region championship game.

“It’s been a good year, but there have been disappointments,” Chrest said. “We want to end the year on a good note.”

GOOD JOB BRANDON, BEST OF LUCK TO ALL THE TORNADOES AT STATE!! :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: A Track Star all along

Postby ClassBEast » Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 am

Jalen Ham (Central Cass) has a similar story. Baseball is his primary sport and he plays in the regional championship game tonight against Kindred/Richland before heading to Bismarck to (hopefully) take home a couple of state titles. Good luck to Jalen and all of the other Central Cass athletes this weekend!
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gameplayer » Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 am

The seniors also are trying to close a school year that has been a mixture of success and disappointment. Cavalier was undefeated region champion in football, but was eliminated in the state playoff semifinals. In basketball, the Tornadoes’ bid for a second straight trip to the Class B state tournament ended with a loss to Grafton in the region championship game.

More disappointment for the Tornadoes. Lost to Drayton-St. Thomas-Valley-Edinburg in Region 4 baseball tournament.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu May 26, 2011 11:31 am

ClassBEast wrote:Jalen Ham (Central Cass) has a similar story. Baseball is his primary sport and he plays in the regional championship game tonight against Kindred/Richland before heading to Bismarck to (hopefully) take home a couple of state titles. Good luck to Jalen and all of the other Central Cass athletes this weekend!

Its fun to watch runners, they are simply using only what the good Lord gave them and some shoes....Takes alot of Heart to jump in a Race with the fastest of the fast.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu May 26, 2011 11:41 am

gameplayer wrote:

More disappointment for the Tornadoes. Lost to Drayton-St. Thomas-Valley-Edinburg in Region 4 baseball tournament.

Its nice That the Majority of this Forum have Won most everything suffering no Loss.
Remember "its how you handle Loss in life as to how far you will go in life".....In other words, is it really the TRUE detriment of every contest? :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri May 27, 2011 8:50 am

That's pretty impressive to be one of the top jumpers in the state along with being one of the fastest as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri May 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Cavalier Quad beats the School Record in the 4X100.... 44.44..... Congrats you beat some fast dudes, dudes!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Second in State in the 100 Brandon, are you serious????....Whoa!!! ....And Second in the High Jump......that's Aw-Inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....and Anchoring the 4 by 1, finishing first....Hot Diggity!!!

Good Luck with the Bison.....They dont have to worry about your speed or being able to go up and get it...Lol!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:18 pm

Quite possibly the most impressive athlete in the state this past season.

I assume he was all state in football. His track meet was sensational. He should have been all state in basketball, in my opinion. Wow.

Also heard he was a very good baseball player.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Return to Track and Field