NDHSAA - new website, is it better?!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: NDHSAA - new website, is it better?!

Postby scruffy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Baller wrote:What do you mean by slipping slower than the rest of the country? Overall, They are not slipping at all. You also need to look at the standardized tests. (you have obviously had no research in this area). These tests have gotten considerable harder as the years have gone on. In Math, 8th graders used to be tested on balancing check books and knowing multiplication tables. Now Minnesota is looking at requiring all 8th graders to take Algebra because of all of the Algebraic concepts on the tests. Research shows that some brains are not capable of Algebraic and other abstract concepts until 16 years of age. In English, it has gone from basic reading comprehension and grammer to making infereces and breaking down passages and its parts. Just because tests scores may have slipped doesn't mean that our system, or learning has slipped. Expectations and programs for students has increased a great deal in the last 20 years.

Uhm...thats not what the unions and pro union candidates are saying when they scream for more dollars..
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:11 pm

OK, you guys are hijacking this topic. Let's get it back to the NDHSAA, which apparently has enough of its own problems. I sent them an e-mail on October 6th, asking them when the results were going to get posted and haven't heard back yet. Pet peeve of mine... if you don't know the answer, just say so. Don't ignore the e-mail. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has contacted them about this. :evil:
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tellmeaboutit » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:05 pm

scruffy wrote:
Baller wrote:What do you mean by slipping slower than the rest of the country? Overall, They are not slipping at all. You also need to look at the standardized tests. (you have obviously had no research in this area). These tests have gotten considerable harder as the years have gone on. In Math, 8th graders used to be tested on balancing check books and knowing multiplication tables. Now Minnesota is looking at requiring all 8th graders to take Algebra because of all of the Algebraic concepts on the tests. Research shows that some brains are not capable of Algebraic and other abstract concepts until 16 years of age. In English, it has gone from basic reading comprehension and grammer to making infereces and breaking down passages and its parts. Just because tests scores may have slipped doesn't mean that our system, or learning has slipped. Expectations and programs for students has increased a great deal in the last 20 years.

Uhm...thats not what the unions and pro union candidates are saying when they scream for more dollars..

North Dakota does not have a UNION. Teachers can't strike in North Dakota. Public school teachers can join the North Dakota Education Association. Not all teachers join.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby digger » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:16 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:North Dakota does not have a UNION. Teachers can't strike in North Dakota. Public school teachers can join the North Dakota Education Association. Not all teachers join.

And if you don't join, but are chosen North Dakota Teacher of the Year, you can't attend the banquet where top teachers are honored.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:47 pm

What was the original topic of this conversation?? Interesting twist! :)
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby COACHWEST » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Scruffy-

For a couple of years now, I have read and respected your posts. You have had many battles with others on private vs public forums and have handled yourself fairly well while dealing with personal issues. I do not appreciate how you changed this topic into a slam of ND public education teachers. I'm hoping you posted at a bad moment and are able to reassess the situation. I'm thinking you really do not want to continue to go down the road you started. While controversy and conflict can be good things, I don't think NDPreps is the place for this conversation.

Once again, I enjoy reading your input and think you have some great ideas leading to the best interest of ND athletes - but not this time.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:13 pm

It's not the individual teachers I'm after..I can't imagine the challenges you face with deadbeat parents and not being able to push and discipline like you should. I think changes need to be made in the system..Programs like "no child left behind" and others don't fit every district in every state. The government (feds and state) lump everyone together. That doesn't work just like throwing more money at every problem doesn't work either...Now back to the topic of websites!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby 1softballump » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:57 pm

scruffy wrote:It's not the individual teachers I'm after..I can't imagine the challenges you face with deadbeat parents and not being able to push and discipline like you should. I think changes need to be made in the system..Programs like "no child left behind" and others don't fit every district in every state. The government (feds and state) lump everyone together. That doesn't work just like throwing more money at every problem doesn't work either...Now back to the topic of websites!

