Nathan McGee

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby project-pat » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:01 pm

By MICHAEL WEBER
Bismarck Tribune

Bowman County's Nathan McGee has never been overly concerned about how he finishes in regular-season cross country meets - or even Class B West Region meets.

To him, the only race that really matters is the one run at the state meet.

Which explains why the three-time all-stater isn't bothered at all by the fact that he wasn't mentioned in the Class B individual poll the past week.

"I like coming into every year without big expectations," said the BC senior, who was ranked No. 8 earlier in the season. "The polls change all the time. ... It all depends on how you do that week. In other years I was ranked low or not at all, but I still finished in the top 10. I treat the (regular) season as a time to get ready for state. I want to do well in every race I run, but state's where it counts most."

History shows that McGee usually saves his best performance of the season for the state meet. As a freshman, he came in a surprising second behind two-time state champion Russell Dixon of New Town. That followed a ninth-place finish in the regional. In 2005, McGee was ranked No. 7 in the final Class B poll, but legged out a fourth-place finish at state. Last season, he capped an injury-plagued junior campaign with a seventh-place finish. That came a week after he placed 16th in the region meet.

"At state, it's pretty much all adrenaline," McGee said. "The competition and the atmosphere really get you going. All you think about is running as hard as you can and winning. Last year, I ran with a leg injury and it bothered me at the regional. But I didn't feel any pain at state."

"The big meets bring out the best in Nathan," added Bowman County coach Duane Bowman. "He's a competitive kid who loves being in those situations."

McGee's second-place finish in the 2004 state meet remains the highwater mark of his high school career.

"That was awesome. ... I had a great race," McGee said. "I think I surprised a lot of people but I really felt that I could get into the top five. Anything can happen at a state meet. No matter who you are, you always have a chance to do better than anyone expects. I haven't been able to match that since, but I'm hoping to make a run at a big finish this year."

McGee has run in three meets this season, including the 21-team Mandan Kiwanis Invitational last Saturday. He finished 19th overall in that race, but was the sixth Class B runner to finish. Among those finishing ahead of him were No. 1-ranked and defending state champion Patrick Wolf of New Town (second), No. 6 Jayce Seelig of Lisbon (15th) and No. 10 Jordan Cieslak of Beulah-Hazen (13th).

"I was hoping to do better in that one, but I felt good at the end of it," McGee said. "I have a lot of improving to do, but it's early. I'll keep working at it."

The West Region is loaded with many of the state's top runners, including Wolf, No. 5 Jeremy Grinnell and No. 7 Justin Grinnell of New Town; No. 2 Robin Iron Shield of Solen, No. 9 Justin Many Ribs of Parshall, and Cieslak.

"I see those guys quite a bit and it's always fun to run against them," McGee said. "You can't help but get better when you run against good competition."

The 2007 state meet will be held Oct. 27 at Minot's Souris Valley Golf Course. It happens to be one of McGee's favorite courses.

"I ran there once before and I loved it," he said. "What I like most about it is it has lots of hills. I'm not a fast guy and the hills help even things out a little. I'm looking forward to it."
Last edited by project-pat on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Return to Track and Field