Track and Field

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:56 am

I want to know how important it is at your school and do you think it leads to success on the football field or in other sports?
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby HitManHoops » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:38 am

I'm going to comment on the Fargo Schools... I know west fargo, south, and north have big track and field teams... shanley is struggling to get people on the team and i know a lot of the good 8th grade girl runners aren't running anymore which will hurt the girls team. South, north, and wf will always be good and i think its pretty important to their schools. Correct me if i'm wrong.
HitManHoops

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:51 am

Unfortunately, in our school, the boys have three sports to choose from in the spring (baseball, golf and track) and track seems to often lose out. The same with the girls... they choose golf or a lot of them are in JO volleyball and don't want to do both. I wish it were more popular!
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NorthDakota11 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:30 am

Do you think that track instills a work ethic that other sports just can't compare too?

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:34 am

NorthDakota11 wrote:Do you think that track instills a work ethic that other sports just can't compare too?

no....I hear a lot of track athletes say that they just go to tan and most of the time get away with screwing around in practice.  I don't think that some of the athletes have any more of a work ethic than any other sport.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NorthDakota11 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:33 am

Baller wrote:
NorthDakota11 wrote:Do you think that track instills a work ethic that other sports just can't compare too?

no....I hear a lot of track athletes say that they just go to tan and most of the time get away with screwing around in practice.  I don't think that some of the athletes have any more of a work ethic than any other sport.

I guess my argument for track is based on watching Trinity and Hazen go at it in Football, Basketball and Track... Both schools always had great track programs and I think an emphasis on a track program helps your football program a great deal... Nothing against Gold or Baseball... But to have a good track program you've gotta work your butt off and in turn I think this leads to better conditioned teams in the fall...

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:37 am

I guess my post was from Class A point of view where no one  takes a lot of pride in the track season the way that some Class B schools.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NorthDakota11 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:55 am

I would agree with you on the Class A point of view... Fargo South has a strong program but I've always been dumbfounded about why Minot doesn't dominate much the same way South does in football if my arguement holds water... When I was in High School 1999-2002 Minot was unreal in track and never could seem to put it all together on the football field... Is their track program still strong? I know their football has improved a bit...

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjay » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:55 am

Track doesn't do you any good if your lazy in the summer!
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby minotfan » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:43 am

NorthDakota11 wrote:I would agree with you on the Class A point of view... Fargo South has a strong program but I've always been dumbfounded about why Minot doesn't dominate much the same way South does in football if my arguement holds water... When I was in High School 1999-2002 Minot was unreal in track and never could seem to put it all together on the football field... Is their track program still strong? I know their football has improved a bit...

many of the good athletes are not in track from Minot. I guess nobody really cares about track in Minot so they don't get as many good athletes out for the team as they use to.
minotfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bill » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:19 pm

i think track helps you out alot on the football field..........i know it did for me
bill
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Carl08 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:30 am

it depends on if you take it seriously...if you slack over the summer though your not going to benefit that much from it.  I know in the east (class A) south just dominates and everyone else doesn't really have a chance so it becomes even more of an individual thing which hurts the numbers
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby CoachG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:47 am

If the program is ran the right way. Track is the basis for all sports. The things the athlete learns in track will help them in every other sport. It is however a very difficult sport. It takes a lot of self motivation and discipline.

Track also works on the mental aspect of handling pressure!

It did a lot for me in all my sports, and I am sure every school would like to have a sound track program.
CoachG
CoachG
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsubisonfan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:02 am

It all depends on what you do and how you do it. For a runner that works hard in track and works to get stronger/faster than obviously it's going to help you on the football field. Then again if you go just to tan like baller said than it obviously will not help you. Track is a big part of the football off season, the effort you put in will reflect in how you play on the field.
ndsubisonfan

Postby RB/LB 34 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:17 pm

Like previously stated, track can be a world of help if you put forth an effort. And the only way that it will help you in other sports is if, after the season is over with, you stay in shape. If you are in super-good shape during track, but do nothing over the summer, the benefit of track decreases dramatically. But generally, track is kinda more laid-back because it is and individual sport mainly, and practices dont really need to have a sort of team-bonding so to speak.