Scruffy. Just stop. Each time you add to this debate you are proving more and more that you don't know the issues you are talking about. No crap NCBL doesn't fit every state and every district, that's what you get when the top man in the country thinks he knows how to fix public education and calls it "No Child Left Behind." Can you imagine the bad press any senator or representative would have taken if they would have voted to "leave a child behind?" NCLB is a federal program that essentially forces ND Public Schools to adhere the its policies or lose any Federal dollars that the school would normally get. Without those dollars, many of the small public schools wouldn't be here anymore in ND. For example, one of the major components of No Child Left Behind was that a "Highly Qualified Teacher" had to teach each subject in High School. So essentially they were saying that if you had a degree in Physics, you could teach Physics, but not Biology or Chemistry or Anatomy. If you had a degree in U.S. History you could teach U.S. History but not world history or economics or sociology. This program was a very "Metropolitan Centered" program that unfortunately affected all public schools, who chose to participate. So NCLB's requirements would have forced a school like say "Flasher" to hire someone with those specific degrees to teach those specific classes. So let's say I'm a teacher who has been teaching 7-12 science for 20 years but my degree is in Chemistry, now the Feds come along and say, you are not qualified to teach anything but Chemistry?!?!?! So let's say I am a recent graduate of from college with a degree in Chemistry and have teaching credentials, am I going to take a job in Flasher that pays 1/7 of a teacher's salary (which is 49th in the nation) so I can teach the one class of Chemistry at the school?!?!?!

That's just one very clear example of the many flaws of NCLB. The North Dakota Department of Education Standards and Practices Board had to do some pretty quick thinking and implementing of programs to get alot of teachers "Highly Qualified" according to NCLB or North Dakota wouldn't have had any teachers left to teach. In 1997, UND changed its teaching degree program, prior to that time, you would get a major in a subject area, say physics and get your teaching credits, you could teach basically any science class. After 1997, UND said teacher education students only needed to get a composite science degree along with their teaching credentials, then they could teach basically any science class. Then NCLB comes along in about 2000 and 2-3 years of graduates were automatically not qualified to teach in the area they had thier degree in. Which, since this is North Dakota, probably only amounted to about 10 graduates!! (That's a joke people).
1softballump

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Why are you calling Scruffy to task on this? 95% of the country doesn't understand NCLB. You should be thanking Scruffy. He just gave you the opportunity to make a stand on your soap box. Way to go....
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:36 pm

1softballump, CONGRESS gave final approval of NCLB. A president doesn't have the power to implement things like this without approval. Now, with our new congress and administration little or no improvements will take place. This group tends to like MORE "blanket regulations and rules". This will make it exremely difficult on local school districts as they will have more mandates placed on them.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDVBBB » Fri May 22, 2009 10:03 am

NO :evil: Luckily as my child played, the old website was running and stats were available. Now there's almost no useful information. At the beginning of the year, the NDHSAA leadership talked up the new site. After using the old site and getting frustrated each time I try the new site, I rarely go to NDHSAA.com. It's gotten better with team photos, game scores and player listing, but still no stats that I can find.
Last edited by NDVBBB on Mon May 25, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDVBBB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun May 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Didn't they in years past post the results to the state track meet? I know they used to for wrestling, but they never did this year. But if I want to see the 2007 state track meet results, I'm in luck. They have that. How about results from this year's state basketball tournaments? No, out of luck. But I can learn how to run the shot clock. I think I'm sending a mass email to all the addresses I can find on the site.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 pm

whoa, they redid the site again. Appears way better than the last one.

I love seeing stuff like this.
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/Dat ... 0#map:id=3
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Flip wrote:whoa, they redid the site again. Appears way better than the last one.

I love seeing stuff like this.
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/Dat ... 0#map:id=3

except you can't find teams and their schedules on the website yet...which is a major inconvenience!!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:10 am

BBAngel wrote: Alot of college coaches go to the site to get information for recruiting as well. :(

You really believe that? :roll: :lol:
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 am

bequickdonthurry wrote:
BBAngel wrote: Alot of college coaches go to the site to get information for recruiting as well. :(

You really believe that? :roll: :lol:

Back when the NDHSAA website had statistics and such on it...yes it was used for that reason. Now the site has been changed again and this option isn't available again (at least to see the statistics as a fan).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to Hot Topics