Best Ever, Track Athletes??

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Ever, Track Athletes??

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Better girls athletes from ND:
2000s:
Laura Roesler (Fargo South)
Whitney Carlson (Carrington)
Krista & Lindsay Anderson (Leeds/Benson County)
Ellie Grooters (West Fargo)

Pre-2000s:
Staci Honeyman (Scranton)
Becki Wells (Dickinson)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NDplayin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Better girls athletes from ND:
2000s:
Laura Roesler (Fargo South)
Whitney Carlson (Carrington)
Krista & Lindsay Anderson (Leeds/Benson County)
Ellie Grooters (West Fargo)

Pre-2000s:
Staci Honeyman (Scranton)
Becki Wells (Dickinson)

I agree with everyone on your list. However, I would say that Kelsey Aide is as equally deserving to be on that list as the Anderson sisters.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsnut5 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Isn't it amazing how blessed we have been with great athletes through the years. Decade after decade we could come up with lists of athletes that have amazed. It is just great to have seen many of these athletes perform over the years.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby Old Baller » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:11 pm

I'll throw another athlete's name into the ring from way back in the early '60's - Don Blevins of Fort Yates. He was outstanding in a number of sports but probably was most dominant in track and cross country. He was arguably the best all around high school athlete of the decade. Unfortunately, he died way too young in an automobile accident. Here is an article from a SOUTH DAKOTA newspaper that details his many accomplishments:

A member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, Don was an outstanding athlete in football, basketball and track and in 1964 was named the North Dakota High School Male Athlete of the Year when he led the Warriors to the North Dakota State B basketball championship. In high school, Blevins was a member of two cross country state championship teams, they were runner-up the other year; helped two teams to the state track championship and two runner up finishes; helped his basketball team to the state championship in 1964 and third place in 1963 and to an undefeated season in football in 1963 and an overall record on the gridiron of 36 wins and four losses. Individually, Blevins averaged nearly four touchdowns a game when he was a senior, averaged 28.4 points a game in basketball and never lost an 880 yard run in track for three years. He won the state championship in the 880 in ‘62-‘64, the 440 in ’63 and ‘64, his mile relay team won the state title in ‘61-‘64 and the half mile relay in ‘62, and he set an 880 record that stood for 17 years.

Attending Dickinson State Teachers College, Don continued to excel as he lettered in football for three years, two years in basketball and was a three year letterman in track. After graduating from college, Don taught and coached at Solen High School on the Standing Rock Reservation, coaching Solen to their highest finish ever in basketball, losing in the Regionals to the eventual state champion. On the side, Blevins took up bronc riding and eventually enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. While stationed in San Diego, he was killed in an auto accident in 1972.
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DCFan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:13 pm

1981 Class B State Track Meet. Won by 2 guys from Hebron. Steph Weiand and Tom Leutz. Both went on to NDSU. Steph still holds records there. Amazing!! Tom competed in the decathalon and just missed getting on the Olympic team. He was also inducted into the Bison hall of Fame.
DCFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:11 am

How about Morgan Milbrath from Minot High. I think she broke most, if not all of Roesler's records.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:40 am

Laura is second all time in the 100, first in the 200, 400, and 800, 8th in the 1600. Morgan is third all time in the 100, second in the 200 and 400, and 7th in the 300 hurdles.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Snapalopes » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:18 am

Soon to be Jake Leingang
Snapalopes
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Snapalopes wrote:Soon to be Jake Leingang

Agreed. This kid, as a junior, just broke the state record for the 3200 meters by 5 seconds. ...Did I mention it was on an indoor track, before the hard track workouts even start? He just, by himself at the first outdoor meet of the year, ran a mile time that would win most state class A championships (4:17). Did I mention he's a junior? I think we could put him on the list now.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Track and Field