I hope I put that so everyone understands.......
RB/LB 34
NDPreps Starter

Postby grizz » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:28 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone that is in track will agree with me on this one. I never get as nervous for football or bball as I do before a running event. I think track does more than just get you in shape for your next sport, but it teaches you how to deal with nerves and how to compete under pressure. Of course all sports do that, but I feel like track does it the best.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby feeshattack » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:51 pm

coming from a person that isnt in track, i am just curious about why you get so nervous when all you do is run as fast as you can and turn left...?
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grizz » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:01 pm

I really don't know why. I think it's because you know you're about to go out and give it your all. Basically, you are fearing death. haha.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby feeshattack » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:02 pm

grizz wrote:I really don't know why. I think it's because you know you're about to go out and give it your all. Basically, you are fearing death. haha.

haha ic ic... are some races more nervwrecking than others??
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grizz » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:04 pm

I've heard from people who have basically ran them all, and they say the 800 and the 400 are the worst. Thats because they are both basically sprints nowadays. Its not very fun to sprint 2 times around the track.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby feeshattack » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:08 pm

ya... from the trackmeets i have watched, i would think that the 1600 m relay would be pertty nervewrecking because of it usually being the last event and cna decide how the team placing goes...
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:13 pm

grizz wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone that is in track will agree with me on this one. I never get as nervous for football or bball as I do before a running event. I think track does more than just get you in shape for your next sport, but it teaches you how to deal with nerves and how to compete under pressure. Of course all sports do that, but I feel like track does it the best.

Gotta totally agree with you.  Growing up we were always told that you go out for track because it will make you a better athlete.  I often wonder why kids stay out for track when many of them get sooo nervous.  Sit around and can't relax because you have to run in 30 minutes or 1 hr or 2 hrs.  I really respect those who can overcome that nervousness and still perform.  So much of sports is mental.  Good post!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsubisonfan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:29 pm

EDC wrote:
grizz wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone that is in track will agree with me on this one. I never get as nervous for football or bball as I do before a running event. I think track does more than just get you in shape for your next sport, but it teaches you how to deal with nerves and how to compete under pressure. Of course all sports do that, but I feel like track does it the best.

Gotta totally agree with you.  Growing up we were always told that you go out for track because it will make you a better athlete.  I often wonder why kids stay out for track when many of them get sooo nervous.  Sit around and can't relax because you have to run in 30 minutes or 1 hr or 2 hrs.  I really respect those who can overcome that nervousness and still perform.  So much of sports is mental.  Good post!

excellent statement grizz
ndsubisonfan

Postby opinionated » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:57 pm

[font=comic sans ms] To those who say track is for tanning..........................................................those are not "track athletes" they are time wasters, they would be better of  donating their time than wasting others showing up. [/font]

[font=comic sans ms]Everybody can find something that they are good at in Track and Field, it teaches teamwork while rewarding personal effort. Track is not just to prepare yourself for another sport, cuz it stands on its own. I hope everyone will convince someone that they are good enough to be a great teammate and competitor on their team[/font]
Last edited by opinionated on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:43 am

opinionated wrote:[font=comic sans ms] To those who say track is for tanning..........................................................those are not "track athletes" they are time wasters, they would be better of  donating their time than wasting others showing up. [/font]

[font=comic sans ms]Everybody can find something that they are good at in Track and Field, it teaches teamwork while rewarding personal effort. Track is not just to prepare yourself for another sport, cuz it stands on its own. I hope everyone will convince someone that they are good enough to be a great teammate and competitor on their team[/font]

that was well said.  for feeshattack, spoken like a person who doesn't have a clue.
just a bb fan

Next

Return to Track and Field