Performance Enhancing Drugs

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Performance Enhancing Drugs

Postby riders » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:36 am

poweraidman wrote:
riders wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote:Every muscle magazine in existence pushes creatine for gaining weight and muscle volume, you can buy it at any Walmart. I certainly wouldn't advocate having coaches endorse it, but it's not steriods. As for "teams in our area that have had kids using it for a bunch of years" are you saying that the coaches are actively telling them they have to go buy it, or do they supply it to them? Or is it something they came up with on their own?

even tho creatine may not be a steroid or ped of any kind, it still is bad for the developing body. it prematurely seals growth plates and in essence stunts growth. and like i said in my previous post, if you dont work out you just get water-logged. if you are using creatine, at least try to wait till your growth plates are sealed. a good substitute for any ped or protein/creatine shake is dedication to be in the weight room. get in on a daily basis, do cardio, for an hour or so a day and you are golden in a few months.

why substitute for a protien shake, those are healthy either way you look at it, and they are the best thing a student can take to gain muscle and strength, and its all natural. It does no harm to your body at all, a 10 year old could take protien shakes and it wouldnt hurt him

wrong..because of the fact that most protein shakes have some amount of creatine in it. in case you didnt know, protein mixes, creatine, and supplements arent regulated by the FDA, meaning that the producers dont have to put all or any of the ingredients on the label.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:40 pm

Found something out that kind of surpised me this weekend. A friend of mine that plays football for a AA team told me that actually quite a few kids on the team are roided up and players in the past have been as well. I wasn't sure if I thought steriods in ND High Schools were a problem or not, but after he told me that, I think they are. They are out their people.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Just take your friends statement with a grain of salt. High School kids tend to exaggerate. What they say is quite a few might only be 2 or 3 people that they think they heard of from another person that plays with a guy that used to play football for that other team.

I'm not saying that roids aren't out there, but you get my meaning - hearsay can't be trusted....
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Ive talked to a few kids from one school too and theyve even admitted that alot of kids use on the team, and it wasnt just 2-3
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:19 pm

The thing I don't get is- don't these people who use performance enhancing drugs feel like cheaters? Why don't they put in the hard work and be the best without depending on this stuff.
basketballer

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:02 pm

Hinsa wrote:Just take your friends statement with a grain of salt. High School kids tend to exaggerate. What they say is quite a few might only be 2 or 3 people that they think they heard of from another person that plays with a guy that used to play football for that other team.

I'm not saying that roids aren't out there, but you get my meaning - hearsay can't be trusted....

Well considering this friend is a good friend of mine and played on this team and is really close with the people that did it, I'm going to believe him when he says they did it. His brother was also the one that told him guys took them when he played too. And in my opinion, 2 or 3 kids taking steriods on a high school team in ND is quite a few. Heck one is a lot.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:14 pm

basketballer wrote:The thing I don't get is- don't these people who use performance enhancing drugs feel like cheaters? Why don't they put in the hard work and be the best without depending on this stuff.

i dont think cheating really bothers high school kids. thats why they make crib sheets to pass a math test for example....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:06 pm

baseball wrote:
basketballer wrote:The thing I don't get is- don't these people who use performance enhancing drugs feel like cheaters? Why don't they put in the hard work and be the best without depending on this stuff.

i dont think cheating really bothers high school kids. thats why they make crib sheets to pass a math test for example....

Haha ya, but sports are different...imo.
basketballer

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:11 pm

basketballer wrote:
baseball wrote:

Haha ya, but sports are different...imo.

true...but imo high school kids care more about sports then they do grades. so if they cheat to get good grades, who konws what they will do to win. baseball ive seen the teams best player get hit by a pitch 3 tims in a double header...hard time thinking the only 3 hit batters all day were the same kid. not cheating but maybe hoping for an injury is just a sign that sometimes people do whatever it takes to win, no matter what age
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:30 pm

Yea... I also agree that they care about sports more than academics thats most why I don't get how they who use steroids could feel like they are actually winners, when they have to cheat to do it.
basketballer

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:37 pm

I don't like your guys comparison of cheating on homework to taking steriods. Cheating on say a test is A LOT different then taking steriods. Cheating hurts you, yes, but the effects are FAR less then taking steriods. Cheating isn't going to kill you. Steriods can. Everyone has probably cheated atleast once in their life but just because you have cheated on a test/homework before doesn't mean you'd take steriods.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:40 pm

i wasnt saying they were the same thing if thats what you took from it. someone thought kids would feel like cheaters if they took steriods and i just put my opinoin that kids dont really care if they cheat or not, they only care if they get caught.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby poweraidman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:38 pm

riders wrote:
poweraidman wrote:
riders wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote:Every muscle magazine in existence pushes creatine for gaining weight and muscle volume, you can buy it at any Walmart. I certainly wouldn't advocate having coaches endorse it, but it's not steriods. As for "teams in our area that have had kids using it for a bunch of years" are you saying that the coaches are actively telling them they have to go buy it, or do they supply it to them? Or is it something they came up with on their own?

even tho creatine may not be a steroid or ped of any kind, it still is bad for the developing body. it prematurely seals growth plates and in essence stunts growth. and like i said in my previous post, if you dont work out you just get water-logged. if you are using creatine, at least try to wait till your growth plates are sealed. a good substitute for any ped or protein/creatine shake is dedication to be in the weight room. get in on a daily basis, do cardio, for an hour or so a day and you are golden in a few months.

why substitute for a protien shake, those are healthy either way you look at it, and they are the best thing a student can take to gain muscle and strength, and its all natural. It does no harm to your body at all, a 10 year old could take protien shakes and it wouldnt hurt him

wrong..because of the fact that most protein shakes have some amount of creatine in it. in case you didnt know, protein mixes, creatine, and supplements arent regulated by the FDA, meaning that the producers dont have to put all or any of the ingredients on the label.

