Best Ever, Track Athletes??

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Ever, Track Athletes??

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:00 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:weston leutz's father was tom leutz who competed for the olympics. I believe he missed the team by one spot. Tom also had a teammate name steph weiand who also was one of the all time best. I believe he still holds 2 records at NDSU. Pretty impressive considering they both graduated in 1979 from Hebron ND.

Can't forget the Wells girl from Dickinson and that girl from Bownman from the mid 90's. Can't recall her name as of now, but I'm sure somebody will. GOT IT..Tonya Fischer.

Becky Wells?

Craig Pigeon from Rolette was pretty dominant in the early to mid 80's. Ended up running at UND.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller030 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:10 am

WalkingStick wrote:Yeah Todhunter from GF Red River won the 110 and 300 hurdles; he also did well in his other events last weekend.

he also took second or first in the 200M dash loosing or winning by like 2 one thousands of a second probly the closest race i will ever see in my life time
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

-- Michael Jordan--
baller030
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:45 am

baller030 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Yeah Todhunter from GF Red River won the 110 and 300 hurdles; he also did well in his other events last weekend.

he also took second or first in the 200M dash loosing or winning by like 2 one thousands of a second probly the closest race i will ever see in my life time

He got 2nd in the 200 Dash...and was 4th in the 100 Dash!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:00 am

Whitney Carlson is way up there in Class B girls, but Lindsay Anderson of Leeds is pretty close. She was a dominant distance runner with 14 state titles and is currently running for Iowa.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:58 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Whitney Carlson is way up there in Class B girls, but Lindsay Anderson of Leeds is pretty close. She was a dominant distance runner with 14 state titles and is currently running for Iowa.

You sir, are correct about Linsday Anderson. In cross, she consistently ran low 14's. Not even Alissa Mears can do that.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Favrefan4ever » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Definatelyy whitney carlson and lindsey anderson for class b girls
class a girls: laura roesler, ellie grooters
class b boys: not sure
class a boys: weston leutz, ryan chapell GFC, weston dressler
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"-Steve Prefontaine
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby Favrefan4ever » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:25 pm

UND9296 wrote:Ryan Chappell may be the only male class A athlete to win four individual running events in one state meet, and he still holds both hurdle records. Also, Howard Hausauer was the most dominant thrower I've ever personally seen in North Dakota.

he no longer holds the 300 hurdle record i believe that now belongs to ryan todhunter
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"-Steve Prefontaine
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stallng » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:49 am

H Laf
Stallng
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Stallng wrote:H Laf

....................and what is that?
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stallng » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:50 pm

theman wrote:

The greatest jav thrower on this side of 83, no sarcasm this guy is the real deal if he goes out.
Stallng
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Stallng wrote:
theman wrote:

The greatest jav thrower on this side of 83, no sarcasm this guy is the real deal if he goes out.

So what side is "this" side, and who is H Laf?
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PrepFBrules » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:29 pm

flatlander, i think you nailed em.

Track & field isn't always the most exciting thing to watch, esp in ND. However the state meet always has a few freaks as mentioned above that are truly amazing to watch. I watched Carlson in her senior year, wow.
PrepFBrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mr. All Day » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 am

WalkingStick wrote:
goteam11 wrote:Yeah she is probably at the top. weston Loitz? dont know how to spell it but ran for century a couple years ago.

Leutz

I would agree he was a BEAST
Mr. All Day
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargorunner » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:25 pm

I didn't see Becki Wells name here and that is a shame. There have been a lot of good runners, but the best Miler easily from ND and able to run from 400 on up. Tell me who else has ran a 4:43 mile in High School. At Florida, she ran a 4:36 indoor mile and won some SEC titles. Later, the Olympic Trials. Her sister Cami is a D1 coach.
fargorunner
NDPreps Rookie

Postby fargorunner » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:32 pm

oneshot wrote:Rob Heen from Williston...not saying best ever, but ran a 4:16 1600m in 1987, and I think a 9:08 in the 3200m...ended up at the U. of Wisconsin I believe.

