Qualifying Standards

A and B
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby SportsAreLife » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Instead of the 100m being 11.2 now it's 11.44 and so on with other events. Anybody know why they decided to do that.
SportsAreLife

Postby anderson16 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:32 pm

Is that true for sure? Class A?
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby koopa » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:52 pm

i think it has to do with the timer people taking into account the time it takes them to stop their stopwatch or for the accutrak stuff to receive some signals. its all the same if im right becus they still add .24 to your times to make them more "realistic"
koopa

Postby RB/LB 34 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:55 pm

could you post a link to where you found this out please? I wish to know more about this issue
RB/LB 34
NDPreps Starter

Postby koopa » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:26 pm

koopa

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:28 pm

i am kinda against that it makes it way to easy to qualify for state then

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rkmt » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:06 pm

cdub1 wrote:i am kinda against that it makes it way to easy to qualify for state then

It actually won't make any difference in how easy it will be to qualify.  I believe it's all in how it's reported.  The qualifier lists all used to be listed in hand-held time.  Previous years with the 100 meter qual time as 11.20, Guy #1 goes to a meet using a Fully Automatic Timing (FAT) system and runs 11.43.  It gets converted to hand-held by subtracting .24 and reported as 11.19.  Guy #2 goes to a meet using hand-held stopwatches, runs 11.18.  It gets rounded up and reported as 11.20.  This is because anything run with a FAT system could be reported to the hundredth, and anything run hand-held is considered slightly less accurate because of human error and was rounded up to the nearest tenth.  And the .24 is supposedly the difference in a machine starting exactly with an automatic system, and the average of human reaction to start a stopwatch off of a gun.

THIS YEAR 100 meter qual is 11.44.  Now all the qual times will be listed as FAT.  Now Guy #1's time will be reported exactly what he ran on a FAT system  11.43.  Guy #2's time will still be rounded up to the nearest tenth, and then .24 will be added on so his time will be reported as 11.44.   Guy #1's reported time is still .01 under qualifying (the NEW qual standard) and .01 faster than Guy #2. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:09 pm

rkmt wrote:
cdub1 wrote:i am kinda against that it makes it way to easy to qualify for state then

It actually won't make any difference in how easy it will be to qualify.  I believe it's all in how it's reported.  The qualifier lists all used to be listed in hand-held time.  Previous years with the 100 meter qual time as 11.20, Guy #1 goes to a meet using a Fully Automatic Timing (FAT) system and runs 11.43.  It gets converted to hand-held by subtracting .24 and reported as 11.19.  Guy #2 goes to a meet using hand-held stopwatches, runs 11.18.  It gets rounded up and reported as 11.20.  This is because anything run with a FAT system could be reported to the hundredth, and anything run hand-held is considered slightly less accurate because of human error and was rounded up to the nearest tenth.  And the .24 is supposedly the difference in a machine starting exactly with an automatic system, and the average of human reaction to start a stopwatch off of a gun.

THIS YEAR 100 meter qual is 11.44.  Now all the qual times will be listed as FAT.  Now Guy #1's time will be reported exactly what he ran on a FAT system  11.43.  Guy #2's time will still be rounded up to the nearest tenth, and then .24 will be added on so his time will be reported as 11.44.   Guy #1's reported time is still .01 under qualifying (the NEW qual standard) and .01 faster than Guy #2. 

that wuz so complicated but i think i understood you

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Saas25 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:46 am

It makes perfect sense because ND was only one of few to not use FAT timing.  People may think it is easier to qualify but in all reality it is there true time. When you are at the state meet they use FAT timing so why not make it an every meet thing.  Good plan here!
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Return to Track and Field