Senior athlete of the year for Class A

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby nd-ball41 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:25 pm

I know that Weston Leutz was much deserving of the award, but I don't think that they should have left out Sam Larson. They could have at least been co-senior athletes. I think by giving it to just one of them, kinda robbed the other of the award. They compete in totally different types of races, and it is very hard to compare them that way,  But Congradulations to the both of them on their fine HS careers, and will be seeing both next year @ NDSU!!
nd-ball41

Postby 2424 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:24 pm

emily black is also going to NDSU!!!!
"when in Rome"
NDPreps Reserve

Postby squeak63 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:26 pm

seems like most of the really good track/feild athletes are goin to ndsu
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby just a bb fan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:36 am

GO NDSU BISON!!!
just a bb fan

Postby ahhhh » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:19 pm

leutz
ahhhh

Postby HitManHoops » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:52 pm

nd-ball41 wrote:I know that Weston Leutz was much deserving of the award, but I don't think that they should have left out Sam Larson. They could have at least been co-senior athletes. I think by giving it to just one of them, kinda robbed the other of the award. They compete in totally different types of races, and it is very hard to compare them that way,  But Congradulations to the both of them on their fine HS careers, and will be seeing both next year @ NDSU!!

I totally agree... I was very surprised that they didn't give two awards. I felt that Larson got jipped out of it. But NDSU will have a very good team next year, so good luck to them!
HitManHoops

Postby cdub1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:28 pm

they both won all of their individuals at state i think weston won it because he was in 3 types of events (sprint hurdle and high jump) where larson was a pure distance runner

SHOULD HAVE been a tie though

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby flatlander » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:29 am

Gotto go with Leutz on this one. While Larson was really impressive, Leutz not only won events but his times were some of the best ever run in North Dakota. Heck, he smashed the 110M hurdle mark but didn't get the record because of the wind - something that happened to him three times out of four races at State the last two years.

The other reason to give it to Leutz is that while he won four events at state, he could have won other events if he entered them. Who could have beat him in the 300 hurdles? Plus, he'd have been my pick to 400 and finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the 100. And that's not counting the three relays that Century would had a very good shot at with Leutz running (400, 800, and 1600). They guy could have had a top 3 podium finish in at least 10 events.

That's not to take anything away from Sam Larson though. I can't wait to see those two guys competing for NDSU.

flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby opinionated » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Neither one of them owns a state record. Sam missed the overall state record set by Rob Heen in the late 80's by less than a second. I think he would have ran more events but he had already run about 4 miles those two days between all his events. Sam Larson finished his career with 9  state championships between cross country and track and Leutz finished with 9 ( 1 was a relay as a freshman). As far as doing all those events most good athletes who run shorter distances do qualify in many more events because there are only 4 real distance events in track and field There are 7 short distance races between the 100, 200, 400 2 hurdle events and a couple of relays. Sam dominated almost every distance event in the state for almost 4 complete years. He placed 2nd in the mile and 8th in the 2 mile as a freshman. Leutz was  able to get a 5th in the 200 meter, 6th in high jump and 1st in a relay,  as a freshman. My opinion is to look at what each competitor did for his sport and there will be other Leutz's ( Bismarck has a bunch of really fast guys back next year,) But Sam Larson will probably stand alone in his accomplishments for decades to come. Put it in perspective Sam could have scored a perfect 16 if he had won every distance event in the state since he was a freshman and he scored 9 first places.  and had  I think they should have at least been Co Senior athletes but no one asked me....
Last edited by opinionated on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:17 pm