well, first of all creatine isnt bad for you and second of all i know quite a bit about protien shakes considering i have tried all kinds, and if you find the right kind it will do nothing but benifit you, all it is is a protein just like eating chicken or steak but from whey, its all natural, and perfectly healthy, its even good to take when you have a cold or get sick. if a high school kid wants to gain muscle when he lifts he needs protein, and a shake is one of the best and easiest things to take
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 am

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/creatine.html
just a little about creatine for anyone who didnt believe my last post
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby poweraidman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:00 pm

great article, that changed my mind about creatine, but like i said before if you get the right protein supplements, they will do no harm to your body, even if taken for years. The best kind that i found, and still use today is Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey(in the delicious strawberry flavor).
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 am

im not sure if it was in this article or another one that i read that was also from Rice that said that all proteins, no matter what the label says, have impurities. the impurities are terrible for your body and are most often creatine. a great substitute for any protein or creatine product is dedication to lift and do cardio on a daily basis. if you do it enough you dont even need a supplement to stay in shape. and instead of feeling flabby and water-logged after you dont lift for a while, you will feel dare i say it, normal..sorry to alll who dont agree with me but im not a fan of supplements of any kind...if you need them, theres something wrong.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:20 pm

riders wrote:im not sure if it was in this article or another one that i read that was also from Rice that said that all proteins, no matter what the label says, have impurities. the impurities are terrible for your body and are most often creatine. a great substitute for any protein or creatine product is dedication to lift and do cardio on a daily basis. if you do it enough you dont even need a supplement to stay in shape. and instead of feeling flabby and water-logged after you dont lift for a while, you will feel dare i say it, normal..sorry to alll who dont agree with me but im not a fan of supplements of any kind...if you need them, theres something wrong.

haha are you serious with this post guy? you obviously don't have a clue what your talking about.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:37 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:
riders wrote:im not sure if it was in this article or another one that i read that was also from Rice that said that all proteins, no matter what the label says, have impurities. the impurities are terrible for your body and are most often creatine. a great substitute for any protein or creatine product is dedication to lift and do cardio on a daily basis. if you do it enough you dont even need a supplement to stay in shape. and instead of feeling flabby and water-logged after you dont lift for a while, you will feel dare i say it, normal..sorry to alll who dont agree with me but im not a fan of supplements of any kind...if you need them, theres something wrong.

haha are you serious with this post guy? you obviously don't have a clue what your talking about.

i actually agree with him....esspecially the "if you need them, theres something wrong" part
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby poweraidman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:43 pm

you need protien to gain muscle..unless your going to eat high protein foods right after a workout, your not gonna gain much, and a protein shake takes 2 minutes to make and is fast buring protein, your muscles need that to gain specially right after a workout.
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AC-DC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm a bit concerned about the creatine and growing bodies issue, but I have to say I'm a fan of the protein shakes. One of my son's is the eat anything and not gain an ounce type. He was getting really worn down by football, hockey and track practice until he started the protein and weight gainer shakes. He obviously wasn't getting enough nutrition and it definetly helped him out. Add some frozen fruit and it was something easy he could make and enjoyed.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:14 pm

like i said in my previous posts--there are impurities in all kinds of protein and creatine. these supplements are not regulated by the FDA, meaning that THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PUT ALL OR ANY OF THE INGREDIENTS ON THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS LABEL. the impurities are bad for you and they are in every product out there whether it says 100% ___ protein or not.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeystud6 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:53 am

riders wrote:like i said in my previous posts--there are impurities in all kinds of protein and creatine. these supplements are not regulated by the FDA, meaning that THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PUT ALL OR ANY OF THE INGREDIENTS ON THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS LABEL. the impurities are bad for you and they are in every product out there whether it says 100% ___ protein or not.

your not the sharpest tool in the shed are you. all supplements have to be regulated by the FDA otherwise they could just put poop in a jug and call it whey protein.
hockeystud6

Postby riders » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:32 am

hockeystud6 wrote:
riders wrote:like i said in my previous posts--there are impurities in all kinds of protein and creatine. these supplements are not regulated by the FDA, meaning that THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PUT ALL OR ANY OF THE INGREDIENTS ON THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS LABEL. the impurities are bad for you and they are in every product out there whether it says 100% ___ protein or not.

your not the sharpest tool in the shed are you. all supplements have to be regulated by the FDA otherwise they could just put poop in a jug and call it whey protein.

here are a few links stating what i have said in all of my posts on this topic. im not sure if you even know what this topic is about because you are way off and to tell me that im wrong when its acuually you is showing how ignorant you really are. before you say something foolish like that, do your homework and get it right.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Weightliftin ... ements.htm
--this one says for those with liver disease but it states my point
http://www.liverdisease.com/aminoacids_hepatitis.html
scroll down to "Are dietary supplememts safe"
http://www.ohsolution.com/whey%20protien.htm

if you need more proof tell me because ive done my research
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jefferson Clark » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:12 am

i want to start off by saying hockeystud you are the man lets get together and hang sometime. second i just visited FDA. gov and found that creatine and whey protein have regulation numbers so they are regulated by the food and drug administration. maybe the actual product on the shelf is not checked but the ingredients in it need to be so you should be more specific with your comments so people dont minunderstand you
Jefferson Clark

Postby riders » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:27 am

that was my whole statement is that the products that are on the shelf are not regulated by the FDA. the regular creatine and whey protein may be regulated but THE PRODUCTS ARE NOT. the chemicals can be regulated. why do you think that the products on the shelf dont have an ingredient label? because they are not regulated.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics