Best Distance runner for 2007 track season

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:07 pm

feeshattack wrote:larson is a senior right??

yup
rep

Postby the distance » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:53 pm

Ya larson is a senior. In my opinion he is the best runner for the 2007 season. He wins races left and right, and breaks every record along the way. If those out there want to challenge this and say that Colin Perish is then be my guest becuase Colin has nothing on Larson.(even if he did Larson wouldn't let him beat him for more than a lap) He has no competition, and that is the only thing that is going to hold him back from being better.
the distance
NDPreps Rookie

Postby the distance » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:57 pm

UND9296 wrote:
nd-ball41 wrote:
grizz wrote:Larson doesnt even run the 2 mile, does he?

ya he does...he was the state champ last year, and will be again this year. Look for a time for him in the 2 mile after the meet on friday.

I think Larson can be beaten in the 3200 this year. Osoro and Parrish have already run outstanding times considering it's not even May yet, and Reichenberger has also gone under 9:40. These guys would potentially be able to push the pace to such an extent that it would take away Larson's kick, just as Zunich did at state two years ago. Even if Larson were able to win the 3200, chances are he'd have to work so hard to do so that his legs would be shot and Field and/or somebody else would beat him in the 800.

Since Corey Ihmels in the early 1990's, has a class A runner swept the 800, 1600 and 3200 at state in the same year? I don't believe it's happened.

Did Parrish stand a chance today against Sam? Did anyone stand a chance today?  Please comment back, I want to hear how stupid i made you feel.
the distance
NDPreps Rookie

Postby UND9296 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:48 am

the distance wrote:
UND9296 wrote:
nd-ball41 wrote:
grizz wrote:Larson doesnt even run the 2 mile, does he?

ya he does...he was the state champ last year, and will be again this year. Look for a time for him in the 2 mile after the meet on friday.

I think Larson can be beaten in the 3200 this year. Osoro and Parrish have already run outstanding times considering it's not even May yet, and Reichenberger has also gone under 9:40. These guys would potentially be able to push the pace to such an extent that it would take away Larson's kick, just as Zunich did at state two years ago. Even if Larson were able to win the 3200, chances are he'd have to work so hard to do so that his legs would be shot and Field and/or somebody else would beat him in the 800.

Since Corey Ihmels in the early 1990's, has a class A runner swept the 800, 1600 and 3200 at state in the same year? I don't believe it's happened.

Did Parrish stand a chance today against Sam? Did anyone stand a chance today?  Please comment back, I want to hear how stupid i made you feel.

Larson and Parrish ran against each other in the 1600 yesterday. Did I say anything about anybody beating Larson in the 1600 this year? No. Nobody will. But in the 3200, his time yesterday ranks him 4th in the state. That hardly disproves what I posted regarding the chances of him possibly being beaten in the 3200 at state.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd-ball41 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:15 pm

feeshattack wrote:larson is a senior right??

ya he is
nd-ball41

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue May 01, 2007 7:10 pm

yep, at JHS
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nd-ball41 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:12 pm

I think that his win at the Howard Wood Relays in the 1600 puts away any doubters that Sam Larson is the best distance runner in the state of ND!!! 
nd-ball41

Postby power-aid14 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:45 pm

perhaps dustin bartsch could be mentioned here also....cody massine also has a bright future
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby opinionated » Sat May 12, 2007 4:39 am

Dustin Bartsch is good, but he is out of his league when it comes to the top Class A boys. Compare his times to Class A and he would not really be a contender, the times speak for themselves. 4:38 is not even qualifying in Class A, he has not even qualified in the 3200 meter
Last edited by opinionated on Sat May 12, 2007 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby ldrunner » Sat May 12, 2007 8:22 am

Sam Larson just ran 4:13.xx in the 1600 today...not only is he the best distance runner of '07, he has got to be getting close to Ihmels and Heen credentials with that time!
"Dont worry about people telling you to stop doing too much and that you will burn out. Burning out is mental, and if you are tough you can do anything." -Dathan Ritzenhein
ldrunner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MHSfan » Sat May 12, 2007 9:04 am

Brekka Walhlund has to be mentioned here as well. She has ran some great times this year for the Majettes and she is only an eighth grader. She has a bright future ahead of her for sure.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND9296 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am

nd-ball41 wrote:I think that his win at the Howard Wood Relays in the 1600 puts away any doubters that Sam Larson is the best distance runner in the state of ND!!! 

I don't think anybody disputes that he's the best 1600m runner in the state, and probably one of the top 10 ever in ND Class A. But my original point regarding the possibility of him being beaten in the 3200m (if he even runs it at state) is based on the following:

1. He rarely runs the 3200.

2. The best time he's ever run (to the best of my knowledge) occurred at state two years ago, in a race he lost to a kid with nowhere near Larson's foot speed. Jory Zunich was similar to Colin Parish, and perhaps the Osoro kid, in that while he could never beat Larson in the 1600 or the 800, he could push the pace in the 3200 to such an extent that it could take away Larson's kick.

3. It's extremely rare for a class A runner to complete the triple at state (800, 1600 and 3200). The reason being is that an all-out 3200 usually zaps a runner's strength so much that he can't then turn around a couple hours later and beat the sprinters in the 800. If Larson wants to win the 800 against runners like Field and Heitkamp, he'd probably be better served not running the 3200. To win the 3200 at state this year will likely require a sub-9:30--something Larson has only done once (the above-mentioned race at state in 2005). How likely is it that he will be able to do that--given how seldom he runs that race--and then turn around and beat guys who will be relatively fresh and who are close to him in 800 ability?
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby flyguy » Mon May 14, 2007 5:56 am

UND9296 wrote:
nd-ball41 wrote:I think that his win at the Howard Wood Relays in the 1600 puts away any doubters that Sam Larson is the best distance runner in the state of ND!!! 

I don't think anybody disputes that he's the best 1600m runner in the state, and probably one of the top 10 ever in ND Class A. But my original point regarding the possibility of him being beaten in the 3200m (if he even runs it at state) is based on the following:

2. The best time he's ever run (to the best of my knowledge) occurred at state two years ago, in a race he lost to a kid with nowhere near Larson's foot speed. Jory Zunich was similar to Colin Parish, and perhaps the Osoro kid, in that while he could never beat Larson in the 1600 or the 800, he could push the pace in the 3200 to such an extent that it could take away Larson's kick.

3. It's extremely rare for a class A runner to complete the triple at state (800, 1600 and 3200). The reason being is that an all-out 3200 usually zaps a runner's strength so much that he can't then turn around a couple hours later and beat the sprinters in the 800. If Larson wants to win the 800 against runners like Field and Heitkamp, he'd probably be better served not running the 3200. To win the 3200 at state this year will likely require a sub-9:30--something Larson has only done once (the above-mentioned race at state in 2005). How likely is it that he will be able to do that--given how seldom he runs that race--and then turn around and beat guys who will be relatively fresh and who are close to him in 800 ability?

Sam Larson will win the 3200 like you said he will have to run under 9:30 and he has only done it once in his career. That one time is more than anyone else who will be competing at state this year. But  Good Luck to all runners at state.
flyguy

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 14, 2007 9:21 am

FW has a freshman 3200 runner. Oliver Dauphinais.  He is a strong runner.  Should be a force to recon with in the coming years
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nd-ball41 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:39 am

Indians Alumni wrote:FW has a freshman 3200 runner. Oliver Dauphinais.  He is a strong runner.  Should be a force to recon with in the coming years

Who is FW....Four Winds??
nd-ball41

Postby basketball31 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:21 pm

I love watching Lindsay and her sister Krista was awesome too...I think she holds the overall state record in the 2 mile 
basketball31

Postby the mask » Sun May 20, 2007 4:18 pm

ok jsut wondering on this is sam larson good at the 400 meter as well because my teammate beat him in jamestown at the al cassell meet and i jsut thought that was cool since sam larson is bout the greatest distance runner ever
you don't have to win championships to be considered a good team
the mask
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd-ball41 » Sun May 20, 2007 4:34 pm

the mask wrote:ok jsut wondering on this is sam larson good at the 400 meter as well because my teammate beat him in jamestown at the al cassell meet and i jsut thought that was cool since sam larson is bout the greatest distance runner ever

ya he usually runs about a 51, but not putting your teammate down or anything..i congratulate him... but sam was feeling pretty ill after running the mile that day.
nd-ball41

Postby nd-ball41 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:42 am

Sam Larson of Jamestown...wins the 1600 with yet another blowout. And the Minot 4x800 relay team upset bhs and won that race. Good job to both Sam & the minot crew!!
nd-ball41

Postby straightballer » Sat May 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Larson is amazing. He proved this weekend he is the best by far. Osoro didnt have a chance in the 3200. Joash is going to be good but he was no match for Sam. If Sam would of had a nice day on friday he would ran under 410 in the mile and set a new record.
straightballer

Postby soccer09 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:58 am

UND9296 wrote:

afterr Sam's domination of all 3 distance events the folly of what was said above is apparent. his endurance is such that u could have had more races and he still would have won all of them. His winning by 11 seconds in the 2 mile, blowing away the mile and owning the 800 is just a testament to how great he is. good luck to him
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby opinionated » Mon May 28, 2007 10:01 am

I totally agree. Sam is a smart runner, he never lets you see his other hand before the race he simply lets you feel the result at the end of the race. He has made every other runner better and in my opinion should have been the Senior Athlete of the Year.
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:25 am

opinionated wrote:  I totally agree. Sam is a smart runner, he never lets you see his other hand before the race he simply lets you feel the result at the end of the race. He has made every other runner better and in my opinion should have been the Senior Athlete of the Year.

i would say co senior athlete of the year they both won all of their individual events

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby the captain » Mon May 28, 2007 11:20 am

Does anyone know where Larson is running in college?
the captain

Postby rep » Mon May 28, 2007 11:27 am

the captain wrote:Does anyone know where Larson is running in college?

ndsu
rep

PreviousNext

Return to Track and Field