opinionated wrote:Neither one of them owns a state record. Sam missed the overall state record set by Rob Heen in the late 80's by less than a second. I think he would have ran more events but he had already run about 4 miles those two days between all his events. Sam Larson finished his career with 9 or 10 state championships between cross country and track and Leutz finished with 8. As far as doing all those events most good athletes who run shorter distances do qualify in many more events because there are only 4 real distance events in track and field There are 7 short distance races between the 100, 200, 400 2 hurdle events and a couple of relays. Sam dominated almost every distance event in the state for almost 4 complete years. He placed 2nd in the mile and 8th in the 2 mile as a freshman. Leutz was only able to get a 5th in the 200 meter as a freshman. My opinion is to look at what each competitor did for his sport and there will be other Leutz's ( Bismarck has a bunch of really fast guys back next year,) But Sam Larson will probably stand alone in his accomplishments for decades to come. Put it in perspective Sam could have scored a perfect 16 if he had won every distance event in the state since he was a freshman and he scored 9 or 10 ( I am not real sure of 2005). I think they should have at least been Co Senior athletes but no one asked me....

pretty sure leutz did pretty good in high jump as a freshman too and if u wanna put it like u jus said it would be harder for leutz to do good when he wuz younger because there are so many people qualified in all the sprinting events

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby opinionated » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Just for some information

Sam could have scored a perfect 16 if head won every 800 meter. every 1600 meter, every 3200 meter and every cross country event since he was a freshman, and he only placed in state 15 times. The only time he did not place was as a freshman in the 800 meter because he did not run it. So he had 9 wins, 3 second places, 1 3rd place, 1 4th place, 1 8th place. That is how dominating he is...   As far as number of competitors it is quality not quantity. Sam ran against some of the best in the entire history of North Dakota distance running. Leutz did well, but, he was no Weston Dressler.... I guess time will tell us if the quality of the runners was good or average, we shall see who's times last longer.

Leutz had 9 1st place wins, 2 2nd place wins, 1 3rd place win, and 1 6th place win

If there careers would have been a  meet,  total points would have been:

Leutz 115

Larson 126
Last edited by opinionated on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:38 pm

opinionated wrote:Just for some information

Sam could have scored a perfect 16 if head won every 800 meter. every 1600 meter, every 3200 meter and every cross country event since he was a freshman, and he only placed in state 15 times. The only time he did not place was as a freshman in the 800 meter because he did not run it. So he had 9 wins, 3 second places, 1 3rd place, 1 4th place, 1 8th place. That is how dominating he is...   As far as number of competitors it is quality not quantity. Sam ran against some of the best in the entire history of North Dakota distance running. Leutz did well, but, he was no Weston Dressler.... I guess time will tell us if the quality of the runners was good or average, we shall see who's times last longer.

Leutz had 9 1st place wins, 2 2nd place wins, 1 3rd place win, and 1 6th place win

If there careers would have been a  meet,  total points would have been:

Leutz 115

Larson 126

ya i see where u are coming from but leutz had much more competion that larson and the main reason i think he won it is because he could have won the 100 200 400 110 hurdles 300 hurdles high jump and placed high in pole vault so that is sprints hurdles jumps and vault where larson wuz a pure distance runner

still think it shoudl have been a co winner though

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BBall dominator » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:41 pm

even though both were good leutz was more rounded, larson couldn't field events like leutz could co-awards are kind of a cop out I think.  the award means less when its "co" so I think leutz won it outright.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby run4fun » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:33 pm

Well it's pretty obvious that Weston is going to be better at more events than Larson ........HES A DECATHALETE!!!
run4fun
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:47 pm

i feel that larson also wouldnt have been as good at track if there was no such thing as cross country because that is training for track where as leutz attempted to play football so basically larson practiced for track everyday by running upwards of 6 miles in the fall but luetz wasnt just run run run he was also jump leap and hurdel i think it was the right choice and head to head larson may have won but if leutz would have entered every event he qualified in (if it would be legal i think u can only enter like 4 events) the head to head would have been an absolute blowout for leutz
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nd-ball41 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:18 pm