The thing about Rob Heen was that he never got beat in High School Cross Country. Everybody else has a bad day and sooner or later gets beat. I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but about every 4 years, there is a great big stud that comes out of Williston High. Heen, Ihmels, Jory, Brian Moen, some others I forget. The Coach??? And I'm not from there, by the way...it seems like it has always been that way.
fargorunner
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndtrack3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 pm

Weston leutz hands down
ndtrack3
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakFan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 am

I'm seeing two generations of opinions here. Big Poppa, I think you are from the older generation. The rest of you from the last 5-6 years. I think the "best ever" could go to many people dependent upon the event. Best distance, Rob Heen or Paulo Costa (no one has come close!) Best thrower, Haushauer maybe? Of this generation, Roesler deserves all of the recognition. She is a phenom. She is the Dagny Knutson of Track and Field in our time. I would like to pose a tangent question - What town/city would you consider the best track and field producer in the state of all time? My vote goes to Beulah.
NodakFan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cheeze it » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 am

laura roesler definitely
cheeze it
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cookie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:09 pm

I would have to say Jill Jahner from Linton was one of the best track athletes in her time,1983-1986.
cookie
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Old Baller » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Someone mentioned Drexel Lawson's name earlier from the mid 70's. He has got to be considered one of the best, if not the best, track athletes ever to wear spikes in ND. I once read a quote that there were three classes of track and field in North Dakota at that time: Class A, Class B, and Drexel Lawson. When you consider that he was deaf, what he accomplished is even more amazing. He was a very good BB player also.

I invite everyone to go to this website for the ND School for the Deaf to see what this kid did back then:

http://ndsdsociety.org/drexel-lawson-ba ... -and-track
Last edited by Old Baller on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:55 pm

There was a guy from Leonard back in the 1970s also (his name is slipping my memory at the moment)...he won the Class B state title back in 1973 by himself...he also still holds two Region 1 track records (which I am looking for the exact events and times) with times/distances that may stand for quite some time.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby cardinal10 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:59 pm

I believe his name was John Harris from Leonard. For girls, Roesler by far. Other standouts-Patti Purpur(GFRR) in the throws, Chris Hoper (Beulah)-sprints, along with others mentioned, Carlson and Wells (4:4? something 1600 was impressive to watch). For boys, Cliff Cushman was IN the Olympics, Drexel Lawson was way ahead of his time. Steve Held--224 feet in the javelin-no flight restrictions back then. Ihmels ran 9:03 in 20-30 degree weather. Hey let's face it there have been tons of greats in ND. Thanks to all the coaches that got them there.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby ordeen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:19 am

quinn baumann is possibly the best stick thrower on this side of the mississippi
ordeen
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jimknut » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:33 pm

In no specific order the best track and field athletes (male) are some of the following. These athletes were
more than good, they were ones who did things never seen before.
John Bennett long jump grand forks, silver medal 1956 olympics helsinki.
Cliff Cushman, 400 hurdles, grand forks, silver medal 1960 olympics rome.
Drexel Lawson North Dakota School for the Deaf, Pan Am Games Gold medal. 10 state titles
Phil Farris. Langdon, High School, 9.6 100, 6 jumps over 23" state indoor, won 4 events state outdoor, drafted by the dever boncos.
Steve Held Carrington high school javelin, 229 foot high school throw 260 foot throw at Arizona.
Leonard Sundahl Mohall High School javelin, 172'11" high school state champ (wooden javelin) 240' at west coast relays 1939 ranked 3rd in the united states. This is just a list and gives the reader something to compare to.
jimknut
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsnut5 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 pm

I don't think she is the best ever, but Staci Honeyman from Scranton must be mentioned as a distance runner who raised the bar when it comes to Class B Girls Track and Field. She dominated the distance events for a while as a younger runner and then had many great battles on the track with the Anderson girls from Leeds. She held state records in the mile and two mile as well has won her share of state championships in those events. She received a scholarship to run at Wake Forrest University where injuries cut her running career short. While not the best of all time, she definitely led the charge in transcending distance running at the Class B level. Both Anderson girls continued this improvement in the distance events and led it to even greater heights.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Track and Field