Big Race in South Dakota this weekend

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby flatlander » Thu May 03, 2007 2:16 am

Howard Wood Dakota Relays in Sioux Falls - Laura Roesler from Fargo South is going to see some real competition. For those of you who don't know, Roesler won the 100, 200, 400, and 800 at last year's state meet as an 8th grader and took first in the state XC meet this fall as a freshman. Anyway, they're having a special 800 meter race with some of the best runners from ND, SD, MN, and Iowa.

How fast are these girls? Let's just say that if they competed in this year's North Central Conference outdoor meet, they'd probably take 7 of the 8 places. The person with the fourth best time is going to the U of Minnesota and has won six state titles in Minnesota so far (track and XC).
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu May 03, 2007 4:12 am

Someone keep us updated, it'll be interesting to see the results.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsfan1989 » Thu May 03, 2007 4:19 am

After reading that I'm pretty interested as well
sportsfan1989

Postby nd-ball41 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:32 pm

Sam Larson is also heading down to that meet tmrw as well. It will be nice to see him have some good competition.
nd-ball41

Postby GFRR99 » Thu May 03, 2007 6:03 pm

i really cant see anyone from north dakota finishing top 3 in this event but i guess i dont really know
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Fri May 04, 2007 4:35 am

sportsman20 wrote:i really cant see anyone from north dakota finishing top 3 in this event but i guess i dont really know

Laura Roesler will win it!!!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rkmt » Fri May 04, 2007 5:48 am

sportsman20 wrote:i really cant see anyone from north dakota finishing top 3 in this event but i guess i dont really know

I don't know if you've seen Laura run, but having seen her several times, my money is on her to win.  And top 3, I would bet gazillions on that.  She had a big matchup with a great runner from Lakeville, MN  last year who ran around 2:12 any day she wanted to, and yet Roesler ran a 2:11 and beat her like it was nothing.  3 girls in this race have run 2:11 in their careers, 2 twins from Sioux Falls, and then Roesler.  Roesler has run 2:12 this year against competition never going under 2:20 against her.  It looks from the SD times that the twins get a little tighter competition yet their bests are 2:16 and 2:18 this year (if the SDHSAA site is up to date).  I think the fact that Laura can those times on her own, and then could be pushed even more with great competition, that gives Laura the upper hand.  I also don't see the Eckert twins as qualifiers in the 400 on the SDHSAA site.  Roesler has run 55 indoor this year and can go sub 25 in the 200.  I'm willing to bet there won't be that type of speed in the race other than Laura.  I say she wins it.  Either way, I wish I could see it, it should be an awesome race. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby opinionated » Sat May 05, 2007 4:28 pm

Sam made us Nodaks proud, he won the 1600 meter over South Dakotas finest Greg Beesley, Bill Kogel, Travis Fitzke, his winning time was 4:24.12 in about 30 -40 mile per hour winds. Great Job, Sam

I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby flatlander » Sun May 06, 2007 12:11 am

Congrats to Sam Larson! Great win in crappy conditions.

And, yeah, my money would have been on Roesler in the 800 too. Unfortunately, the weather was so bad that they shortened the meet and they didn't run the 800.

I think people sometimes don't realize how good North Dakota track is - especially on the girls' side. Laura Roesler, Whitney Carlson, the Anderson girls, Heather Zander, Halley Odegaard, etc - that's some real talent.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Sun May 06, 2007 7:56 am

best thing about track is that it is one of the only sports that you can compare face to face with other athletes in other states. Sure better competiton drives athletes. But comparing 100 times and other events is about the only sport with maybe rodeo that you can flat out say ND athletes can stack up against some of the best. We can argue all day about bb, fb etc. in HS, but there's really no way to compare them.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby flatlander » Tue May 08, 2007 6:46 am

Hehe, looks like Roesler would have beat the field by a good five seconds unless the other runners boxed her in or something.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby rkmt » Tue May 08, 2007 7:40 am

flatlander wrote:Hehe, looks like Roesler would have beat the field by a good five seconds unless the other runners boxed her in or something.

Yeah, I think she put any doubts to rest.  Until I see the other girls that were supposed to be in the race go under 2:10, I'll confidently say Laura would have won.  2nd place yesterday was 2:22.  That's pretty amazing to do it with no one really pushing you.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Return to Track and Field