Saucesauer wrote:i feel that larson also wouldnt have been as good at track if there was no such thing as cross country because that is training for track where as leutz attempted to play football so basically larson practiced for track everyday by running upwards of 6 miles in the fall but luetz wasnt just run run run he was also jump leap and hurdel i think it was the right choice and head to head larson may have won but if leutz would have entered every event he qualified in (if it would be legal i think u can only enter like 4 events) the head to head would have been an absolute blowout for leutz

well i dont know too many sprinters that go out and just run miles & miles like long distance runners. they r 2 way different running styles, and each had to train their own way for their events.
nd-ball41

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:07 pm

nd-ball41 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:i feel that larson also wouldnt have been as good at track if there was no such thing as cross country because that is training for track where as leutz attempted to play football so basically larson practiced for track everyday by running upwards of 6 miles in the fall but luetz wasnt just run run run he was also jump leap and hurdel i think it was the right choice and head to head larson may have won but if leutz would have entered every event he qualified in (if it would be legal i think u can only enter like 4 events) the head to head would have been an absolute blowout for leutz

well i dont know too many sprinters that go out and just run miles & miles like long distance runners. they r 2 way different running styles, and each had to train their own way for their events.

what i was trying to say was larson basically practiced for his events in 2 sports whereas leutz played other sports so he really couldnt concentrate on just his events
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby opinionated » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:33 am

Name a sport that you do not have to be cardiovascular in? If you are not running to make yourself better for any sport, than my, friend, when you meet your competition he will beat you.  Sam Larson did do other sports ------ like swimming. He is a great ambassador for track and cross country and he will always be one of the best runners that North Dakota has ever had. I am not his parent, just a person that is glad that they got to witness greatness as an athlete.
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:38 am

I am not saying he wasnt pretty darn good i am saying he should have been runner up like he was think about it and this will sound dumb but just ponder it

If he would have played football and basketball i think you add about 7-8 seconds to all his times because he isnt sport specific traning

where as lets say there was fall and spring track leutz would have done that because he dosnt like getting hit in football so he does fall track and trains for all 12 or whatever of his events and swims to stay in superb shape you cut 5 tenths of a seconed off his times

so when you look at it leutz should have the advantage just by number of events he did and won sam ran the 1 and 2 mile right if thats it its 2 events leutz ran double that this year and qualified for a lot more and won more this year

for senior athelet of the year i am almost positive they only go by your senior year of the sport so you cant talk about 8,9,10,11, grade its senior year and although sam accomplishments were astounding they werent the numbers leutz put up
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby opinionated » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:21 pm

First of all Sam won the 800 meter, 1600 meter, and 3200 meter. He dominated all his competitors. Elite qualifying times for the following events are:

100m 10.64

200m 21.60

800m 1:54

1600m 4:18

3200m 9:16.80

110 hurdles 14.24

300m hurdles 38.30

high jump 6'8

400m relay 42:00

With these figures in mind Sam would qualify in the 1600 meter with a top 10 All time of 4:14.28

Leutz would qualify for the 110 m hurdles with the top time in North Dakota of 13.73

also in the high jump with 6'8

I believe the team of Thomas Jones and the Moore brothers and Weston Dressler were some of the best runners North Dakota has ever had. I believe Ihmels is the best Distance runner we have ever had. Neither Sam nor Leutz ever beat these guys times in the like events. I think it is a draw but I love the discussion.

I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 pm

i like the debate but you can look at the nubers all you want but it shows leutz was more diversified with his events i like the debate and all ohh ya and i think i could have gotten the 3 most out of shape people in the world and me and qualified in the 400 M relay
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nd-ball41 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:13 am

Saucesauer wrote:i like the debate but you can look at the nubers all you want but it shows leutz was more diversified with his events i like the debate and all ohh ya and i think i could have gotten the 3 most out of shape people in the world and me and qualified in the 400 M relay

highly doubtful...its alot faster than u might think
nd-ball41

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:33 am

it says qualifing time is 42 min
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby opinionated » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:54 pm

you picked your three friends to run and I'll pick mine and my friend you are going down.
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:50 pm

well derrrrrr  i dont even look at track as a sport so you can have all of the glory i just said we would qualify because according to you qualifing time is 42:00
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Track and Field