Steeplechase

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Steeplechase

Postby theman » Sat May 08, 2010 1:54 pm

I want to know whether or not you support some form of this event being incorporated in North Dakota Track and Field, and why.
Personally, I'd love to have it, but I wonder if enough kids would do it...
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Steeplechase

Postby 3sportathlete » Tue May 11, 2010 9:03 pm

yea id love to do a 3k steeple chase
3sportathlete
NDPreps Rookie

Postby dwade » Wed May 19, 2010 1:29 pm

theman wrote:I want to know whether or not you support some form of this event being incorporated in North Dakota Track and Field, and why.
Personally, I'd love to have it, but I wonder if enough kids would do it...

I heard it is too dangerous to be in high school sports. I heard they tried something like this down in Barnsburn, Tennessee and some kid almost died. I doubt it will ever come back to high school sports.
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby crazy old man » Thu May 20, 2010 1:14 pm

I heard about that accident. Sounded pretty rough.
crazy old man
NDPreps Rookie

Postby RunOrDie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 pm

I think it is a great event. Is it too dangerous for high school? I don't think so, as long as the athletes are properly coached. But I don't think there is room for it in ND high school track. A lot of distance runners already run 3-4 events at state. adding another distance race would be too much. On a side note, I'm not sure where you all are from but every year at one of Jametowns HS meets they have the 2k Steeple as an event. It's a pretty entertaining event and seems to always run smoothly without any problems.
"He who has a reason why can bear with almost any how." Nietzsche
RunOrDie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BHSrunner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:04 am

RunOrDie wrote:I think it is a great event. Is it too dangerous for high school? I don't think so, as long as the athletes are properly coached. But I don't think there is room for it in ND high school track. A lot of distance runners already run 3-4 events at state. adding another distance race would be too much. On a side note, I'm not sure where you all are from but every year at one of Jametowns HS meets they have the 2k Steeple as an event. It's a pretty entertaining event and seems to always run smoothly without any problems.

It's entertaining because it's a joke. No legitimate coach would put a decent runner in that race, because it just isn't trained properly in HS.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby RunOrDie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:24 pm

I don't think a meet would institue an event as a joke. The athletes who participate in it compete hard. Every once in a while there is a funny guy who just wants to mess around in the water, but the meet officials take the event very seriously and DQ any participants who mess around. But, that is just talking about the race at the Jamestown meet, the thread topic is about adding steeplechase to every meet, and if that happened it would be taken serious by everyone, coaches and athletes.
RunOrDie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dwade » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:03 am

RunOrDie wrote:I think it is a great event. Is it too dangerous for high school? I don't think so, as long as the athletes are properly coached. But I don't think there is room for it in ND high school track. A lot of distance runners already run 3-4 events at state. adding another distance race would be too much. On a side note, I'm not sure where you all are from but every year at one of Jametowns HS meets they have the 2k Steeple as an event. It's a pretty entertaining event and seems to always run smoothly without any problems.

You don't realize just how dangerous this event can be and is. Much trainning goes into the event and even those at the elite levels must take precautions in participating in this event. A lot of preperation and planning goes into an event like this and, as was seen in Barnsburn, high school athletes are not ready for an event like this on a weekly basis. Many high schools around the country have seriously discussed implementing this event into their meets but it always comes back to this question on safety and generally agree that it is not worth the risk to the athletes health over the course of a track season. So before you dismiss the safety of the student athletes, maybe you should do some research on the topic and understand that it is a realistic risk that simply cannot be ignored. Ignorance is the cause of many problems in this country, hopefully not more to come. WAKE UP People!
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RunOrDie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:16 pm

dwade wrote:
You don't realize just how dangerous this event can be and is. Much trainning goes into the event and even those at the elite levels must take precautions in participating in this event. A lot of preperation and planning goes into an event like this and, as was seen in Barnsburn, high school athletes are not ready for an event like this on a weekly basis. Many high schools around the country have seriously discussed implementing this event into their meets but it always comes back to this question on safety and generally agree that it is not worth the risk to the athletes health over the course of a track season. So before you dismiss the safety of the student athletes, maybe you should do some research on the topic and understand that it is a realistic risk that simply cannot be ignored. Ignorance is the cause of many problems in this country, hopefully not more to come. WAKE UP People!

I have 5 years of first-hand personal experience in running the steeplechase so I think you could say I 'understand' the topic. Yes it has risks, but doesn't every event? Look at the javelin, or pole vault, aren't those dangerous too? Even outside of track, would you say football is less dangerous than the steeplechase? Basically every city in North Dakota has 5th grade football, but you say that the steeplechase for high school athletes is too dangerous? Spare me. It all comes down to the responsibility of the coaches being able to educate the athletes on proper technique, if this is done it could be a successful high school event.
RunOrDie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun May 18, 2014 11:28 pm

BHSrunner wrote:No legitimate coach would put a decent runner in that race, because it just isn't trained properly in HS.

Lisbon's coach (Howell?) let his kids run it and he won how many state titles. My coach who also won a state title let me run it 4 out of 4 years in Jamestown.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Track and Field