State meet needs to be televised

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State meet needs to be televised

Postby flatlander » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:30 pm

Seriously, they used to televise the state track meet... it's a great event and I think it's a shame that it's not televised. IMO, it's a heckuva more entertaining than the Olympics.

Think there's any chance this'll happen?
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Re: State meet needs to be televised

Postby rep » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm

i think it would be cool, but the logistics of covering a track meet are nearly impossible. you'd have to have about 20 camera guys staged at different places throughout the meet and someone pretty salty in the truck handling everything.

money-wise and man-power-wise, i just don't know how one station would pull it off.
rep

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:00 pm

add baseball before track....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:02 pm

something else i'd like to see on tv...baseball is one sport that is custom-made to be on the tube and while i don't know how they'd pull it off (jack brown doesn't really have a good place in the outfield for a tv camera) it would be fun to it.
rep

Postby flatlander » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Actually, the state track meet used to be televised - they stopped in the early '80s. It didn't really take that many cameras back then - pretty much one on top of the pressbox and one roaming for field events. More cameras would be nice, but unnecessary.

I was kind of think a tape-delayed to start with.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:17 am

flatlander wrote:Actually, the state track meet used to be televised - they stopped in the early '80s. It didn't really take that many cameras back then - pretty much one on top of the pressbox and one roaming for field events. More cameras would be nice, but unnecessary.

I was kind of think a tape-delayed to start with.

yeah but then if you wouldn't have enough camera's you would get complaints... and people would complain because there hole feild event wouldn't get televised... or something like that... there is almost to many things going on in a state track meet at once that it would be hard to televise it
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby mplsfan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:52 pm

I don't remember the state meet ever being televised. I do however remember a couple years (early to mid 80's I think) of an event that followed the A and B state meets that paired the A placers against the B placers from the state meet. I don't believe it was anything offical as far as the NDHSAA was concerned, it may have been privately sponsored. Anyway, I do remember that event being televised. Am I wrong?
Does anyone else remember this? Jog my memory if I'm way off.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby 14>35 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:35 pm

get the cameras there for the finals only? and if a race is about to start in the middle of an athlete in a field event, switch over to the race, watch that, then head back to the field event and maybe play a replay of the last attempt or fill in on what had happened.
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:02 pm

at one point i thought one of the posters here worked for bek...if he/she is still around, i wonder if they could kind of give us a rundown of how possible it would be for tv to cover something like that?
rep

Postby football_1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:03 pm

i feel that state track and field should be televised along with state wrestling :)
football_1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tony » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:15 am

nplsfan, you are correct. The meet that used to be televised was the St. Mary's All-Star meet. The meet took place a week before the state meet and was the premiere track event in North Dakota. The top ND times (distances or heights in field events) in each event were invited to participate, regardless of whether the athlete was Class A or Class B. The meet was discontinued in 1976 I believe. My recollection is that the NDHSAA no longer allowed the meet since it became more popular than the state meet since it included the best class A and B athletes competing against each other to find the best in the state at each event. The meet was relatively short in duration as I believe they only had one heat (a final) for each race.
tony

Postby flatlander » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Not sure what is going on - didn't even know I was registered with the login of "tony". However, tony = flatlander (so that means so far only one person, me, remembers the state track meet being televised). Also not sure how I managed mplsfan's post onto the end of mine.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:59 pm

rep wrote:at one point i thought one of the posters here worked for bek...if he/she is still around, i wonder if they could kind of give us a rundown of how possible it would be for tv to cover something like that?

I thought that BEK had something to do with webcasting the state wrestling meet. I could be wrong however.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:41 pm

flatlander wrote:Not sure what is going on - didn't even know I was registered with the login of "tony". However, tony = flatlander (so that means so far only one person, me, remembers the state track meet being televised). Also not sure how I managed mplsfan's post onto the end of mine.

You are not the only one. I believe I remember it being televised in 86 or 87 or maybe both years - but then they stopped doing it at that time as well - Not sure of the reasoning - but I thought at that time - they did a pretty good job of covering it.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:07 pm

flatlander wrote:Seriously, they used to televise the state track meet... it's a great event and I think it's a shame that it's not televised. IMO, it's a heckuva more entertaining than the Olympics.

Think there's any chance this'll happen?

haha
Wheres the knee
LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoopster* » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 am

they should put in on tv. expect I go every year to watch anyways haha. But yea its very entertaining
hoopster*
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Track and Field