Approaching

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Approaching

Postby ndtrack3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Track season is approaching very quickly, feb. 28 to be exact.
Anyone have any news, thoughts, predictions to share???
ndtrack3
NDPreps Starter

Re: Approaching

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Track in the eastern half of the state is going to probably be delayed when flooding begins...especially for those in the southern Red River valley.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndtrack3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:06 pm

Let's hope not.
ndtrack3
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndtrack3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:07 pm

We can't forget about indoor also. Good barometer to see who has been doin' work in the off-season.
ndtrack3
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:48 pm

ndtrack3 wrote:We can't forget about indoor also. Good barometer to see who has been doin' work in the off-season.

I would actually argue the opposite. Those who do well at the beginning of the season seem to be the kids who didn't train, but as the season goes on those who did work in the off-season start to pull away.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Perfect Storm09 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 pm

That's interesting. If a kid has been training the whole off-season, how do you figure he won't do well coming out at the beginning of the season??
"I don't know how many years I can steal this many bags, so I figure I've got to get 'em now."
The Perfect Storm09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm

The Perfect Storm09 wrote:That's interesting. If a kid has been training the whole off-season, how do you figure he won't do well coming out at the beginning of the season??

He's just stating that those who have been training in the off-season may not be near the top during the indoor season...but because of their enhanced training for their respected events in the off-season...those athletes will be near the top at season's end.

theman - Am I on the right page there?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby theman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Perfect Storm09 wrote:That's interesting. If a kid has been training the whole off-season, how do you figure he won't do well coming out at the beginning of the season??

He's just stating that those who have been training in the off-season may not be near the top during the indoor season...but because of their enhanced training for their respected events in the off-season...those athletes will be near the top at season's end.

Pretty much. Look at it this way: the kids who have not been training still have pretty fresh bodies. The kids who have been training should be drained, like they should be. But as the season progresses you'll be able to see who trained and who didn't. I know people, like myself, who do very poorly at the beginning of the season, but always come around about 3/4 through the season.
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Perfect Storm09 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:39 pm

I understand where you're coming from. But I don't agree with your theory.
A kid training in the off-season OBVIOUSLY has the edge..right. But saying that they should be "drained" is false. You don't train all off-season to come into the season "drained." If an athlete is smart, they would give their body a rest for about a week or more before the season starts. Thus being as PRIMED as they possibly can to begin the season and be ready to bust their stuff they've been working for all off-season.
"I don't know how many years I can steal this many bags, so I figure I've got to get 'em now."
The Perfect Storm09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:05 pm

The Perfect Storm09 wrote:I understand where you're coming from. But I don't agree with your theory.
A kid training in the off-season OBVIOUSLY has the edge..right. But saying that they should be "drained" is false. You don't train all off-season to come into the season "drained." If an athlete is smart, they would give their body a rest for about a week or more before the season starts. Thus being as PRIMED as they possibly can to begin the season and be ready to bust their stuff they've been working for all off-season.

Look at results. How many kids are in the top 10 or 20 at the beginning of the year, but are invisible once state comes around?
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Perfect Storm09 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Right, but people in the high teens probably aren't even in contention for state anyway. Also, if you were to look at the main threats i.e. leingang, neumiller, barnes, its not like they weren't near the top at the beginning of the year. It's not like they come out of nowhere. My point is that the people that train hard are definitely going to be near the top, especially at the beginning of the season. AND THEN they will pull away even more.
The Perfect Storm09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:15 pm

How about in Cross Country last year? One of the top 5 runners wasn't even ranked in the top 10 until halfway through the season. How do you explain that? I bet he worked pretty hard in the summer!
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Perfect Storm09 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Yeah you're right. I guess it can vary by event too though. You're a distance runner i'm guessing, and I don't know too much about that so maybe its different. All in all, whoever has worked hard, it will show in their performances.
The Perfect Storm09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Trackrunner94 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:31 pm

theman wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Pretty much. Look at it this way: the kids who have not been training still have pretty fresh bodies. The kids who have been training should be drained, like they should be. But as the season progresses you'll be able to see who trained and who didn't. I know people, like myself, who do very poorly at the beginning of the season, but always come around about 3/4 through the season.

All in all i think that those who have been training in the off-season will prove to have a little better edge at the begining of the season, also i think they will be able to improve more as the season progresses. But then again with athletes this young its hard to tell. Anything can happen. Lets just wait and find out.
Trackrunner94
NDPreps Rookie

Postby RunOrDie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

If you train in the off season it will show early. The kids who come out of the bushes late in the season are usually the ones who didn't train in the winter. but thats just my opinion. But with indoor meets it's tough to tell. It's hard for HS guys to run well indoors when they don't hardly get any experience with it. Anyone know the dates of some good indoor meets? when is the ND State Indoor and who is expected to show up?
"He who has a reason why can bear with almost any how." Nietzsche
RunOrDie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm

RunOrDie wrote:If you train in the off season it will show early. The kids who come out of the bushes late in the season are usually the ones who didn't train in the winter. but thats just my opinion. But with indoor meets it's tough to tell. It's hard for HS guys to run well indoors when they don't hardly get any experience with it. Anyone know the dates of some good indoor meets? when is the ND State Indoor and who is expected to show up?

So basically what you are saying is that if you don't take off-season training seriously, you still do well at the end of the season? Nope. You start to burn out. I see it every year.
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller_2010 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:55 pm

I'd like to disagree with theman's theory on training. I had trained excessively hard over the offseason last year, came into indoor and beat quite a few people that I had never beat before, then as we progressed to outdoors my times barely dropped because I was already in shape, while the people I was beating got into shape and proceeded to beat me consistently like they had previous years (albeit not by near as much). I'm a sprinter though and not a distance runner, so maybe there's some difference there.
Baller_2010
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Baller_2010 wrote:I'd like to disagree with theman's theory on training. I had trained excessively hard over the offseason last year, came into indoor and beat quite a few people that I had never beat before, then as we progressed to outdoors my times barely dropped because I was already in shape, while the people I was beating got into shape and proceeded to beat me consistently like they had previous years (albeit not by near as much). I'm a sprinter though and not a distance runner, so maybe there's some difference there.

You are right about one thing: you cannot compare distance to sprints. Not even close.
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RunOrDie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 pm

It seems like there is something that needs to be cleared up, we have began talking about two different things, those being 'burning out' and 'reaching best potential'. these are two very different subjects. with the question of off season training, I believe that if you put in a good off season you will reach a higher potential at the end than if you didn't have a good off season. But, I also believe that with the length of the track season, if you have a poor off season there is enough time to get into good shape, it just won't be your best shape. thats what I was meaning with my earlier post. now as for the subject of 'burning out', I don't think that has to do at all with the off season training. It's all about good coaching. A great coach will never overtrain his athletes and have them burn out at the end of the season. If a guy doesn't train in the off season the coach should know that and design a workout regime that will have him peaking at the end of the season.
"He who has a reason why can bear with almost any how." Nietzsche
RunOrDie
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Track and Field