Davies High School

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Davies High School

Postby thejoker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:37 am

Does anyone know anything about it?
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Re: Davies High School

Postby Baller » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 am

Like what?? it is opening in 2012 but the sports teams are beginning to be split this year as freshman and then they will have varsity athletics in most sports in 2011.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thejoker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Whats the team name
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby iplod34 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:05 pm

where is this?
A team will always appreciate a great individual if he's willing to sacrifice for the group. You can't win if you don't play as a unit.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
iplod34
NDPreps Starter

Postby stoaxc2004 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:15 pm

Davies High School will be out around 72th Ave S. and 25th St. S in Fargo. It will be about 2 miles south of Fargo Shanley/Sullivan School. The Ronald N. Davies High School nickname is going to be the Eagles. An article from the Fargo Forum will be attached below.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=212571
stoaxc2004

Postby balla45 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Am I reading this right? The South Boy's Basketball coach will coach against his son? Does anyone else think that sounds awkward?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:00 pm

balla45 wrote:Am I reading this right? The South Boy's Basketball coach will coach against his son? Does anyone else think that sounds awkward?

He may not have to coach against his son...His son will technically be under the name of Davies as a freshman and sophomore, but those teams are still under the direction and philosophy of South High school. Once there is a varsity team, then Coach Hendrickson will have the option to apply for the Davies postition and if he does not get it, then H always has the option of open enrolling at South High. I dont think that it can be technically called a transfer since he is actually going to school at South.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:41 pm

This all will add interest to the local high school scene. I think both teams will be OK. Neither team will be as dominate in all sports as South is now. Which South supporter will be the first to say it isn't fair to play West Fargo because WF is so much bigger? The coaches and athletes work extremely hard at South. The competition forced athletes to work hard to play. Coaches everywhere have parent issues but at South the coaches had the advantage because there was always somebody else just as talented to take the place of a complaining ahtlete or parent. Some of this might change.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:23 pm

There's already talk of needing another high school in West Fargo.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby stoaxc2004 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Yeah if that ends up happening...it sounds like it will be down by the new 9th grade center...near the Sheyenne River on the south side.
stoaxc2004

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:06 am

I've always wondered why Minot doesn't have two high schools as well. I think they have one of the largest class A enrollments behind South. It would be nice to have another class A team out west.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:46 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I've always wondered why Minot doesn't have two high schools as well. I think they have one of the largest class A enrollments behind South. It would be nice to have another class A team out west.

I totally agree... With the oil boom and the expansion of the base, that just means more kids into the system... No reason not to have 2 HS
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:54 pm

HeisAlive wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I've always wondered why Minot doesn't have two high schools as well. I think they have one of the largest class A enrollments behind South. It would be nice to have another class A team out west.

I totally agree... With the oil boom and the expansion of the base, that just means more kids into the system... No reason not to have 2 HS

One huge reason - conservative people in Minot and they won't pay for another school system.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Hinsa wrote:
HeisAlive wrote:

One huge reason - conservative people in Minot and they won't pay for another school system.

Boy ya hit tha nail on the head there! Some people just don't like change, no matter how good it is!
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:25 pm

They already basically have two high schools tho....central campus has grades 9-10 and magic city has grades 11-12. Isn't that correct? Why not just split them into two 9-12 high schools. Don't even have to build a new one then.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:39 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:They already basically have two high schools tho....central campus has grades 9-10 and magic city has grades 11-12. Isn't that correct? Why not just split them into two 9-12 high schools. Don't even have to build a new one then.

You know how old shoe feel, real comfortable... It's one of those topic that's taboo, in Minot. Everyone is thinking about it, but no one wants to talk about it... I believe they could do as you have said and there would be very little mony spent to make 2 HS. Highway 83 could be the dividing line... just a thought...
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Hasn't Minot's enrollment been stagnant for the past few years? I could see there being lots of discussion on this if there was a lot of growth, but Minot has not grown significantly during the past decade.

Maybe I'm wrong.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby EDC » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:09 pm

Crazy thing is Fargo's enrollment is dropping. Projected to go higher but I think it has fallen for at least 5 years in a row. I don't disagree with the desire for a third high school. The planning wasn't the best by the school district but it is hard predicting population patterns. Fargo doesn't spare any expense where other districts seem a little more tax payer friendly.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thejoker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:20 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Hasn't Minot's enrollment been stagnant for the past few years? I could see there being lots of discussion on this if there was a lot of growth, but Minot has not grown significantly during the past decade.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I think Minot's population is expected to grow in the next few years due to the oil boom, as mentioned earlier. However, it shouldn't be too much since the far western part of the state will be taking in the brunt of the boom.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:11 am

Even if Minot's school population has been stagnant over the past few years, they still have the largest high school enrollment in the state behind South. When South splits into 2 high schools, Minot again will have the highest enrollment. So my argument for them having two high schools isn't because of limited space and population growth, its just to even out the enrollments, add another class A team, and give more students a chance to participate. I also wish towns like Lincoln and Harwood and a few others would build high schools so we can have a few more class B teams, too.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 am

Do those schools have a large enough high school population to sustain a high school? I know they do elementary...
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:49 am

I'm pretty sure they both have a couple thousand people living there. Most of the current class B schools have 500 or less in their town.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:10 am

I guess I did not realize that Lincoln was that big...200 census has them listed at 1800

Harwood only has about 600

But you are right...they are right on par with the rest of the class B towns, heck Lincoln would be one of the bigger ones.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HeisAlive » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:41 am

Does anyone know of a guess-a-mation on the number of students the school will be having???
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 pm

I dont know the number of students for the Davies school, but the West Fargo Freshman Academy had like 1200 kids enrolled, prior to the start of school.
ndfootballwrestling

Next

Return to Hot Topics